Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( 19:00 - Apr 28 with 30811 viewsNorthernr

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 09:32 - Apr 29 with 2704 viewsslmrstid

Gareth Ainsworth would walk over hot coals to come back to QPR. I think the QPR vacancy is the one that Wycombe fans fear the most.

Whether it will happen, this time or ever, who knows. But if Gareth did come back to QPR he'd have my unwavering support and adulation. But that's the 14 year old in me talking who still loves Wild Thing tearing down the right wing!
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 09:42 - Apr 29 with 2630 viewsrobith

I've mentioned on other threads how I rate the job he's done and how I think this is a bad call.

But my presiding thought now is I hope Ferdinand and Hoos know what they're doing. To date they've either been able to blame the manager, or get great on pitch cover from Warbz allowing them to focus in other areas. Now for the first time they've canned a guy when there's contention about keeping him on. If they bodge the next appointment, I suspect the grief will be directed more at them than him.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 09:49 - Apr 29 with 2600 viewsAntti_Heinola

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 08:46 - Apr 29 by DannytheR

Sean Gallagher (always very reliable) mentioned on social media that a "big name" is interested, which sounds horribly like Zola to me.

If the thought wasn't so bleak, I'd dig out the pic of Barton and Fernandes giving each other piggy backs round Wembley after the play-off win.

oh come on, let's not be silly, they are not going to go for Zola. he hasn't even managed anywhere for 5 years. There are reasons to be concerned, but I'll stick my neck out here and say Zola isn't one of them.

My feeling is they'll push the boat out this summer and edge as close to FFP as they can, and they are only going to do that with a pretty solid manager. If it fails, they're off and then we could be in real trouble.

Bare bones.

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 09:52 - Apr 29 with 2567 viewsSonofpugwash

Let's hope the players can cobble together a bit of pride and give Mark a decent send off.
They're in the shop window now so some of them might actually put in a shift tonight.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:01 - Apr 29 with 2510 viewsCamberleyR

All feels a bit like the time when they showed gentleman Don Howe the door who had also done a similar job to Warbs in restoring a bit of calm and pride after the chaotic Trevor Francis reign.

I've got zero confidence however that the board have got anyone like Gerry Francis lined up this time though...

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:08 - Apr 29 with 2473 viewsDannytheR

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 09:49 - Apr 29 by Antti_Heinola

oh come on, let's not be silly, they are not going to go for Zola. he hasn't even managed anywhere for 5 years. There are reasons to be concerned, but I'll stick my neck out here and say Zola isn't one of them.

My feeling is they'll push the boat out this summer and edge as close to FFP as they can, and they are only going to do that with a pretty solid manager. If it fails, they're off and then we could be in real trouble.

Well, obviously there's a difference between wanting the job and being offered it! Feels like a ridiculous idea, but then bringing Holloway back after Millwall was quite the eye-popper too.

Who knows? I think it might be a mistake to assume they have much of a plan. But longer term, yeah, I agree the current situation surely isn't sustainable much longer.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:11 - Apr 29 with 2456 viewsNortholt_Rs

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 08:45 - Apr 29 by loftus77

Sad, bewildered, and disgusted - in equal measure. My only clinging hope is that he wanted to go - it was on his terms - in which case, what could the club do?

If he's reading this (...), thanks very much, Mr Mark Warburton, and best wishes for the future. You built a fine team, delivered fine performances, and developed fine players over 3 years of strong service.

Before MW arrived, relegation to League One (and beyond?) was always a potential issue. Under MW, it was never really an issue - (a struggling Championship side became a solid, fine one). Now I have utterly no doubt whatsoever that relegation to League One will be merrily back on the agenda again in 22-23. Sorry.

And, as someone said on here, MW was 'our COVID manager', attending fans forums, podcasts and hosting online quizzes for Rs fans right throughout dark days when no one knew when/if we would ever see our QPR again. That really mattered. He was Our Manager and, IMHO, he carried out the role with authority, respect in a workmanlike careful manner.

When he joined in May 2019 I posted that we needed MW more than he needed us. Nothing has changed to this day. Our loss.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2022 8:47]

Looking at what he had to say it doesn’t seem like it’s his choice. The way this has been handled by DOF is pretty appalling. Totally disrespectful.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:15 - Apr 29 with 2432 views89_50

Late to the party, but just wanted to voice my dismay at the news. Warbs was exactly what the club needed at exactly the right time. And I believe still is. For all those talking about taking the club to the next level seem to completely undervalue the importance of stability and solid foundations - which Warbs has unquestionably helped create. As much as I would have loved a promotion this year (who wouldn't), we're still re-forming as a club and need a steady hand for another season or two. None of the potential replacements listed seem to offer that, and I really hope we don't undo all of the good work of the past three seasons.
Login to get fewer ads

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:17 - Apr 29 with 2423 viewsrobith

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 09:52 - Apr 29 by Sonofpugwash

Let's hope the players can cobble together a bit of pride and give Mark a decent send off.
They're in the shop window now so some of them might actually put in a shift tonight.

