Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR - Spain v Scotland 10:33 - Oct 13 with 2826 viewsPatfromPoole

Just seen this for the first time.

The game is dead.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 16:18 - Oct 13 with 2222 viewsLondonSaint76

Things will never improve until the VAR booths are staffed by ex-players and not more referees making far too many numbskull decisions that can directly affect the outcome of a game. Doubtless this will draw the inevitable -1 vote from SFC Referee which tells you all you need to know - they don’t do criticism, constructive as it may well be. With what has been going on in the Prem with VAR this season and now this I don’t think we are that far away from a situation where to bring this to a head it needs a players strike. That might sound quite OTT but having been involved at County FA level for many years and at FA level to a much lesser extent for about 15 years up to retirement a couple of seasons ago I can tell you that from what I have seen this would be what it would take to get any effective changes made to VAR. The sooner the better IMO as I am sick of it ruining games and ruining paying fans enjoyment of matches they go to see live. Rant over, soapbox packed away for another day…
[Post edited 13 Oct 2023 16:30]

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 16:27 - Oct 13 with 2215 viewsSouthamptonfan

It's ridiculous. The goal keeper wouldn't have saved that anyway. Get rid of VAR. It's spoiling the game. All those celebrations for nothing.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 16:34 - Oct 13 with 2207 viewsfelly1

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 16:27 - Oct 13 by Southamptonfan

It's ridiculous. The goal keeper wouldn't have saved that anyway. Get rid of VAR. It's spoiling the game. All those celebrations for nothing.

Agreed... Get rid.
Just accept the ref and lino's decisions end of.
They'll make loads of mistakes naturally.
Analysis in slow mo of every decision by VAR, pundits etc is killing the game.
If you can accept that sometimes it will go with or against you and just be chilled about it makes the football watching experience so much more enjoyable.
VAR - Spain v Scotland on 16:46 - Oct 13 with 2195 viewsSouthamptonfan

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 16:34 - Oct 13 by felly1

Agreed... Get rid.
Just accept the ref and lino's decisions end of.
They'll make loads of mistakes naturally.
Analysis in slow mo of every decision by VAR, pundits etc is killing the game.
If you can accept that sometimes it will go with or against you and just be chilled about it makes the football watching experience so much more enjoyable.

Yep definitely. VAR was never meant to be a forensic examination of every tiny detail of every decision. From a fans' prospective, it was supposed to help with major decisions that were wrong. But it's being used in a way which spoils the game and decisions are still wrong anyway. I agree with what you say. Let's have decisions going for and against you but without killing the game.

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 18:28 - Oct 14 with 1949 viewsSFC_Referee

Well by the end of the game UEFA were saying it was for an offside offence (which was correct tbf) and not the foul, although at first they did say it was for a foul.
So I’d be interested to see of whether this was a communication issue or if they just decided to change the reason behind it because one was fair whilst the other wasn’t gonna settle with anyone.

But still I dunno why people are so surprised, as this is what the games become now due to so many factors

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 18:33 - Oct 14 with 1947 viewsSFC_Referee

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 16:18 - Oct 13 by LondonSaint76

Things will never improve until the VAR booths are staffed by ex-players and not more referees making far too many numbskull decisions that can directly affect the outcome of a game. Doubtless this will draw the inevitable -1 vote from SFC Referee which tells you all you need to know - they don’t do criticism, constructive as it may well be. With what has been going on in the Prem with VAR this season and now this I don’t think we are that far away from a situation where to bring this to a head it needs a players strike. That might sound quite OTT but having been involved at County FA level for many years and at FA level to a much lesser extent for about 15 years up to retirement a couple of seasons ago I can tell you that from what I have seen this would be what it would take to get any effective changes made to VAR. The sooner the better IMO as I am sick of it ruining games and ruining paying fans enjoyment of matches they go to see live. Rant over, soapbox packed away for another day…
[Post edited 13 Oct 2023 16:30]

What, the same ex players that call themselves pundits, yet show week in week out of how very little they know around the LOTG? The same ones that have even less consistency that the current refs at the top? The same ones that have so many links to so many teams that there’d be ridiculous amounts of shouts and connections for biased officiating? Or simply the fact that for this to happen, you’d need loads of players to go away from the coaching/punditry roots with all the millions they can make from that, to start officiating in lower leagues and work their way up in a job where they’re consistently abused and yet only given like £30-40 to start off with…

As there’s a reason why no former star players have gone into officiating and why it’ll just never happen, and understandably so seeing how they wouldn’t help one bit and would just cause even more issues than their currently are
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 21:09]

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 18:59 - Oct 14 with 1938 viewsPatfromPoole

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 18:28 - Oct 14 by SFC_Referee

Well by the end of the game UEFA were saying it was for an offside offence (which was correct tbf) and not the foul, although at first they did say it was for a foul.
So I’d be interested to see of whether this was a communication issue or if they just decided to change the reason behind it because one was fair whilst the other wasn’t gonna settle with anyone.

