Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK 23:10 - May 25 with 12151 viewsMFC1876

Firstly, well done on staying up - top effort!

Looks like Garry Monk is heading to Boro ... so how do you rate him from his time in charge of The Swans?

He will be given time and money by our Chairman Steve Gibson so will have every chance of being a success ... if he's good enough.

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:14 - May 25 with 6825 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

He is jointly responsible for dismantling our once enjoyable playing style, turning is instead into your standard scrappy, relegation fodder Premier League merchants who rely on set pieces to compete in games.

He did so as he lacked the managerial ability to continue with the style that had served us so well. From what I have read from Leeds fans, his style of football was very negative there too.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:18 - May 25 with 6806 viewsYossarian

He wasn't good enough with us- he tried to radically change our playing style and clearly lost the dressing room in the process. He proved to be inflexible and stubborn, refusing the Chairman's offer of an experienced assistant. However, I think much of it might have been down to inexperience which was, in itself, related to the circumstances of his initial appointment. I hope he has gained the experience in man management and learnt to be flexible, but he isn't going to make you into what we were (and thankfully now showing signs of becoming again). Anyway, good luck next season.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:19 - May 25 with 6803 viewsbuilthjack

I agree with Dwight

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:24 - May 25 with 6760 viewsGriffting

Bartley + cash for Ben Gibson??
BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:24 - May 25 with 6755 viewsTheResurrection

He's as arrogant as they come, it will all be about him. He'll take credit for the players, the crowd, even the pitch if he can get away with it.

His interviews will slowly grate on you and sooner or later, it was sooner at Leeds judging by their capitulation at the end, he will lose the dressing room.

He was instrumental in leading revolts against 2 managers when he was a player, out of favour, with us and a real back stabber.

I blame Talk Sport though, we all listen to it, and they with their infinite knowledge of Swansea City i.e. they know fack all, have put Monk on some sort of a pedestal and still today they talk about him leading us to our highest ever position. Well yeah he did, piggy backing off our tried and trusted way of playing and philosophy - the same way of playing and philosophy he dismantled - and what we're still dealing with today.

Apart from that, he's a complete tvvat!

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:25 - May 25 with 6755 viewsItchySphincter

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:19 - May 25 by builthjack

I agree with Dwight

He talks a lot of sense.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:28 - May 25 with 6731 viewsjack2jack

All of the above! but judge for yourself when he arrives
Good luck for next season.
BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:35 - May 25 with 6702 viewsWarwickHunt

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:24 - May 25 by TheResurrection

He's as arrogant as they come, it will all be about him. He'll take credit for the players, the crowd, even the pitch if he can get away with it.

His interviews will slowly grate on you and sooner or later, it was sooner at Leeds judging by their capitulation at the end, he will lose the dressing room.

He was instrumental in leading revolts against 2 managers when he was a player, out of favour, with us and a real back stabber.

I blame Talk Sport though, we all listen to it, and they with their infinite knowledge of Swansea City i.e. they know fack all, have put Monk on some sort of a pedestal and still today they talk about him leading us to our highest ever position. Well yeah he did, piggy backing off our tried and trusted way of playing and philosophy - the same way of playing and philosophy he dismantled - and what we're still dealing with today.

Did more damage to Swansea than the Luftwaffe and grins like the village idiot in interviews.

Tactically clueless with a massive ego.

Enjoy.
Login to get fewer ads

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:39 - May 25 with 6675 viewsdailew

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:18 - May 25 by Yossarian

He wasn't good enough with us- he tried to radically change our playing style and clearly lost the dressing room in the process. He proved to be inflexible and stubborn, refusing the Chairman's offer of an experienced assistant. However, I think much of it might have been down to inexperience which was, in itself, related to the circumstances of his initial appointment. I hope he has gained the experience in man management and learnt to be flexible, but he isn't going to make you into what we were (and thankfully now showing signs of becoming again). Anyway, good luck next season.

I don't think he lost the dressing room for that.

Wasn't it to do with not taking the side of the players when someone was playing around with one of their wives?

He lost it overnite. After beating Manure we then put in an absolutely abject performance against Watford.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:47 - May 25 with 6647 viewsYossarian

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:39 - May 25 by dailew

I don't think he lost the dressing room for that.

Wasn't it to do with not taking the side of the players when someone was playing around with one of their wives?

He lost it overnite. After beating Manure we then put in an absolutely abject performance against Watford.

I didn't say one was definitively linked to the other. What you assume might be true but it's your assumption. I have not made an assumption. Read slowly next time.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 00:25 - May 26 with 6559 viewsnyc_swans

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:47 - May 25 by Yossarian

I didn't say one was definitively linked to the other. What you assume might be true but it's your assumption. I have not made an assumption. Read slowly next time.

Leeds fans seemed pretty upset when he resigned.

Asking how Garry Monk is as a manager is a dangerous question around here, and there's a lot of truth to what most are saying, but he could have improved since he was sacked, and providing stability at leeds seems a minor miracle. I think for the Championship you could do well with Monk.
BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 00:27 - May 26 with 6542 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 00:25 - May 26 by nyc_swans

Leeds fans seemed pretty upset when he resigned.

Asking how Garry Monk is as a manager is a dangerous question around here, and there's a lot of truth to what most are saying, but he could have improved since he was sacked, and providing stability at leeds seems a minor miracle. I think for the Championship you could do well with Monk.

If we went down and hired somebody like Monk I'd be furious. I'd want somebody with a proven record of gaining promotion from that league, or at the very least coming close.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 00:44 - May 26 with 6532 viewsDavillin

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 00:27 - May 26 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

If we went down and hired somebody like Monk I'd be furious. I'd want somebody with a proven record of gaining promotion from that league, or at the very least coming close.

