Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans women go semi pro 10:10 - Aug 16 with 4336 viewsKeithHaynes

OS

Eleven Swansea City Women players have been handed the club's first semi-professional contracts ahead of the 2023-24 season.

Swansea City will move from an amateur to semi-pro set-up, with the aim of continuing to grow the women’s game and raise standards in our community and wider region.

Further contract announcements will follow in due course, but the club can confirm a number of players within the Swans squad have put pen to paper on semi-professional deals.

They are captain Katy Hosford, Monet Legall, Claire Skinner, Ellie Lake, Alicia Powe, Nieve Jenkins, Chloe Chivers, Stacey John-Davis, Rachel Cullen, Lucy Finch and Jess Williams.

Skipper Hosford believes the move to semi-professional status represents a significant step forward for the women’s game in Swansea, and Wales.

“It’s amazing. It’s something we’ve all wished for and hoped for over a long time,” she said.

“Personally, I’m delighted and can’t wait to get started.

“The club has made massive strides from 10 years ago when I joined. Back then we’d have one piece of kit and we would be training and playing on a really bobbly pitch.

“Now we’ve got amazing facilities, and we get the chance to play at the Swansea.com Stadium.

“Everything is there for us, and we’ve come such a long way and to get semi-professional contracts is the icing on the cake.

“Hopefully now, young girls playing football in Swansea can have something to aspire to.”

Andy Coleman
Swansea City chairman Andy Coleman said: “This is a seminal moment for our club and our players, and something everyone here is very excited and passionate about.

“We are committed to helping grow the women’s game here in Wales and to push our players to new levels.

“I also want Swansea City Women to inspire and provide real opportunities for the next generation of girls in our local community to play football.

“This is deeply personal for me. I am the father of four wonderful daughters, the husband of an incredibly successful woman, the son of a strong mother, and the brother to two high-achieving sisters. I have witnessed the obstacles that each of them has overcome and it is our responsibility as a club to level the playing field for our women’s team.

“I will be personally overseeing the women’s team in my role as chairman, and I will not consider my tenure at Swansea City a success unless we have made a significant and positive impact on women’s and girls’ football in our community and across Wales.”

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swans women go semi pro on 10:26 - Aug 16 with 3234 viewsGwyn737

I’d assumed they already were.

Great news all the same 👍
Swans women go semi pro on 10:30 - Aug 16 with 3229 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swans women go semi pro on 10:26 - Aug 16 by Gwyn737

I’d assumed they already were.

Great news all the same 👍

it is great news I just hope that womens football stays within it's financial boundaries.

The men got greedy and that's why mens football is in a state, the greed and the stupid people who pay the obscene wages.
Swans women go semi pro on 10:39 - Aug 16 with 3221 viewsGwyn737

Swans women go semi pro on 10:30 - Aug 16 by SullutaCreturned

it is great news I just hope that womens football stays within it's financial boundaries.

The men got greedy and that's why mens football is in a state, the greed and the stupid people who pay the obscene wages.

That’s a great point, Cat.

We’ve seen how not to do it, perhaps the woman’s game could be run better 🤞
Swans women go semi pro on 10:44 - Aug 16 with 3213 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swans women go semi pro on 10:39 - Aug 16 by Gwyn737

I hope so because they have set a higher bar in other areas already. The qulaity may not be there yet (compared to men) but they are very competitive and there is far less cheating and more respect for referee's.
Swans women go semi pro on 11:45 - Aug 16 with 3169 viewsBoundy

Swans women go semi pro on 10:39 - Aug 16 by Gwyn737

It's certainly a chance for the game to reset but somehow I don't think so , the great divide such as in women's tennis will remain ,men's football is a self absorbing financial monster which despite so called controls is heading out of control

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Swans women go semi pro on 13:38 - Aug 16 with 3088 viewsKeithHaynes

Swans women go semi pro on 10:30 - Aug 16 by SullutaCreturned

This severance pay thing now being written into contracts a point in case. Harry Maguire not happy with a seven million Man Utd severance and then a three year contract worth 4.5 million at West Ham.

It’s nuts.

Swans women go semi pro on 13:40 - Aug 16 with 3083 viewsbuilthjack

Swans women go semi pro on 13:38 - Aug 16 by KeithHaynes

This severance pay thing now being written into contracts a point in case. Harry Maguire not happy with a seven million Man Utd severance and then a three year contract worth 4.5 million at West Ham.

It’s nuts.

They should do a proper job on £600 a week for a fortnight. Greedy sods.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Swans women go semi pro on 13:52 - Aug 16 with 3075 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swans women go semi pro on 13:38 - Aug 16 by KeithHaynes

It’s nuts.

There is no severance, he's not walking out into unemployment. He's moving to a new job, probably on similar wages with a signing on fee, there'll be no break in getting paid.

It's pure greed by already obscenely well paid people.

Wasn't Piroe accused of this kind of thing, refusing to move unless he gets a pay off as well?
Login to get fewer ads

Swans women go semi pro on 15:57 - Aug 16 with 3017 viewsRhonddaSwans

If they played in England there would be more interest.
But well done ladies hopefully this will kick our national team on .
We want the Dragonesses !

Poll: Euro 2024 Winner 🏆 Predictions

Swans women go semi pro on 15:59 - Aug 16 with 3016 viewsEagleEye

Their results have been pretty decent whenever I have taken notice.

