Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The U'sual census 10:37 - Jun 25 with 3340 viewsLeadbelly

I recall many moons ago we had a discussion regarding boarders occupation(s) but I don't think we've covered where we are from, where we are now and why we are U's fans. I'm sure there some much more interesting tales than mine but I'll kick it off.

Born - Colchester 1966
Live - Lawford
U's fan since - First season back in the league I believe. Fruitbat can probably confirm as he has a better memory than me and it was at his suggestion that I went to Layer Rd.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The U'sual census on 16:21 - Jun 25 with 2626 viewsnoah4x4

Born a Kidderminster Harriers fan 1954.
Played for youth team.
Married into Villa stable 1974 -Divorced
Married into Liverpool stable - Divorced
Arrived Layer Road a Bristol City fan - Divorced
Now happily married #3.
Now Colchester for ever.
Current location Heathrow off on holiday
Home Colchester
The U'sual census on 16:51 - Jun 25 with 2602 viewsBluenWightExile

Nice thread Whalers

Born Castle Hedingham 1955
U's fan from 6 - no other though lots of non lg loyalty wherever I am living at the time [Tiverton, AFC Penzance, Oxford, Alderney, Maidstone Utd, Newpoty IoW]
Married divorced married separated trying again...very weary n old!
Still Colchester United no other
Now living near Ventnor Isle of Wight
Artist

Pinault-noir

The U'sual census on 18:22 - Jun 25 with 2604 viewsFruitbat

Born in the old Maternity Hospital in Lexden Road.now resident in the sticks a few miles out of town in the same couple of mile diameter circle where i've lived for all bar about 5 years. I'm a country boy (at least I think thats what they said) and I don't go far.

Us fan since my dad took me to LR for the first time. Those who were there will remember the game - Swindon, rain, abandoned in the second half. I think it was January 1976 which would have made me 8 (and a half - halves were important in those days).

I reckon Whalers is right and his would have been that season certainly McD was still in charge so it wouldn't be much later.
The U'sual census on 18:24 - Jun 25 with 2598 viewswessex_exile

Born - Basildon 1962
Bought up - Greenstead from '64
Live - Warminster (via Bradford for 9 years, followed by Salisbury for 16 years)
First U's game - August 1970, regular supporter from '73; never divorced but did have a brief fling with Bradford City during the post-fire 80s (but only when I couldn't get to U's games)
Occupation - Archaeologist (RIP Mick Aston )

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The U'sual census on 22:16 - Jun 25 with 2589 viewsburnsieespana

Born Holland on sea 1946.
U's fan since Boxing Day 1956. Only ever supported Col U but follow Spurs and among lower league sides Maidenhead United.
In sales all my working life.
Two children and two grandchildren.
Two ex wife's and a currant partner of 18 year's!
Now living in Spain and just got a job down here advising expats on finances.
Apart from following Col U am Social Secretary of our local Royal British Legion Branch.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
The U'sual census on 23:12 - Jun 25 with 2584 viewsdurham_exile

Born Enfield 1956
Supported Enfield from age 6 in Isthmian League (one of the top non league sides ever)
then Chelsea (Peter Osgood, say no more) and stood at the Shed End
then in 1971 saw the light and have supported Colchester ever since
Married for 32 years - Anniversary 27 June
2 children eldest supports Man U, youngest Liverpool, but both watch Colchester with me occasionally.
Have lived in London, Braintree, Andover, Telford and now near Barnard Castle Durham - hence Durham Exile
Civil Servant
One of the earliest Colchester games at Layer Road that I remember was a 2-0 defeat to Gillingham and Brian Yeo scored twice in front of 10,002

Have a feeling that this year is going to be a bit special for Col U,

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The U'sual census on 23:28 - Jun 25 with 2583 viewscarruthers

