Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ethan Laird 09:57 - Apr 25 with 8623 viewsStevenageRanger

A player that has come in for a lot of stick lately.

He came on Saturday and within the first 5 mins or so put in a decent tackle. At the end was dancing in front of the fans. That is not a player that doesnt care in my opinion.

Yes he will be off at the end of the season and we don't know what happens behind closed doors, but he is (IMO) a far better player than Drewe.

Would you go with him for the last two games?
Ethan Laird on 10:12 - Apr 25 with 5595 viewsGaryBannister86

I don't think anyone would deny that he has looked a good player at times.

And it is jolly kind of him to come back and pull his finger out for 45 minutes when we were /are really in the doggy doo.

I think there's plenty of room for a statue of him in the Loft concourse?

But seriously, players like him and the other loans just emphasise the true value of a Macca (Alan, not Bonne), a Dunne, a Dickie, a Barbet. Maybe not the most talented in the world, but will give their all and be available whenever possible.

Was chuffed for Dickie on Sat.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 10:15]
Ethan Laird on 10:14 - Apr 25 with 5590 viewsJuzzie

Things have been really bad the last 6 months it's so difficult to judge how these players may actually perform in a more 'normal' situation in the future.
We've seen really good players like Dieng, Dickie, Willock, Dunne, Adomah, Johannsen, Chair etc go from being really good to being, well, not.

Would I go with him last two games?.... no idea! Players seems to blow hot & cold (well, mainly cold) from one game to the next!

[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 11:14]
Ethan Laird on 10:14 - Apr 25 with 5573 viewsgazza1

There has been lots of chat about players not caring, going through the motions and just here for the money, etc, etc but I am not so sure that is the case an d I am not so sure the so called 'good Rangers' would tolerate half the team not trying or performing, I just do not think it would happen en bloc like has been muted.

As for Laird, we saw what he is capable of in the early season, how GA has selected Drewe ahead of him recently baffles me. As for Saturday, Laird was decent and much better than Drewe.

If he was affordable I would sign him - he is never going to be good enough for Man Utd apart from the odd occasion.
Ethan Laird on 10:16 - Apr 25 with 5561 viewsdaveB

His performances have really dropped from the start of the season but reasons for that have been put down to he doesn't care but has been a pattern with him over the years that he starts well then fades in the second half of the season. There is a reason he keeps going out on loan and that's to find more consistency to his game especially when going gets tough.
Ethan Laird on 10:19 - Apr 25 with 5539 viewsrobith

Ethan Laird on 10:12 - Apr 25 by GaryBannister86

I don't think anyone would deny that he has looked a good player at times.

And it is jolly kind of him to come back and pull his finger out for 45 minutes when we were /are really in the doggy doo.

I think there's plenty of room for a statue of him in the Loft concourse?

But seriously, players like him and the other loans just emphasise the true value of a Macca (Alan, not Bonne), a Dunne, a Dickie, a Barbet. Maybe not the most talented in the world, but will give their all and be available whenever possible.

Was chuffed for Dickie on Sat.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 10:15]

Thinks it's pretty unfair to say Barbet was not the most talented. He was an exceptional passer of the ball, and it's that distribution from the back we have missed so much this season
Ethan Laird on 10:25 - Apr 25 with 5508 viewskernowhoop

Ethan Laird on 10:19 - Apr 25 by robith

Thinks it's pretty unfair to say Barbet was not the most talented. He was an exceptional passer of the ball, and it's that distribution from the back we have missed so much this season

Wasn't it Barbet who made that long pass to Eze at WBA? From it, Eze scored a brilliant goal and I always thought that helped us get the big bucks from Palace.
Ethan Laird on 10:25 - Apr 25 with 5502 viewsGaryBannister86

Ethan Laird on 10:19 - Apr 25 by robith

I liked Barbet a lot and wasn't having a go at him, quite the opposite.

Have to say though that absence has made the heart grow fonder for you, surely? Yes, he could bang a long diagonal ball, but if I remember right quite a few...missed their target.

I would label Ray Wilkins an exceptional passer of the ball, not dear old Yoann :-)
Ethan Laird on 10:42 - Apr 25 with 5400 viewsAntti_Heinola

Instructive that so many people pine (rightly so) for Barbet, after he was written off in his first season, even his first 18 months, by the majority of fans.

Sure there's a lesson in there, somewhere.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Ethan Laird on 10:48 - Apr 25 with 5363 viewsParkRoyalR

Ethan Laird is 21 years old and was playing very well in the early part of the season when we had a clear game-plan as to how we played and his role within that team,

I don't get the criticism of him either as seems a very likeable lad and does put a shift in,

I did notice in recent home game where he was signalling to Ainsworth when defending a free kick at Loft End to understand where he wanted him position-wise,

Not making excuses for the lad but that confusion, with 3 different Managers, might explain his drop-off in form, ie does he play in a back 4 or 5, different players in front of him most weeks and a non-existent midfield.
Ethan Laird on 10:59 - Apr 25 with 5295 viewsEastR

All other considerations aside, we won't be able to afford him next season

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Ethan Laird on 11:05 - Apr 25 with 5249 viewsgazza1

Ethan Laird on 10:48 - Apr 25 by ParkRoyalR

Ethan Laird is 21 years old and was playing very well in the early part of the season when we had a clear game-plan as to how we played and his role within that team,

I don't get the criticism of him either as seems a very likeable lad and does put a shift in,

I did notice in recent home game where he was signalling to Ainsworth when defending a free kick at Loft End to understand where he wanted him position-wise,

Not making excuses for the lad but that confusion, with 3 different Managers, might explain his drop-off in form, ie does he play in a back 4 or 5, different players in front of him most weeks and a non-existent midfield.