So are they going to be a self financing autonomous entity or are they dipping in to money taken from the club paid for by season ticket holders, sponsors, tv money etc. ?
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 15:59]
Swans women go semi pro on 16:04 - Aug 16 with 3006 viewsBoundy

Swans women go semi pro on 15:59 - Aug 16 by EagleEye

Their results have been pretty decent whenever I have taken notice.

So are they going to be a self financing autonomous entity or are they dipping in to money taken from the club paid for by season ticket holders, sponsors, tv money etc. ?
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 15:59]

They're representing the Club and if they can contribute financially then I don't see a problem , my season ticket already helps players past and present maintain a lifestyle I could only dream about

Swans women go semi pro on 16:28 - Aug 16 with 2997 viewsKilkennyjack

Great news.

Well done to our club.

Beware of the Risen People

Swans women go semi pro on 16:40 - Aug 16 with 2991 viewsEagleEye

Swans women go semi pro on 16:04 - Aug 16 by Boundy

They're representing the Club and if they can contribute financially then I don't see a problem , my season ticket already helps players past and present maintain a lifestyle I could only dream about

It was a straightforward question with no underlying malice intended. I have no idea how many people watch them or how much is charged to watch them. If you don’t know, you don’t know but thanks for your opinion. Who said there was a problem ?
Swans women go semi pro on 17:29 - Aug 16 with 2970 viewsBoundy

Swans women go semi pro on 16:40 - Aug 16 by EagleEye

It was a straightforward question with no underlying malice intended. I have no idea how many people watch them or how much is charged to watch them. If you don’t know, you don’t know but thanks for your opinion. Who said there was a problem ?

My comment not a problem was just that ,a response that I don't believe the women's team will drain the club with no malice intended either

Swans women go semi pro on 17:39 - Aug 16 with 2958 viewsKeithHaynes

Swans women go semi pro on 13:52 - Aug 16 by SullutaCreturned

There is no severance, he's not walking out into unemployment. He's moving to a new job, probably on similar wages with a signing on fee, there'll be no break in getting paid.

It's pure greed by already obscenely well paid people.

Wasn't Piroe accused of this kind of thing, refusing to move unless he gets a pay off as well?

Maybe I chose the wrong term, but it’s definitely being quoted as severance. Because he didn’t sign for West Ham because of it.

Swans women go semi pro on 18:23 - Aug 16 with 2932 viewsFlashberryjack

My grand daughter has just signed semi pro forms for the Swans Ladies.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swans women go semi pro on 19:09 - Aug 16 with 2887 viewsGwyn737

Swans women go semi pro on 18:23 - Aug 16 by Flashberryjack

You must be (quite rightly) be incredibly proud, Flash.

Do you get to watch her play much?
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 19:09]
Swans women go semi pro on 19:09 - Aug 16 with 2880 viewsKilkennyjack

Congratulations, and you have every right be be so proud. 👍

Beware of the Risen People

Swans women go semi pro on 19:32 - Aug 16 with 2865 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swans women go semi pro on 17:39 - Aug 16 by KeithHaynes

Maybe I chose the wrong term, but it’s definitely being quoted as severance. Because he didn’t sign for West Ham because of it.

I see severance as a payment for being sacked but he's not being sacked and it is utterly, ridiculously greedy to expect your current club to pay you to leave when your new employer is payingbyou a signing on fee AND massive wages.

Will someone tell me again that the players are all about the football and not all about the money?
Swans women go semi pro on 19:55 - Aug 16 with 2848 viewsKeithHaynes

Swans women go semi pro on 19:32 - Aug 16 by SullutaCreturned

I see severance as a payment for being sacked but he's not being sacked and it is utterly, ridiculously greedy to expect your current club to pay you to leave when your new employer is payingbyou a signing on fee AND massive wages.

Will someone tell me again that the players are all about the football and not all about the money?

7m he found unacceptable.
Why, I don’t know.
But it’s the reason why he isn’t at West Ham.

Players can’t see the club for the money.

It’s been the same for years.

Swans women go semi pro on 20:33 - Aug 16 with 2798 viewsFlashberryjack

Swans women go semi pro on 19:09 - Aug 16 by Gwyn737

You must be (quite rightly) be incredibly proud, Flash.

Do you get to watch her play much?
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 19:09]

She's only just signed, so I haven't watched her since she signed for the swans, but I've watched her play in the ladies champions league when she was with another club.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swans women go semi pro on 20:35 - Aug 16 with 2787 viewsGwyn737

Swans women go semi pro on 20:33 - Aug 16 by Flashberryjack

She's only just signed, so I haven't watched her since she signed for the swans, but I've watched her play in the ladies champions league when she was with another club.

What a joy.

I get more from watching my boy play than any pro sport.
Swans women go semi pro on 21:02 - Aug 16 with 2779 viewsRhonddaSwans

🎉 well done mate you must be so proud 👏

Poll: Euro 2024 Winner 🏆 Predictions

Swans women go semi pro on 21:08 - Aug 16 with 2769 viewsBoundy

Swans women go semi pro on 20:33 - Aug 16 by Flashberryjack

That's a great achievement and I'm sure she'll do herself and your family proud

Swans women go semi pro on 06:42 - Aug 17 with 2697 viewsARQS

Does anyone know what the clubs long term goal is with the womens team? Are they eyeing a move to the English system? Is that even possible (I guess so seeing as Cardiff play in it)

It seems that they’ve pretty much hit their ceiling in terms of the welsh system now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024