Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings 10:16 - Mar 15 with 2072 viewsSaintNick

Following on from the revelation that Will Smallbone lets the train take the strain, who has met a Saints player in somewhere they didn't expect to do so.

As mentioned I recently met Shane Long in the toilets of the Grapes Pub in Mathew Street Liverpool, a famous venue as this was not only the place that the Beatles used to drink when they played at the nearby Cavern Club, but where Pete Best went to drown his sorrows after being sacked by the Beatles.

I wonder whether Shane was considering that he was having a p*ss at the same urinals that the Fab Four would have (They looked like they hadn't changed) when he was accosted by a very well refreshed me .

This post has been edited by an administrator

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 11:04 - Mar 15 with 1507 viewsPatfromPoole

I met David Howells in St. Etienne a few days after he had signed for Saints.

It was the day of the World Cup game against Argentina in 1998.

Was a nice bloke; like me, just out there supporting England.

A couple of months later, he would end up going in goal for us as we got stuffed at Charlton….

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 11:08 - Mar 15 with 1501 viewsdirk_doone

Mick Channon once knocked on my front door and asked if I wanted a free ticket for the next game.
[Post edited 15 Mar 11:08]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 11:15 - Mar 15 with 1481 viewsButty101

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 11:08 - Mar 15 by dirk_doone

Mick Channon once knocked on my front door and asked if I wanted a free ticket for the next game.
[Post edited 15 Mar 11:08]

I met David Howells and Kevin Davis at a Cowes Week Ball. Howells was injured at the time but it didnt impact his sailing...

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 11:15 - Mar 15 with 1479 viewsfranniesTache

I met James Beattie a few times at a recording studio I worked at because he was meeting [REDACTED] to [REDACTED}
Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 11:17 - Mar 15 with 1470 viewsRon11

Not really strange surroundings, but I found myself standing at the bar next to James Beattie at a pub now called the Sindercombe Social on Shepherd's Bush Green, back in 2015. Had a quick chat about Saints - he was surprised to be recognised.
More recently a couple of years ago we were on holiday in Padstow and booked in the small bar in Steins St Petroc's Bistro which is dog friendly but only has three tables but still vey nice. Took our seats and the only other people in there were a couple from Liverpool - we struck up a conversation and said we were from Southampton area...they said they had lived in Winchester for a while, and when I asked what he did, he just replied 'a bit of this and that'. By this time I'd realised it was Sammy Lee and his wife so I said 'at Saints?" . We ended staying three most of the afternoon drinking and talking football. Lovely couple.
And last but not least, about 12 years ago in Locks Heath a friend of my wife dropped in for an urgent chat about something...a car was parked outside with someone I assumed was her partner in it. They (as women do) started the usual long conversation, so I said I'll go and bring in her partner rather than let him sit outside - I went out and called him in for a drink. Jimmy Case.
Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 11:37 - Mar 15 with 1444 viewsdirk_doone

In an Italian restaurant after a Saints v Norwich game, we were at a table next to Alan Ball, Graham and Kevin Bond. After a few bottles of Valpolicella, we all ended the singing OWTS, including Alan Ball, who'd recently been appointed manager of Portsmouth.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 12:06 - Mar 15 with 1408 viewsericofarabia

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 11:37 - Mar 15 by dirk_doone

In an Italian restaurant after a Saints v Norwich game, we were at a table next to Alan Ball, Graham and Kevin Bond. After a few bottles of Valpolicella, we all ended the singing OWTS, including Alan Ball, who'd recently been appointed manager of Portsmouth.

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 13:04 - Mar 15 with 1360 viewsTripleNiemi

Not playing staff, but had the pleasure of catching Lawrie Mac at a Dubliners gig back in the 90’s.

