Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries 09:58 - Mar 20 with 1511 viewsdurham_exile

Darrell Clarke brings his Valiants to Town today for the start of three successive Home Matches. The Port Vale game will be followed by Tranmere and Bradford. All difficult games, but then when you are 21st in the table they all are.

First though International call ups — Congratulations to Callum “Ainsley” Harriott whose Michelin star performances have quite rightly seen him get the call from Guyana.

But many congratulations to Kwame Poku, who at the tender age of 19 has been called up to the Black Stars squad and could be playing for Ghana against South Africa. A magnificent achievement.

It would be remiss of me though not to mention a milestone for Colchester’s Mr Consistency Tom Eastman who has clocked up 400 appearances for the U’s. Despite our woes he has been an ever present and his performances have always been toward the upper range of the scale. Well done Tom.

WB is also beginning to weave some magic for his charges. Normally back-to-back 0-0 draws would not set the pulses racing, but when we are trying to eke out every point for survival the Away games at Grimsby and Salford show the commitment and effort that he is instilling within the team. Importantly he played a settled team for consecutive games which we have not seen this season. Of course, at least one change is required today but we have players ready to step up to the plate.

I must also pay tribute to Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu who is becoming the number one on the team sheet. He gives us the steel in midfield but also, he links up with the forward players. I reckon that Harry Pell and Ben Stevenson should play alongside him today.

Table:
Walsall 34 39 -6
PV 36 38 -6
COL U 35 38 -15
Barrow 33 35 -3
Southend 35 30 -28
Grimsby 34 27 -28

Remaining fixtures:
PV H
Tranmere H
Bradford H
Bolton A
Barrow H
Oldham A
Walsall H
Southend H
Cheltenham A
Salford H
Tranmere A

I still think to be absolutely safe we still need 15 points and milestones are 40 and 50 points. Incredibly were we to win our next three home games then 47 points would already be touching distance of survival and the team could then play with confidence and push up the table with perhaps 60 points a possible finishing tally. Still not good enough but considering the wretched season that we have had a minor miracle.

WB would not only then be given the job on a permanent basis but would be considered for Canonisation. There is already enough pressure on the team, but it is about time that we not only scored a goal but also won a game handsomely. So why not defeat Port Vale by 4-0 to really boost the goal difference and also give that confidence for the forthcoming home matches.

Possible team 4,3,1,2:

George

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Clampin

Wiredu Pell Stevenson

Brown

Folivi Nouble

Subs:

Gerken Chilvers Tchamadeu Senior Oteh Cowan-Hall Tovide

Critics might question the lack of Wingers but Folivi, and Big Frank can play on the wings whilst Jevani Brown can play through the middle. Pell and Stevenson can play in the centre of the park leaving Wiredu to foray behind the strikers.

Josh Bohui appears to have disappeared off the radar but when he did play, I was disappointed with him and his apparent boast to get back to Manchester United did not fill me with enthusiasm that his heart lay in North Essex.

I would like to see Samson Tovide get 20 minutes if possible. He is relatively untested, but his raw enthusiasm is worth the opportunity to see what he can do. The opposition certainly do not know anything about him.

One thing is clear our activity in the final third has been sadly lacking and it is time to rectify that. The prospect of 13 0-0 draws may give us 51 points but the hotline to the Samaritans will be working overtime, I fear.

The weather today in Durham is beautiful with blue skies and dry sunny conditions. Colchester will experience 9 degrees and cloud but dry conditions. The pitch should be beginning to improve and needs to stand up to three games in one week.

And yes, I do believe it is time to remove the shackles and get that forward line ticking over. Get the ball to feet and give plenty of service to the front three.

However, you watch or listen to the game, enjoy it, and look forward to the U's breaking the 40-point barrier at 1650hrs today.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 11:38 - Mar 20 with 1478 viewsburnsieespana

Be happy for a 1-0 win.
Would play PCH instead of Folivi for his experience and fact he has looked a real battler in his recent games.
Stevenson a must to both create and maybe get a long range winner!
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 14:07 - Mar 20 with 1437 viewsnoah4x4

Got the U's on I Follow on my desktop.
Got India V England on my laptop.
Planning not to miss any of the action.

Frankly, I am happy if Harriott is absent. I forces WB to do something different and I have not been satisfied with Harriott's recent perfomances. Yes, he scored two goals in our last win, but in nine of the last ten games has been almost anonymous. Like Brown, Poku and Senior, I worry that Harriott is a tad lazy. Rarely do any of them chase the ball or gamble on getting in the box, nor do their stint in defence. We should only accomodate one prima donna, yet typically have select at least three. We need hard grafters.
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 14:17 - Mar 20 with 1434 viewsnoah4x4

Not got I Follow working yet - just a black screen. Anybody else having trouble?

EDIT - Now got it working
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 14:22]
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 14:30 - Mar 20 with 1419 viewsFruitbat

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 14:07 - Mar 20 by noah4x4

Got the U's on I Follow on my desktop.
Got India V England on my laptop.
Planning not to miss any of the action.

Frankly, I am happy if Harriott is absent. I forces WB to do something different and I have not been satisfied with Harriott's recent perfomances. Yes, he scored two goals in our last win, but in nine of the last ten games has been almost anonymous. Like Brown, Poku and Senior, I worry that Harriott is a tad lazy. Rarely do any of them chase the ball or gamble on getting in the box, nor do their stint in defence. We should only accomodate one prima donna, yet typically have select at least three. We need hard grafters.

