Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Life after Death 21:54 - Jan 18 with 21762 viewsLord_Bony

Been reading a bit on this lately.

Do you think when we die that is it,end of story.

Or do you think the spirit lives on?

Would like some views on this.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Life after Death on 10:16 - Jan 19 with 1638 viewsDr_Winston

Life after Death on 10:14 - Jan 19 by dgt73

You believe what you want. One question for you tho, where did the universe come from and before you say the Big Bang I mean pre-Big Bang where did all the atmos come from.

I have no idea.

Where did God come from?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Life after Death on 10:17 - Jan 19 with 1634 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 10:10 - Jan 19 by Dr_Winston

Then evidence came out to the contrary and science changed it's position, which is what science does.

In the meantime, billions of people still believe that the world was created by sky pixies.

Not just the world but hundreds of billions of galaxies... plus the other ones we can't even see yet.
Life after Death on 10:18 - Jan 19 with 1630 viewsdgt73

Life after Death on 10:16 - Jan 19 by Dr_Winston

I have no idea.

Where did God come from?

Exactly, you have no idea. Thank you.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Life after Death on 10:18 - Jan 19 with 1630 viewsgyrjack

Life after Death on 01:09 - Jan 19 by WarwickHunt

"As someone noted above, there is something about life which we cannot understand - a life force, or in a non-religious sense, a soul. No-one can question the fact that there is a life force that made this pile of chemicals and elements come to life from nothing, and that it had to come from somewhere; and when my body dies, it has to go somewhere."

Utter tosh.

Do insects and animals have "souls?" Grow up.

We dont know do we? The life source in my dog is no less miraculous than my own.
Life after Death on 10:19 - Jan 19 with 1627 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 10:14 - Jan 19 by Phaedrus

Science isn't something we invented, its something we discovered. Its just a summary of what we have learned so far. It has to be able to accommodate human fallibility.

You are right that science has to 'be able to accommodate human fallibility' but otherwise totally wrong.

I suggest you read the 'Logic of Scientific Discovery' by Karl Popper for the supporting arguments if you are interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logic-Scientific-Discovery-Routledge-Classics/dp/0415278

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Life after Death on 10:22 - Jan 19 with 1625 viewsDr_Winston

Life after Death on 10:18 - Jan 19 by dgt73

Exactly, you have no idea. Thank you.

You aren't going to answer my question then?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Life after Death on 10:23 - Jan 19 with 1620 viewsPhaedrus

'Brane' theory provides an explanation of where the universe came from. In short our universe came from two other universes hitting each other. Why do we suppose ours is the only one? We learned that we can create tiny universes in a hadron collider. It become apparent that scale is something we domnt truly understand, and that things can get as impossibly small in this universe as they are big. Atom means indivisible. We thought atoms were as small as things got. We now now this to be far from the truth.(Nanotechnology is predicted as being the next huge revoloution) How much smaller do things get down there? Small enough for whole microscopic(to us) world. I mean we are infinitesimal in the scheme of the universe, but this universe could be just an atom in some other macroscopic world. We just dont know.

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Life after Death on 10:23 - Jan 19 with 1617 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 10:18 - Jan 19 by gyrjack

We dont know do we? The life source in my dog is no less miraculous than my own.

Do you mean blood?
Login to get fewer ads

Life after Death on 10:24 - Jan 19 with 1613 viewsDr_Winston

Life after Death on 10:23 - Jan 19 by Phaedrus

'Brane' theory provides an explanation of where the universe came from. In short our universe came from two other universes hitting each other. Why do we suppose ours is the only one? We learned that we can create tiny universes in a hadron collider. It become apparent that scale is something we domnt truly understand, and that things can get as impossibly small in this universe as they are big. Atom means indivisible. We thought atoms were as small as things got. We now now this to be far from the truth.(Nanotechnology is predicted as being the next huge revoloution) How much smaller do things get down there? Small enough for whole microscopic(to us) world. I mean we are infinitesimal in the scheme of the universe, but this universe could be just an atom in some other macroscopic world. We just dont know.

God did it.

Easier answer. Saves on thinking.

Life after Death on 10:26 - Jan 19 with 1608 viewsPhaedrus

Life after Death on 10:19 - Jan 19 by Shaky

You are right that science has to 'be able to accommodate human fallibility' but otherwise totally wrong.

I suggest you read the 'Logic of Scientific Discovery' by Karl Popper for the supporting arguments if you are interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logic-Scientific-Discovery-Routledge-Classics/dp/0415278

If you are going to tell me how wrong I am at least give me the gist of it. A bit lazy to just throw a link in. At least I try and explain things.

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Life after Death on 10:27 - Jan 19 with 1604 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 10:23 - Jan 19 by Phaedrus

You are Neil from The Young Ones and I claim my five pounds.
Life after Death on 10:27 - Jan 19 with 1600 viewsCottsy

Life after Death on 10:04 - Jan 19 by dgt73

Spot on. Scientists not long ago were telling us the world was flat.

Define not long ago because the Ancient Greeks knew that the Earth was spherical and that has been the position of scientists ever since with ever increasing accuracy.

