Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SAF to Retire? 04:51 - May 8 with 14216 viewsade_qpr

LONDON (AFP) - Alex Ferguson could be about to sensationally retire as manager of English Premier League giants Manchester United, according to British media reports on Tuesday.

The Daily Telegraph claimed the 71-year-old Scot was "giving serious consideration" to leaving Old Trafford and could announce his retirement before the end of the week.

The newspaper did not cite sources but said that "senior figures" at the club could not be contacted to either confirm or deny the information.

British bookmakers reported a rush of bets on Everton manager David Moyes to become Ferguson's successor. Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has also been linked with the position in the past.

Ferguson has been at United since November 1986 and is the most successful manager in the history of English football.

In his 26-and-a-half-year reign, he has led the club from the English northwest to 13 Premier League titles, five FA Cups, four League Cups, and two Champions League titles, as well as a host of other honours.

United claimed an unprecedented 20th English league title last month, having narrowly lost out to local rivals Manchester City the previous season.

During Ferguson's tenure, United have become one of the most famous teams in world sport, with American business magazine Forbes recently reporting that they are worth $3.17 billion (2.42 billion euros).

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/news/article/-/17062323/ferguson-considering

Any news from the English press or another piss in the wind report?

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

SAF to Retire? on 12:48 - May 8 with 2336 viewsJamie

SAF to Retire? on 12:18 - May 8 by daveB

not really true, when he took over United were a top 8 side at best winning the odd cup, similar to Liverpool now. He has had plenty of money to spend but he also built teams with young English players and built around 5 fantastic teams. I know not many like him but as a manager he is the best ever and deserves immense respect for staying at the top for so long

Whilst Ferguson has been undeniably brilliant and done some very astute business over the years, he was also incredibly fortunate to have a young group come through of the Neville's, Butt, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham at the same time and give them great service.
SAF to Retire? on 12:48 - May 8 with 2337 viewsdaveB

I knew he's retire after the Madrid game, he lost the plot that night raging at the ref and that was obviously his last chance to win the Champions League
SAF to Retire? on 12:52 - May 8 with 2322 viewswombat

SAF to Retire? on 12:48 - May 8 by daveB

I knew he's retire after the Madrid game, he lost the plot that night raging at the ref and that was obviously his last chance to win the Champions League

god I hope its jose who takes the job , the chelski fans would implode

Poll: which is your favouite foot

SAF to Retire? on 12:57 - May 8 with 2303 viewsClive_Anderson

It might do Man Utd fans a favour not winning the title every year for a while. They almost seemed not bothered when they won it this year.
SAF to Retire? on 13:03 - May 8 with 2288 viewsessextaxiboy

SAF to Retire? on 12:48 - May 8 by Jamie

Whilst Ferguson has been undeniably brilliant and done some very astute business over the years, he was also incredibly fortunate to have a young group come through of the Neville's, Butt, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham at the same time and give them great service.

He set the scouting and youth system up . You reap what you sew.
SAF to Retire? on 13:05 - May 8 with 2275 viewsNorthernr

I've always been of the opinion that it would be best to replace the man who replaces Ferguson at Man Utd. It's an impossible act to follow, made harder by him remaining at the club in some upstairs role or other. Probably only Mourinho could cope with it, and that would have the added hilarity of Chelsea thinking he was going there. I hope Moyes doesn't go there because I like Moyes and would now have to hate him if he did.
SAF to Retire? on 13:08 - May 8 with 2263 viewsessextaxiboy

Wigan go down

Moyes to Utd

Martinez to Everton

Hughes to Wigan

Roll on next season !! I will be in South Africa Rd waiting for that Bstard
SAF to Retire? on 13:09 - May 8 with 2260 viewsdaveB

SAF to Retire? on 12:48 - May 8 by Jamie

not fortunate at all, he put all that in place and played a huge role in Beckham signing, it didn't happen by accident
Login to get fewer ads

SAF to Retire? on 13:12 - May 8 with 2245 viewsCamberleyR

SAF to Retire? on 13:05 - May 8 by Northernr

I've always been of the opinion that it would be best to replace the man who replaces Ferguson at Man Utd. It's an impossible act to follow, made harder by him remaining at the club in some upstairs role or other. Probably only Mourinho could cope with it, and that would have the added hilarity of Chelsea thinking he was going there. I hope Moyes doesn't go there because I like Moyes and would now have to hate him if he did.

Similar to the scenario when Matt Busby "moved upstairs" and Wilf McGuinness took over. He only lasted 18 months as did Frank O'Farrell as Busby was still casting his shadow over the club as a director.

United were relegated five years after Busby retired. We can but dream...

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

SAF to Retire? on 13:15 - May 8 with 2229 viewsClive_Anderson

SAF to Retire? on 13:09 - May 8 by daveB

not fortunate at all, he put all that in place and played a huge role in Beckham signing, it didn't happen by accident

Also plenty of teams have good youth prospects that come to nothing if they aren't nurtured correctly. Chelsea have had loads of highly rated young players but none have made the breakthrough for years.