MFC1976:

If I had to pick one reply to your O.P. to recommend to you, it would be Dwight's, above.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 00:58 - May 26 with 6513 viewsWanderer

Coming 7th with a basket case of a club surely qualifies 'coming close'.
He is still serving his managerial apprenticeship in my opinion.
BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 02:02 - May 26 with 6455 viewsGroo

We've had a few managers who were 'failure's' at other clubs but shone here.

No reason why Monk can't shine elsewhere.

Groo does what Groo does best

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 05:30 - May 26 with 6351 viewsphact0rri

For me, Monk had his idea of the football he wants to coach, and finds no failure in it. Everything surrounds about him and its his way... suppose stubborn is a good word.

Now for a club that is looking to rebuild and put themselves together I'm sure one can do worse. I do think he's going to end up in the Pullis/alardyce mold. one of those managers called in to fortify and restructure. Its a shame he didn't stay at leeds, but I think he'd manage okay at your lot. good luck in the new season!

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 06:06 - May 26 with 6293 viewsWhiterockin

Look after Lexi. Monk does what she says and when she is fed up he will move on.
BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 07:03 - May 26 with 6174 viewsKilkennyjack

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 23:24 - May 25 by TheResurrection

In a nutshell, and we are still suffering.

Beware of the Risen People

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 07:31 - May 26 with 6087 viewspencoedjack

Sacked too early according to those who didn't have to watch the dross served up week in week out

His Mrs won't be happy living in a working class northern area either.

Enjoy
BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 09:07 - May 26 with 5806 viewsjasper_T

His plan A works pretty well but he's completely clueless when other teams figure it out, and can't adapt.
BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 09:11 - May 26 with 5776 viewsperchrockjack

Res is dead right about talk shite.

I guarantee if you switch on ,within a short time,they will be discussing Arsenal.if not manure ,Liverpool,Chelsea ,tote ham. Durham and Gough the Gobshite talk complete drivel ,so bad it's worth listening to before cuddling your kids or wife,it's so pitiful.

Even famous ,truly big clubs like Everton rarely get a mention

Monk? Who really gives a fook

I can guarantee ,however,he won't be living in Middlesborough, a larger version of Port Talbot, but in the magnificent countryside surrounding ,a fact most southerners are unaware of,only venturing north for an afternoon to see their team play at the Riverside . Great stadium.

Monk will have a wonderful chairman ,who will give him backing,until his is sacked

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 09:19 - May 26 with 5747 viewsLeonWasGod

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 00:27 - May 26 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

You must have been gutted with the appointment of Brendan then.

I'd argue that the knack is in spotting managers with potential who fit the club. A manager's previous success is absolutely no guarantee of likelihood of repeating promotion, as the current Championship shows. And the top 6 of the Championship only has 1 bloke in there who's done it before.
BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 09:31 - May 26 with 5702 viewsTheKirkyLife

So from my perspective don't get me wrong; Monk can give you success. Saving us from relegation after Laudrup's departure and taking us on to our highest ever league finish in 2014/15. That's no mean feat. The fact he took Leeds to just outside the play-offs in itself is testament to what he's capable of - that team was hardly anywhere in previous years with all the chopping and changing.

However. There are a number of issues I have with him and I'm one of the crowd who felt he wasn't sacked early enough in the season before last.

There is no Plan B. As soon as he gets stuck in a rut there is no evident desire to change tactics in order to get out of trouble. I was fearing the same of Clement initially before he finally caved in to playing Britton/The Diamond and saw the error of his ways. This lack of desire for change comes more down to, as has already been put adequately before me, a huge ego that only fuels itself thanks to the success he has had so early on in his career.

His support staff really is piss poor when you compare it to others yet he blindly sticks by them. He will run the show and if he doesn't get his way then he can very quickly lose the dressing room and with it, you, the fans.

Oh and his interviews, if stuck in a rut, become painful to watch.

In conclusion, if you go for Monk, expect a bounce. That might get you back into the Premier League! Who knows? Be wary for the second year onwards though.
BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 09:37 - May 26 with 5674 viewsLeonWasGod

BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 07:31 - May 26 by pencoedjack

Sacked too early according to those who didn't have to watch the dross served up week in week out

His Mrs won't be happy living in a working class northern area either.

Enjoy

Basically this. Effective at grinding out results, and he did give us our highest finish in this spell in the top division, but it was painful watching.

He started well enough in the season he took over from Laudrup when he kept our same shape and we had flying wingers. Then in the second season the football went out the window and it was all about a packed, narrow midfield, lots of defending on the edge of our 18 yard box and then getting the ball forward as quickly as possible when we did eventually get it. Our possession stats collapsed from 60-70% every game to the complete opposite.

It worked for a while and then it went t1ts up. It wasn't helped by events behind the scenes which made the players stop putting in that little bit extra you need to compete in the PL. By the end we were a shambles. And it wasn't helped by disastrous recruitment during and at the end of his first season, although we don't know how much influence he had on signings (I suspect not a lot).

His backroom staff were a bunch of rookies too, so that didn't help.

He's obviously a media darling still, but he's still dining out off the back of Swansea City imo. His reputation for playing flowing, attractive football comes more from us playing that way BEFORE he was manager. And it's stuck.

Good luck to him though - he was part of our story.

And Lexy would much rather he gets a London job, I'm sure
BORO FAN HERE RE GARRY MONK on 09:45 - May 26 with 5633 viewsE20Jack

If you lose he will use the term ''we'' and ''us''. If you win, he will use the term ''I'' and ''me''.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024