Also we've spent the last 3 months having our season borked by other teams.

I wanna piss on someone else's chips for a change
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:34 - Apr 29 with 2311 viewsW7Ranger

Fcuk

Fcuk

Fcuk

Fcukfcukettyfcukfcuk!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

I've backed/defended Les over the last few years for the work he and Hoos have done in stabilising things and also the appointment of Warburton. They finally got it right!! Then they let go the best manager we've had since Warnock. I can't defend them anymore.

Awful decision.

Jast. Plain. Wrong.

Gutted. So so gutted.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2022 16:16]
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:36 - Apr 29 with 2296 viewsngbqpr

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:01 - Apr 29 by CamberleyR

All feels a bit like the time when they showed gentleman Don Howe the door who had also done a similar job to Warbs in restoring a bit of calm and pride after the chaotic Trevor Francis reign.

I've got zero confidence however that the board have got anyone like Gerry Francis lined up this time though...

Was gonna post similar...or even better, that we have a Dave Sexton lined up after Warburton's played the Gordon Jago role.

A modern day Mullery is more likely I fear.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:39 - Apr 29 with 2280 viewsdaveB

Liam Manning at MK Dons seems to be getting a few mentions.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:55 - Apr 29 with 2195 viewsAntti_Heinola

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:08 - Apr 29 by DannytheR

Well, obviously there's a difference between wanting the job and being offered it! Feels like a ridiculous idea, but then bringing Holloway back after Millwall was quite the eye-popper too.

Who knows? I think it might be a mistake to assume they have much of a plan. But longer term, yeah, I agree the current situation surely isn't sustainable much longer.

Still say there was a confused method to their Ollie madness. They knew they had to absolutely start slicing the budget and it could get ugly, so they got someone in who the fans wouldn't turn against. In that respect, I think, while unfair on Ollie, it was a sort of clever appointment.

Bare bones.

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:57 - Apr 29 with 2161 viewsAntti_Heinola

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:39 - Apr 29 by daveB

Liam Manning at MK Dons seems to be getting a few mentions.

Just reading up on him. Very interesting. Been extremely successful elsewhere. Young, style of play we would want. Would he want to leave MK if they went up though?

Bare bones.

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 11:06 - Apr 29 with 2100 viewsdaveB

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:57 - Apr 29 by Antti_Heinola

Just reading up on him. Very interesting. Been extremely successful elsewhere. Young, style of play we would want. Would he want to leave MK if they went up though?

Would hopefully be a step up for him, no idea if we are even interested but just read a few people saying he's the one the club want, probably nonsense
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 11:07 - Apr 29 with 2085 viewsterryb

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:57 - Apr 29 by Antti_Heinola

I think he would regard Queens Park Rangers as a big step up from MK Dons.

I mentioned on the match preview thread that I have no knowledge of managers at lower levels, but many of you would know more about those in position at Wigan, MK Dons, Forest Green, Plymouth, Exeter, Wrexham etc.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 11:08 - Apr 29 with 2080 viewsDannytheR

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:55 - Apr 29 by Antti_Heinola

Still say there was a confused method to their Ollie madness. They knew they had to absolutely start slicing the budget and it could get ugly, so they got someone in who the fans wouldn't turn against. In that respect, I think, while unfair on Ollie, it was a sort of clever appointment.

True. Never discount their knack of playing to the gallery with trips down memory lane. Warnock it is then... (I can't even tell if I'm joking anymore.)
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 11:10 - Apr 29 with 2077 viewsHantsR

I now regret my decision not to go tonight, I would like to have shown him my appreciation for all that he's done for the club.

Borrowing from Clive's Match Preview - " Warburton’s professionalism, courtesy, standards and respect have been a breath of fresh air and absolutely what this club has needed " - indeed, made me proud to be a fan and the last year or so have provided some magic moments that left me driving home from games feeling like a million dollars.

In my 55 years of supporting the club, he's the only manager I've ever met and shaken hands. He'll be a tough act to follow in what could be a very difficult season.

I think I'll send him an email of appreciation, like I did for Warnock.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 11:37 - Apr 29 with 1987 viewsBklynRanger

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 20:34 - Apr 28 by toboboly

Agree. Deserved a summer to see if he could get things improving. If not you shake hands and walk away knowing everyone tried.

I can only guess this shows how desperate the board are for promotion. They don't seem to feel even that they can take a risk in letting him try to put it right over the summer. To me that's crazy after what he's achieved.

Seems like things have gone downhill for him and us ever since the transfer window slammed shut, and would imagine that includes some level of backroom issues.

I certainly share the thought that I hope they know what they're doing with this.

All the best Mark.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 11:45 - Apr 29 with 1946 viewsA40Bosh

Not had a chance to read all 6 pages so high chance of repeating what some have probably said.

