Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year 09:54 - Mar 4 with 2713 viewssaints__fan__73

They're great aint they!

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 10:32 - Mar 4 with 1721 viewsPatfromPoole

I dread to think what the loss will be for the 2023-24 financial year.

We really do need to get back up this season......

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 10:49 - Mar 4 with 1691 viewsSaintNick

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 10:32 - Mar 4 by PatfromPoole

I would suggest that having taken in somewhere around £180 million in transfer fees, whilst spending only around £20 million, then offloading some big wages in Alcaraz, Bella-Kotchap, Caleta-Car, Onauchu, Perraud and Lyanco, as well as seeing big earners such as Elyounoussi, & Walcottetc that we wont be too badly off

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:00 - Mar 4 with 1670 viewsPatfromPoole

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 10:49 - Mar 4 by SaintNick

I would suggest that having taken in somewhere around £180 million in transfer fees, whilst spending only around £20 million, then offloading some big wages in Alcaraz, Bella-Kotchap, Caleta-Car, Onauchu, Perraud and Lyanco, as well as seeing big earners such as Elyounoussi, & Walcottetc that we wont be too badly off

Nick

You do realise that the sum paid to a Championship club for each live game on SKY is peanuts, whereas in the Prem it is millions per game???

Factor in the loss of corporate income, sponsorship etc etc then it is going to be an absolute sh1tshow financially.

Do you really not think that we are still subsidising a big part of the wages of the likes of Onuachu and Bella-Kotchap???

We still have a big squad; the likes of Aribo are still on £70k a week.

There will be a firesale in the summer if we don't go up. I would expect KWP, Bednarek, Bella-Kotchap, Aribo, Perraud, Lyanco, Onuachu, Sulemana and Adam Armstrong to all be sold to anybody who will have them.

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:03 - Mar 4 with 1665 viewsButty101

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 10:49 - Mar 4 by SaintNick

We never took anywhere near 180mill.

Plus with the fees being paid over several years so expect heavy losses this year

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:13 - Mar 4 with 1643 viewsSaintNick

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:03 - Mar 4 by Butty101

We never took anywhere near 180mill.

Plus with the fees being paid over several years so expect heavy losses this year

Add it up and dont forget the £3 million here and there and it is not far off £180 million,

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:15 - Mar 4 with 1634 viewsgrumpy

No ones mentioned a certain Ross Stewart who joined us in September 2023,how much has that cost the club?
[Post edited 4 Mar 11:17]
Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:42 - Mar 4 with 1577 viewsPatfromPoole

The numbers are staggering.

It would have been the first full year of activity after COVID, with crowds back to normal levels. Yet turnover somehow dropped year-on-year by £5 million.

Judging by the interest charge in the P & L, debt is a real issue.

Solak must be getting rather concerned about this, to put it mildly.

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:48 - Mar 4 with 1565 viewsButty101

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:13 - Mar 4 by SaintNick

Add it up and dont forget the £3 million here and there and it is not far off £180 million,

More like 150mill. Sell on fees bring it right down, And we never sold Duje Ćaleta-Car it was a loan.

Bluepeter Transfer Totalizer by Butty101 3 Aug 2023 10:39
As you know we are easily going to bring in 150-200 Million this window. Its going to be close!

Out Going
Walcott - Free
Elyounoussi - Free
Caballero - Free
Diallo - £8mill
Mislav Oršić - £3.5Mill
Salisu - £17mill
Chaulke - £250k
Nlundulu - 250k
Ćaleta-Car - Loan
Tino - 25.5Mill
JWP - 30Mill
Lavia - 43mill
Tella - 20mill
Total £148 mill

Still to go Sulemana, Kwp, lyanco, Adams, Onuachu etc etc

Login to get fewer ads

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:54 - Mar 4 with 1549 viewssaints__fan__73

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:13 - Mar 4 by SaintNick

I can remember the days when your financial sensibilities were set off by a £4m over run on a building project.

Now we are losing hundreds of millions.

Oh how times have changed...

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:56 - Mar 4 with 1546 viewsButty101

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:00 - Mar 4 by PatfromPoole

Nick

You do realise that the sum paid to a Championship club for each live game on SKY is peanuts, whereas in the Prem it is millions per game???

Factor in the loss of corporate income, sponsorship etc etc then it is going to be an absolute sh1tshow financially.

Do you really not think that we are still subsidising a big part of the wages of the likes of Onuachu and Bella-Kotchap???

We still have a big squad; the likes of Aribo are still on £70k a week.

There will be a firesale in the summer if we don't go up. I would expect KWP, Bednarek, Bella-Kotchap, Aribo, Perraud, Lyanco, Onuachu, Sulemana and Adam Armstrong to all be sold to anybody who will have them.

Pat we couldnt sell that crap last summer, so what makes you think we will this summer?

Other than KWP i dont think we have any sellable assets. Most will end up on loan again.

Bella-Kotchap has pretty much ruined his career - PSV have loaned him to Jong PSV

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 12:18 - Mar 4 with 1524 viewsPatfromPoole

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 11:56 - Mar 4 by Butty101

Pat we couldnt sell that crap last summer, so what makes you think we will this summer?

Other than KWP i dont think we have any sellable assets. Most will end up on loan again.

Bella-Kotchap has pretty much ruined his career - PSV have loaned him to Jong PSV

I did say “to anybody who will have them” at the end…..

I share your pessimism on that front.

I wouldn’t pay ten bob for Sulemana, and he’s our record signing FFS.

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 12:31 - Mar 4 with 1515 viewsPatfromPoole

I am also wondering how much it cost to pay off Semmens.