I think I have said this before over the years.
Born Wolverhampton 1943
Moved to Colchester after the war, my dad had a pub in Essex Street/Butt Road. Then to layer de la Haye
First U's game early 50s.
Back to the midlands for a few years.
Back to Essex, Chelmsford area
Worked in the Essex Record Office at County Hall for many years, I could read all the old newspapers and reports on U's games, loved it there, then to Havering Council in Romford, then retirement.
As a matter of interest my youngest brother is an archaeologist as is his American wife and he did a Time Team some years ago.
Ho hum
The U'sual census on 23:33 - Jun 25 with 2580 viewsdurham_exile

The U'sual census on 18:22 - Jun 25 by Fruitbat

Born in the old Maternity Hospital in Lexden Road.now resident in the sticks a few miles out of town in the same couple of mile diameter circle where i've lived for all bar about 5 years. I'm a country boy (at least I think thats what they said) and I don't go far.

Us fan since my dad took me to LR for the first time. Those who were there will remember the game - Swindon, rain, abandoned in the second half. I think it was January 1976 which would have made me 8 (and a half - halves were important in those days).

I reckon Whalers is right and his would have been that season certainly McD was still in charge so it wouldn't be much later.

Fruitbat, I remember that Swindon game, we were 3-0 up when it was abandoned but we won the replay 2-0.

Once at Wrexham many years ago we were winning when a thunderstorm came and the players went off eventually lost 3-2!

Happy days

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

The U'sual census on 12:52 - Jun 26 with 2559 viewsDaniel

Born over enemy lines (in Suffolk) in 1981.
First team was Spurs in the Lineker and Gazza era.
First ColU game was the FA Trophy Final in 1992.
First Layer Road game was in early 1994.
Became a regular from 1996 onwards and haven't missed home game since 1999.
Moved to Colchester in 2005, spent 3 year living on Layer Road and now live in Mile End.
Work in Local Government.
Got married just over a couple of weeks ago and still 'follow' Spurs.
The U'sual census on 23:25 - Jun 26 with 2530 viewsHellasblue

Born in Hertfordshire, 1966.

Have lived in Saffron Walden for 8 years, so am adopted Essex!

Followed Man U home and away from childhood until disillusioned around '90 ... Col U escaping relegation kind of sowed a strange seed and was soon at the Layer (travelling 60 miles each way on my race-styled motorbike - not good for the posterior!), watching very dubious fayre but I loved it. Went to Wembley in '92 against Witton Albion and still attend occasionally (always at Stevenage, as swap banter between the stands with my best friend who is a Boro season ticket holder).

Currently reading English at the Open University.

The U'sual census on 23:29 - Jun 26 with 2526 viewsjonestones

Born - Buckinghamshire 1975 and no I wasn't born in High Wycombe.
Live - Colchester (Moved here when I was a toddler. Not on my own obviously!)
U's fan since - 1984. First game I really member is Wolves in the play offs when we lost 0-2. I remember the players used to do this funny group hug thing at corners and then run in all directions when the ball was kicked. First home and away game Sheffield United FA CUP. 3-3 and 0-2. The 3-3 game was blinding; Hetze, Hill and Hicks got the goals and I waved my blow up crocodile a lot! I was still only a kid! Best games: Col U beating Wycombe 5-2 away and losing to sarfend in the autowindscreen semi final. First time we'd played them in years and the atmosphere was cracking, shame we lost though.
The U'sual census on 23:32 - Jun 26 with 2525 viewsjonestones

The U'sual census on 23:12 - Jun 25 by durham_exile

Born Enfield 1956
Supported Enfield from age 6 in Isthmian League (one of the top non league sides ever)
then Chelsea (Peter Osgood, say no more) and stood at the Shed End
then in 1971 saw the light and have supported Colchester ever since
Married for 32 years - Anniversary 27 June
2 children eldest supports Man U, youngest Liverpool, but both watch Colchester with me occasionally.
Have lived in London, Braintree, Andover, Telford and now near Barnard Castle Durham - hence Durham Exile
Civil Servant
One of the earliest Colchester games at Layer Road that I remember was a 2-0 defeat to Gillingham and Brian Yeo scored twice in front of 10,002

