Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wine 23:04 - Dec 8 with 1851 viewsburnsieespana

Noah mentioning Malbec has led me to do a straw poll of what others on here like to drink
Have to say an Argentinian Malbec from Mendosa is also my top wine, a taste developed a few years ago when I spent three months in Argentina.
When my son lived in Acton we always went to a slightly bizarre but chilled wine bar which served Argentinian Malbec.
So thoughts on everybody else's favourite tipple of wine?
[Post edited 8 Dec 2021 23:08]
Wine on 23:17 - Dec 8 with 1831 viewsLeadbelly

Can’t remember the last time I drank wine. Used to enjoy claret but since I had salmonella about twenty years ago all red wine tastes to me as if it’s corked.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Wine on 23:38 - Dec 8 with 1822 viewsFruitbat

Blue Nun. Straight out of the bottle.
Wine on 06:05 - Dec 9 with 1801 viewsnoah4x4

I drink far too much Argentinian Malbec - wonderful wine.

Tesco offer a superb range at low prices. Try the aptly named "Beef Steak". Cheap as chips yet just as good as the £12 a bottle with a fancy moniker stuff I was on last night. Lock down had a huge impact on my drinking habits. Fewer pints, many more carafes.

Every two months, our group of friends hold a wine tasting evening rotating between our homes. Frankly, it is just an excuse for each person to bring a different bottle and we hence all sample many different wine options with appropriate food recommendations, notably cheeses and savouries. A bottle when shared between 12 persons means a small (half) measure of each wine for all, and hence a dozen different samples in an evening. We can be bold enough to try Hungarian, Bulgarian or others that we might otherwise bypass. Most are good, occasionally one is less so, but given no spitting or waste, nobody actually cares by the time the fleet of taxis arrive.
Wine on 08:31 - Dec 9 with 1787 viewsbwildered

Not stopped wining since Tuesday night ( ! ) and it’s only the second day of the test.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Wine on 08:55 - Dec 9 with 1777 viewsnoah4x4

Wine on 08:31 - Dec 9 by bwildered

Not stopped wining since Tuesday night ( ! ) and it’s only the second day of the test.

The joy is it is on BT Sport, so I am not compelled to watch it.
Wine on 09:13 - Dec 9 with 1773 viewsTheOldOakTree

I don’t drink much, but when I do, my favourite tipple would be a glass of the best champagne I can afford. God only knows why some roughneck from very modest working-class roots would develop such la-di-da hooray tendencies is beyond me, because there is nothing else refined about me. Maybe there was a mix up at the Lexden Road maternity hospital when I was born?

When it comes to regular drinking, a pint of Adnams Broadside will do very nicely.
Wine on 09:16 - Dec 9 with 1770 viewsMadeira163

I used to be a wine snob had to come from a bottle
Since arriving in Madeira II was introduced to a very drinkable red in a box
5l litres 8.50€ but been on offer at 5.99
Wine on 10:07 - Dec 9 with 1761 viewswessex_exile

Wine on 09:13 - Dec 9 by TheOldOakTree

I don’t drink much, but when I do, my favourite tipple would be a glass of the best champagne I can afford. God only knows why some roughneck from very modest working-class roots would develop such la-di-da hooray tendencies is beyond me, because there is nothing else refined about me. Maybe there was a mix up at the Lexden Road maternity hospital when I was born?

When it comes to regular drinking, a pint of Adnams Broadside will do very nicely.

Oh yes, Broadside is a very nice tipple indeed. I drink wine sparingly, but when I do I tend to prefer a chilled New World Chardonnay.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Login to get fewer ads

Wine on 10:23 - Dec 9 with 1758 viewsMoor_Pinot

Wine on 10:07 - Dec 9 by wessex_exile

Oh yes, Broadside is a very nice tipple indeed. I drink wine sparingly, but when I do I tend to prefer a chilled New World Chardonnay.

It's all so personal because it's to do with taste and what our metabolisms can manage. I will always prefer a good pint any day - one of the things I look forward to when I come back and Broadside is indeed splendid.

Living here there is only French wine and a remarkable array of grapes. I've had to learn by research as well as tasting and don't wish to bore or fill this board!
But when you find what you like Toot's point about champagne mirrors mine. I buy the best of what I like that I can get, preferably direct from a vigneron. Of course here wines of high quality are not expensive (though absolutely everything else here costs far more than in the UK, incredibly so) which eases the task.

I like pinot noir best, so try to buy the lesser burgundies, Reuilly or Irancy whilst the sauvignon blanc Quincy is the nicest I know. Naturally it's useful to ask locals as they know well!

But on champagne, the French cannot afford it and nor can I but there is an alternative which I don't know is available in the UK. They - & we - drink Cremant de Bourgogne (or de Loire) @ €6 a bottle. Sometimes impossible to tell from champagne anyway and the Cremant de Bourgogne is made by the same methodology as champagne.

Cheers!

Moor Pinot

Wine on 13:08 - Dec 9 with 1735 viewsthrillseeker

Not really a wine drinker

If I should have a glass I normally opt for a Barossa Valley Shiraz.

