Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Life after Death 21:54 - Jan 18 with 21975 viewsLord_Bony

Been reading a bit on this lately.

Do you think when we die that is it,end of story.

Or do you think the spirit lives on?

Would like some views on this.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Life after Death on 08:31 - Jan 19 with 1746 viewsDr_Winston

Life after Death on 04:56 - Jan 19 by Catullus

Animals have emotions, they feel love, fear death, so yes I'll say they do have souls. I simplify of course.
I have a simple answer, I do not know. But I refuse to confirm or write off what I cannot prove or disprove.
I shall just have to wait and see.

You consist of atoms. After you die, your atoms become part of something else. There's no mystery to life, you're just an advanced chemical reaction.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Life after Death on 08:48 - Jan 19 with 1739 viewsdgt73

Life after Death on 22:35 - Jan 18 by swanjackal

We will be recycled, our atoms will be broken up and used elsewhere, some of which will be passed on to the maintenance, or creativity, of a new life form. Therefore at the molecular level we will be reborn in many ways, just it won't have your memory or sentience, and this "life force/spirit/essence/energy" will terminate with your bodies life.

That's what a scientist would say, but what happen before the Big Bang? And where did all the atoms come from in the first place. I have never heard anyone answer these questions and I wonder why.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Life after Death on 09:10 - Jan 19 with 1721 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 08:48 - Jan 19 by dgt73

That's what a scientist would say, but what happen before the Big Bang? And where did all the atoms come from in the first place. I have never heard anyone answer these questions and I wonder why.

When I was in my early 20s I had what I can only describe as a sort of mystical out of body experience that convinced me that some part of us can exist outside the body.

Whether that part is the soul or some element of consciousness like the ego I have no clue, but for me it was/is undoubtedly absolutely real.

Edit: Oops, I didn't mean to reply to anybody there.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2014 9:10]

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Life after Death on 09:20 - Jan 19 with 1715 viewseddie71

As a Christian I would obivously say Yes and I believe in the survivual of the soul after death. However I think virtually all spiritual traditions believe in some sort of post death survival.

NDE's are are interesting topic as well. I strongly believe that life can not be so pointless that we all just seek to exist at the end of it.
Life after Death on 09:24 - Jan 19 with 1709 viewsDr_Winston

Life after Death on 09:20 - Jan 19 by eddie71

As a Christian I would obivously say Yes and I believe in the survivual of the soul after death. However I think virtually all spiritual traditions believe in some sort of post death survival.

NDE's are are interesting topic as well. I strongly believe that life can not be so pointless that we all just seek to exist at the end of it.

Does the mouse getting chomped by an owl go to heaven?

Why should humans get special treatment from an all loving (but piss him off and you get tortured for all eternity) God?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Life after Death on 09:32 - Jan 19 with 1696 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 09:10 - Jan 19 by Shaky

When I was in my early 20s I had what I can only describe as a sort of mystical out of body experience that convinced me that some part of us can exist outside the body.

Whether that part is the soul or some element of consciousness like the ego I have no clue, but for me it was/is undoubtedly absolutely real.

Acid was f*cking great, wasn't it?
Life after Death on 09:32 - Jan 19 with 1692 viewseddie71

Life after Death on 09:24 - Jan 19 by Dr_Winston

Does the mouse getting chomped by an owl go to heaven?

Why should humans get special treatment from an all loving (but piss him off and you get tortured for all eternity) God?

No animals don't have souls.
Life after Death on 09:34 - Jan 19 with 1685 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 09:32 - Jan 19 by WarwickHunt

Acid was f*cking great, wasn't it?

Yup, but I assure you none was involved at that time; in fact I am pretty sure this happened some time before I met 'Graham' from Stoke Newington ;-)

Misology -- It's a bitch

Login to get fewer ads

Life after Death on 09:35 - Jan 19 with 1683 viewsDr_Winston

Life after Death on 09:32 - Jan 19 by eddie71

What about Chimpanzees? They share 99% of our DNA.

Is the soul the missing 1%?

Life after Death on 09:35 - Jan 19 with 1678 viewsCottsy

Remember those 13 and half billion years just before you were born where there was absolutely nothing? Well it's going to be like that for the rest of eternity so you might want to make the most of your brief time here.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

Life after Death on 09:40 - Jan 19 with 1662 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 09:35 - Jan 19 by Cottsy

Remember those 13 and half billion years just before you were born where there was absolutely nothing? Well it's going to be like that for the rest of eternity so you might want to make the most of your brief time here.