Have a feeling that this year is going to be a bit special for Col U,

Up the U's

10,000 fans in Layer Road must have been a blinding atmosphere.
The U'sual census on 00:16 - Jun 27 with 2522 viewsBarsidepete

The U'sual census on 12:52 - Jun 26 by Daniel

Born over enemy lines (in Suffolk) in 1981.
First team was Spurs in the Lineker and Gazza era.
First ColU game was the FA Trophy Final in 1992.
First Layer Road game was in early 1994.
Became a regular from 1996 onwards and haven't missed home game since 1999.
Moved to Colchester in 2005, spent 3 year living on Layer Road and now live in Mile End.
Work in Local Government.
Got married just over a couple of weeks ago and still 'follow' Spurs.

Born in 1964 near Ostrava, then still Czechoslovakia but now eastern Czech Republic near Poland, a coal mining town.
First team was SpVgg Furth, Germany, the four leaf clovers;D
First ColU game was a draw v Huddersfield the day the Wessie opened.
First Layer Road, only in spirit, hence Barsidepete.
Became a regular from the moment ColU defeated Ippie 1-0 at Layer Road that September... broadcast live in the US. I fell in love with Colchester that day, no other way to say it:)
Work in a state artistic hopefulness. Published an award winning magazine based in San Francisco for a decade in the 90s.. New mag will launch, London-based, yes, London-based late September, early October of this year:D
Got married a few times and keeping the faith for better days, 49yo and into the 50s, single but have a hopeful eye on a bird, just saying

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

The U'sual census on 10:13 - Jun 27 with 2506 viewsgerry_us

Born Tollesbury '46
First match taken by my uncle in a scooter and sidecar '56 against "who knows", been a supporter ever since.
Went to the Gilberd
Lived in an around Colchester, then Kent and Notts and Chesterfield for 15 year before moving to the USA 05-09 while the U's were in the Championship (brilliant planning!). Now retired and live near Louth in Lincolnshire, near to the seaside.
Yep Barside. I remember the U's v Ipswich match (1-0) very well as my youngest daughter was visiting us in Minneapolis and we had taken her to the Brit Pub downtown for lunch where they were showing the match live. My wife and daughter actually decided to go shopping during the second half; something about me shouting at a television screen they said??
Attended THE Leeds match with my wife (and soon to be born first daughter) and 15,998 others.
Also had the pleasure of three visits to Wembley with the U's and the unfortunate short visit "non" league.
Not a bad return for your local albeit unfashionable team.
Just miss Layer Road really and the wobbly terracing at the clock end.
The U'sual census on 11:15 - Jun 27 with 2502 viewsLeadbelly

The U'sual census on 10:13 - Jun 27 by gerry_us

Born Tollesbury '46
First match taken by my uncle in a scooter and sidecar '56 against "who knows", been a supporter ever since.
Went to the Gilberd
Lived in an around Colchester, then Kent and Notts and Chesterfield for 15 year before moving to the USA 05-09 while the U's were in the Championship (brilliant planning!). Now retired and live near Louth in Lincolnshire, near to the seaside.
Yep Barside. I remember the U's v Ipswich match (1-0) very well as my youngest daughter was visiting us in Minneapolis and we had taken her to the Brit Pub downtown for lunch where they were showing the match live. My wife and daughter actually decided to go shopping during the second half; something about me shouting at a television screen they said??
Attended THE Leeds match with my wife (and soon to be born first daughter) and 15,998 others.
Also had the pleasure of three visits to Wembley with the U's and the unfortunate short visit "non" league.

An old Gilberdian? Wessex and me also. '77 to '84 in my case.

The U'sual census on 12:33 - Jun 27 with 2499 viewsgerry_us

The U'sual census on 11:15 - Jun 27 by Leadbelly

An old Gilberdian? Wessex and me also. '77 to '84 in my case.