But still I dunno why people are so surprised, as this is what the games become now due to so many factors

Didn’t look offside to me; looked level at worst.

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 19:22 - Oct 14 with 1924 viewsSFC_Referee

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 18:59 - Oct 14 by PatfromPoole

Didn’t look offside to me; looked level at worst.

He was offside, as even the Scottish commentator was saying that if it was given for a foul then he was furious yet if it was for an offside then he could understand that one, but why they originally said it was a foul and then changed it to offside is what I don’t get and I think many others are also quite confused by

Login to get fewer ads

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 21:06 - Oct 14 with 1883 viewsSouthamptonfan

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 19:22 - Oct 14 by SFC_Referee

He was offside, as even the Scottish commentator was saying that if it was given for a foul then he was furious yet if it was for an offside then he could understand that one, but why they originally said it was a foul and then changed it to offside is what I don’t get and I think many others are also quite confused by

It's spoiling the game. Offside by a toe nail when looked at in slow motion blah blah blah. It's spoiling our beautiful game. We want to see great goals, spontaneous celebrations and excitement. It's all being taken away.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 21:08]

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 21:10 - Oct 14 with 1868 viewsSFC_Referee

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 21:06 - Oct 14 by Southamptonfan

It's spoiling the game. Offside by a toe nail when looked at in slow motion blah blah blah. It's spoiling our beautiful game. We want to see great goals, spontaneous celebrations and excitement. It's all being taken away.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 21:08]

Ok but then where do you draw the line for an offside? As I can’t see any difference between this and the goal line decisions/ball in and outta play with VAR. And yet nobody complains about them, even though they rule out goals just the same as the offsides with VAR do

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 22:01 - Oct 14 with 1849 viewsPatfromPoole

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 21:10 - Oct 14 by SFC_Referee

Ok but then where do you draw the line for an offside? As I can’t see any difference between this and the goal line decisions/ball in and outta play with VAR. And yet nobody complains about them, even though they rule out goals just the same as the offsides with VAR do

Goal-line technology works though.

VAR was brought in because of the appalling standard of refereeing.

It has only made the officiating even worse.

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 22:42 - Oct 14 with 1830 viewsSouthamptonfan

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 21:10 - Oct 14 by SFC_Referee

You are offside if you are in front of the defenders when the ball is played, simple as that. The officials on the pitch should decide, just like before VAR was introduced. I think if it's very close, the benefit of the doubt should be given to the striker. It's stupid in my opinion, to be drawing lines that arn't accurate, to say that a toe nail is in front of the defender. If a player had a smaller foot, the line would be further back and it wouldn't be offside. It's ridiculous. Just go back to the way it was before.

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 22:49 - Oct 14 with 1827 viewsSFC_Referee

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 22:01 - Oct 14 by PatfromPoole

You say it’s an “appalling standard of officiating”, but is that not simply due to all the factors that have lead to this occurring? As is it not the young refs getting all of this…
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RefereeForumGroup/permalink/2242286382628661/
Which leads to us having such a lack of officials and contributes to what many see as the officials “not being good enough”?

But even then, if our best refs doing all the champions league games and international ones aren’t good enough, then what is? As I saw that today in the Wessex league a game had 6 red cards, 7 yellows and 2 sin bins, yet we’d never see anything like that at the top of the footballing pyramid. So is it really that the refs aren’t good enough, or rather that people expect too much of them? Especially if your gonna go on about it from before VAR was introduced.

As like I’ve said before, the major reasons why the standards of officiating aren’t as good as many expect, is because of the abuse at grassroots (like the post above highlights), all the players consistently cheating, the non stop changing of the LOTG, the media/pundits not knowing their LOTG themselves and consistently highlighting the negatives and never positives from the officials and lastly the fact that many just expect refs to be perfect 24.07, which will never happen in a sport with mainly opinionated decisions to make.
All of which makes it pretty understandable as to why referees might not be good enough for all the arrogant fans out there that seem to brush aside all these facts!

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 22:55 - Oct 14 with 1821 viewsSFC_Referee

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 22:42 - Oct 14 by Southamptonfan

You are offside if you are in front of the defenders when the ball is played, simple as that. The officials on the pitch should decide, just like before VAR was introduced. I think if it's very close, the benefit of the doubt should be given to the striker. It's stupid in my opinion, to be drawing lines that arn't accurate, to say that a toe nail is in front of the defender. If a player had a smaller foot, the line would be further back and it wouldn't be offside. It's ridiculous. Just go back to the way it was before.