Players who are quite technically limited have done amazingly well for Man Utd over the years, the Neville brothers, Butt, Fletcher, Cleverly, Evans, Brown, O'Shea etc. As soon as they're sold you realise how average most of them are.
SAF to Retire? on 13:17 - May 8 with 2224 viewsessextaxiboy

SAF to Retire? on 13:15 - May 8 by Clive_Anderson

Also plenty of teams have good youth prospects that come to nothing if they aren't nurtured correctly. Chelsea have had loads of highly rated young players but none have made the breakthrough for years.

Players who are quite technically limited have done amazingly well for Man Utd over the years, the Neville brothers, Butt, Fletcher, Cleverly, Evans, Brown, O'Shea etc. As soon as they're sold you realise how average most of them are.

Not to mention a certain Korean
SAF to Retire? on 13:18 - May 8 with 2221 viewsbob566

SAF to Retire? on 13:09 - May 8 by daveB

exactly. He was a top top manager. Loathsome for sure but a brilliant manager.

Has always brought youth through the club as well as established players.
SAF to Retire? on 13:19 - May 8 with 2216 viewsClive_Anderson

SAF to Retire? on 13:17 - May 8 by essextaxiboy

Not to mention a certain Korean

Yes I couldn't bring myself to mention him.
SAF to Retire? on 13:32 - May 8 with 2184 viewsJAPRANGERS

New mangler just announced:

SAF to Retire? on 13:33 - May 8 with 2180 viewsMonahoop

I was wrong earlier. To be honest I'm surprised that he has gone at the end of this season. I thought he had a couple more seasons in him, then what do I know? It's unlikely we will see another manager of his ilk in English football again or at least for a very long time. Despite his faults, I take my hat off to him. Utd will do well in the future to hold onto a manager as long as SAF.

Irish radio has been in Fergie meltdown this morning. Loads of folk phoning in,90% of them plastics not knowing too much about the club apart from winning things or failing to name any suitable replacements as they don't know of anyone else.

Talking of replacements, Darren Ferguson is sure to go from Peterborough soon. Why not keep it in the family like the Cloughs at Derby? [wink Whoever takes over, will have a hell of a job to fill Fergie Snr's shoes and expectations at Old Trafford to continue to succeed will be ruthless as well as high.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

SAF to Retire? on 13:36 - May 8 with 2164 viewsClive_Anderson

Imagine the number of titles Chelsea would have won without Ferguson. Ugh.
SAF to Retire? on 13:39 - May 8 with 2153 viewsessextaxiboy

SAF to Retire? on 13:32 - May 8 by JAPRANGERS

New mangler just announced:

Watchoo talkin bout Willis?
SAF to Retire? on 13:40 - May 8 with 2149 viewsSuffolkHoop

I should have known, Championship Manager 2001/02 did warn me it'd happen this year.
SAF to Retire? on 13:41 - May 8 with 2146 viewsPinnerPaul

SAF to Retire? on 13:05 - May 8 by Northernr

All the money now for Moyes, he is now 1/5 in most places
SAF to Retire? on 13:48 - May 8 with 2122 viewsJamie

SAF to Retire? on 13:41 - May 8 by PinnerPaul

All the money now for Moyes, he is now 1/5 in most places

Definitely Moyes.

Huge gamble.
SAF to Retire? on 13:58 - May 8 with 2095 viewsHayesender

Heartbreak in the Mark Hughes household as he leaps up to answer his mobile phone only to be asked if he's ever been mis-sold PPI!!

Poll: Shamima Beghum

SAF to Retire? on 14:00 - May 8 with 2088 viewsClive_Anderson

SAF to Retire? on 13:58 - May 8 by Hayesender

Heartbreak in the Mark Hughes household as he leaps up to answer his mobile phone only to be asked if he's ever been mis-sold PPI!!

I can imagine him marching up to the gates at Old Trafford with his Welsh entorage behind him telling the receptionist that he is there to interview the club about the vacant managers position.
SAF to Retire? on 14:02 - May 8 with 2085 viewsRANGERS4EVER

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/130508/david-moye

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

SAF to Retire? on 16:48 - May 8 with 2007 viewsQPR_John

SAF to Retire? on 07:10 - May 8 by Gloucs_R

Far from it. He's the greatest manager there will ever be. An out and out winner. Total respect for the guy.

Not to mention the ability to bend the rules but also to be praised for so doing
SAF to Retire? on 17:12 - May 8 with 1980 viewsJuzzie

SAF's first win for Man Utd (in his third game) was against QPR. 1-0 at Old Trafford in November 1986. John Terry was the match-day mascot in full kit.

OK, that last bit was made up.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024