Player wise met Dave Peach in the changing rooms down New Milton Rec Centre
[Post edited 15 Mar 13:05]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Login to get fewer ads

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 13:31 - Mar 15 with 1324 viewsBLEEDRED

Going back many years I was in the bookies in Bedford Place (Corals I think) In there was Alan Ball. I left and was walking to the Dell, Alan followed, and we had a good chat as we walked to the Dell it was after 14:00, and I said to him shouldn't you be in by now? Yes, but it doesn't matter as Mick will pay the fine, most of the bets were for him.
Can't see anything like that happening today!
Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 13:38 - Mar 15 with 1318 viewsSaintNick

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 13:31 - Mar 15 by BLEEDRED

Going back many years I was in the bookies in Bedford Place (Corals I think) In there was Alan Ball. I left and was walking to the Dell, Alan followed, and we had a good chat as we walked to the Dell it was after 14:00, and I said to him shouldn't you be in by now? Yes, but it doesn't matter as Mick will pay the fine, most of the bets were for him.
Can't see anything like that happening today!

Back in the 1990's Matt Le Tissier was a regular visitor to the Bookies next to the Bedford, usually about midday though before the team meeting in the nearby Southampton Park Hotel

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 13:41 - Mar 15 with 1311 viewsfranniesTache

Probably don't need to redacted for this one as it's common knowledge what he got up to, but i also shared a spliff with Claus in the old Diva nightclub in town
Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 14:02 - Mar 15 with 1287 viewsyateleysaint

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 11:15 - Mar 15 by franniesTache

I met James Beattie a few times at a recording studio I worked at because he was meeting [REDACTED] to [REDACTED}

Beattie was banging Craig David?!

You cannot reason a person out of something they were not reasoned into.

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 14:07 - Mar 15 with 1269 viewsWints76

James Beattie at a party where he was quizzing me over the details of my vasectomy, and whether I'd been able to watch the procedure.

Mark Dennis in The Exchange pub in Winchester, where I told him that my pompey mate I was with had thrown the coin that hit him.
Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 14:29 - Mar 15 with 1239 viewsButty101

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 11:17 - Mar 15 by Ron11

Not really strange surroundings, but I found myself standing at the bar next to James Beattie at a pub now called the Sindercombe Social on Shepherd's Bush Green, back in 2015. Had a quick chat about Saints - he was surprised to be recognised.
More recently a couple of years ago we were on holiday in Padstow and booked in the small bar in Steins St Petroc's Bistro which is dog friendly but only has three tables but still vey nice. Took our seats and the only other people in there were a couple from Liverpool - we struck up a conversation and said we were from Southampton area...they said they had lived in Winchester for a while, and when I asked what he did, he just replied 'a bit of this and that'. By this time I'd realised it was Sammy Lee and his wife so I said 'at Saints?" . We ended staying three most of the afternoon drinking and talking football. Lovely couple.
And last but not least, about 12 years ago in Locks Heath a friend of my wife dropped in for an urgent chat about something...a car was parked outside with someone I assumed was her partner in it. They (as women do) started the usual long conversation, so I said I'll go and bring in her partner rather than let him sit outside - I went out and called him in for a drink. Jimmy Case.

Beattie i would love to share a story on but would probably get sued... He does have form for that

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 14:35 - Mar 15 with 1217 viewsPatfromPoole

Beattie seems to crop up a lot.

He must be quite the social animal.

I also remember him at my kids’ school sports day when his kids were at the same school in Poole. He was permanently making phone calls; bizarrely he was manager of Accrington Stanley at the time, whilst still living at Sandbanks….
[Post edited 15 Mar 14:36]

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 14:57 - Mar 15 with 1192 viewsfranniesTache

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 14:29 - Mar 15 by Butty101

Beattie i would love to share a story on but would probably get sued... He does have form for that

Hence my [REDACTED} story, he has some very interesting form
Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 15:07 - Mar 15 with 1169 viewsButty101

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 14:57 - Mar 15 by franniesTache

Hence my [REDACTED} story, he has some very interesting form

You might know the same story as me regarding an electrician and when he moved to everton ?