But the lines are accurate, just the same as the ones determining if the ball crosses a line are.
And ok so we give the close decisions and the benefit of doubt to the attacker, but what classified as a doubtful decision?… 1 metre? 50 centimetres? As you’ve gotta have some sorta set number in place, otherwise you’ll just get inconsistency with when they do and don’t give the benefit of doubt to the attacker which will lead to even more issues.
And if you do give a set amount of leeway to those strikers, you’ll still have to draw a line and will still have toenail decisions, as offsides positions are black and white, and that will never be able to change.

So the only thing that can be changed is whether we use VAR or not for offsides, as if so it’ll be exactly how it is now, which other than the spurs and Liverpool game has been perfectly fine for LOTG on positioning (less so intervening with play), or we just don’t use VAR for offsides. But really they’re the only two options we’ve got

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 23:09 - Oct 14 with 1811 viewsSouthamptonfan

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 22:55 - Oct 14 by SFC_Referee

But the lines are accurate, just the same as the ones determining if the ball crosses a line are.
And ok so we give the close decisions and the benefit of doubt to the attacker, but what classified as a doubtful decision?… 1 metre? 50 centimetres? As you’ve gotta have some sorta set number in place, otherwise you’ll just get inconsistency with when they do and don’t give the benefit of doubt to the attacker which will lead to even more issues.
And if you do give a set amount of leeway to those strikers, you’ll still have to draw a line and will still have toenail decisions, as offsides positions are black and white, and that will never be able to change.

So the only thing that can be changed is whether we use VAR or not for offsides, as if so it’ll be exactly how it is now, which other than the spurs and Liverpool game has been perfectly fine for LOTG on positioning (less so intervening with play), or we just don’t use VAR for offsides. But really they’re the only two options we’ve got

What's the rule then on what constitutes offside. If a striker's arm is in front because he pointing, is that offside? If a player wears size 12 boots, and another player wears size 10 boots, the size boots are offside because he has bigger feet?

Why not just keep it simple. The officials on the pitch decide whether the player is.in front or not or.in line. It's not consistent with VAR anyway. Look at the recent Liverpool game.

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 00:11 - Oct 15 with 1783 views1885_SFC

VAR is bollocks and should be binned ASAP. How anyone can argue in its favour is beyond me. The morons that sit in a little room miles away from the action have, and are, ruining the beautiful game.

Adam Armstrong may well be offside when he scores in his next game. So we get lucky. Likewise, he'll probably be onside a week later - but the linesman will put his flag up and a perfectly good goal will be ruled out.

I can live with that. After all, by the law of averages, it'll even itself out over the course of a season. Comme ci comme ça.

Old School is Cool

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 00:33 - Oct 15 with 1775 viewsLondonSaint76

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 18:33 - Oct 14 by SFC_Referee

What, the same ex players that call themselves pundits, yet show week in week out of how very little they know around the LOTG? The same ones that have even less consistency that the current refs at the top? The same ones that have so many links to so many teams that there’d be ridiculous amounts of shouts and connections for biased officiating? Or simply the fact that for this to happen, you’d need loads of players to go away from the coaching/punditry roots with all the millions they can make from that, to start officiating in lower leagues and work their way up in a job where they’re consistently abused and yet only given like £30-40 to start off with…

As there’s a reason why no former star players have gone into officiating and why it’ll just never happen, and understandably so seeing how they wouldn’t help one bit and would just cause even more issues than their currently are
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 21:09]

Utter tosh - absolutely typical ‘blinkers on’ response from a referee when faced with criticism of their own kind. OK then mate, you and your little clan of buddies who are supposedly such experts on the Laws of the Game just carry on getting massive decisions WRONG almost every weekend with the help of multiple camera angles, slow-mo replays and freeze frame. Actually, on second thoughts you can stuff VAR where the sun fails to shine, as others have said on this thread, just scrap it because there’s more chance of platting fog than getting any of you to accept criticism, or getting any of you to see what VAR is doing to the game and to the people who pay good money to attend games, let alone accept any responsibility for it, you lot will never, ever learn and never, ever change.
Pathetic….

