Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irish Unification Referendum 18:34 - Feb 7 with 5295 viewsjohnlangy

When there is a unification referendum a very strange occurrence could take place.

In the 2019 GE a huge number of natural Labour voters in the Red Wall seats voted Conservative for the very first (and hopefully last) time. And they did that in order to ‘Get Brexit Done’. They ‘lent’ the Conservatives their vote for the one specific purpose. Because they had voted for Brexit.

In Northern Ireland, in the 2016 referendum, the vote was 58% to remain. Which means that a substantial number of unionists voted for remain. So, when the Unification referendum happens it’s quite possible that a similar thing will happen as per the 2019 GE. Except in reverse.

The Red Wall voters voted Tory to get Brexit done. In NI unionists may vote for the Nationalists unification argument (lend them their vote for the one specific purpose) in order to rejoin the EU. Because they had voted remain.

An interesting thought.
Irish Unification Referendum on 18:28 - Feb 16 with 728 viewsBoundy

Irish Unification Referendum on 17:20 - Feb 16 by SullutaCreturned

Killy has his own facts, his own truth and its different to most other peoples.

There never was a Wales the way Kilky imagines it.

Is it true or an urban myth that anyone can insert / delete "facts " into Wiki ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:39 - Feb 16 with 702 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 09:49 - Feb 16 by felixstowe_jack

Killy will never admit his definition of a Nation is at odds with 90% of the worlds population..

He even thinks everyone one in the UK retreated to Wales when the Anglo Saxons, vikings and Normans settled in Wales. This is despite all the genetic testing which proved most of the Ancient Britions just remained where they where.

The DNA of the Welsh population has shown that even in medieval times rhe was no one Welsh DNA group but 5 separate DNA types suggesting 5 different tribal areas rather than a single nation. Genetically North and South Wales are as Genetically different as Scotland and Southern England which proves there was never a single Genetic race in Wales.

Yes the Professors all suck …..

‘Speaking of these results, Professor Peter Donnelly, of the University of Oxford, said that the Welsh carry DNA which could be the most ancient in UK and that people from Wales are genetically relatively distinct.’

You have got it wrong yet again.

Beware of the Risen People

Irish Unification Referendum on 21:37 - Feb 16 with 685 viewsSullutaCreturned

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:39 - Feb 16 by Kilkennyjack

Yes the Professors all suck …..

‘Speaking of these results, Professor Peter Donnelly, of the University of Oxford, said that the Welsh carry DNA which could be the most ancient in UK and that people from Wales are genetically relatively distinct.’

You have got it wrong yet again.

He also said people in North Wales look relatively distinct from South Walians.

Theres this excerpt,

He said people from south and north Wales genetically have "fairly large similarities with the ancestry of people from Ireland on the one hand and France on the other, which we think is most likely to be a combination of remnants of very ancient populations who moved across into Britain after the last Ice Age.

"And potentially also, people travelling up the Atlantic coast of France and Spain and settling in Wales many thousands of years ago".

So Welsh ancestry isnt Welsh, it's from Europe. here's the link and Kilky, it doesn't really say what you want it to say,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18489735
Irish Unification Referendum on 13:00 - Feb 18 with 617 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 09:49 - Feb 16 by felixstowe_jack

Killy will never admit his definition of a Nation is at odds with 90% of the worlds population..

He even thinks everyone one in the UK retreated to Wales when the Anglo Saxons, vikings and Normans settled in Wales. This is despite all the genetic testing which proved most of the Ancient Britions just remained where they where.

The DNA of the Welsh population has shown that even in medieval times rhe was no one Welsh DNA group but 5 separate DNA types suggesting 5 different tribal areas rather than a single nation. Genetically North and South Wales are as Genetically different as Scotland and Southern England which proves there was never a single Genetic race in Wales.

Except there is ….

‘Britain’s most ancient people

It’s thought by scientists in recent years that the Welsh might be Britain’s most ancient people on the island! The reason for this theory is that many Welsh remain genetically distinct from English and Scottish people, with a genetic mutation present from the last Ice Age, 10,000 years ago. This mutation is the same as those hunter-gatherers who left Spain and France and travelled over to Britain when things got extremely chilly. Some scientists believe the Welsh may have been in Britain for as long as 9,000 years.

Whilst most English people are more genetically similar to the Danish and the Germans, due to historical relations, the Welsh managed to use their geographical position in the far west to avoid as much intermarriage and mixing with Romans, Danes, Germans, and more. This has largely continued to this day.’

Someone better tell Ancestry.com that they are wrong as well ….. ?!

Irish Unification Referendum on 13:44 - Feb 18 with 608 viewsSullutaCreturned

Irish Unification Referendum on 13:00 - Feb 18 by Kilkennyjack

Except there is ….

It’s thought by scientists in recent years that the Welsh might be Britain’s most ancient people on the island! The reason for this theory is that many Welsh remain genetically distinct from English and Scottish people, with a genetic mutation present from the last Ice Age, 10,000 years ago. This mutation is the same as those hunter-gatherers who left Spain and France and travelled over to Britain when things got extremely chilly. Some scientists believe the Welsh may have been in Britain for as long as 9,000 years.