Well well well.....we agree PRR!!!
Ethan Laird on 11:09 - Apr 25 with 5236 viewsTonto

Ethan Laird on 10:42 - Apr 25 by Antti_Heinola

Instructive that so many people pine (rightly so) for Barbet, after he was written off in his first season, even his first 18 months, by the majority of fans.

that would imply we learnt the lesson from Furlong, or Bardsley or, how much further back should I go?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Ethan Laird on 11:13 - Apr 25 with 5205 viewsngbqpr

Ethan Laird on 10:42 - Apr 25 by Antti_Heinola

Indeed...and I don't want to over-simplify...but I'd suggest that while his attitude was never less than exemplary, he was essentially a bit of a liability in 4 at the back, and an absolute lion in 3 at the back

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Ethan Laird on 11:45 - Apr 25 with 5051 viewsStevenageRanger

Ethan Laird on 10:48 - Apr 25 by ParkRoyalR

Very well put. I agree.
Ethan Laird on 11:50 - Apr 25 with 5029 viewsParkRoyalR

Ethan Laird on 11:05 - Apr 25 by gazza1

Well well well.....we agree PRR!!!

Gazza,

I'm taking that as a positive,
Amazing what a win can do for the spirit,

I must admit my unswerving faith in Dykes ability as a Championship striker was wavering in recent weeks but a couple of collectors items (early crosses) from Chair and my faith has been renewed!
Ethan Laird on 12:14 - Apr 25 with 4941 viewsQPROslo

I'd certainly play Laird if he's fit. Haven't understood the stick.
Ethan Laird on 13:02 - Apr 25 with 4732 viewsrobith

Ethan Laird on 10:25 - Apr 25 by GaryBannister86

I liked Barbet a lot and wasn't having a go at him, quite the opposite.

Have to say though that absence has made the heart grow fonder for you, surely? Yes, he could bang a long diagonal ball, but if I remember right quite a few...missed their target.

I would label Ray Wilkins an exceptional passer of the ball, not dear old Yoann :-)

Yeah he did love a Diag. But my point is Barbet was not some grafter who just worked hard and turned out. He was an intelligent player who threaded midfield and defence together through passing rather than positioning (i.e midfield didn't have to drop deep to receive the ball as they have done post Beale)

His ability to hold, recycle and play the ball forward has been sorely missing this year.

Compare and contrast that without him playing the out ball, Dickie and Dunne just endlessly recycled it between each other. His passing was a massive component of our relative successes in the seasons he was here. He averaged 0.4 key passes per game in his time here, Dunne and Dickie have 0.1 this season.

And adjectives for a football team below the top flight have to be relative, otherwise we'd have to classify everything we see as below average if we'd judged it on its absolutes
Ethan Laird on 13:21 - Apr 25 with 4626 viewsgazza1

Ethan Laird on 11:50 - Apr 25 by ParkRoyalR

Gazza,

I'm taking that as a positive,
Amazing what a win can do for the spirit,

I must admit my unswerving faith in Dykes ability as a Championship striker was wavering in recent weeks but a couple of collectors items (early crosses) from Chair and my faith has been renewed!

The boy has been doing much better, nice header indeed from a tidy cross at WBA, attacking the ball a lot better from defender clearances, he needs to control balls to his feet much better and get into goalscoring positions (like Martin did on Saturday) more often but its been better. His goal v Norwich was good enough too.

Sadly, a little bit to go for me to put him into a 'good player' category.
Ethan Laird on 13:46 - Apr 25 with 4519 viewsMrSheen

Ethan Laird on 13:02 - Apr 25 by robith

Yeah he did love a Diag. But my point is Barbet was not some grafter who just worked hard and turned out. He was an intelligent player who threaded midfield and defence together through passing rather than positioning (i.e midfield didn't have to drop deep to receive the ball as they have done post Beale)

His ability to hold, recycle and play the ball forward has been sorely missing this year.

Compare and contrast that without him playing the out ball, Dickie and Dunne just endlessly recycled it between each other. His passing was a massive component of our relative successes in the seasons he was here. He averaged 0.4 key passes per game in his time here, Dunne and Dickie have 0.1 this season.

And adjectives for a football team below the top flight have to be relative, otherwise we'd have to classify everything we see as below average if we'd judged it on its absolutes

I also really miss Barbet (and Dickie!) shooting from outside the box, got a few like that in the first half of last season.