I am impressed by your ability to discuss unknowable things in terms of absolute certainty.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Life after Death on 09:41 - Jan 19 with 1661 viewsCottsy

Life after Death on 08:48 - Jan 19 by dgt73

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2013/08/01/guest-post-astrochemistry-and

Glad to help

Life after Death on 09:41 - Jan 19 with 1664 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 09:20 - Jan 19 by eddie71

I think you mean "cease" to exist... although "seek to exist" is a wonderful Freudian slip that explains the existence of religion. A salve for the feeble-minded.

You die, you rot - just like everything else. Homo sapiens aren't a miraculous special case.
Deal with it.
Life after Death on 09:46 - Jan 19 with 1647 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 09:40 - Jan 19 by Shaky

I am impressed by your ability to discuss unknowable things in terms of absolute certainty.

It's called science.
Life after Death on 09:47 - Jan 19 with 1643 viewsCottsy

Life after Death on 09:40 - Jan 19 by Shaky

Its the most likely scenario and the most likely scenario is usually the correct one.

There is absolutely zero evidence for any kind of mystical realm or soul farm anywhere in the universe so I'm confident enough in my position.

Life after Death on 09:47 - Jan 19 with 1430 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 09:32 - Jan 19 by eddie71

Lovely stuff! Would you care to explain why?

I'll wait...

ps Here's a quid, go and buy a comma.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2014 9:54]
Life after Death on 09:50 - Jan 19 with 1425 viewsdgt73

Life after Death on 09:10 - Jan 19 by Shaky

As a average guy who likes going to watch football and going for a few pints, and doing what most average guys like doing, I do believe in GOD even tho I don't go to church. I was once told, it is better to believe in god and find out there isn't one, than not believe in god and find out there is one.........
[Post edited 19 Jan 2014 9:53]

Life after Death on 09:50 - Jan 19 with 1425 viewsPhaedrus

Life after Death on 09:35 - Jan 19 by Dr_Winston

What about Chimpanzees? They share 99% of our DNA.

Is the soul the missing 1%?

It weighs 21 grams apparently so the percentage is variable, given its constant weight. I really should put a smiley here.

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Life after Death on 09:53 - Jan 19 with 1419 viewsPhaedrus

WRT to the op, we live on through our deeds and our progeny, but To dismiss us as mere chemistry is overlook an awful lot. What the chemical equation for a football match?

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Life after Death on 09:55 - Jan 19 with 1411 viewsShaky

Life after Death on 09:46 - Jan 19 by WarwickHunt

It's called science.

You misunderstand science, or more specifically you fail to understand its limitations.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Life after Death on 10:04 - Jan 19 with 1402 viewsdgt73

Life after Death on 09:55 - Jan 19 by Shaky

You misunderstand science, or more specifically you fail to understand its limitations.

Spot on. Scientists not long ago were telling us the world was flat.

Life after Death on 10:07 - Jan 19 with 1399 viewsWarwickHunt

Life after Death on 09:55 - Jan 19 by Shaky

It was tongue in cheek...

However, I'll stick with a rational explanation until I see absolute proof to the contrary.
Did I say absolute? The merest hint of something would be a start...
Life after Death on 10:10 - Jan 19 with 1398 viewsDr_Winston

Life after Death on 10:04 - Jan 19 by dgt73

Spot on. Scientists not long ago were telling us the world was flat.

Then evidence came out to the contrary and science changed it's position, which is what science does.

In the meantime, billions of people still believe that the world was created by sky pixies.

Life after Death on 10:14 - Jan 19 with 1392 viewsPhaedrus

Science isn't something we invented, its something we discovered. Its just a summary of what we have learned so far. It has to be able to accommodate human fallibility.

Life after Death on 10:14 - Jan 19 with 1390 viewsdgt73

Life after Death on 10:10 - Jan 19 by Dr_Winston

Then evidence came out to the contrary and science changed it's position, which is what science does.

In the meantime, billions of people still believe that the world was created by sky pixies.

You believe what you want. One question for you tho, where did the universe come from and before you say the Big Bang I mean pre-Big Bang where did all the atmos come from.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024