Whilst most English people are more genetically similar to the Danish and the Germans, due to historical relations, the Welsh managed to use their geographical position in the far west to avoid as much intermarriage and mixing with Romans, Danes, Germans, and more. This has largely continued to this day.’

I've told you before, Kilky, you ARE British, assuming you are Welsh. We are the original British.

Not that it matters eh, because you want a "modern" Wales which, judging by your support for devolution includes a Wales riven with poverty, third world services in a country that is becoming a retirement home for non Welsh OAP's.

Some of us want better.

What has this to do with irish unification though?
Irish Unification Referendum on 17:21 - Feb 18 with 582 viewsunion_jack

Except there is ….

I wouldn’t go down the ancestry.com route if I were you. You’re a bit sensitive to this nationality issue. I think you’d be hanging yourself after a few generations unless that’s where the Irish kicks in?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Irish Unification Referendum on 09:51 - Feb 19 with 529 viewsAnotherJohn

Even an enthusiast for unification writing in the Guardian realises there are problems to do with the Republic's two-tier society, and sub-optimal health and welfare provision.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/a-united-ireland-is-closer-than-ever-let-s-

What he doesn't say is that the EU assisted the downward spiral when it imposed the excessive deficit procedure and forced a turn towards austerity.
Irish Unification Referendum on 12:46 - Feb 19 with 502 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Except there is ….

There was no Britain let alone Wales 9,000 years ago.
It was not until about 2000 years term Britanica was first used by the Romans when the land mass of present day was occupied by hundreds of local tribes.

The Word Wales was not even mentioned until Anglo Saxons times and meany outsiders.

Though not sure what you latest rant has to with an Irish Referendum.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Login to get fewer ads

Irish Unification Referendum on 15:38 - Feb 19 with 472 viewsSullutaCreturned

Irish Unification Referendum on 12:46 - Feb 19 by felixstowe_jack

There was no Britain let alone Wales 9,000 years ago.
It was not until about 2000 years term Britanica was first used by the Romans when the land mass of present day was occupied by hundreds of local tribes.

The Word Wales was not even mentioned until Anglo Saxons times and meany outsiders.

Though not sure what you latest rant has to with an Irish Referendum.

You're wasting your time, I told him ages ago that the name we use for ourselves is basically an insult from the dark ages.
Irish Unification Referendum on 16:20 - Feb 19 with 459 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Except there is ….

Lots of inbreeding then?

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Irish Unification Referendum on 17:01 - Feb 19 with 444 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 16:20 - Feb 19 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Lots of inbreeding then?

Talking inbreeding,you ever been to Caernarfon ?

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Irish Unification Referendum on 17:29 - Feb 19 with 435 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Irish Unification Referendum on 17:01 - Feb 19 by onehunglow

Talking inbreeding,you ever been to Caernarfon ?

No but I hear there’s an awful lot of ancient dna there.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Irish Unification Referendum on 17:42 - Feb 19 with 423 viewsSullutaCreturned

Irish Unification Referendum on 09:51 - Feb 19 by AnotherJohn

Even an enthusiast for unification writing in the Guardian realises there are problems to do with the Republic's two-tier society, and sub-optimal health and welfare provision.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/a-united-ireland-is-closer-than-ever-let-s-

What he doesn't say is that the EU assisted the downward spiral when it imposed the excessive deficit procedure and forced a turn towards austerity.

I read most of it but stopped here,

Amid the vagueness of Sinn Féin’s plans, the so-far timorous Irish left should step in to map out a bold vision for a new political and economic settlement for the island – one that aims at shifting power to ordinary workers. Drastic constitutional change will flourish best in tandem with kindred social programmes, which will drag Ireland from being the lowest spender on public services in the EU to a country that ends privatisation, invests in public infrastructure and reduces a fatal reliance on low-tax loopholes for multinationals.

The transfer of power could be used to plan for decarbonisation, to remove class discriminations in health and education, and to breathe new life into Irish democracy by reducing a crippling reliance on citizens’ assemblies. It could revitalise the labour movement, one of the only social organisations that operates on an all-Ireland basis (the Irish Congress of Trade Unions covers the south and the north).

Now that is interesting, the lowest spender on public services in the EU, a 2 tier health system, discrimination in health and education. Seems to me many in the North may not like that but then, it's not like they are fantastically well off in the UK.

The idea though that a united Ireland will be more prosperous than the ROI and NI are seperately seems odd to me. NI runs at a deficit so the ROI needs to bail that out.The ROI is doing ok economically but that could change sharply with reunification.
Irish Unification Referendum on 18:21 - Feb 19 with 412 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 17:29 - Feb 19 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

No but I hear there’s an awful lot of ancient dna there.

Close families matey,very close .

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:24 - Feb 19 with 410 viewsonehunglow

When challenged ,such unification seems madness .