White wine is a definite no for me
Wine on 13:55 - Dec 9 with 1727 viewsTheOldOakTree

Wine on 10:23 - Dec 9 by Moor_Pinot

It's all so personal because it's to do with taste and what our metabolisms can manage. I will always prefer a good pint any day - one of the things I look forward to when I come back and Broadside is indeed splendid.

Living here there is only French wine and a remarkable array of grapes. I've had to learn by research as well as tasting and don't wish to bore or fill this board!
But when you find what you like Toot's point about champagne mirrors mine. I buy the best of what I like that I can get, preferably direct from a vigneron. Of course here wines of high quality are not expensive (though absolutely everything else here costs far more than in the UK, incredibly so) which eases the task.

I like pinot noir best, so try to buy the lesser burgundies, Reuilly or Irancy whilst the sauvignon blanc Quincy is the nicest I know. Naturally it's useful to ask locals as they know well!

But on champagne, the French cannot afford it and nor can I but there is an alternative which I don't know is available in the UK. They - & we - drink Cremant de Bourgogne (or de Loire) @ €6 a bottle. Sometimes impossible to tell from champagne anyway and the Cremant de Bourgogne is made by the same methodology as champagne.

Cheers!

Pinault, I don’t know if you shop in Super U, but some of their wines have burgundy coloured cardboard sleeves over the neck with “Club des Vins et Terroirs” written on them (not the green or brown sleeves). I don’t normally buy anything that’s on offer or recommended as I’m always suspicious that they are trying to bang out stuff that won’t sell, but I’ve bought numerous wines recommended by this “Club” and they always hit the spot. Some are under 5 euros others are a bit pricey.

Madame Toot thinks I’ve become an expert in choosing wines (I don’t have a clue), but I take the sleeves off before I get home!

As you say it’s a very personal thing. We lived in Chablis for a while (too hot in the summer and way too cold in the winter) and Irancy is not far away. The locals raved about it, but it didn’t do it for me. It’s a good job we are all different.

I appreciate I’m about to sound a complete t#@t, but it must have a proper cork, no plastic or screw tops. The glass is important and I have to open it with a proper waiters corkscrew and enjoy the plonk as the cork comes out.

I guess that as I don’t drink much I can afford to faff about with the foreplay!
Wine on 15:57 - Dec 9 with 1711 viewsburnsieespana

Wine on 10:23 - Dec 9 by Moor_Pinot

Cheers!

On the subject of Champagne here in Andalucia we get from our local supermarket Cava at 1.99 euro and I would defy anybody to tell the difference!
I do miss the Real Ales which since brexit have pretty much disappeared from all bars and shops.
Wine on 16:44 - Dec 9 with 1708 viewsMoor_Pinot

Wine on 15:57 - Dec 9 by burnsieespana

On the subject of Champagne here in Andalucia we get from our local supermarket Cava at 1.99 euro and I would defy anybody to tell the difference!
I do miss the Real Ales which since brexit have pretty much disappeared from all bars and shops.

Interesting Burnsie but can you advise. My insides will no longer cope with fizz (lager, Coke, etc) but of course champagnes and Cremants are made by an ancient method invented by the monks and they don't upset my tummy. Is Cava made like that or does it have added gas?

Moor Pinot

Wine on 17:01 - Dec 9 with 1703 viewsMoor_Pinot

Wine on 13:55 - Dec 9 by TheOldOakTree

Pinault, I don’t know if you shop in Super U, but some of their wines have burgundy coloured cardboard sleeves over the neck with “Club des Vins et Terroirs” written on them (not the green or brown sleeves). I don’t normally buy anything that’s on offer or recommended as I’m always suspicious that they are trying to bang out stuff that won’t sell, but I’ve bought numerous wines recommended by this “Club” and they always hit the spot. Some are under 5 euros others are a bit pricey.

Madame Toot thinks I’ve become an expert in choosing wines (I don’t have a clue), but I take the sleeves off before I get home!

As you say it’s a very personal thing. We lived in Chablis for a while (too hot in the summer and way too cold in the winter) and Irancy is not far away. The locals raved about it, but it didn’t do it for me. It’s a good job we are all different.

I appreciate I’m about to sound a complete t#@t, but it must have a proper cork, no plastic or screw tops. The glass is important and I have to open it with a proper waiters corkscrew and enjoy the plonk as the cork comes out.

I guess that as I don’t drink much I can afford to faff about with the foreplay!

Bonjour Toot, I know Chablis well and interestingly whilst I like Irancy (it must be by the family Colinot or the younger Cantin though) it's Chablis that doesn't do it for me! As we've both said it is very personal.

Yes we use Hyper U Fontenay-le-Comte and their wine choices are invariably good, provided it's a product/grape/domaine that I like. Problem with Hyper U, considering its 'clout' is that their range is not particularly extensive and there are real gaps. The local little known (except by the Americans) Vendée reds are interesting but again it's the individual vigneron who can come up with the goods at the right price.
You're damn right about the weather in the Chablis part of Burgundy. Way too cold. In three years in the Vendée I've yet to see snow and only have a few frosts so the vines do OK. Being near the ocean keeps summer temperatures below 34° but that's still too much for us really.