How it's going currently England could be chasing 250!
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 14:54 - Mar 20 with 1406 viewswessex_exile

U's line-up

29..George
2....Welch-Hayes
18..Eastman
5....Smith
21..Clampin
22..Sarpong-Wiredu
8....Pell
24..Stevenson
14..Chilvers
10..Brown
45..Nouble

4-4-2?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 15:03 - Mar 20 with 1400 viewsgerry_us

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 14:54 - Mar 20 by wessex_exile

U's line-up

29..George
2....Welch-Hayes
18..Eastman
5....Smith
21..Clampin
22..Sarpong-Wiredu
8....Pell
24..Stevenson
14..Chilvers
10..Brown
45..Nouble

4-4-2?

4-1-2-1-2 apparently???
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 15:22 - Mar 20 with 1385 viewsgerry_us

Oooops. Now we "have" to score a goal.
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 15:33 - Mar 20 with 1366 viewsmfb_cufc

21 games now since we last scored first in a game.

mfb

Login to get fewer ads

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 15:40 - Mar 20 with 1361 viewsnoah4x4

This is awful. Don’t we practice passing?
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 15:57 - Mar 20 with 1334 viewsMoor_Pinot

Of course confidence isn't easy to acquire but dear oh dear we really do look like a very poor set up. It's hard to avoid worrying about the next drop in this long term continual decline.
Come on WB, pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Moor Pinot

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:04 - Mar 20 with 1322 viewsthrillseeker

Another painful watch

Let's hope for a better 2nd half
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:26 - Mar 20 with 1280 viewsdurham_exile

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:04 - Mar 20 by thrillseeker

Another painful watch

Let's hope for a better 2nd half

Barrow winning
Grimsby and Scummend drawing

We must get something from this game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:42 - Mar 20 with 1252 viewsgerry_us

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:26 - Mar 20 by durham_exile

Barrow winning
Grimsby and Scummend drawing

We must get something from this game.

Up the U's

Grimsby down 2-1 Durham.

To get anything out of this game we actually have to score a goal. Who have we got to do that?

Oooops Southend winning now.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 16:44]
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:47 - Mar 20 with 1242 viewsdurham_exile

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:42 - Mar 20 by gerry_us

Grimsby down 2-1 Durham.

To get anything out of this game we actually have to score a goal. Who have we got to do that?

Oooops Southend winning now.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 16:44]

Grim times

Durham_exile

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:54 - Mar 20 with 1236 viewsnoah4x4

This is without doubt the most disorganised and woeful side I have watched in 18 years of supporting my adopted local team. Cowling and Humes have destroyed this football club.
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:56 - Mar 20 with 1227 viewsdurham_exile

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:47 - Mar 20 by durham_exile

Grim times

Bad defeat today and Scummend winning can things get much worse.

Sadly they can unless we can find the back of the net.

And soon

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:57 - Mar 20 with 1225 viewsthrillseeker

This is breaking my heart watching the same sh*t performances every match

I fear this may be a pivotal and decisive weekend for the worse
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 17:02 - Mar 20 with 1216 viewswessex_exile

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:57 - Mar 20 by thrillseeker

This is breaking my heart watching the same sh*t performances every match

I fear this may be a pivotal and decisive weekend for the worse

10-man Scunthorpe have equalised. In other news, Barrow snatch a win, Grimsby get a late equaliser.

That was predominantly absolutely dire - if we're to survive this season, it'll be mainly by being slightly less shite than two others, and even that is looking debatable at the moment.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 17:40 - Mar 20 with 1164 viewsthrillseeker

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 17:02 - Mar 20 by wessex_exile

10-man Scunthorpe have equalised. In other news, Barrow snatch a win, Grimsby get a late equaliser.

That was predominantly absolutely dire - if we're to survive this season, it'll be mainly by being slightly less shite than two others, and even that is looking debatable at the moment.

I switched off immediately after game so had no idea of Scunthorpe equaliser but I've cheered up a little. Best news of the afternoon

Tuesday's fixtures with my predicted results in brackets

Colchester United v Tranmere (away win)
Barrow v Grimsby (home win)
Seaweed v Walsall (draw)
Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 18:27 - Mar 20 with 1126 viewsbwildered

Played into their hands first half by pumping the ball forward and then conceding another soft goal, giving them the essential cushion .
Now more about avoiding the bottom two than chasing anyone .

PS- Good coverage of National league on BT Sport. Might get Adam Virgo to remember he played for somebody other than Brighton and Celtic .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 19:11 - Mar 20 with 1065 viewsLeadbelly

Just seen the goal. WTF was MWH doing?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 20:14 - Mar 20 with 1013 viewsmfb_cufc

Valiant U's to overcome the team from the Potteries on 16:54 - Mar 20 by noah4x4

This is without doubt the most disorganised and woeful side I have watched in 18 years of supporting my adopted local team. Cowling and Humes have destroyed this football club.

At last, you have realised Cowling has destroyed this football club. I have been saying it for ages.

Also with such a disillusioned manager, what chance have we got. After his reaction to today's defeat, you have to wonder what game Brown was watching.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/19175907.colchester-united-beaten-1-0-home-
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 22:35]

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024