You are youngsters then eh? I was at Gilberd (had only then just been renamed from North East Essex Technical College) from '58-'62. Proud to wear the "plucked turkey" on my blazer pocket.
Didn't know Wessex also hailed from the same "super" school. Must discuss it with him when I see him next at a game.
The U'sual census on 12:40 - Jun 27 with 2496 viewsLeadbelly

The U'sual census on 12:33 - Jun 27 by gerry_us

You are youngsters then eh? I was at Gilberd (had only then just been renamed from North East Essex Technical College) from '58-'62. Proud to wear the "plucked turkey" on my blazer pocket.
Didn't know Wessex also hailed from the same "super" school. Must discuss it with him when I see him next at a game.

I don't feel especailly young anymore but I suppose it depends on your perspective.

Coincidentally, my dad left North East Essex Technical College in 1958.

The U'sual census on 13:54 - Jun 27 with 2495 viewsAFCMorant

Born Colchester 1959.
Live Hertfordshire
School - see username
University - Queen Mary College London
First U's game 1968
Used to have a second team Spurs, my dad was a fan, but was cured of that in the mid 80's.
The U'sual census on 14:49 - Jun 27 with 2489 viewsburnsieespana

Funny how Spurs figure on here a few times as "second team" but maybe got something to do with our age profile as they were all conquering when I grew up!
The U'sual census on 16:30 - Jun 27 with 2480 viewsLeadbelly

The U'sual census on 14:49 - Jun 27 by burnsieespana

Funny how Spurs figure on here a few times as "second team" but maybe got something to do with our age profile as they were all conquering when I grew up!

I know a few U's fans with Arsenal as a 2nd team. Equally, there are quite a few that count Leeds Utd as their 2nd team(or 1st in some cases) Again, probably something to do with being a certain age.

No doubt 25 years from now those using this board will have a soft spot for ManUre or Chelsea.

The U'sual census on 17:06 - Jun 27 with 2474 viewscarruthers

I know I keep repeating myself but in the early fifties before floodlights kick off could be 2.15 and my dad used to close his pub Saturday lunchtime in time for the game. 'Time gentlemen please' he used to shout out, and everyone would finish their drinks and then all the customers in the pub would walk up to Layer Road mob handed with me trailing along.
Then he opened the pub again about six pm and it would be all about the match, the Green'un would be delivered and everyone [including me] would want to see it.
The U'sual census on 18:12 - Jun 27 with 2463 viewsburnsieespana

Fond memories of the days when the Green Un could be collected from the paper shop around 8pm on the saturday evening!
The U'sual census on 18:30 - Jun 27 with 2460 viewswessex_exile

The U'sual census on 12:33 - Jun 27 by gerry_us

Yup, me too - and if he'll forgive me for divulging, TOOT as well. I was '73-'79, so a brief overlap with Whales. However, you Gerry old chap left the year I was born

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The U'sual census on 20:53 - Jun 29 with 2410 viewspancab77

Born in Bristol in 1957
Lived in Maldon,I@@@@@t twice,Little Bentley,Clacton,Elmstead,Parsons Heath and currently Prettygate.
School,Great Bentley then Landermere(walkthrough the farmyard to find the football pitch.
Married in 1984,Jayne.
Vicky 28,Ashley 25
A new Grandad.
Supported the U's since the early 70's
0-0 home to Carlisle
Love the U's..Always loved an underdog,.!

eyeing a league and cup double

The U'sual census on 20:55 - Jun 29 with 2409 viewsDuddles

The U'sual census on 10:13 - Jun 27 by gerry_us

Born Tollesbury '46
Went to the Gilberd

Gerry US - Also born 1946 in Tollesbury. We must have known each other - and I will guarantee our Mums did.

You didn't beat me into second place in the under 4's race at the Rec in 1950 did you? That still hurts.

My uncle used to take us about in his motor bike and sidecar too....

Be interested to know who you/we really are....

Later lived in Darcy and Layer Breton, started school at Birch before moving to Isle of Man in 1952.

First game 1961 at Layer Road vs Accrington Stanley.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024