Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charles Hebdo Latest Edition 10:14 - Jan 13 with 18148 viewsjacksinceever

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/mohammed-cartoon-on-charlie-hebdo-cover/ar-
I can totally understand the reasons for this cover. Just have a horrible feeling the West will see a horrible backlash from Al Queda and the other extremists
Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 18:05 - Jan 13 with 13376 viewscontroversial_jack

I don't think it's Al Queda, they have bigger fish to fry, more likely the work of some lone nutters
Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 18:29 - Jan 13 with 13344 viewsItchySphincter

On the one hand it could be interpreted as a taunt but on the other what else could they do?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:07 - Jan 13 with 13298 viewsexiledclaseboy

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 18:29 - Jan 13 by ItchySphincter

On the one hand it could be interpreted as a taunt but on the other what else could they do?

I'd never heard of the magazine until last week but apparently its reason d'etre has always been to be as deliberately and provocatively offensive as possible so there's no reason to change now. Indeed, to do so would undoubtedly have been a victory for last week's murderers.

Poll: Tory leader

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:13 - Jan 13 with 13287 viewscontroversial_jack

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:07 - Jan 13 by exiledclaseboy

I'd never heard of the magazine until last week but apparently its reason d'etre has always been to be as deliberately and provocatively offensive as possible so there's no reason to change now. Indeed, to do so would undoubtedly have been a victory for last week's murderers.

The editor would probably have been prosecuted in this country
Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:14 - Jan 13 with 13277 viewsGowerjack

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:13 - Jan 13 by controversial_jack

Charged with what?

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:17 - Jan 13 with 13269 viewsexiledclaseboy

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:13 - Jan 13 by controversial_jack

I doubt he would have but it's gratifying to see that all British media organs (as far as I know) have had the good sense no to re-print these pictures.

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:18 - Jan 13 with 13267 viewsGowerjack

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:17 - Jan 13 by exiledclaseboy

I doubt he would have but it's gratifying to see that all British media organs (as far as I know) have had the good sense no to re-print these pictures.

The BBC showed the cover in full on the six o clock news.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:22 - Jan 13 with 13254 viewsexiledclaseboy

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:18 - Jan 13 by Gowerjack

The BBC showed the cover in full on the six o clock news.

They did? I didn't see that. With the picture as well? Heard on the radio this afternoon that the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 had taken an editorial decision not to show them. Unless I misheard.

Login to get fewer ads

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:26 - Jan 13 with 13249 viewsthe_oracle

I took the front page as meaning that Mohammed would have been against the killing and would support the Je Suis Charlie sentiment. This is not an attack on Islam but on the extremists. How any moderate Muslim could find this offensive is beyond me.
Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:28 - Jan 13 with 13247 viewsVetchitBack

I think it would have been good if every European newspaper published them a bit like "I'm Spartacus" but that would never happen certainly not in this country.

Problem is I don't believe Islamists will appreciate the consession. There's plenty of reasons to kill in the Koran.

If it was a case of "Thanks for not making cartoons of the Prophet. We will now keep our heads down."

I'm afraid that's fantasy.

I think we need to examine the ideologies and politics which lead us to think importing millions from an alien and hostile culture was a good idea.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2015 19:30]

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:29 - Jan 13 with 13243 viewsexiledclaseboy

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:26 - Jan 13 by the_oracle

I took the front page as meaning that Mohammed would have been against the killing and would support the Je Suis Charlie sentiment. This is not an attack on Islam but on the extremists. How any moderate Muslim could find this offensive is beyond me.

I take the point but all visual depictions of Mohammed are apparently offensive to Muslims, the context is irrelevant to them.

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:43 - Jan 13 with 13198 viewslondonlisa2001

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:17 - Jan 13 by exiledclaseboy

The Guardian showed the picture (together with a warning saying some readers may find it offensive).

I believe (though I haven't seen i myself) that the Indie also showed the picture.

Ironically it is the rabid anti Islamic pro UKIP right wing press in this country that have not printed it.
Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:47 - Jan 13 with 13188 viewsexiledclaseboy

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:43 - Jan 13 by londonlisa2001

The Guardian showed the picture (together with a warning saying some readers may find it offensive).

I believe (though I haven't seen i myself) that the Indie also showed the picture.

Ironically it is the rabid anti Islamic pro UKIP right wing press in this country that have not printed it.

I looked for it on the Guardian's website and couldn't find it. I did find an article by Roy Greenslade though outlining the British written press's seemingly unanimous decision not to re-publish Charlie Ebdo's previous drawings of the same thing. Perhaps the decision has been different for this cover.

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:52 - Jan 13 with 13175 viewslondonlisa2001

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:47 - Jan 13 by exiledclaseboy

I looked for it on the Guardian's website and couldn't find it. I did find an article by Roy Greenslade though outlining the British written press's seemingly unanimous decision not to re-publish Charlie Ebdo's previous drawings of the same thing. Perhaps the decision has been different for this cover.

well it's on the web site this afternoon because I read the article earlier and was quite surprised that they published it. Someone said they'd seen it on the Indie but I didn't look so not sure.