He was on a fairly remunerative package, I believe.

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 12:46 - Mar 4 with 1476 viewsManhattan_Lynx

Are there any beancounters on here that can explain the double entry mechanics of transfers in and out?
Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 13:07 - Mar 4 with 1453 viewsPatfromPoole

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 12:46 - Mar 4 by Manhattan_Lynx

Are there any beancounters on here that can explain the double entry mechanics of transfers in and out?

You won’t find anybody on here qualified to do that 😉

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 13:31 - Mar 4 with 1390 viewsIfonly

I read a lot of comments on here about how the Championship is fun and it won't be too bad if we stay down and get another chance to "build the squad". What a joke! These figures underline how big the issue is.

Of our total revenue of £146m, TV revenue was £108m (£115m the year before that). TV revenue is basically the whole business model. But, even in this period when we had PL TV revenue we made a loss of £49m - totally unsustainable.

The average Championship club gets about £10m in TV revenue - an absolutely massive difference from what we've been used to. Our financial model just collapses in the Championship. For one year we can cover some of the losses with players sales and parachute payments. But the player sales were a one-off and parachute payments start declining from next season if we don't go up.

If we stay down in the Championship we wont be able to keep the same quality squad as we have now and things will get tougher from there. So, enjoy this season in the Championship but don't think it will be easy to repeat it or that we will have any chance to "build the squad" if we miss out on promotion.
Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 13:47 - Mar 4 with 1365 viewsIfonly

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 13:31 - Mar 4 by Ifonly

I read a lot of comments on here about how the Championship is fun and it won't be too bad if we stay down and get another chance to "build the squad". What a joke! These figures underline how big the issue is.

Of our total revenue of £146m, TV revenue was £108m (£115m the year before that). TV revenue is basically the whole business model. But, even in this period when we had PL TV revenue we made a loss of £49m - totally unsustainable.

The average Championship club gets about £10m in TV revenue - an absolutely massive difference from what we've been used to. Our financial model just collapses in the Championship. For one year we can cover some of the losses with players sales and parachute payments. But the player sales were a one-off and parachute payments start declining from next season if we don't go up.

If we stay down in the Championship we wont be able to keep the same quality squad as we have now and things will get tougher from there. So, enjoy this season in the Championship but don't think it will be easy to repeat it or that we will have any chance to "build the squad" if we miss out on promotion.

Actually, I should say that £49m loss was our loss on ongoing business (which is what I meant by it being unsustainable). We also had a one-off loss on player trading of £44m, bringing our total loss to £94m.
Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 13:51 - Mar 4 with 1354 views1885_SFC

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 13:31 - Mar 4 by Ifonly

So the simple answer is - we'll have to win the play-off final at Wembley.

I sound like a stuck record, but we're not going to go up automatically - not with our defence and the amount of silly goals we concede (or RM's questionable team selections for that matter). It's sh1t or bust this season then - now or never.

No pressure then.

Old School is Cool

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 13:54 - Mar 4 with 1344 viewsPatfromPoole

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 13:51 - Mar 4 by 1885_SFC

So the simple answer is - we'll have to win the play-off final at Wembley.

I sound like a stuck record, but we're not going to go up automatically - not with our defence and the amount of silly goals we concede (or RM's questionable team selections for that matter). It's sh1t or bust this season then - now or never.

No pressure then.

I refer you to my “Sh1t or Bust” thread from a couple of weeks ago 😉

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 14:01 - Mar 4 with 1338 viewssaints__fan__73

If you look at the established Championship teams it's notable how little they can afford to spend. It's pretty much all free transfers and loans and some can go several seasons between actually spending money on a player.

The transfer fees that are spent are often in the hundred of thousands. It's like the top flight 40 years ago.

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 15:20 - Mar 4 with 1229 viewsUTS1885

I’ve browsed the detail on companies house and whilst the sales last summer cover the annual debt. We’re also getting close to £100m overall debt, which must be made up mostly from the yank covid loan.
Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 15:44 - Mar 4 with 1202 viewssaints__fan__73

An interesting point from the Daily Echo's Alfie House is that, after tax, our losses were over £90m and the limit for FFP for a 3 year PL period are £105m so we would have had to sell JWP/Lavia et al even if we had stayed up

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 16:32 - Mar 4 with 1127 viewsgrumpy

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 15:44 - Mar 4 by saints__fan__73

An interesting point from the Daily Echo's Alfie House is that, after tax, our losses were over £90m and the limit for FFP for a 3 year PL period are £105m so we would have had to sell JWP/Lavia et al even if we had stayed up

Can't believe Chelsea have only given Lavia one game.
Got to say that was a good deal for Saints.
Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 16:44 - Mar 4 with 1106 viewssaints__fan__73

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 16:32 - Mar 4 by grumpy

Can't believe Chelsea have only given Lavia one game.
Got to say that was a good deal for Saints.

He's been injured.

What would you suggest? They send him out on crutches?

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 16:53 - Mar 4 with 1091 viewsCity_boy

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 10:32 - Mar 4 by PatfromPoole

This financial statement doesn't include many of the big sales, e.g. Lavia, JWP etc and players wages off the books, as this was after these were produced. This will be reflected in next years results, so it should make better reading.
Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 16:54 - Mar 4 with 1089 viewsgrumpy

Sports Republic - 87m in loss in 1st year on 16:44 - Mar 4 by saints__fan__73

He's been injured.

What would you suggest? They send him out on crutches?

Wasn't aware he was injured,no need for the sarcasm.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024