Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( 19:00 - Apr 28 with 30813 viewsNorthernr

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 09:55 - Apr 30 with 3663 viewsLanhoop

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 00:15 - Apr 30 by Discodroids

Fk me , tonight was the most tragic ending of career since Jim Morrison was puffing on a reefer on stage at the new haven arena.

With the exceptions of Charlie grabbing a typical Charlie goal on maybe his last appearance and that stunning dummy and spin by Chair down the touchline towards the end of the first half the whole evening was tragic.

On the way to the ground I was thinking how wrong it was to be sacking Warbs, I nodded in agreement at the short lived Ellerslie banner saying "KEEP WARBS". After an hour I thought, "you know he board may be right". Walking out I could only think, "right time to go".

Three wins (all with late goals papering over the cracks) in 17 matches. How have our beautiful boys of the first half of the season turned into this?

The manager has to take the rap for not dealing with it. The tragedy is he didn't seem to recognise it.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:07 - Apr 30 with 3585 viewsHunterhoop

Iā€™m just confused by a lot of peopleā€™s views.

Warburton will have been here 3 full seasons with quite a bit of Board backing (for our budget).

Weā€™ve finished 13th, 9th, andā€¦likely 14th.

If play offs were the AGREED target between him and the Board this season, he has failed.

Where we finish at the end of the season will not be an improvement on previous seasons. So where is the evidence heā€™ll take us forward next year?

We had to take our financial medicine the first 5 years we were back in this league. But now, chickens are coming home to roost elsewhere and, with the Board putting in Ā£1.5m per month to keep us from going under (and converting debt to shares, fair play!), now is the time we need to take advantage. We donā€™t have a god given right to the clubā€™s existence, certainly not in the second tier. We need promotion to secure the club for the long term, even if we come back down with no points.

This season is a huge missed opportunity because of the state of the league, not jut because of where weā€™re in late Jan.

Given heā€™s missed the seasonā€™s target, given weā€™re likely to finish lower than his previous two seasons, given the form of the last 16 games being 12 points (worst in the league), surely everyone can appreciate there is some reasoning for not renewing his contract?

Iā€™m not saying you should agree with it, but this whole ā€œthe board are clueless, ridiculous decision, every other team will be pissing themselvesā€ narrative is nonsense. Other fans arenā€™t surprised heā€™s been sacked. Heā€™s never got a team promoted from this league. After Brentford parted company they got better under their next two managers. At Forest, he failed. Bookies, the RP, fan sites had us as likely to make the top 6. We could finish bottom half.

He did a solid job for 2 and a half seasons. He came across as a good guy, open, principled. Some very good football was played. Some defending was a bit weak. We scored a lot. It was certainly an improvement. But the last 3 months have been, if not the worst over the last 6 years, certainly up there. For 3 full months we are statistically the worst side in the league. Thatā€™s not down to bad luck and injuries. All teams have that. Something went wrong and he could not fix it.

Would he have fixed it for next season? Maybe. But I can understand the Board making the decision they have.

Wish him well. Good man. In the main he did a good job. But after 2.5 years in control a run this bad shouldnā€™t happen. You know the players and club inside out, you have respect and authority, you should be able to arrest it. If you canā€™t, well, it says a lot.

The Barbet rumours are strange though. Unless heā€™s on a ludicrously big salary for our budget, it makes no sense not re-signing him.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:08 - Apr 30 with 3569 viewsSonofpugwash

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:29 - Apr 30 with 3480 viewsstevec

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:08 - Apr 30 by Sonofpugwash

Took 45 games and a managerial sacking, but last night it looked a bit more like the old Charlie.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 11:26 - Apr 30 with 3372 viewsNorthantsHoop

Liked Warbs, thought he was a brilliant appointment, probably has achieved the goals set for him, when appointed get us as a top half Championship club within limited budget and improve the football. If you look at his record over the 3 seasons it has always been a game of 2 halves. Season 1 competitive development until lockdown then last remaining games after lockdown poor results. Season 2 slow start, struggle to mid season and then roaring on for 2nd half. This season consistent, playing well first half up to mid point and then falling away in last 3 months. In fact if you look with a critical eye in most of our games we were in my opinion a one half team and tended to either start slowly, finish quickly or vice versa, never really consistent and on top throughout. That is why we are a mid table championship team, there has been improvement but not enough to sustain a real challenge. Warbs real credit has been his ability to improve our away form and we have been much better in last 3 seasons on getting results on the road, but our home form has not been good enough to really mount a challenge. Just look at our results in last 3 seasons at home and points have been lost against teams we should be seeing off. Still well done Mark Warburton you have made us progress, wish him all the best on his next venture.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 12:24 - Apr 30 with 3165 viewscorse

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:07 - Apr 30 by Hunterhoop

Warburton will have been here 3 full seasons with quite a bit of Board backing (for our budget).

If play offs were the AGREED target between him and the Board this season, he has failed.

Where we finish at the end of the season will not be an improvement on previous seasons. So where is the evidence heā€™ll take us forward next year?

