Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs 00:32 - Apr 29 with 993 viewsReslovenSwan1

Josh Bowler, Nathan Broadhead, Callum Connolly, Denis Adenirian may all be on free from Everton this summer. Some already on the fringes of their first team.

Swansea need to be fishing in this pond. Same type of option as Latibeaudiere and Whittaker. Broadhead also a Welsh Striker and prodigous at u23 level. Callum Connolly was the notional extra makeweight player projected in the Sigurdson deal.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-still-eight

[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 0:34]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 07:47 - Apr 29 with 930 viewsThornburyswan

Agree this is where Scott needs to evidence his worth.
Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 08:32 - Apr 29 with 895 viewsonehunglow

That the first time Ive seen the Liverpool Echo be trawled for summat positive

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 13:58 - Apr 30 with 784 viewsKilkennyjack

Great news for our Academy lads ....

Beware of the Risen People

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 14:43 - Apr 30 with 770 viewsReslovenSwan1

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 13:58 - Apr 30 by Kilkennyjack

Great news for our Academy lads ....

They have no right to a place in the first team and have to earn it. Dan James's heart might have sunk when Potter brought his Swedish chum Asoro after that disppointing spell at Shrewsbury. James is at Man Utd and Aroso and Djargardens FC saying Swansea did not use him properly.

The ex Shrewsbury manager has moved down a league or two.

Swansea city will soon need to trim its wages to under £15m and than means lower average wages and younger players on less money. Routledge, Smith, Bidwell Bennett Fulton Grimes and byers will have to deliver.

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 15:23 - Apr 30 with 757 viewsKilkennyjack

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 14:43 - Apr 30 by ReslovenSwan1

They have no right to a place in the first team and have to earn it. Dan James's heart might have sunk when Potter brought his Swedish chum Asoro after that disppointing spell at Shrewsbury. James is at Man Utd and Aroso and Djargardens FC saying Swansea did not use him properly.

The ex Shrewsbury manager has moved down a league or two.

Swansea city will soon need to trim its wages to under £15m and than means lower average wages and younger players on less money. Routledge, Smith, Bidwell Bennett Fulton Grimes and byers will have to deliver.

Whats the point in our academy then ?

If we feel ‘body snatching’ is a better model, then just be honest about it ....

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 15:53 - Apr 30 with 748 viewsjasper_T

The Shrewsbury manager didn't exactly make a bad decision to send DJ back as they did it to make space for Ben Godfrey who it turns out isn't a bad player either. Maybe if they could have afforded both they'd have maintained their unlikely promotion push but who knows.

If we want to continue spending millions a year on an academy there has to be an effort to help the players it produces through as far as they can go. Financially it's not viable to wait for the rare few to "earn it", and continually recruit ahead of them. The academy will cost ~10% of our basic income, it needs to pay its way even if we're producing players of lower EFL quality that can secure modest fees/solidarity payments in the future.

DJ came through when he did because Potter made a deliberate effort to give a big squad of young players opportunities in the first half of that season. He could have gone back out on loan again until he "had the right to a first team place" here. Not all who were given chances have gone on to better things but the process strengthened the club overall.

Broadhead's a decent player. Bit blinkered and stuck in that gap between being a striker and a wide player. Didn't tear up trees in League One so he'd be a project similar to Whittaker. Bowler was very good at u23s level whenever I saw him but not seen much of him in the Championship.
Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 15:54 - Apr 30 with 748 viewsandypitt56

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 15:23 - Apr 30 by Kilkennyjack

If we feel ‘body snatching’ is a better model, then just be honest about it ....

To be fair, that is what we did before. we bought in prospects to bolster the squads.
Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 15:59 - Apr 30 with 744 viewsjasper_T

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 15:54 - Apr 30 by andypitt56

To be fair, that is what we did before. we bought in prospects to bolster the squads.

When we used to do that we could afford to spend six figures on a 19 year old, pack him away in the reserves for a couple of years until he'd developed (with the help of a few loans) and then eventually give him a chance. And it was a policy that didn't pay dividends until we were relegated.

Much harder to get that calibre of player now when we don't have the money available or time to leave them in the oven. Brentford do a great job with their body snatching model but closed their expensive academy as part of the approach.
Login to get fewer ads

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 13:54 - May 1 with 672 viewsKeithHaynes

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 15:59 - Apr 30 by jasper_T

When we used to do that we could afford to spend six figures on a 19 year old, pack him away in the reserves for a couple of years until he'd developed (with the help of a few loans) and then eventually give him a chance. And it was a policy that didn't pay dividends until we were relegated.

