Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The new ads on the forum 08:29 - Apr 9 with 1274 viewsexiledclaseboy

I hope they're worth the money to whoever gets it cos they're fecking annoying.

Poll: Tory leader

The new ads on the forum on 08:48 - Apr 9 with 1251 viewsDarran

It's Pip,he's minted.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The new ads on the forum on 08:52 - Apr 9 with 1244 viewsDafyddHuw

Never heard of AdBlocker, ECB?
Works a treat for me.
The new ads on the forum on 09:03 - Apr 9 with 1232 viewsexiledclaseboy

The new ads on the forum on 08:52 - Apr 9 by DafyddHuw

Never heard of AdBlocker, ECB?
Works a treat for me.

Is there one for safari?
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 9:06]

Poll: Tory leader

The new ads on the forum on 09:15 - Apr 9 with 1214 viewsLord_Bony

Works well with Safari.

The only ones it can't get rid of is sponsored ads...usually the annoying one that's popped up recently running across the middle of the page.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The new ads on the forum on 09:23 - Apr 9 with 1190 viewsblueytheblue

The new ads on the forum on 09:15 - Apr 9 by Lord_Bony

Works well with Safari.

The only ones it can't get rid of is sponsored ads...usually the annoying one that's popped up recently running across the middle of the page.

Easy enough to deal with those tbh.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

The new ads on the forum on 09:52 - Apr 9 with 1167 viewsLord_Bony

How so

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

The new ads on the forum on 10:48 - Apr 9 with 1108 viewsjack2jack

Just ignore them!
The new ads on the forum on 10:49 - Apr 9 with 1103 viewsblueytheblue

Edit the hosts file to redirect some sites to 127.0.0.1 is but one option.

Login to get fewer ads

The new ads on the forum on 11:09 - Apr 9 with 1079 viewsLord_Bony

ye wha?

The new ads on the forum on 11:51 - Apr 9 with 1024 viewsShaky

The new ads on the forum on 11:09 - Apr 9 by Lord_Bony

ye wha?

He is trying to impress you with a bit of jargon and a beginner level Unix hack.

Best thing is to leave that sort of thing alone.

As an alternative get a router with modded firmware (dd-wrt or Tomato) that runs adblocking; really substitution replacing urls to known ad servers with a tiny image that does not load, take up any bandwidth, or affect your screen.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

The new ads on the forum on 12:29 - Apr 9 with 987 viewsblueytheblue

Changing the hosts file does the same thing, Shaky, just a tad quicker - pc/laptop isn't making call to router for those ad urls.

The new ads on the forum on 12:48 - Apr 9 with 971 viewsLord_Bony

The new ads on the forum on 11:51 - Apr 9 by Shaky

He is trying to impress you with a bit of jargon and a beginner level Unix hack.

Best thing is to leave that sort of thing alone.

As an alternative get a router with modded firmware (dd-wrt or Tomato) that runs adblocking; really substitution replacing urls to known ad servers with a tiny image that does not load, take up any bandwidth, or affect your screen.

Wtf man🙁🙁🙁??

The new ads on the forum on 13:07 - Apr 9 with 946 viewsblueytheblue

The new ads on the forum on 12:48 - Apr 9 by Lord_Bony

Wtf man🙁🙁🙁??

Shaky's given an answer to blocking ads.

Just given a sub-optimal one.

Given people advice to replace the firmware in their router is a really dumb thing to do - if you don't know what you're fully doing then you run the risk of bricking your router. ISPs may not offer you a massive amount of help in that instance.

Copy hosts file, replace with ones available on the net is the most efficient way of blocking any calls.

Ads in web pages are just bits of data retrieved from other web pages. Calls to ad servers, which send the ad data down. So open a web page which hosts ads, then calls are made to get the ads.

So, you need to block those ad calls. Question is, which method is more efficient?

When a browser encounters a url call to a web server, looks up the entries in the hosts file first. Ad servers have entries in the hosts file redirecting the call to 127.0.0.1 ( the ip address of your machine, "localhost" ) then the call to the ad server fails and fails quickly.

An ad blocker browser extension will be doing the same thing effectively. Host files are available with thousands of urls redirected.

Shaky's solution means you've got to change the firmware in your router. That's risky for most non technical people, one mistake and you're in trouble. Ignoring that, it's slower than other approaches - the ad calls aren't being filtered out on your machine, but after your machine talks to your router. So it's inherently slower than configuring hosts.

You could also change DNS setting so that you use name servers deliberately designed to filter out ads. Again, that will be slower than managing the hosts file because it's an external call to resolve a url call to the ad server.

EDIT:

To use an analogy, editing hosts is akin to having a burglar. You want to smash their heads in with a baseball bat. My way, you trap them in the room so you can do the most damage in the shortest period of time.

Shaky's way would to to let them out of the room, lock the front door and then batter them. Same effect - battered burglar. I just batter them more efficiently.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 13:10]

The new ads on the forum on 13:44 - Apr 9 with 921 viewsShaky

The new ads on the forum on 12:29 - Apr 9 by blueytheblue

Changing the hosts file does the same thing, Shaky, just a tad quicker - pc/laptop isn't making call to router for those ad urls.

Wow, I'm really impressed by your commitment to utmost efficiency; a true html hacker!

If I ping my router windows reports a round trip average of 0 milliseconds, but of course that is rounded down. However, something under a half millisecond delay is certainly not to be sniffed as I strive for perfection to match your own.

Now all I have to do is type in to hosts the +15,000 odd urls contained in my automatically updated and downloaded adserver blacklist, and I'm as technically savvy as you are. Piece of cake.

Misology -- It's a bitch

The new ads on the forum on 13:51 - Apr 9 with 920 viewsShaky

The new ads on the forum on 12:48 - Apr 9 by Lord_Bony

Wtf man🙁🙁🙁??

If you're not worried about router security you certainly should be.

See for example: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3004017/network-security/how-secure-can-you

I set up my systems some time ago, and I am cautiously optimistic my defences are reasonably good against anything other than a state sponsored hacker.

But I have not been keeping up with the latest developments and as such am not in a position to give advice, although I know that the most recent versions (last 2 years or so) of dd-wrt are full of errors and I certainly wouldn't trust them.

Nevertheless this is a very serious issue that everybody should be concerned about, not just the paranoid such as yourself!

Misology -- It's a bitch

The new ads on the forum on 13:57 - Apr 9 with 914 viewsShaky

You could also try to run this admittedly dated online test to see just how urgently you are in need of improved router security:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Misology -- It's a bitch

The new ads on the forum on 15:15 - Apr 9 with 862 viewsblueytheblue

The new ads on the forum on 13:44 - Apr 9 by Shaky

Wow, I'm really impressed by your commitment to utmost efficiency; a true html hacker!

If I ping my router windows reports a round trip average of 0 milliseconds, but of course that is rounded down. However, something under a half millisecond delay is certainly not to be sniffed as I strive for perfection to match your own.

Now all I have to do is type in to hosts the +15,000 odd urls contained in my automatically updated and downloaded adserver blacklist, and I'm as technically savvy as you are. Piece of cake.

Why would you want to type them into hosts when fully loaded hosts files are available, Shaky?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024