They also apparently are circulating Charlie Hebdo to the UK tomorrow via John Menzies (who do virtually all distribution of print media) - they were talking about security measures. That'll be interesting given the ethnicity of many newsagents (In London that is, not talking about Billy Hole's) !!
Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:54 - Jan 13 with 13170 viewsDarran

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:47 - Jan 13 by exiledclaseboy

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/13/charlie-hebdo-cover-magazine-prophe

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:55 - Jan 13 with 13168 viewsexiledclaseboy

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:52 - Jan 13 by londonlisa2001

well it's on the web site this afternoon because I read the article earlier and was quite surprised that they published it. Someone said they'd seen it on the Indie but I didn't look so not sure.

They also apparently are circulating Charlie Hebdo to the UK tomorrow via John Menzies (who do virtually all distribution of print media) - they were talking about security measures. That'll be interesting given the ethnicity of many newsagents (In London that is, not talking about Billy Hole's) !!

Yeah found it on the Guardian now. Apologies. Interesting times.

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:56 - Jan 13 with 13166 viewslondonlisa2001

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:54 - Jan 13 by Darran

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/13/charlie-hebdo-cover-magazine-prophe

thanks Darran - yes that's the article that I read earlier with the warning.
Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 20:03 - Jan 13 with 13150 viewslondonlisa2001

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:55 - Jan 13 by exiledclaseboy

Yeah found it on the Guardian now. Apologies. Interesting times.

It is interesting.

The split of the press is ironic in that the 'left wing' press seem to have decided that despite their innate wish to be inoffensive to people from different ethnic / religious groups, their fundamental position is one of supporting freedom of expression / speech, whereas the Daily Mail for example, although probably naturally very 'anti' other cultures / religions, have taken the view that they actually don't particularly support freedom of expression / speech strongly enough to run a risk.
Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 20:08 - Jan 13 with 13140 viewsexiledclaseboy

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 20:03 - Jan 13 by londonlisa2001

It is interesting.

The split of the press is ironic in that the 'left wing' press seem to have decided that despite their innate wish to be inoffensive to people from different ethnic / religious groups, their fundamental position is one of supporting freedom of expression / speech, whereas the Daily Mail for example, although probably naturally very 'anti' other cultures / religions, have taken the view that they actually don't particularly support freedom of expression / speech strongly enough to run a risk.

I think the difference between this image and any previous ones is that this is part of what is now a genuine news story as opposed to a deliberate attempt to provoke and offend. I can't speak for the motivations of the Mail et al (thankfully the motivations of such people are beyond me) but it does seem surprising given their long-standing anti "Pee Cee" stances.

I suppose the more fundamental question is whether the right to free speech/expression (which let's be honest has never actually existed) trumps the right of any individual or group not to be offended.

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 20:08 - Jan 13 with 13136 viewsperchrockjack

It may be an act of defiance but it could rebound badly.

These kints aren't bothered about defiant acts mainly because they are utterly deluded.

THEY WILL use it as further justification for their cause.
Imo bad move

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 20:09 - Jan 13 with 13135 viewsVetchitBack

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:43 - Jan 13 by londonlisa2001

Not really ironic. The left are the natural enemies of Islam. An ultra-conservative religion which doubles as a political and legal framework where the rights of women, homosexuals and apostates (and non-Muslims generally) are restricted or taken away completely should have been getting it both barrels from the Left for years now.

The fact that this has rarely been the case should be a point of major interest to everyone.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2015 20:13]

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 20:22 - Jan 13 with 13107 viewslondonlisa2001

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 20:08 - Jan 13 by perchrockjack

It may be an act of defiance but it could rebound badly.

These kints aren't bothered about defiant acts mainly because they are utterly deluded.

THEY WILL use it as further justification for their cause.
Imo bad move

Justification is easily found if someone is looking for it.

Anyone that is able to justify killing someone because of a cartoon printed in a newspaper will be able to find something else if none of them had printed it. It doesn't change what will happen even slightly.
Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 20:29 - Jan 13 with 13085 viewsperchrockjack

And hence the proble.
These people can't be spoken to or negotiated with.

Hard to see any effective way to deal .

I d suggest nobody could get inside their heads and address any grievances they had.

Apart from nuking israel and or giving Palestinians their land back.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 20:54 - Jan 13 with 13040 viewsAquinas

As many islamic commentators have said, its only against the Koran if it is a Muslim taking the piss out of their god. So all the feral islamists either clearly cannot read or they were doing it to scaremonger rather than being genuinely offended.

Well done Charlie Hebdo. I hope someone finds the girl that crossed into Syria and staples the front cover to her (hopefully) lifeless head.
Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 21:15 - Jan 13 with 13015 viewscontroversial_jack

Charles Hebdo Latest Edition on 19:14 - Jan 13 by Gowerjack

Charged with what?

Not sure, but they would have made something up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024