Much harder to get that calibre of player now when we don't have the money available or time to leave them in the oven. Brentford do a great job with their body snatching model but closed their expensive academy as part of the approach.

Grimes and McBurnnie are good examples.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 15:23 - May 1 with 644 viewsReslovenSwan1

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 15:23 - Apr 30 by Kilkennyjack

I find it hard with your political affiliations to see how you can object to spending money on the Swansea city academy. It gives numerous young lads for South Wales opportunities for the big time. In the old days Gareth Bale went to Southampton and John Hartson to Luton. Southampton had a facilty in Bath to look after thevWelsh lads as the local teams were not fit for purpose.

Rodon, Roberts, Cabango, Cullen, Cooper O and B are all local boys benefitting from the Academy and with a good chance of making the grade and a carreer. This is developing local lads locally for benefit of local club helping to maintain 300 local jobs. What is not to like.?

ANY local player good enough will be given his chance to make the grade. The imported players like Benda, Garrick supplements this group. They will not block the progress of anyone. The people that block progress of players are the like of Woodman and Guehi who are elite players. See it as a conveyor belt. Roberts and Cabango are two of Swansea s most saleable assets. Brandon Cooper will replace one and free up a slot for Cameron Evans.

The use of the phrase "body snatching" is the type of over emotive BS I have become used to on this forum bourne out of the Sunday school preachers pulpit. Swansea are in a competition and benefit from the fact that PL can only player 11 players at one time. It is to Swansea's credit that their developed players are on a par with anybody else's players.

I again salute Huw jenkins and Mr Morgan for their foresight and providing these facilites. I can inform you Mr Tan's money is today driving in piles at Cardiff new Acadmey development in Canton. There is a Panzer Tiger tank on Swansea's lawn.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 15:25]

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 19:16 - May 1 with 595 viewsKilkennyjack

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 15:23 - May 1 by ReslovenSwan1

I find it hard with your political affiliations to see how you can object to spending money on the Swansea city academy. It gives numerous young lads for South Wales opportunities for the big time. In the old days Gareth Bale went to Southampton and John Hartson to Luton. Southampton had a facilty in Bath to look after thevWelsh lads as the local teams were not fit for purpose.

Rodon, Roberts, Cabango, Cullen, Cooper O and B are all local boys benefitting from the Academy and with a good chance of making the grade and a carreer. This is developing local lads locally for benefit of local club helping to maintain 300 local jobs. What is not to like.?

ANY local player good enough will be given his chance to make the grade. The imported players like Benda, Garrick supplements this group. They will not block the progress of anyone. The people that block progress of players are the like of Woodman and Guehi who are elite players. See it as a conveyor belt. Roberts and Cabango are two of Swansea s most saleable assets. Brandon Cooper will replace one and free up a slot for Cameron Evans.

The use of the phrase "body snatching" is the type of over emotive BS I have become used to on this forum bourne out of the Sunday school preachers pulpit. Swansea are in a competition and benefit from the fact that PL can only player 11 players at one time. It is to Swansea's credit that their developed players are on a par with anybody else's players.

I again salute Huw jenkins and Mr Morgan for their foresight and providing these facilites. I can inform you Mr Tan's money is today driving in piles at Cardiff new Acadmey development in Canton. There is a Panzer Tiger tank on Swansea's lawn.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 15:25]

I am pro-local talent.
Very proud of Roberts today.

I distrust body snatching.
For example, Tyler Reid from Man utd could have blocked Connor.
Last i heard he was at Woking.
I wish him well.

We cannot afford a big academy any more.
We cannot afford body snatching any more.

If the answer is to work with our local lads, then that suits our club.

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 19:52 - May 1 with 581 viewsjasper_T

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 19:16 - May 1 by Kilkennyjack

I am pro-local talent.

I wish him well.

Tyler Reid's apparently in Finland's second tier with FF Jaro now. Brought in ahead of Aaron Lewis who is now playing regularly in League Two with Newport after a couple of false starts elsewhere in the EFL.
Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 21:06 - May 1 with 564 viewsKilkennyjack

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 19:52 - May 1 by jasper_T

Tyler Reid's apparently in Finland's second tier with FF Jaro now. Brought in ahead of Aaron Lewis who is now playing regularly in League Two with Newport after a couple of false starts elsewhere in the EFL.

