Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh Chariots of Fire 18:41 - Aug 23 with 535 viewsbritferry

Stumbled across this earlier, was an interesting read so I thought I'd share it...

Cecil Griffiths from Neath, won gold at 1920 Olympics but got barred from the 1924 games by the posh Ox-bridge oiks who thought he'd spoil a jolly good film in years to come

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53860705
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-53874348/olympic-gold-medal-win-a-marvell

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Welsh Chariots of Fire on 13:10 - Aug 24 with 464 viewsCatullus

Ah the old boys club ensuring some nobody from Wales couldn't prove to be better than one of their own eh.

The right school tie and funny handshake can still get you to high places in this world even if you're a complete buffoon, can't they Boris?

Having a Welsh accent can still slam doors in your face which is why people like Heseltine learned to sound so plummy.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Welsh Chariots of Fire on 22:50 - Aug 24 with 421 viewsjack_lord

Welsh Chariots of Fire on 13:10 - Aug 24 by Catullus

Ah the old boys club ensuring some nobody from Wales couldn't prove to be better than one of their own eh.

The right school tie and funny handshake can still get you to high places in this world even if you're a complete buffoon, can't they Boris?

Having a Welsh accent can still slam doors in your face which is why people like Heseltine learned to sound so plummy.

Whilst it undoubtedly continues, it was a hundred years ago.
I had a conversation how this isn't just limited to the Welsh accent but anyone who didn't attend a top private school.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Welsh Chariots of Fire on 11:47 - Aug 25 with 392 viewstheloneranger

"In 1923, the Amateur Athletic Association imposed a lifetime ban on him after discovering he accepted cash prizes as a teenager, which contravened their rules."

"They discovered he'd run as a teenager in 1917 at a local event in Neath in a fundraising event for the First World War,"

"He won a small prize of £2 and he ran again as a 17-year-old at a bigger event in Swansea and won £2 again.

"But In 1923, that was used against him and just before the 1924 'Chariots of Fire' Olympics in Paris they hit him with an international ban."

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Welsh Chariots of Fire on 14:30 - Aug 25 with 355 viewsCatullus

Welsh Chariots of Fire on 22:50 - Aug 24 by jack_lord

Whilst it undoubtedly continues, it was a hundred years ago.
I had a conversation how this isn't just limited to the Welsh accent but anyone who didn't attend a top private school.

Oh yes, it applies to many regional accents though Scottish seems to be quite acceptable.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024