Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( 19:00 - Apr 28 with 30809 viewsNorthernr

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 13:23 - Apr 29 with 3199 viewsWatfordR

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 10:57 - Apr 29 by Antti_Heinola

Just reading up on him. Very interesting. Been extremely successful elsewhere. Young, style of play we would want. Would he want to leave MK if they went up though?

Does the new shareholder have any connection to City Football Group I wonder?
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 13:52 - Apr 29 with 3043 viewsR_from_afar

As I was nursing my aching body yesterday after a 7 a side match in which we got soundly thrashed and scored five (5) own goals, a name drifted into my head and refused to go away: Karl Robinson. It felt like I was having some sort of premonition. I didn't enjoy it.

I have no idea what his style is like but the current Wigan manager, Leam Richardson, is doing a good job....

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:00 - Apr 29 with 2999 viewsed_83

This is an incredibly sad end to a season that started with so much promise and optimism - agree with everything that's been said about Warburton's qualities as a person, the improvements he's brought across the club, the risks inherent in sacking our best manager in a decade, and the shoddy way that's been handled and communicated. On balance I think this is probably the wrong decision, and that we should have stuck with MW for another season no matter what.

At the same time, I don't think any manager can go on a run like we've been on for the last few months and expect to stay in post. Ending things now, recruiting a replacement swiftly, and giving the new manager a full summer to work with the squad and contribute to transfer policy and contract renewals, is infinitely better than giving Warburton another year, our form continuing to tank and then sacking him in September.

Trying to be as optimistic as possible: while Warburton's obviously been a brilliant servant for the club over the last three years, he's also not been able to get acceptable performances out of the squad on a consistent basis for half a season now. If we can recruit a manager who can do that, while building on the superb foundations Warburton's built - just as happened at Brentford after he left them - then we'll look back on this decision as the right one for the club, however unfair on Warburton it feels.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2022 14:03]
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:02 - Apr 29 with 2989 viewsngbqpr

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 13:23 - Apr 29 by JamesB1979

Not sure he’d leave Coventry but always liked Mark Robins. Relatively young and done the “hard yards” at a number of clubs.

The stability and consequent steady progress Cov have made under Robins is what I think we should have aspired to under Warbs.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:06 - Apr 29 with 2977 viewsaston_hoop

Liam Manning would be very interesting but maybe not what the board want. I just get this awful feeling, I hope I'm wrong, that the board might be ditching any thoughts of 'long term' again. Maybe I'm just being paranoid

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:07 - Apr 29 with 2963 viewsTheChef

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 12:57 - Apr 29 by Welsh_Ranger

I think the underlying fact or issue that needs addressing is and has been pointed out, what is the boards ambition....

My fear in all of this is do they have the metal to make the right decision in the appointment of a new coach given our failure pre MW to appoint said person?

I guess only time will tell but i do echo everyone elses sentiments that it is very sad to see MW leave, genuinely been a very gracious, principled and decent manager right up until the final whistle.

Equally what were MW's objectives at the start of the season? Was it always to finish in the play offs?

I'd have thought 'finishing higher than the previous season' was sufficient, but then as mentioned the the aims of the owners are not that clear. Safe to assume it is to get back into the Premier League, but is that a) asap at all costs (within, er, FFP) or b) over time organically, through development of our own talent with astute signings added.

Because this season and for most of MW's tenure the plan looked like B, until the turn of the year and some people in charge got all excited and shifted further to A. And then the wheels fell off.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:13 - Apr 29 with 2920 viewsdavman

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:07 - Apr 29 by TheChef

Equally what were MW's objectives at the start of the season? Was it always to finish in the play offs?

I'd have thought 'finishing higher than the previous season' was sufficient, but then as mentioned the the aims of the owners are not that clear. Safe to assume it is to get back into the Premier League, but is that a) asap at all costs (within, er, FFP) or b) over time organically, through development of our own talent with astute signings added.

Because this season and for most of MW's tenure the plan looked like B, until the turn of the year and some people in charge got all excited and shifted further to A. And then the wheels fell off.

Nearly true, but there is no way that our January window equated to "at all costs". I reckon that the gamble was taken in the summer with Austin and Jojo. I suspect (with absolutely no evidence) that their wages blew the budget, which meant that we had no chance of doing anything in January.

Sanderson came in because De Wijs went out; the anomaly being Hendrick, who I suspect was bought in to cover Jojo.

Incidentally, the latest WLS podcast with Kevin Gallen revealed that Johansen has not trained properly since November...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:22 - Apr 29 with 2841 viewsQPR_John

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 11:45 - Apr 29 by A40Bosh

Not had a chance to read all 6 pages so high chance of repeating what some have probably said.