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 07:23 - Oct 15 with 1748 viewsTripleNiemi

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 16:27 - Oct 13 by Southamptonfan

A captain should simply gather the players and lead his team off the pitch now………

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 08:11 - Oct 15 with 1723 viewscocklebreath

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 22:55 - Oct 14 by SFC_Referee

They ain’t accurate mush, Ings v Villa, goal v Man U in the 0-9 both wrong don’t believe the lines

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 09:31 - Oct 15 with 1692 viewssaint22

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 22:01 - Oct 14 by PatfromPoole

This
It’s a clear lack of quality referees with common sense and so forth

VAR works the World Cup showed that
Those that operate it are the ones at fault

Offside should be gaining a clear advantage. A toe it isn’t, it should be a clear head, or limb
VAR - Spain v Scotland on 09:41 - Oct 15 with 1688 viewsBerber

Match officials have been making @rses of themselves since the game began. This may have been handled poorly, and VAR is just highlighting that some officials are just not anywhere near good enough to be doing the job. But in this case, offside is offside. How can allowing the goal be good for the game? Even Postecogleau thinks VAR is good for offside decisions.
VAR - Spain v Scotland on 16:30 - Oct 15 with 1582 viewssledger

dont know what the problem is he was fractionally offside,interfering with play and the var that many wanted pulled it up,all good by the letter of the rules.
VAR - Spain v Scotland on 21:44 - Oct 15 with 1532 viewsSFC_Referee

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 23:09 - Oct 14 by Southamptonfan

What's the rule then on what constitutes offside. If a striker's arm is in front because he pointing, is that offside? If a player wears size 12 boots, and another player wears size 10 boots, the size boots are offside because he has bigger feet?

Why not just keep it simple. The officials on the pitch decide whether the player is.in front or not or.in line. It's not consistent with VAR anyway. Look at the recent Liverpool game.

Ok but as much as many think they are, the arms aren’t looked at for offsides. And yeah the size of the boots could make the difference just the same as the size/thickness to the gloves make the difference between whether that ball crossed the line fully or not before the keeper tried saving it or not.

As look if you don’t think VAR should be used fullstop for offsides, then yeah that’s fair enough and something they may well decide to do, although I highly doubt that, as most refs see it as being used well for offside positioning before that scouser incident the other day, which you mention but tbf is about the only time it’s ever happened just the same as the one off goal line tech mistake we had happen. Both of which were major mistakes but has only ever happened once for each, which is why they’ve both been so talked about when they occurred.
But again if you think offsides shouldn’t be checked with VAR then that’s fair enough

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 21:54 - Oct 15 with 1530 viewsSFC_Referee

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 00:33 - Oct 15 by LondonSaint76

Utter tosh - absolutely typical ‘blinkers on’ response from a referee when faced with criticism of their own kind. OK then mate, you and your little clan of buddies who are supposedly such experts on the Laws of the Game just carry on getting massive decisions WRONG almost every weekend with the help of multiple camera angles, slow-mo replays and freeze frame. Actually, on second thoughts you can stuff VAR where the sun fails to shine, as others have said on this thread, just scrap it because there’s more chance of platting fog than getting any of you to accept criticism, or getting any of you to see what VAR is doing to the game and to the people who pay good money to attend games, let alone accept any responsibility for it, you lot will never, ever learn and never, ever change.
Pathetic….

And this is the exact sorta response you’d expect to hear from one of those vets Sunday league players that seem to think they can’t ever be wrong
As yeah VAR has made many mistakes, but as many clowns like yourselves and many ex players and footballing pundits have also shown, it’s not like you’d do that much better. As I’d probably say a third to a half of the VAR decisions that get criticised by the know it all’s like yourself are correct, but because many like yourself don’t know your LOTG it means that those refs and VAR decisions are still criticised even though they’ve made the correct decisions.

As at no point have I said VAR’s perfect or that it’s ridiculous to scrap it, as I can see points to both sides and understand why many what it gone whilst others want it to stay. As it’s got both pro’s and cons which different people have different opinions on, most of which are fair. But to suggest getting ex players to do it all, is just straight up stupid and for anyone who knows their refereeing stuff or even just basic LOTG (which I guess is why you did suggest it) wouldn’t even think no about it seeing how it would only make things even worse, and as shown by your response would have many issues, none of which you’ve managed to answer.

P.S you the sorta vets player to think that winning the ball means a foul can’t be given?
[Post edited 15 Oct 2023 22:01]

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 21:55 - Oct 15 with 1529 viewsSFC_Referee

VAR - Spain v Scotland on 08:11 - Oct 15 by cocklebreath

They ain’t accurate mush, Ings v Villa, goal v Man U in the 0-9 both wrong don’t believe the lines

Can’t remember the Villa one, but that Man U one was certainly a close one, but unfortunately it was a toenail decision where he was offside and was about the only controversial/close decision that day that was correct

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024