It is still possible to get the wine you want from the vignerons themselves at a good price. So if you don't drink much - as I don't - then you can have something very good for a fair price. So, ignoring Irancy as you don't like it, I also source Reuilly, also Pinot Noir @11.50€ a bottle at the farm, though they often chuck in a couple free. The same product from the local cooperative is the same price and half as good and is what the supermarket tends to get and, dare I say it, tends to be exported. Six years ago M&S had some Irancy in their Isle of Wight shop for £10. I weakened, and regretted it. Reading the label I realised it was not made by any of the 21 vignerons in the village!
I'm off to Hyper U on Monday so I'll have a good look and think of your advice!

Up the U's, toasted in pinot noir, or an excellent pint of course!

Moor Pinot

Wine on 17:59 - Dec 9 with 1692 viewsTheOldOakTree

Wine on 15:57 - Dec 9 by burnsieespana

I still have work related interests in the UK, so used to pop back regularly and each time I would bring back a suply of Adnams, Timothy Taylors Landlord, London Pride, Doombar etc. Since Covid the trips have stopped and its all Zoom meetings.

Lager is OK in the summertime, but I could murder a decent pint this time of the year!

Going back to wine, a bottle of red will last us 2-3 days and it's amazing how many times it tastes better the second day.
Wine on 18:27 - Dec 9 with 1688 viewswessex_exile

Wine on 17:59 - Dec 9 by TheOldOakTree

I still have work related interests in the UK, so used to pop back regularly and each time I would bring back a suply of Adnams, Timothy Taylors Landlord, London Pride, Doombar etc. Since Covid the trips have stopped and its all Zoom meetings.

Lager is OK in the summertime, but I could murder a decent pint this time of the year!

Going back to wine, a bottle of red will last us 2-3 days and it's amazing how many times it tastes better the second day.

Likewise, a bottle of wine (red or white) might last me up to half a week, but day 2 onward it's almost always for cooking. Ironically, a good bottle of ale is doing well to last half an hour. It's an acquired taste, but I can heartily recommend Badger's Cranborne Poacher - quite a fruity taste, though definitely not a 'fruit beer', and at 5.7% packs a decent punch too.

Up the U's

Wine on 18:46 - Dec 9 with 1682 viewsMoor_Pinot

Wine on 18:27 - Dec 9 by wessex_exile

Likewise, a bottle of wine (red or white) might last me up to half a week, but day 2 onward it's almost always for cooking. Ironically, a good bottle of ale is doing well to last half an hour. It's an acquired taste, but I can heartily recommend Badger's Cranborne Poacher - quite a fruity taste, though definitely not a 'fruit beer', and at 5.7% packs a decent punch too.

With you there Wessex. I like their 'Hopping hare' too and can get it here.

On wine, as you'll know, you are brilliantly placed. Lay & Wheeler of Colchester are excellent merchants but just down your road you've got the Yapp Brothers!!
They are superb suppliers and sourcers of excellent wine. And we always make a good bottle last two or three days and like toot we feel it always improves!

Moor Pinot

Wine on 22:44 - Dec 9 with 1661 viewsghughes11

Now this is a topic I can get behind!

In no particular order..........

Central Otago or Martinborough Pinot Noir.
Hawkes Bay Chardonnay and Red Blends.
Marlborough Ponot Gris (Marlborough famous for its Sauvignon Blanc but soo many bad ones about it ruins it for the good ones).

I like to try and match my wine with food, so a nice Gewürztraminer with anything spicy.
Big glass of Rose on a hot summers day amongst the vines is a winner!

All that being said though, I would like to join the Adnams Broadside Appreciation Society please

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Wine on 22:51 - Dec 9 with 1661 viewswessex_exile

Wine on 18:46 - Dec 9 by Moor_Pinot

With you there Wessex. I like their 'Hopping hare' too and can get it here.

On wine, as you'll know, you are brilliantly placed. Lay & Wheeler of Colchester are excellent merchants but just down your road you've got the Yapp Brothers!!
They are superb suppliers and sourcers of excellent wine. And we always make a good bottle last two or three days and like toot we feel it always improves!

Good call Pinault, I will look into it.

On the subject of Lay and Wheeler, one of my best friends growing up on Greenstead got a part-time job working on the dray for them. They arrived one day at The Grapes for a delivery to find most of the windows smashed out and the place in disarray - turns out it was a fight the previous night for the last sausage roll!

Up the U's

Wine on 00:19 - Dec 10 with 1653 viewsLeadbelly

Wine on 22:51 - Dec 9 by wessex_exile

Good call Pinault, I will look into it.

On the subject of Lay and Wheeler, one of my best friends growing up on Greenstead got a part-time job working on the dray for them. They arrived one day at The Grapes for a delivery to find most of the windows smashed out and the place in disarray - turns out it was a fight the previous night for the last sausage roll!

My first full time job was with Lay & Wheeler, working on a dray.

Not sure they have any visible presence in Colchester these days as they were taken over several years ago. HQ now over the border in Holton St Mary. They may still have the extensive wine cellars that run under Colchester town centre though.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024