The story of Columbus sailing off the edge of the world is a myth and the flat earth society of Victorian times couldn't be described as a scientific community.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

Life after Death on 10:27 - Jan 19 with 1597 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 10:14 - Jan 19 by Phaedrus

Science isn't something we invented, its something we discovered. Its just a summary of what we have learned so far. It has to be able to accommodate human fallibility.

I'll give you a quick summary, however.

Popper argues that there is little difference between science and the telling of myths. However, the big one is that where mythology seeks to force us into accepting this blindly, the scientific approach instead invites or even demands of us to come up with a better story.

In other words it is the unspoken invitation to challenge our interpretation of events or phenomena that defines the scientific approach, and that was invented by some Greek geezers, innit.

For that reason it is not a summary of what we have learned, but rather a summary of our best explanations so far, for what we can observe so far.

However, the interesting thing about science is what we don't know, not the stories we have invented until now.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Life after Death on 10:28 - Jan 19 with 1599 viewsHerohead

Die in battle go to valhalla and fight all day and party all night.
Have som fun with the valkyries, and shieldmaidens until ragnarok..

:-)

I googeled cardiff+football and got "page not found"
Poll: Laudrup out?

Life after Death on 10:29 - Jan 19 with 1599 viewsPhaedrus

Life after Death on 10:27 - Jan 19 by WarwickHunt

You are Neil from The Young Ones and I claim my five pounds.

lol. Cant win with you hey.

Life after Death on 10:29 - Jan 19 with 1597 viewsdgt73

Life after Death on 10:22 - Jan 19 by Dr_Winston

You aren't going to answer my question then?

To believe in god doesn't mean I know where he came from, just as you have no idea what caused the Big Bang. Where as I believe there is a higher power at work, you just dismiss any idea of a god, but that is a fashionable view these days.

Life after Death on 10:30 - Jan 19 with 1594 viewsPhaedrus

Life after Death on 10:27 - Jan 19 by Shaky

I'll give you a quick summary, however.

Popper argues that there is little difference between science and the telling of myths. However, the big one is that where mythology seeks to force us into accepting this blindly, the scientific approach instead invites or even demands of us to come up with a better story.

In other words it is the unspoken invitation to challenge our interpretation of events or phenomena that defines the scientific approach, and that was invented by some Greek geezers, innit.

For that reason it is not a summary of what we have learned, but rather a summary of our best explanations so far, for what we can observe so far.

However, the interesting thing about science is what we don't know, not the stories we have invented until now.

And how did we achieve these explanations?By learning? Fk me Im not going down this route again. See ya.

Life after Death on 10:33 - Jan 19 with 1586 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 10:29 - Jan 19 by Phaedrus

lol. Cant win with you hey.

Sorry - it was just the last bit about the universe being an atom within a bigger one... I seem to remember an episode where he said that.
Life after Death on 10:35 - Jan 19 with 1576 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 10:30 - Jan 19 by Phaedrus

And how did we achieve these explanations?By learning? Fk me Im not going down this route again. See ya.

Through observation and the principle of falsification.

As for the rest of your post, either you have me confused with somebody else or you are chickening out of this discussion.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Life after Death on 10:35 - Jan 19 with 1579 viewsDr_Winston

Life after Death on 10:29 - Jan 19 by dgt73

To believe in god doesn't mean I know where he came from, just as you have no idea what caused the Big Bang. Where as I believe there is a higher power at work, you just dismiss any idea of a god, but that is a fashionable view these days.

So you don't know either. Thanks.

Life after Death on 10:37 - Jan 19 with 1570 viewsPhaedrus

Life after Death on 10:35 - Jan 19 by Shaky

Through observation and the principle of falsification.

As for the rest of your post, either you have me confused with somebody else or you are chickening out of this discussion.

You havent explained to me why I was wrong. Science is practical application of empirical theory. We learn through experiment.

heres my statement. Why is it wrong.

Science isn't something we invented, its something we discovered. Its just a summary of what we have learned so far.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2014 10:38]

Life after Death on 10:40 - Jan 19 with 1558 viewsDr_Winston

Life after Death on 10:42 - Jan 19 with 1546 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 10:37 - Jan 19 by Phaedrus

You havent explained to me why I was wrong. Science is practical application of empirical theory. We learn through experiment.

heres my statement. Why is it wrong.

Science isn't something we invented, its something we discovered. Its just a summary of what we have learned so far.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2014 10:38]

(Usually) Wrong again.

We first form a hypothesis (read myth) and then test it via experiment.

The absence of experimental evidence that falsifies the hypothesis then allows it to stand, unless new evidence subsequently emerges in future.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Life after Death on 10:43 - Jan 19 with 1547 viewsPhaedrus

Science derives from the Latin word knowledge. How do we gain knowledge? By learning?

Life after Death on 10:43 - Jan 19 with 1542 viewsdgt73

Life after Death on 10:35 - Jan 19 by Dr_Winston

So you don't know either. Thanks.

That's right, but unlike you I'm not dismissing things..

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024