Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Life after Death 21:54 - Jan 18 with 21764 viewsLord_Bony

Been reading a bit on this lately.

Do you think when we die that is it,end of story.

Or do you think the spirit lives on?

Would like some views on this.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Life after Death on 19:48 - Jan 19 with 1781 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 19:45 - Jan 19 by Phaedrus

Learn means "aquisition of knowledge". Science is knowledge. You are wrong on all counts. try again.

You're the one trolling here, Phaedrus.

In the absence of anything new or interesting emerging from this thread, I''m out.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Life after Death on 19:48 - Jan 19 with 1788 viewsPhaedrus

Life after Death on 19:48 - Jan 19 by Shaky

You're the one trolling here, Phaedrus.

In the absence of anything new or interesting emerging from this thread, I''m out.

This all started with you accusing me of chickening out of the discussion. Come back soon now ya hear. I will keep the thesaurus close by.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2014 19:52]

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Life after Death on 20:07 - Jan 19 with 1739 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 19:48 - Jan 19 by Phaedrus

This all started with you accusing me of chickening out of the discussion. Come back soon now ya hear. I will keep the thesaurus close by.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2014 19:52]

Good idea keeping that thesaurus handy; always the Sophists' best friend.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Life after Death on 11:01 - Jan 24 with 1671 viewsLord_Bony

Have they finished now? Is it safe to come out?

Sheesh

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Life after Death on 13:17 - Jan 24 with 1640 viewsthe_oracle

Life after Death on 10:43 - Jan 19 by Phaedrus

Science derives from the Latin word knowledge. How do we gain knowledge? By learning?

Gnosticism (from gnostikos, "learned", from Ancient Greek: γνῶσις gnōsis, knowledge) .

I have always believed in the "soul". I asked my self why any feeling such as sadness, happiness, fear etc is felt just between the ribcage and stomach. There is no "feeling" organ there no "emotion" nerve. Given that everything else goes on in the brain you would think emotions would be felt there. Given this I believe, and its a personal subjective belief, that this is evidence of a "soul" or as Dav puts it a "life force".

Some years ago after some some reseach into the soul, I came across Gnostism. I've never been the religious sort but I had felt for some time that if there was a Christian God it was evil. Nothing else could explain ( on a religious basis,) the awful things that happen on a world wide and on a personal basis. This God is protected by "faith". That is if the believer puts up with all this hell on earth then they will be rewarded in the after life. I felt that those who believed in this God had been so blinded by their faith that they felt evil was part of Gods plan and was therefore acceptable.

Gnostics believe that the Universe was created by a lesser being than the real God ( if you believe there could be one God then why not two)? This lesser being is seen as evil. I had never thought of the possiblity of there being more than one God and also gave me an explanation of the evil on earth.

Theres a lot more to it so if your interested theres a good outline can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism.

This knowledge, which is personal and intuitive, has reinforced my belief there is an after life.
Life after Death on 13:34 - Jan 24 with 1635 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Life after Death on 13:17 - Jan 24 by the_oracle

Gnosticism (from gnostikos, "learned", from Ancient Greek: γνῶσις gnōsis, knowledge) .

I have always believed in the "soul". I asked my self why any feeling such as sadness, happiness, fear etc is felt just between the ribcage and stomach. There is no "feeling" organ there no "emotion" nerve. Given that everything else goes on in the brain you would think emotions would be felt there. Given this I believe, and its a personal subjective belief, that this is evidence of a "soul" or as Dav puts it a "life force".

Some years ago after some some reseach into the soul, I came across Gnostism. I've never been the religious sort but I had felt for some time that if there was a Christian God it was evil. Nothing else could explain ( on a religious basis,) the awful things that happen on a world wide and on a personal basis. This God is protected by "faith". That is if the believer puts up with all this hell on earth then they will be rewarded in the after life. I felt that those who believed in this God had been so blinded by their faith that they felt evil was part of Gods plan and was therefore acceptable.

Gnostics believe that the Universe was created by a lesser being than the real God ( if you believe there could be one God then why not two)? This lesser being is seen as evil. I had never thought of the possiblity of there being more than one God and also gave me an explanation of the evil on earth.

Theres a lot more to it so if your interested theres a good outline can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism.

This knowledge, which is personal and intuitive, has reinforced my belief there is an after life.