We had to take our financial medicine the first 5 years we were back in this league. But now, chickens are coming home to roost elsewhere and, with the Board putting in Ā£1.5m per month to keep us from going under (and converting debt to shares, fair play!), now is the time we need to take advantage. We donā€™t have a god given right to the clubā€™s existence, certainly not in the second tier. We need promotion to secure the club for the long term, even if we come back down with no points.

This season is a huge missed opportunity because of the state of the league, not jut because of where weā€™re in late Jan.

Given heā€™s missed the seasonā€™s target, given weā€™re likely to finish lower than his previous two seasons, given the form of the last 16 games being 12 points (worst in the league), surely everyone can appreciate there is some reasoning for not renewing his contract?

Iā€™m not saying you should agree with it, but this whole ā€œthe board are clueless, ridiculous decision, every other team will be pissing themselvesā€ narrative is nonsense. Other fans arenā€™t surprised heā€™s been sacked. Heā€™s never got a team promoted from this league. After Brentford parted company they got better under their next two managers. At Forest, he failed. Bookies, the RP, fan sites had us as likely to make the top 6. We could finish bottom half.

He did a solid job for 2 and a half seasons. He came across as a good guy, open, principled. Some very good football was played. Some defending was a bit weak. We scored a lot. It was certainly an improvement. But the last 3 months have been, if not the worst over the last 6 years, certainly up there. For 3 full months we are statistically the worst side in the league. Thatā€™s not down to bad luck and injuries. All teams have that. Something went wrong and he could not fix it.

Would he have fixed it for next season? Maybe. But I can understand the Board making the decision they have.

Wish him well. Good man. In the main he did a good job. But after 2.5 years in control a run this bad shouldnā€™t happen. You know the players and club inside out, you have respect and authority, you should be able to arrest it. If you canā€™t, well, it says a lot.

The Barbet rumours are strange though. Unless heā€™s on a ludicrously big salary for our budget, it makes no sense not re-signing him.

This is very true
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 12:39 - Apr 30 with 3122 viewsR_from_afar

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 09:17 - Apr 30 by PunteR

If you're still playing at Bracknell sports centre than no wonder you are aching ,that pitch is terrible.

Well remembered! No that session folded some time ago but you are right, the pitch was awful.

I play at a school in Slough now and while the pitch isn't 3G, it's pretty good.

What I also think has spared my ageing carcass is using Sorbothane insoles and inserts in my boots. Someone recommended them to me over a decade ago and I have used them ever since. Playing without them feels like playing in clogs. I currently use a full size insole - which is only a few millimetres thick - plus two heel inserts.

All that lot should keep me going until I have finally saved up the full $6m needed to rebuild me

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 13:23 - Apr 30 with 3014 viewsT_Block

Completely disagree.Warburton has completely rebuilt the side and developed a fine set of young players in Dieng ,Dickie,Dunne,Willock,Field,dykes ,Amos etc.On a very limited budget.This seasons problem is pace up-front.

I feel disconnected and annoyed with the club and frankly have better things to do with my life and will not be renewing my season ticket.

These owners are clearly not learning.

I will come back when we are in League 1
Login to get fewer ads

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:32 - Apr 30 with 2904 viewsQPR_John

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 13:23 - Apr 30 by T_Block

Completely disagree.Warburton has completely rebuilt the side and developed a fine set of young players in Dieng ,Dickie,Dunne,Willock,Field,dykes ,Amos etc.On a very limited budget.This seasons problem is pace up-front.

I feel disconnected and annoyed with the club and frankly have better things to do with my life and will not be renewing my season ticket.

ā€œThis seasons problem is pace up-front. ā€œ

And whose job is it to come up with solutions. You cannot praise Warburton, quite rightly, for those players without questioning other problems in the team that have not been addressed.

I assume from what you said you would renew had Warburton been offered a new contract which begs the question do you support the team or the manager.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 15:46 - Apr 30 with 2775 viewsDamo1962

Spot on analysis HH. Put it better than I could. I think both the board and supporters have been very patient TBH.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 15:50 - Apr 30 with 2781 viewsDiscodroids

Great post. You sum up it all up for me.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 15:52 - Apr 30 with 2768 viewsDiscodroids

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 16:29 - Apr 29 by Discodroids

I'm an old man now so i don't get that upset about Managers coming and going. Mark seemed a principled man with a floorboards up work ethic and vastly intelligent. I think a senior role at the FA beckons.

It made me think the last time i was really upset when a manager left, It would have been my all time hero Gerry leaving for Spurs.

i was 'working' as a reinsurance broker in lloyds of london at the time and bombarded Gerry with scores of Lloyds letter headed faxes, begging him not to leave.

If anyone remembers Tony Blackburns breakdown on air when Tessa Wyatt left him For richard O'sullivan playing Bobby Goldsboro's 'HONEY' on Radio one over and over, They will get some picture of my state of mind at the time, When Gerry left me for Spurs.

Mark, Honey, I'll miss you.

