Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve 08:22 - Dec 26 with 1121 viewsowainglyndwr

The most renowned pre-Christian custom of the New Year traditions in Wales was that of the Mari Lwyd, the phrase meaning the Grey Mare. The Mari Lwyd was a horse’s skull covered with a white sheet and ribbons. It had false ears and eyes and was carried on a long pole covered in a sheet and decorated with ribbons.Gangs of men and youths would carry the Mari Lwyd from door to door. When a door was opened the householder was greeted with poems and insults — in Welsh — and they were expected to reply. When the verbal battle, y pwnco, had been won or lost the Mari Lwyd and her followers were invited inside for another drink.In the 19th century the churches and chapels began to object to the violence and drunkenness that invariably accompanied a visit from the Mari Lwyd and gradually, the singing of carols began to replace the poems and insults.Calennig is another New Year custom, from dawn 1 January small parties of boys would pass from house to house in the village or town, carrying twigs of evergreen plants and cups or jugs of water. They would use the twigs to splash water at people and, in return, would receive the calennig — small copper coins.Other historic references have them carrying three-legged totems and chanting rhymes. The custom, in various forms, survived in some areas well after World War Two, at least in the form of the chanting of a small verse or two in exchange for small coins
Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 09:45 - Dec 26 with 1049 viewsItchySphincter

I didn't think he Mari Llwyd was done in this area although I have seen it done in Kenfig Hill. Very much a regional thing.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 09:53 - Dec 26 with 1037 viewsperchrockjack

What year is it on Pontadaweware

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 10:08 - Dec 26 with 1018 viewsPacemaker

A friend does it in Cwmafan ( with horses head and sheets all over the Christmas period ) but he is originally from Bridgend so that may explain that. I remember the phrase being used on NYE when I was a child growing up in the Rhondda but not the horses head part.

http://www.folkwales.org.uk/mari.html
[Post edited 26 Dec 2016 10:15]

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 11:31 - Dec 26 with 953 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Interesting stuff.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 11:31 - Dec 26 with 951 viewsDafyddHuw

Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 09:53 - Dec 26 by perchrockjack

You didn't know Pontardawe did a Wicker Man thing every year?
That's why their crops grow so well - annual human sacrifice.
Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 11:39 - Dec 26 with 933 viewsairedale

We have Trick or Treat here in the Mayals. Only we don't open the door, even though they've just walked half a mile up our driveway.
Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 17:45 - Dec 28 with 798 viewsLord_Bony

Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 09:53 - Dec 26 by perchrockjack

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 17:54 - Dec 28 with 785 viewsBanosswan

We've got one of the biggest Lidls in the country too.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Login to get fewer ads

Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 21:00 - Dec 28 with 686 viewsLoyal

Pontardawe to celebrate New years eve on 09:45 - Dec 26 by ItchySphincter

I didn't think he Mari Llwyd was done in this area although I have seen it done in Kenfig Hill. Very much a regional thing.

Ah, the home of mr Marks and The Partisans.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024