Gnosticism is the basic background for the matrix films. See also Catharism (from the Greek Katharoi - the pure ones)

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Life after Death on 14:23 - Jan 24 with 1614 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 08:48 - Jan 19 by dgt73

That's what a scientist would say, but what happen before the Big Bang? And where did all the atoms come from in the first place. I have never heard anyone answer these questions and I wonder why.

Sorry about the delay in answer.

What on earth has "before the Big Bang" got to do with the body and it's breakdown and decomposition/reformation etc?

As things stand, there are no definitive answers on pre-Big Bang, but on current evidence it appears that atoms were formed from this initial Big Bang process, as were other sub atomic particles (is it 100% no, but no scientist claims it to be, but it is the best answer with the largest amount of evidence to support it).

What happened pre big bang? I certainly don't know. Maybe the universe has always been here in a cycle/static state. Maybe there is some form of energy/being that created it, or maybe something else. One thing for certain, all arguments of such show infinite regress.

One thing I am certain is that there is enough evidence to show that the interpretation of the universe construction let out by Genesis (both contradictory versions) is falsifiable, and thus the basic premise of "creation" fails and thus, by ergo, yahweh is a fictional entity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Life after Death on 14:25 - Jan 24 with 1614 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 09:10 - Jan 19 by Shaky

When I was in my early 20s I had what I can only describe as a sort of mystical out of body experience that convinced me that some part of us can exist outside the body.

Whether that part is the soul or some element of consciousness like the ego I have no clue, but for me it was/is undoubtedly absolutely real.

Edit: Oops, I didn't mean to reply to anybody there.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2014 9:10]

Please elaborate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Login to get fewer ads

Life after Death on 15:53 - Jan 24 with 1596 viewsDavillin

Man clinically dead and has a near-death experience.

When he "returns" to life, everyone wants to know what it's like "on the other side," and did he see God.

"I did," he answers.

"What's he like," they ask.

And he replies, "Well, first of all, she's a dolphin."

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Life after Death on 17:22 - Jan 24 with 1579 viewsperchrockjack

Faith cannot be proven just believed.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Life after Death on 21:43 - Jan 24 with 1556 viewsLord_Bony

Life after Death on 09:20 - Jan 19 by eddie71

As a Christian I would obivously say Yes and I believe in the survivual of the soul after death. However I think virtually all spiritual traditions believe in some sort of post death survival.

NDE's are are interesting topic as well. I strongly believe that life can not be so pointless that we all just seek to exist at the end of it.

NDEs or near death experiences are very interesting,especially due to the fact that most people who experience it seem to say the same thing. The life force or spirit does nt die with the body.
Instead it lifts out and goes to another place/dimension?

These experiences have been verified by top surgeons as witnesses talking to them after wards.

Life after Death on 22:12 - Jan 24 with 1536 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 21:43 - Jan 24 by Lord_Bony

NDEs or near death experiences are very interesting,especially due to the fact that most people who experience it seem to say the same thing. The life force or spirit does nt die with the body.

These experiences have been verified by top surgeons as witnesses talking to them after wards.

So these surgeons witnessed the movement of the soul?

Or, was it simply they witnessed that a person mentioned it happening to them after the event?

If it's the first, then I have yet to come across this reviewed anywhere of authority and would love to read it. If it is the second, then that is hardly a proof of anything other than a person recording down what another person says. It's like saying that someone who has claimed to be abducted by a UFO is to be believed as they have been missing for a while, had some marks on them and came up with the image of grey/green humanoid like forms with bulbous heads. I do believe that is quite a common theme among these abductees. So because the police may witness the story, does it make it anymore believable?

Strange things happen to the brain when starved of oxygen, or through the use of certain drugs. Ketamine is one such drug that has been used in study to create similar effects, giving people the same experience, although never coming close to death during the trial.

Life after Death on 22:43 - Jan 24 with 1521 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 21:43 - Jan 24 by Lord_Bony

F*ck me - you've excelled yourself.
Life after Death on 22:48 - Jan 24 with 1512 viewsLord_Bony

So any more thoughts?

Is there a possibility if life after death?
[Post edited 23 Jul 2014 8:05]

Life after Death on 23:09 - Jan 24 with 1491 viewsC_jack

You can argue for the meaning of the soul, but scientists have been mystified for years about the transition into death, especially when calculating the change in body mass.

People say there is no other world outside of this one, but its a safe guarantee that all of us have experienced being transported into another 'reality', through the concept of dreaming.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2014 23:10]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Life after Death on 23:17 - Jan 24 with 1479 viewsWarwickHunt

Arf. I suspect a lot of these "experiences" are completely made up anyway.
However...
http://www.csicop.org/si/show/darkness_tunnels_and_light/
Life after Death on 23:36 - Jan 24 with 1460 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 22:48 - Jan 24 by Lord_Bony

So any more thoughts?