But but but ... we had Connor on the books, a year ahead ?

Why bring another right back in from Man Utd ?

Unless Connors potential was not obvious perhaps.
We can only play one right back after all.

Its not joined up thinking to me.
More like agents and lazy recruitment.

I might be wrong of course.

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 21:44 - May 1 with 550 viewsjasper_T

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 21:06 - May 1 by Kilkennyjack

But but but ... we had Connor on the books, a year ahead ?

Why bring another right back in from Man Utd ?

Unless Connors potential was not obvious perhaps.
We can only play one right back after all.

Its not joined up thinking to me.
More like agents and lazy recruitment.

I might be wrong of course.

You don't just hedge your bets on one player, the production line keeps moving. Connor had his year with Yeovil before we signed Reid and was heading back out on loan to Bristol Rovers, so bringing Reid into the u23s was no impediment to Connor's chances at progression.

Reid's presence did mean Lewis had to play predominantly at left back for a couple of seasons, and a few decent local lads in that position went without pro contracts that might have seen them progress beyond careers in the Welsh leagues. He wasn't awful but his physique tricked a few into thinking he was a better footballer than he really was, which showed when he tried to step up to senior football and couldn't bully opposing players as easily with raw strength and pace.
Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 22:09 - May 1 with 535 viewsKeithHaynes

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 19:16 - May 1 by Kilkennyjack

I am pro-local talent.

I wish him well.

It was mentioned tonight on the bbc, Roberts, B. Cooper, O. Cooper, Cabango, Cullen, Byers, Rodon, they mentioned Grimes from a development point of view, Dan James, Fulton and McBurnnie.

Personally I think we have done ok.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 22:33 - May 1 with 525 viewsReslovenSwan1

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 22:09 - May 1 by KeithHaynes

It was mentioned tonight on the bbc, Roberts, B. Cooper, O. Cooper, Cabango, Cullen, Byers, Rodon, they mentioned Grimes from a development point of view, Dan James, Fulton and McBurnnie.

The curent U23 is struggling for players with 4 or 5 trialists. The likes of Kieran Evans and Mason James Thomas and Owain Jones were given every chance to deliver and came up short regretibly. Perhaps they will go to the LoW and develop further and give it another crack down the road. I wish them good luck. Marley Watkins did this.

They could still be turning out but for what purpose?

4 or 5 trailists are given the space and the opportunity and 17 year olds s are back in the U18s and 15 year old back in the u16 team.

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 23:10 - May 1 with 518 viewsjasper_T

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 22:33 - May 1 by ReslovenSwan1

The curent U23 is struggling for players with 4 or 5 trialists. The likes of Kieran Evans and Mason James Thomas and Owain Jones were given every chance to deliver and came up short regretibly. Perhaps they will go to the LoW and develop further and give it another crack down the road. I wish them good luck. Marley Watkins did this.

They could still be turning out but for what purpose?

4 or 5 trailists are given the space and the opportunity and 17 year olds s are back in the U18s and 15 year old back in the u16 team.

Owain Jones plays for Aberystwyth after a couple of spells at Merthyr and others, and done some coaching badges. Hard to make a living once you fall off the Football League radar, especially now. Released at 20 when we were still a PL club.

Mason is at Penybont, got a one year pro contract with us and was injured for much of it unfortunately. Released at 19.

Not sure what Keiran Evans is up to. Released at 21.
Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 23:30 - May 1 with 507 viewsjasper_T

Plenty of good prospects 21-22 becoming available at big clubs on 22:09 - May 1 by KeithHaynes

"Okay" would be my assessment, too. If you include young players bought in who spent some time with the reserves I imagine most clubs at this level boast a similar record for development. It only stands out with us because we had the logjam while in the PL and then 3/4 years of sparse production came through at once. Fulton's 7 years older than Cabango, he'd played 80 games for Falkirk when Landore was still a set of blueprints.

B. Cooper & Cabango - 2000
O. Cooper & Cullen - 1999
Rodon & James - 1997
Roberts - 1995
Ben Davies - 1993

Cardiff maybe getting their act together, a second start for Rubin Colwill (2002) today and a goal for Mark Harris (1998). Long way to go though.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 23:38]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024