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 15:10 - Mar 15 with 1162 viewssaintwizzler

I was browsing the Kingsland market when Neil Shipperley showed me his meat and two veg.
I declined and instead had a fish supper.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 15:39 - Mar 15 with 1114 viewskingslandstand1

Many years ago I found myself standing next to Steve Williams with todger in hand and he with his at the old Dockers club pi55ers that is now 1865

Needless to say I didn't compare notes, but found that I only dribbled standing next to a favourite player at the time rather than full blown emptying process!
Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 15:39 - Mar 15 with 1116 viewsSouthamptonfan

I met Alan Ball and his wife, obviously many years ago at an Indian restaurant. Great man, very friendly, loved chatting football, even though he was out for an evening meal. Likewise saw Stewart Grey in a restaurant, after the first game at St Mary's against Chelsea, when we lost 2 nil. Just said Hello, seemed friendly enough. Met Puel at Bournemouth airport after the Milan game. He hardly said a word to the few fans who were around. He was a miserable as you like, but to be fair, Saints had just lost a vital game.

Also saw Kelvin Davis with another member of the coaching team, on a train from Selhurst after we had won at Palace when Hughes was manager. He punched the air when he saw us group of Saints fans on the train travelling back to Waterloo and he had a chat for a few minutes before moving down the train. Always wondered why he hadn't stayed with the Saints team. Perhaps he wanted a night in London. I also once saw Beattie in the city centre from a distance. Bumped into him again in the concourses at QPR away this season.
[Post edited 15 Mar 15:40]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 17:06 - Mar 15 with 1040 viewssaintmark1976

Not a player I appreciate. However, I met Lawrie Mac in the car park at the Dell after we had escaped relegation with a memorable 3-3 draw at West Ham a good few years back. I remember it well but would be surprised if he remembered anything much about the day at all !
Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 17:12 - Mar 15 with 1029 viewsfranniesTache

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 15:07 - Mar 15 by Butty101

You might know the same story as me regarding an electrician and when he moved to everton ?

I don't, mine is more related to his trips to the zoo in bournemouth...
Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 17:41 - Mar 15 with 998 views1teeminants

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 13:38 - Mar 15 by SaintNick

Back in the 1990's Matt Le Tissier was a regular visitor to the Bookies next to the Bedford, usually about midday though before the team meeting in the nearby Southampton Park Hotel

I shook Matt Le Tissiers hand when I bumped into him in a bar at Newcastle Before our recent cup game. The geordies were idolising him too despite the fact he often destroyed them.

I checked Peter crouch out of his rented flat in South Western house when I worked for an agent in Oxford street. I also valued Ian Baird’s flat and met him and his missus. . Shook Beattie’s hand at QPR in concourse. I also used to see Sammy Lee in the Wykeham Arms in Winchester now and again and a group of us chatted about his career. I bet he loved that ffs.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 18:42 - Mar 15 with 931 viewsGRIM

Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 13:38 - Mar 15 by SaintNick

I met & chatted to Matt Le Tiss in Coral bookies in Fair Oak on a Saturday afternoon.
He was out of favour with Ian Branfoot & not selected to even travel with the team who were playing at Villa Park.
Also met him in his nightclub Celebration Plaza. The club was empty & it was only me + 2 mates chatting to Le Tiss who was with Co owner Mike Osman.
Used to chat with Alan ball quite regularly in his local pub the White Horse at Ampfield
On another occasion Bally helped me carry my wife across a flooded Car Park at The Concorde.
I did kick Ted McDougall a couple of times when he was playing local football (I think it was either Mottisfont or Michelmersh & Timsbury).
Saints Players You Have Met In Strange Surroundings on 20:42 - Mar 15 with 856 viewsfelly1

I bumped into Guly Do Prado at the Cider and Sausage festival in Farnham. Nice guy. Quite the livewire once the Henry Westons kicked in.

I had a beer and a quick chat with a fully gothed up Gordon Hobson at a Fields of Nephilim gig at the Wedgwood rooms back in 87 .
I was pleasantly suprised to encounter a footballer who's musical tastes extended beyond Phil Collins and Lionel Ritchie .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024