On the subject of loan full backs, I missed the Norwich game and didn’t see any comments about MacCallum when he came on. Any news on his status at the end of this season. Also a bit injury prone…
Ethan Laird on 17:15 - Apr 25 with 4224 viewsRangersw12

One half decent 45 mins in 6 months and all is forgiven

No wonder these players have been taking the pss for so long when the fans standards are so low
[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 17:16]
Ethan Laird on 18:48 - Apr 25 with 4018 viewsStevenageRanger

Ethan Laird on 17:15 - Apr 25 by Rangersw12

One half decent 45 mins in 6 months and all is forgiven

No wonder these players have been taking the pss for so long when the fans standards are so low
[Post edited 25 Apr 2023 17:16]

I dont agree that he has had one good half in 6 months!

In fact just looked up the season ratings as voted by us on this forum. =5th best player of the season. (Could also argue that JCS comes out of that due to minimal games played)

1 Sam Field 46 6.18 4.13 8.19
2 Ilias Chair 40 6.09 4.20 8.71
3 Seny Dieng 46 6.01 2.75 9.14
4 Jake Clarke-Salter 15 5.92 4.29 7.26
5 Leon Balogun 16 5.90 3.38 8.08
6 Ethan Laird 31 5.90 2.87 7.90
7 Kenneth Paal 39 5.88 3.56 8.03
8 Jimmy Dunne 40 5.84 2.94 8.39
9 Lyndon Dykes 38 5.78 2.89 7.98
10 Sinclair Armstrong 24 5.69 3.54 7.21
Ethan Laird on 20:33 - Apr 25 with 3884 viewsgolborne

Ethan Laird on 18:48 - Apr 25 by StevenageRanger

I dont agree that he has had one good half in 6 months!

In fact just looked up the season ratings as voted by us on this forum. =5th best player of the season. (Could also argue that JCS comes out of that due to minimal games played)

1 Sam Field 46 6.18 4.13 8.19
2 Ilias Chair 40 6.09 4.20 8.71
3 Seny Dieng 46 6.01 2.75 9.14
4 Jake Clarke-Salter 15 5.92 4.29 7.26
5 Leon Balogun 16 5.90 3.38 8.08
6 Ethan Laird 31 5.90 2.87 7.90
7 Kenneth Paal 39 5.88 3.56 8.03
8 Jimmy Dunne 40 5.84 2.94 8.39
9 Lyndon Dykes 38 5.78 2.89 7.98
10 Sinclair Armstrong 24 5.69 3.54 7.21

Wasting your breath with some of these. I think every player out there has looked lost at times, but I’ve never felt for one minute that they haven’t been trying. Some folk drove that narrative and before you knew it the sheep went baa. Simply put, injuries (real ones, not babies sulking refusing to play, another pathetic narrative) have shaped our season. Our leaders in recent seasons have been the players that get us up the park and put real pressure on the oppo, giving the midfield and defence a rest. We lost those players one after another leading to us being currently under the kosh. Made worse by lengthy, or ongoing injuries to our best centre backs and full back. A toxic mix of bad luck, not attitude.
Ethan Laird on 20:50 - Apr 25 with 3850 viewsKildarePete

Ethan Laird on 13:46 - Apr 25 by MrSheen

I also really miss Barbet (and Dickie!) shooting from outside the box, got a few like that in the first half of last season.

On the subject of loan full backs, I missed the Norwich game and didn’t see any comments about MacCallum when he came on. Any news on his status at the end of this season. Also a bit injury prone…

Another great characteristic of Barbet, is that he hardly ever got injured and was a constant presence. The current backline are constantly being rotated due to injuries and knocks.
Ethan Laird on 21:44 - Apr 25 with 3753 viewsLazyFan

Laird is useful going forward and also defending. However, he can be caught too far forward and this is how we get done on the oppo breakaway that cuts right through us.

Against Burnley it was clear like the rest of the team he was told to stay back and defend. Then he looked very good indeed.

So, I would say he should defend first and stay back more, rather than go forward so much as an overlapping wingback. If he does that, then I think it works when he plays at RB, otherwise its risky and we are too open.

zzzzzzzzzz

Ethan Laird on 02:28 - Apr 26 with 3572 viewsSydneyRs

A lot of the stick for Laird and others has come from social media keyboard warriors looking for a scapegoat. Favourite of course is the "DoF". Hoos is also up there and when it gets to players Laird, Willock, Dickie, Johansen and others have all featured in recent stories about what people think (or want others to think, or pretend to know) is going on.

its never going to be a happy workplace when we are losing all the time so no doubt there have been "words" between people in the club I'm sure. The timing of Ainsworth coming in with a very different approach also would have created unrest.

Hopefully Saturday's brilliant result may galvanise us a bit and perhaps they are getting used to Ainsworth, who is a great person but also as Clive so eloquently put it has the appearance of a "walking mid life crisis" which no doubt led to some scepticism in the squad on his arrival.

If Drewe is injured then the decision makes itself, but clearly Laird is the more talented player of the two. Teams actively target Drewe when he plays.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024