Firstly, would have given MW another year to continue the work he has been doing, but as I feared priority 1 on MW's performance management for 2021/2022 was at least the playoffs and hopefully win through the playoffs to promotion.

Timing of this announcement? I wonder whether Warbs talking to the West London Sport team a day or so early has pushed the announcement out or whether this was all orchestrated in the last week or so to be public on Thursday night and it was just Warbs being open and honest when Ian asked him specific questions - who knows.

I think we should not read too much in to the statement wording of "the search now begins".... I would like to think that that is only fluff out of respect for the announcement of the parting of ways and that behind the scenes LF and the board have already been researching who is out there that fits the style of football that Warbs introduced rather than scramble around for a manager willing to take the job on with a small budget.

As to the why, yes Warbs has been a good manager in many ways but perhaps there are limitations which is why he got so far at Brentford and parted company and then he was ousted from Rangers and Forest. Who knows if that horrific run of form was just very bad luck with injuries and the disruption to the core team who had been on a positive run or was it poor management decisions and an inability to act?

I do have to say once I started to read this thread this morning after shrugging off the news when it came out last night, I do have a sick feeling in my stomach now that the owners have cut their own noses and not had the patience for 1 more crack at it with Warbs.

Was thinking of swerving LF tonight only because of the grief of trying to get home with the central line strike this evening, but will make sure I get there to clap him off and I really hope the team show how much they want to play for him and we don't wake up tomorrow feeling even worse

“ I really hope the team show how much they want to play for him and we don't wake up tomorrow feeling even worse”

If they had shown that a few months ago then Warburton would still be manager. Would be strange to show you want to play for a manager that won’t be here next season
Login to get fewer ads

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:36 - Apr 29 with 2762 viewsMatch82

After more consideration I wonder if this has more to do with the relationship between the board and Warburton than anything else. Last 2 months aside there's not much to justify this in terms of results. Always seemed like there was something just a bit off there.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:55 - Apr 29 with 2673 viewsthemodfather

all the best Warbs, thanks for your work and giving us some good football, some wins and some hope.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:56 - Apr 29 with 2665 viewsA40Bosh

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:22 - Apr 29 by QPR_John

“ I really hope the team show how much they want to play for him and we don't wake up tomorrow feeling even worse”

If they had shown that a few months ago then Warburton would still be manager. Would be strange to show you want to play for a manager that won’t be here next season

So that is not what I was really saying in that last comment.

I honestly don't think any of the players who have put on the shirt so far this season have ever been phoning it in and that throughout there has been no 'loss of the changing room' and they have up to this point always wanted to "play for him" and have tried their best but it has not worked out for whatever reason.

My point being is now that the decision has been announced that they just therefore down tools tonight and treat the season as over and all is lost - and then we get walloped in his last home game and we feel even worse tomorrow - for those who are not best pleased with his departure I hope they give him a good result tonight.

However, if we want to be cynical he is already referencing further unprecedented injury concerns ahead of tonight during his pre-match interview with Paul M.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:56 - Apr 29 with 2661 viewsTheChef

We'd be in the play offs too.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:59 - Apr 29 with 2647 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 19:26 - Apr 28 by CamberleyR

Stupid, brain dead decision. This has been handled by the club so badly. Warbs, an honourable man, has been treated very shabbily in my opinion. I think we'll be regretting this move.

This.

Any other championship club in a similar position we'd all be wetting ourselves with laughter and taking the p1ss out of how incompetent they were. Ridiculous. And in the end we'll all get exactly what we fcucking deserve.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 15:01 - Apr 29 with 2630 viewsderbyhoop

There's little doubt that MW has gone a long way to making QPR better than when he was appointed;
The football has been more enjoyable, we've made progress, some younger players have come through and there may be more to follow. For a Championship level club, on a very tight budget, Warburton would be high on the list of possible replacements for Warburton.

However, the last 3 months has seen such an alarming drop off that any manager presiding over it would be under threat. Given the way we finished last season I suspect the expectations at Board level were a play off place. Although we are not privy, nor should we expect to be, to what goes on behind the scenes.

The worry is that they claim they are just starting the search for a replacement, when, one would have hoped, they already had somebody lined up before they took the final decision. At the moment I cannot identify anybody who might be tempted. Either they are in work, and content or out of work for a very good reason. I've seen Farke, Carvahal and Liam Manning from MK Dons suggested. Only the latter strikes me as a step forward. Even that would be dependant on what happens in the rest of their season.