Firstly, would have given MW another year to continue the work he has been doing, but as I feared priority 1 on MW's performance management for 2021/2022 was at least the playoffs and hopefully win through the playoffs to promotion.

Timing of this announcement? I wonder whether Warbs talking to the West London Sport team a day or so early has pushed the announcement out or whether this was all orchestrated in the last week or so to be public on Thursday night and it was just Warbs being open and honest when Ian asked him specific questions - who knows.

I think we should not read too much in to the statement wording of "the search now begins".... I would like to think that that is only fluff out of respect for the announcement of the parting of ways and that behind the scenes LF and the board have already been researching who is out there that fits the style of football that Warbs introduced rather than scramble around for a manager willing to take the job on with a small budget.

As to the why, yes Warbs has been a good manager in many ways but perhaps there are limitations which is why he got so far at Brentford and parted company and then he was ousted from Rangers and Forest. Who knows if that horrific run of form was just very bad luck with injuries and the disruption to the core team who had been on a positive run or was it poor management decisions and an inability to act?

I do have to say once I started to read this thread this morning after shrugging off the news when it came out last night, I do have a sick feeling in my stomach now that the owners have cut their own noses and not had the patience for 1 more crack at it with Warbs.

Was thinking of swerving LF tonight only because of the grief of trying to get home with the central line strike this evening, but will make sure I get there to clap him off and I really hope the team show how much they want to play for him and we don't wake up tomorrow feeling even worse

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 12:32 - Apr 29 with 1807 viewsPetros

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 08:29 - Apr 29 by Northernr

Zola or Woodgate I'm going to take up smack.

Worked wonders for Hunter Thompson
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 12:39 - Apr 29 with 1777 viewsloftboy

Paul Hall?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 12:46 - Apr 29 with 1726 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 21:00 - Apr 28 by Hunterhoop

I’m in the minority, I know, but I’m okay with this.

There is stuff that has happened behind the scenes where Warbs got his way and it didn’t work out. He went against the board, was backed, but he then didn’t deliver. He’s had 3 full seasons and we’re likely finishing 12th. 13th, 9th, 12th, with a big sale in there and some real talent to work with.

I’m not saying he’s done a bad job or failed, but not do I think he’s done a stellar job. It’s not binary.

Obviously the next appointment is crucial, but I think there’s just as much chance we’ll improve as get worse.

Either way, we support the club not any individuals or our own entrenched positions.

Moi aussi. It's a rare situation where I'm comfortable either way as I can see both sides of the argument.

On the one hand, overall Mark has done a good job under difficult conditions. On face value, consistent top 12 finishes within our budget, whilst nurturing young talent, seems perfectly reasonable and presents a clear case for keeping Mark on.

On the other hand, the team's form has fallen off a cliff since January and shows no signs of abating. Couple this with what's happening behind the scenes and you can also make a clear case for change.

What's key for me is the board's ambition (which, by the way, they could do a better job of communicating so that fans can understand the rationale behind their decisions). Many QPR fans appear content with watching an entertaining, competitive team in the championship whilst developing young talent. If that were Mark's remit then he's been overwhelmingly successful and deserves to stay. I suspect, however, that the board have loftier ambitions and this would have been reflected in Mark's improved contract. Their aim is promotion to the Premier League and having watched the team capitulate from being 2 points off second in January to being well outside the play-off picture come April, it's understandable that they want to make a change. Moreover, from a financial perspective it makes sense to do so when the manager's contract is expiring as well as some of the squad. This avoids costly pay-offs and provides headroom for the incoming manager to make his mark from the start.

What's telling for me is that Mark has remained dignified even when resigned to losing his job. I suspect that deep down he understands that the condition of his improved contract was to make the play-offs and in that regard, he has failed. Having accepted said contract, he then can't blame the board for making a results-orientated decision. Lest we forget, Mark comes from a trading background and is used to such sharp decisions.

Nevertheless, Mark remains largely popular with the fanbase because many have a different remit to the board. Ultimately, whilst fans are undoubtedly the lifeblood of the club, the board pay their money and take their choice. What I will say, however, is that Mark's popularity with the fans places immense pressure on the board to get the next appointment right. Do that, and they will look like geniuses and we'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Get it wrong and Mark's ghost will come back to haunt them.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 12:57 - Apr 29 with 1680 viewsWelsh_Ranger

I think the underlying fact or issue that needs addressing is and has been pointed out, what is the boards ambition....

My fear in all of this is do they have the metal to make the right decision in the appointment of a new coach given our failure pre MW to appoint said person?

I guess only time will tell but i do echo everyone elses sentiments that it is very sad to see MW leave, genuinely been a very gracious, principled and decent manager right up until the final whistle.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 13:23 - Apr 29 with 1537 viewsJamesB1979

Not sure he’d leave Coventry but always liked Mark Robins. Relatively young and done the “hard yards” at a number of clubs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024