Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who will we need in the Championship? 15:54 - May 9 with 2462 viewssaint901

If the players I expect to leave, actually do go, we are going to need to replace them.

In my head,

A goalkeeper. - Both are keepers are in poor form and would not make a first team.

Right back - I'm hoping Tino stays and rebuilds his career.
CB #1 Caleta Car
CB #2 Bednarek
Left back - Perraud

Midfield 4 - it's a risk but I think we'll need a completely new midfield. JWP/Lavia nailed on to leave. SA probably going. Walcott - should be moved out. Ely out of contract and not in favour. Probably need an enforcer (sorry - defensive mid) a winger and a number 10.

Up front - Tall Paul although not really seen enough of him, he's big and will be a handful. Onachue as well is quick and would be useful. AA? Probably his standard. I think Che will go and we will need a proven Champ goal scorer or two.
Who will we need in the Championship? on 17:38 - May 9 with 2393 viewsonedannywallace

Would like Lyanco to stay at CB. Obviously would like Walker-Peters but he probably won't stay

What about Will Smallbone in midfield? Think we will also need a Romeu-type character

Sulemana on the wing + Stuart Armstrong can still do a job + Edozie

Not convinced about Tall Paul fitting into the system. Not convinced about AA as a goalscorer at any level

So we need a new GK, new striker (proper number 9 like Sam Gallagher) and midfield enforcer.
Who will we need in the Championship? on 18:39 - May 9 with 2345 viewsUTS1885

I really wouldnt keep many players, maybe Alcaraz.

We need leaders, goalscorers and a captain.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 18:39]
Who will we need in the Championship? on 13:12 - May 10 with 2221 viewsdwayne_dibley

[Post edited 11 May 2023 11:11]

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Who will we need in the Championship? on 17:03 - May 10 with 2147 viewsDorsetIan

When you think of how badly this season has gone and how little fight the team has been able to muster, you’ve got to think that it is going to take one hell of a manager to turn this around quickly, even at the next level down.

The players who aren’t sold will all be low on confidence and trying to mould them into a team with incomers will not be easy.

Additionally, got to assume that the ‘play book’ will be out of the window, so everyone will have t learn a new system.

We will need some players who are feeling positive - Smallbone and Tella would fit that bill. And we will need to make better signing than we have in recent years.

I just can’t see us hitting the ground running next season. Maybe by Christmas we’ll have built a bit of momentum.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Who will we need in the Championship? on 17:41 - May 10 with 2126 views1885_SFC

Let's not forget that Nathan Tella will, presumably, be back in a Saints shirt in time for the new season?

Old School is Cool

Who will we need in the Championship? on 09:37 - May 11 with 2030 viewssaint901

Who will we need in the Championship? on 17:41 - May 10 by 1885_SFC

Let's not forget that Nathan Tella will, presumably, be back in a Saints shirt in time for the new season?

I would be surprised if he is.

He's had a great season getting Burnley promoted and as a reward stays in the Championship?

Don't think that will sit well with him if he has any ambition. More likely to stay at Burnley.
Who will we need in the Championship? on 11:30 - May 11 with 1943 viewsdirk_doone

We need the approach that Cortese had. He was a pragmatist, not an idealist. First he analysed what the most successful teams were doing, down to every last detail, then tried to emulate it as much as possible. What we don't need is what the new owners have been doing thus far: coming in with their own unproven ideas and then trying to put them into practice.

So, it's probably best to start with the last half dozen champions of the Championship and analyse what the common factors were that led to their success. Then we'll know what we need to do.

Season. Team. Manager. Top Scorer. Goalkeeper

2022/23 Burnley. Vincent Kompany. Nathan Tella. Arijanet Muric
2021/22 Fulham. Marco Silva. Aleksandar Mitrović. Marek Rodák
2020/21 Norwich. Daniel Farke. Teemu Pukki. Tim Krul
2019/20 Leeds. Marcelo Bielsa. Patrick Bamford. Kiko Casilla
2018/19 Norwich. Daniel Farke. Teemu Pukki. Tim Krul
2017/18 Wolves. Nuno Espirito Santo. Diogo Jota. John Ruddy

[Post edited 11 May 2023 16:38]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Who will we need in the Championship? on 11:40 - May 11 with 1927 viewssaints__fan__73

Walcott won't need to be 'moved on' He's out of contract like Elyuseless.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Login to get fewer ads

Who will we need in the Championship? on 12:58 - May 11 with 1891 views1885_SFC

Who will we need in the Championship? on 09:37 - May 11 by saint901

I would be surprised if he is.

He's had a great season getting Burnley promoted and as a reward stays in the Championship?

Don't think that will sit well with him if he has any ambition. More likely to stay at Burnley.

Well he'll only stay at Burnley if we let him stay at Burnley.

Old School is Cool

Who will we need in the Championship? on 12:44 - May 12 with 1773 viewsdwayne_dibley

we could try

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Who will we need in the Championship? on 15:15 - May 12 with 1712 viewsSpringhill_old_boy

Who will we need in the Championship? on 17:38 - May 9 by onedannywallace

Would like Lyanco to stay at CB. Obviously would like Walker-Peters but he probably won't stay

What about Will Smallbone in midfield? Think we will also need a Romeu-type character

Sulemana on the wing + Stuart Armstrong can still do a job + Edozie

Not convinced about Tall Paul fitting into the system. Not convinced about AA as a goalscorer at any level

So we need a new GK, new striker (proper number 9 like Sam Gallagher) and midfield enforcer.

Question .. you say that the big fella "won´t fit into the system" but surely the system is defined by the new coaching staff ?
What game system are you basing that observation on ? The system which was once built on a high aggressive press this season morphed into a disorganized pressing system which was easily beaten. Will it be the typical Mike Bassett formation of 44 bloody 2 or something more progressive? dare I say it a back 3/5 ?
Lyanco would probably be better at a defensive mid rather than a CB .. or a spare in a 3 which allows a 3 defender system to morph into a back 4.
Again it all depends on how the new guy wants to set up, hopefully they have already decided on the name and the candidate is watching the players to see if they have the skill set that will be needed, likewise I am sure (?) that the squad planning has already started with the players likely to be moving on identified and replacements already identified .. You may say that I am a dreamer but I am not the only one
Who will we need in the Championship? on 17:10 - May 12 with 1684 viewsIfonly

Who will we need in the Championship? on 15:15 - May 12 by Springhill_old_boy

Question .. you say that the big fella "won´t fit into the system" but surely the system is defined by the new coaching staff ?
What game system are you basing that observation on ? The system which was once built on a high aggressive press this season morphed into a disorganized pressing system which was easily beaten. Will it be the typical Mike Bassett formation of 44 bloody 2 or something more progressive? dare I say it a back 3/5 ?
Lyanco would probably be better at a defensive mid rather than a CB .. or a spare in a 3 which allows a 3 defender system to morph into a back 4.
Again it all depends on how the new guy wants to set up, hopefully they have already decided on the name and the candidate is watching the players to see if they have the skill set that will be needed, likewise I am sure (?) that the squad planning has already started with the players likely to be moving on identified and replacements already identified .. You may say that I am a dreamer but I am not the only one

Imagine we're in the championship
it isn't hard to do
no more fvckin plastic fans
and no VAR too

Agree with you about the system. It would be stupid to decide anything on player moves until the new guy has had a look at who he thinks fits.

Personally I hope we move away from the high press and our so called "identity". We've consistently failed to make it work for the majority of 2 seasons now. A low block would give us space to break in to and with pacy players like Sulemana we could do that well. Time to do to other teams what half the PL have been doing to us this season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024