Whet happens now with the various out of contract players? Some of them are MW picks - Lee Wallace, Dom Ball and Odubajo. Then you have the situation with Barbet, Adomah and Austin. Do we want any new manager to deal with a(nother) major overhaul of the squad?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 15:07 - Apr 29 with 2573 viewsdaveB

Warburton was quite open in the summer saying playoffs was the aim
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 15:25 - Apr 29 with 2480 viewsBenny_the_Ball

By offering improved terms the board reset the target to play-offs minimum. Signing this contract demonstrates that Mark agreed with the new target. At that point, he waved goodbye to any notion that finishing higher than last season constitutes success.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 15:31 - Apr 29 with 2453 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Without sounding candid, I made this very point back in January. Given results it seemed odd to me at the time the board weren't opening talks with Mark about a contract extension. This suggested to me that something wasn't quite right behind the scenes.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 16:11 - Apr 29 with 2348 viewsOldPedro

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 14:00 - Apr 29 by ed_83

This is an incredibly sad end to a season that started with so much promise and optimism - agree with everything that's been said about Warburton's qualities as a person, the improvements he's brought across the club, the risks inherent in sacking our best manager in a decade, and the shoddy way that's been handled and communicated. On balance I think this is probably the wrong decision, and that we should have stuck with MW for another season no matter what.

At the same time, I don't think any manager can go on a run like we've been on for the last few months and expect to stay in post. Ending things now, recruiting a replacement swiftly, and giving the new manager a full summer to work with the squad and contribute to transfer policy and contract renewals, is infinitely better than giving Warburton another year, our form continuing to tank and then sacking him in September.

Trying to be as optimistic as possible: while Warburton's obviously been a brilliant servant for the club over the last three years, he's also not been able to get acceptable performances out of the squad on a consistent basis for half a season now. If we can recruit a manager who can do that, while building on the superb foundations Warburton's built - just as happened at Brentford after he left them - then we'll look back on this decision as the right one for the club, however unfair on Warburton it feels.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2022 14:03]

"Ending things now, recruiting a replacement swiftly, and giving the new manager a full summer to work with the squad and contribute to transfer policy and contract renewals........"

Let's hope that the board / Les / Lee do know who they want and are going to be able to get the appointment done quickly, so the new manager does have the summer to work with the squad. Especially important as the new season starts at the end of July.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 16:29 - Apr 29 with 2285 viewsDiscodroids

I'm an old man now so i don't get that upset about Managers coming and going. Mark seemed a principled man with a floorboards up work ethic and vastly intelligent. I think a senior role at the FA beckons.

It made me think the last time i was really upset when a manager left, It would have been my all time hero Gerry leaving for Spurs.

i was 'working' as a reinsurance broker in lloyds of london at the time and bombarded Gerry with scores of Lloyds letter headed faxes, begging him not to leave.

If anyone remembers Tony Blackburns breakdown on air when Tessa Wyatt left him For richard O'sullivan playing Bobby Goldsboro's 'HONEY' on Radio one over and over, They will get some picture of my state of mind at the time, When Gerry left me for Spurs.

Mark, Honey, I'll miss you.

[Post edited 29 Apr 2022 16:34]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 23:16 - Apr 29 with 1967 viewsthemodfather

should the board have decided this earlier in season? 3 losses to posh , add barnsley etc = not good imo.
we fell away so badly it was like the titanic captain being told there is ice ahead and going to bed and turning off the telegraph. . thanks for your efforts warbs , we had hope and that's what done us.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 00:15 - Apr 30 with 1842 viewsDiscodroids

Fk me , tonight was the most tragic ending of career since Jim Morrison was puffing on a reefer on stage at the new haven arena.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 01:31 - Apr 30 with 1710 viewsozexile

I think it's pretty clear now that the board and DOF are just winging it. There is no plan, no replacement. Just casting their net into the sea and seeing what they haul in.
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 02:13 - Apr 30 with 1672 viewsVancouverHoop

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 01:31 - Apr 30 by ozexile

I think it's pretty clear now that the board and DOF are just winging it. There is no plan, no replacement. Just casting their net into the sea and seeing what they haul in.

Why is that clear?
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 09:09 - Apr 30 with 1416 viewsstevec

Well, to put Warbs management into perspective…

Sheffield United boss Paul Heckingbottom: ‘Big win. Big performance. It’s about what happens in both boxes. Everything that happens in between is propaganda, isn’t it?’
Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 09:17 - Apr 30 with 1372 viewsPunteR

Warburton departure confirmed officially :-( on 13:52 - Apr 29 by R_from_afar

As I was nursing my aching body yesterday after a 7 a side match in which we got soundly thrashed and scored five (5) own goals, a name drifted into my head and refused to go away: Karl Robinson. It felt like I was having some sort of premonition. I didn't enjoy it.

I have no idea what his style is like but the current Wigan manager, Leam Richardson, is doing a good job....

If you're still playing at Bracknell sports centre than no wonder you are aching ,that pitch is terrible.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024