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:06 - Feb 19 with 398 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 15:38 - Feb 19 by SullutaCreturned

You're wasting your time, I told him ages ago that the name we use for ourselves is basically an insult from the dark ages.

The name we use for ourselves is Cymru.

The Britain that people like me object to is the prioritisation of English culture at the expense of the cultures and languages of the celtic lands. You can and they do swap English and British in an interchangeable manner.

Look up the quote from Gwynfor Evans on the matter.

The indigenous people were welsh speaking.
You call them British.
I call them welsh.

You say they were not a nation state, i say that the way they lived and organised themselves was no more or no less than anywhere else. You believe they were a lesser people somehow.

You stick with your new King Charles and his Willy, and i will stick wanting a republic where we are modern European citizens and not on your knees subjects.

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:25 - Feb 19 with 392 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:06 - Feb 19 by Kilkennyjack

The name we use for ourselves is Cymru.

The Britain that people like me object to is the prioritisation of English culture at the expense of the cultures and languages of the celtic lands. You can and they do swap English and British in an interchangeable manner.

Look up the quote from Gwynfor Evans on the matter.

The indigenous people were welsh speaking.
You call them British.
I call them welsh.

You say they were not a nation state, i say that the way they lived and organised themselves was no more or no less than anywhere else. You believe they were a lesser people somehow.

You stick with your new King Charles and his Willy, and i will stick wanting a republic where we are modern European citizens and not on your knees subjects.

“We” ?
Not for the vast majority of Welshpeople .
Anyway,which anthem for the new United in love Ireland

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:35 - Feb 20 with 352 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:25 - Feb 19 by onehunglow

“We” ?
Not for the vast majority of Welshpeople .
Anyway,which anthem for the new United in love Ireland

Well all of Cymru, Scotland, and Ireland have songs about fighting for their lands against the English, just like America.

I would keep The Soldier Song.

I mean anything is better than the musical dirge of GSTK.
Nobody wants that.

Anthems always remind me of the actions of the great Terry Yorath at Wembley.
You wont play our anthem, thats up to you … but we will still sing it, thats up to us.
Arwr Cymru.

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:41 - Feb 20 with 352 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:35 - Feb 20 by Kilkennyjack

Well all of Cymru, Scotland, and Ireland have songs about fighting for their lands against the English, just like America.

I would keep The Soldier Song.

I mean anything is better than the musical dirge of GSTK.
Nobody wants that.

Anthems always remind me of the actions of the great Terry Yorath at Wembley.
You wont play our anthem, thats up to you … but we will still sing it, thats up to us.
Arwr Cymru.

So former UVF folk would be happy to sing along in Irish to the Rebels song
Fair play
Why not GSTK or Londonderry Air

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:19 - Feb 20 with 300 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:41 - Feb 20 by onehunglow

So former UVF folk would be happy to sing along in Irish to the Rebels song
Fair play
Why not GSTK or Londonderry Air

Well OHL - he aint the bleedin King of Ireland, is he ?

And there is no place called Londonderry as you well know.

The Fields is an option, but its the Soldier Song in Gaelic for me.

I also agree that the English deserve a better song than GSTK, its dirge.
Vindaloo is far better.

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:14 - Feb 21 with 272 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Londonderry is a city in Northern Ireland. I do wish you would try to get your facts right.

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:19 - Feb 21 with 271 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:19 - Feb 20 by Kilkennyjack

Well OHL - he aint the bleedin King of Ireland, is he ?

And there is no place called Londonderry as you well know.

The Fields is an option, but its the Soldier Song in Gaelic for me.

I also agree that the English deserve a better song than GSTK, its dirge.
Vindaloo is far better.

I’ve got an Atlas here and it says Londonderry
Honest
So,what anthem for the Protestants then,those who are and have been loyal to the Crown.
That’s the same Crown of our constitution under which we live.

Soldiers song,the anthem of choice in Ballymena

Irish Unification Referendum on 16:25 - Feb 21 with 246 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:14 - Feb 21 by felixstowe_jack

Londonderry is a city in Northern Ireland. I do wish you would try to get your facts right.

But all the people call it Derry.

So its Derry.

Also please use north of Ireland. Thank you.
NI was made up just 100 years ago.
[Post edited 21 Feb 16:28]

Irish Unification Referendum on 17:50 - Feb 21 with 226 viewsunion_jack

Irish Unification Referendum on 16:25 - Feb 21 by Kilkennyjack

So its Derry.

Why when the official and legal name for the area is Northern Ireland recognised by both the British and Irish governments. Not you though it seems😂.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:34 - Feb 21 with 222 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Irish Unification Referendum on 16:25 - Feb 21 by Kilkennyjack

So its Derry.

Northern Ireland is the name used by the majority of the the citizens of Northern Ireland and of course the UK and the EU.

The North of Ireland was a made name used by woke people from about 5 years ago.

Wrong again not all the people call it Derry .

Just as most people in Wales refer the Brecon Beacons, Snowden, Swansea, Cardiff, Newport and of course Wales.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024