[Post edited 29 Apr 2022 16:34]

Jesus i was pissed out of my skate last night. Bobby Goldsboro??.. wtf.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 16:01 - Apr 30 with 2725 viewsHarbour

I was gutted when i heard Warbs was going probably an emotional rather than rational reaction. The improvement in squad the better style of play ( up to end of jan) the development of the players all compared to the dross we put up with before Warbs arrived all made me approving of Warbs continuing. Reading HH well written comments can see why the board have made the decision they have. Only time will tell if this is a correct decision much depending on who the new manager is what budget he has and how we start the new season. For me itā€™s 50/50 on new manager v warbs getting a further chance to make the playoffs. Be interesting to see how we get on next season.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 16:14 - Apr 30 with 2672 viewsbaz_qpr

Seems to be rumours of falling outs at the club between the manager, the board and some other staff , Dave Thomas referring to it in a twitter thread earlier today.

Also think its worth pointing out, that our upturn coincided with some boosting signings but the switch to the 3-4-2-1 / 3-4-1-2 / 3-5-2 formations, for which we were one of the earlier adopters in the league, but what we have seen this season certainly in the latter half is most teams have now switched to these formations, so I do think tactically where we might have gained an advantage before we seem. to have struggled to adapt when teams match us up
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 16:24 - Apr 30 with 2636 viewsMelakaRanger

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:29 - Apr 30 by stevec

Took 45 games and a managerial sacking, but last night it looked a bit more like the old Charlie.

Yesterday I saw Chaz run more often and faster than he has all season. It was like he knew he was in a shop window for his services........

Trouble is I think football is now low on his business/personal priority list.

I'd still gladly have him next season but only on a PAYP basis. Very low basic and high bonuses. But I suspect some other cliub will do a "Nakki Wells" (more fool them)
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 16:25 - Apr 30 with 2631 viewsqprcmob

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 13:23 - Apr 30 by T_Block

Dykes ,,,,, Yikes !!!!1
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 16:38 - Apr 30 with 2576 viewsswisscottage

Agree with everything you said up until the last sentence.

I don't get people's love-in with Barbet. To me he's one of the worst at giving the ball away cheaply when we've committed players forward. His distribution is shocking, and I for one will not be sorry to see him go.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 17:23 - Apr 30 with 2487 viewstkqpr

Its funny (somewhat) to see that hes been good enough and relatively successful enough and appreciated by the fans and not been sacked but been allowed to see out the season and his contract at 2 West London clubs!

Not many managers get to 'see out' their contracts and thanked for their work and progress for the club (well most have but its not meant with any sincerity) yet Warbs has done so twice and appreciated by both clubs for his work, commitment and 'success'?

Nice guy never wins?
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 12:27 - May 1 with 2160 viewsNorthantsHoop

Looks like Warbs is going to have a few jobs to pick from for the new season in the Championship. My money is on him being at Watford.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 12:30 - May 1 with 2135 viewsdavman

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 12:27 - May 1 by NorthantsHoop

Looks like Warbs is going to have a few jobs to pick from for the new season in the Championship. My money is on him being at Watford.

Surely they'll get Dyche? Warbs to Birmingham would not surprise me.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:16 - May 1 with 2000 viewsDieByYourSide

Great post Hunter.

We're all upset about the way the season's panned out, it's still very raw and there's the confusion over how this has gone so wrong. We all wanted it to work with Warbs and thought it was working, but look at the facts in the cold light of day and the case for parting ways is pretty clear.

We've still got the basis of a good squad and could yet appoint an exciting manager who can reinvigorate them with some desperately needed new ideas.

You'd have thought the club had gone under with some of the hysteria flying around.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 13:33 - May 4 with 1527 viewsR_from_afar

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/qpr-blackburn-manager-sackings-ruthless-dream

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 13:46 - May 4 with 1446 viewstoboboly

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 13:33 - May 4 by R_from_afar

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/qpr-blackburn-manager-sackings-ruthless-dream

Us and Blackburn might as well swap managers

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:02 - May 4 with 1381 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:32 - Apr 30 by QPR_John

ā€œThis seasons problem is pace up-front. ā€œ

And whose job is it to come up with solutions. You cannot praise Warburton, quite rightly, for those players without questioning other problems in the team that have not been addressed.

I assume from what you said you would renew had Warburton been offered a new contract which begs the question do you support the team or the manager.

Indeed. For me with respect to player recruitment and development, Warburton's been a mixed bag. Sure he developed young talent in the shape of Eze, Chair, Dickie and Dunne but at the same time he increased the average age of the team and sacrificed pace by signing aging players who have all hit a cliff this season. In particular, the signings at wing-back have been poor. Considering how important these roles are to his preferred formation, you would think he would target more dynamic and robust players in these positions.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:43 - May 4 with 1216 viewsTheChef

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:02 - May 4 by Benny_the_Ball

Indeed. For me with respect to player recruitment and development, Warburton's been a mixed bag. Sure he developed young talent in the shape of Eze, Chair, Dickie and Dunne but at the same time he increased the average age of the team and sacrificed pace by signing aging players who have all hit a cliff this season. In particular, the signings at wing-back have been poor. Considering how important these roles are to his preferred formation, you would think he would target more dynamic and robust players in these positions.

Sounds about right - the double whammy of hitting a wall and falling off a cliff.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024