Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Market Butchers. 16:37 - May 15 with 605 viewslifelong

Was in Town today for my weekly visit to the Market, Hugh Phillips butchers, established in the 1870’s, has closed down permanently.
Notice in the window stating, words to the effect, that due to farming costs and others pressures the business had become unsustainable and that it was with a heavy heart that the business had to close.
Very sad day for the City.
Swansea Market Butchers. on 16:39 - May 15 with 601 viewsDaPs166

Our priorities in this country are completely wrong.

We want the cheapest food prices and constantly shout at Restaurants to be as cheap as possible, and spend far too much on sky tv, booze and fags, amongst other things.
Swansea Market Butchers. on 17:08 - May 15 with 555 viewsmajorraglan

Swansea Market Butchers. on 16:39 - May 15 by DaPs166

Our priorities in this country are completely wrong.

We want the cheapest food prices and constantly shout at Restaurants to be as cheap as possible, and spend far too much on sky tv, booze and fags, amongst other things.

The little guys are being squeezed out while places like Tesco make heaps of cash.
Swansea Market Butchers. on 18:17 - May 15 with 514 viewscontroversial_jack

Brexit working well then?
Swansea Market Butchers. on 18:43 - May 15 with 487 viewsLuther27

Swansea Market Butchers. on 18:17 - May 15 by controversial_jack

Brexit working well then?

EU not working either as their farmers are also protesting against cheap imports. Even the bloody Indian farmers are complaining about cheap imports!!!!
Swansea Market Butchers. on 19:10 - May 15 with 450 viewsTheAlpineShrew

Went there today, very disappointed.
Swansea Market Butchers. on 19:39 - May 15 with 421 viewsmax936

Swansea Market Butchers. on 19:10 - May 15 by TheAlpineShrew

Went there today, very disappointed.

Is that the Butchers on the far left on the corner opposite centre island cockle sellers on the Walkway that leads to the exit/entrance onto Union St?

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea Market Butchers. on 19:49 - May 15 with 399 viewsunion_jack

Swansea Market Butchers. on 19:39 - May 15 by max936

Is that the Butchers on the far left on the corner opposite centre island cockle sellers on the Walkway that leads to the exit/entrance onto Union St?

Yes, I think it is. A good butcher.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea Market Butchers. on 19:58 - May 15 with 385 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swansea Market Butchers. on 17:08 - May 15 by majorraglan

The little guys are being squeezed out while places like Tesco make heaps of cash.

I've said it before, it's the supermarket business strategy to force small, local shops out of business. Tesco have gone a step further with their "extra" shops and atually put them nearby to local businesses.

The other downside to supermarkets is of course, pollution and environmental damage which is exacerbated by all that plastic wrapping not to forget their offers that see us buy more food than we need and bin so muchof it. Then they themselves chuck tonnes of the stauff away every day.

Supermarkets squeeze prices to farmers puttingthem under so much pressure they've started walking away and what do we do when all our farmers have quit? Indusrial scale farming is going to prove a nightmare for us I'm sure.
Look at the health problems already associated with ultra processed foods and junk foods.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Market Butchers. on 19:59 - May 15 with 385 viewshobo

All engineered under the guise of 'climate change'. Eventually our sole source of food will be from the government
Swansea Market Butchers. on 20:01 - May 15 with 381 viewsmax936

Swansea Market Butchers. on 19:49 - May 15 by union_jack

Yes, I think it is. A good butcher.

Sad times, we've had meat from him a few times, its been quality. more and more small businesses are either packing their businesses up or going out of business through financial issue's, the days of the corner shop like the Mrs Davies's fruit and veg shop are long gone.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea Market Butchers. on 20:08 - May 15 with 374 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swansea Market Butchers. on 20:01 - May 15 by max936

Sad times, we've had meat from him a few times, its been quality. more and more small businesses are either packing their businesses up or going out of business through financial issue's, the days of the corner shop like the Mrs Davies's fruit and veg shop are long gone.

But we need to bring them back. When we had them there was better food, healthier people, local jobs and it was much better environmentally better too, no plastic waste.
Swansea Market Butchers. on 22:49 - May 15 with 278 viewsbuilthjack

I was told that Catherine is concentrating on the online side of the business, as well as supplying catering establishments and shops.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Swansea Market Butchers. on 23:54 - May 15 with 255 viewsBoundy

Swansea Market Butchers. on 20:08 - May 15 by SullutaCreturned

But we need to bring them back. When we had them there was better food, healthier people, local jobs and it was much better environmentally better too, no plastic waste.

But we can't get anyone to pick the crops that are grown ,it has had to become industrialised to be able to compete and the demands of the public for example of eating strawberries for example haven't helped.Most apples in the shops are at least a few months old .
Totally agree about bringing it back but I think we're too far gone as a society to see those days again

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Swansea Market Butchers. on 06:16 - May 16 with 202 viewsjackal

Dealt with him for years.

He was the only master butcher in Swansea. Bred, slaughtered and sold his own meat.

Sign of the times, I'm afraid.
Swansea Market Butchers. on 06:21 - May 16 with 199 views1983

Swansea Market Butchers. on 17:08 - May 15 by majorraglan

But we are all guilty of going there

Swansea Market Butchers. on 07:05 - May 16 with 171 viewsGwyn737

Swansea Market Butchers. on 06:21 - May 16 by 1983

That’s the bit that doesn’t get talked about enough.

It’s not necessarily a blame thing, it’s a time thing for most. Many households these days have all the adults in the household working.

I love shopping locally and there’s plenty of choice atm around me but it’s so rare I’ve got the time to do it.

It’s become a treat when I’ve a quiet weekend. Most of the time it’s an supermarket online delivery after 10pm.
Swansea Market Butchers. on 09:29 - May 16 with 97 viewsmangohilljack

If everybody had given the support the farmers needed when it was needed we would not have this thread.

Wake up people, some of us have been telling you for far too Long.

Anybody that shops in a supermarket for their food needs their heads read, you're buying nothing but crap to eat
[Post edited 16 May 9:50]
Swansea Market Butchers. on 09:45 - May 16 with 87 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Swansea Market Butchers. on 06:21 - May 16 by 1983

That’s the point. There will be a few exceptions but we’re virtually all guilty of taking the easy option of supermarkets and Amazon at the expense of small traders. I’m one of those hypocrites who then bemoan the damage to the high street.

On good quality butchers, the race for the cheapest food possible has resulted in ridiculously cheap meat in supermarkets from all over the world. I shudder to think what the animal husbandry is like for the cheapest cuts.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024