Is there a possibility if life after death?
[Post edited 23 Jul 2014 8:05]

Anecdotal evidence, with zero physical evidence to back up the claims made. Surely there is a better standard of evidence than that.

Life after Death on 23:48 - Jan 24 with 1455 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 23:09 - Jan 24 by C_jack

You can argue for the meaning of the soul, but scientists have been mystified for years about the transition into death, especially when calculating the change in body mass.

People say there is no other world outside of this one, but its a safe guarantee that all of us have experienced being transported into another 'reality', through the concept of dreaming.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2014 23:10]

So - brain function while asleep is "being transported into another reality."

The change in body mass (or weight...) after death (assuming people are still weighed seconds before their final breath - the experiment you presumably refer to was in 1909) doesn't "mystify scientists" either.

F*ck. My. Eyes.
Life after Death on 00:04 - Jan 25 with 1441 viewsmysonsarejacks

I met this guy some years ago. I saw the scars from where he was stung by a box jellyfish - having been to Australia - you don't get off lightly when that happens.

I am a Christian - have been for years now (not always was). There is a 'supernatural' world (in my humble opinion).

Poll: John Terry transfer ?

Life after Death on 00:21 - Jan 25 with 1430 viewsWarwickHunt

Ian McCormack? A shyster who's made a tidy living out of this story.

F*ck me , you're gullible, aye.
Life after Death on 00:22 - Jan 25 with 1438 viewsLord_Bony

well down to the individual really...

There are many things science can t explain nor understands at the moment.

We only know this dimension and would argue what we cant see or feel in this dimension does nt exist.

Quantam physics has discovered I think about 14 dimensions.

I think there could be an answer in there somewhere...that fact is we don t know ...but some strange stuff goes on in this universe thats for sure....who knows what happens to our spirits after we die....certainly not the scientists.

Life after Death on 00:23 - Jan 25 with 1431 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 00:04 - Jan 25 by mysonsarejacks

I met this guy some years ago. I saw the scars from where he was stung by a box jellyfish - having been to Australia - you don't get off lightly when that happens.

I am a Christian - have been for years now (not always was). There is a 'supernatural' world (in my humble opinion).

I'm sorry I started but failed, fast forwarded to the trip he had, and that was it. I have no doubt these people believe their stories to be true, but them believing in a more than likely hallucination does not evidence of an afterlife make,

Life after Death on 00:25 - Jan 25 with 1429 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 00:22 - Jan 25 by Lord_Bony

well down to the individual really...

There are many things science can t explain nor understands at the moment.

We only know this dimension and would argue what we cant see or feel in this dimension does nt exist.

Quantam physics has discovered I think about 14 dimensions.

I think there could be an answer in there somewhere...that fact is we don t know ...but some strange stuff goes on in this universe thats for sure....who knows what happens to our spirits after we die....certainly not the scientists.

First you have to define spirit, and prove that one exists, before any testing can be done about it after death.

Life after Death on 00:32 - Jan 25 with 1421 viewsLord_Bony

Meaning life force,energy ,consciousness of the individual.....Many people believe it lives on after death of the body.Like everything else in the universe it is re cycled.

Since early civilizations man has believed this,all over the world regardless of religion.

For a few academics at Harvard University to dismiss it all as nonsense I find a bit hard to believe myself but there you go...

Life after Death on 00:45 - Jan 25 with 1407 viewsswanjackal

Life after Death on 00:32 - Jan 25 by Lord_Bony

Meaning life force,energy ,consciousness of the individual.....Many people believe it lives on after death of the body.Like everything else in the universe it is re cycled.

Since early civilizations man has believed this,all over the world regardless of religion.

For a few academics at Harvard University to dismiss it all as nonsense I find a bit hard to believe myself but there you go...

Well what you have stated there could be possibly answered away, life force would be things driving life and survival.....nutrients, oxygen, chemical gradients etc. These things can also be used to describe the energy required to run a living system (respiration, chemical potentials (nerve stimulation). Consciousness is also linked to brain activity and certain regions of it. Function is maintained by neural stimulation and connectivity. So all those things can be defined medically/scientifically.

One thing I can give though, is how the full process works to create certain aspects of a beings nature, as this is not fully understood yet.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024