Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bob Latchford 70 today. 20:24 - Jan 18 with 1390 viewsKeithHaynes

I’ve some wonderful memories of Latchford, proper striker, that goal at Stoke in the season we were going for the title in the old division one.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 21:26 - Jan 18 with 1350 viewsAnotherJohn

He has to be in the frame for our best ever number 9, even though his best days were probably with Everton. I'm old enough to have seen him play, and he was the real deal.
Bob Latchford 70 today. on 21:28 - Jan 18 with 1345 viewsTrefynwySwan

Remember seeing Bob Latchford scoring for Merthyr in the 1986 Welsh Cup Final. His first trophy!! Despite his illustrious career the quote at the time was 'Once the most expensive footballer in Britain, he had to join Merthyr Tydfil to win a medal' !!
He was at 36 by then and I remember one old character on the terrace at Penydarren Park seeing Bob stretch for a header at the far post saying 'he rose like a bag of cement' !!!
Bob Latchford 70 today. on 21:28 - Jan 18 with 1343 viewsBoundy

Only a few older than me , that's the nearest I could get to in comparison to the great man.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 21:58 - Jan 18 with 1315 viewsJack59

Probably our most natural striker ever, great positional sense, he'd often get his shots away so quick the goalies never moved, but imo his best asset was his fantastic timing making runs to near post.
He was also happy enough to pass the ball into the net like Jimmy Greaves often used to, far too many opportunities are missed these days by players trying to break the net, I suppose it's a by-product of TV coverage and big screens in the stadiums. The players can't wait to watch the replays - it's understandable, but still very unprofessional.
Bob Latchford 70 today. on 22:27 - Jan 18 with 1291 viewsonehunglow

Lethal and one of Everton s greatest legends ..
Loved him myself

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 22:45 - Jan 18 with 1283 viewsraynor94

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 21:28 - Jan 18 by TrefynwySwan

Remember seeing Bob Latchford scoring for Merthyr in the 1986 Welsh Cup Final. His first trophy!! Despite his illustrious career the quote at the time was 'Once the most expensive footballer in Britain, he had to join Merthyr Tydfil to win a medal' !!
He was at 36 by then and I remember one old character on the terrace at Penydarren Park seeing Bob stretch for a header at the far post saying 'he rose like a bag of cement' !!!

He won the Welsh cup with us in 1981

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 23:36 - Jan 18 with 1260 viewsTrefynwySwan

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 22:45 - Jan 18 by raynor94

He won the Welsh cup with us in 1981

Correct mate. My apologies. And 82 & 83!!! Scored 2 in the 2nd leg of the final at the Vetch in 82.

The article I was reading was referring to the fact that by 86-87 the Welsh Cup final had become a traditional one off final (even though it went to a replay!) which that year was played on a neutral venue rather than a 2 leg affair. Obviously inaccurate headline regarding Bob’s first trophy but maybe they thought winning a cup over 2 legs didn’t count.?
Bob Latchford 70 today. on 00:56 - Jan 19 with 1237 viewsaberhugh

I was so lucky to be at the Vetch for Toshack's first game and then to witness the rise of the Swans. I couldn't believe the excitement of the names and characters that arrived to play for the club. Bob Latchford centre forward for the Swans. Wow!! Great times loved watching him, such a privilege and a real nice man.
Login to get fewer ads

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 02:00 - Jan 19 with 1232 viewsswancity

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 00:56 - Jan 19 by aberhugh

I was so lucky to be at the Vetch for Toshack's first game and then to witness the rise of the Swans. I couldn't believe the excitement of the names and characters that arrived to play for the club. Bob Latchford centre forward for the Swans. Wow!! Great times loved watching him, such a privilege and a real nice man.

Yes I also feel privileged to have been at a packed Vetch for Tosh debut v Watford. 15000 there compared to the average then of 6000 ( from memory ). Exceptional for a 4th Division game. Apparently Elton John was there.

A 3-3 draw. And Tosh scored. These were very special days to be a Swans fan and it was down to Toshack of course that Latchford signed a few years later. 1981 our greatest ever team. Latchford, Curtis, James R, James L, Hadziabdic, Rajkovic. To name just a few legends. 👏

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 10:35 - Jan 19 with 1176 viewsaberhugh

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 02:00 - Jan 19 by swancity

Yes I also feel privileged to have been at a packed Vetch for Tosh debut v Watford. 15000 there compared to the average then of 6000 ( from memory ). Exceptional for a 4th Division game. Apparently Elton John was there.

A 3-3 draw. And Tosh scored. These were very special days to be a Swans fan and it was down to Toshack of course that Latchford signed a few years later. 1981 our greatest ever team. Latchford, Curtis, James R, James L, Hadziabdic, Rajkovic. To name just a few legends. 👏

Yep. 15,000 was the attendance figure given but I am sure it was significantly higher. I remember being packed in so tightly my feet were off the floor a number of times.
Bob Latchford 70 today. on 10:46 - Jan 19 with 1170 viewsonehunglow

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 21:58 - Jan 18 by Jack59

Probably our most natural striker ever, great positional sense, he'd often get his shots away so quick the goalies never moved, but imo his best asset was his fantastic timing making runs to near post.
He was also happy enough to pass the ball into the net like Jimmy Greaves often used to, far too many opportunities are missed these days by players trying to break the net, I suppose it's a by-product of TV coverage and big screens in the stadiums. The players can't wait to watch the replays - it's understandable, but still very unprofessional.

Also like JG,one to eshew hugging,kissing and team mates crawling over him.
Everton fan thought him not the most athletic but one of their most lethal finishers and they had the likes of Lawton,Temple,Gray and of course Mr Dean wearing the shirt.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Bob Latchford 70 today. on 11:44 - Jan 19 with 1160 viewsangryjack

My favourite ever striker for us beast was there for the rise,what a striker what a team..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024