Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Persimmon homes 14:41 - May 15 with 6401 viewsJack11

Hi all looking to take the plunge and get on the property ladder. Reviewing all options and just wondered if anyone has any experience of persimmon/Barratt developments locally. Some of the reviews online are terrible, but don't specify the region. The 2nd hand properties in budget need time and money to get them up to scratch and it's not something that interests me at all. Any help would be great.
Persimmon homes on 14:55 - May 15 with 6383 viewsjack_lord

We have looked at a large number of houses in all areas of Swansea and those include new estates. I have had loads of great advice, especially through pm's, about moving. My personal view is that you get a lot more for your money buying a "second hand" property and you can see how an estate is shaping up after a few years.
There are a few advantages of the new homes and sometimes you can screw down the negotiator as they have to hit sales targets but if you can get people to put in extras in a second hand house you can choose where you would actually like to live.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Persimmon homes on 14:58 - May 15 with 6377 viewsdameedna

Based on what you write, get at least a survey done and if you are going to buy, get a full survey and opinion of costs to remedy.

Don't buy an old property if you don't want to maintain it, go for a new build or an apartment or townhouse.

The developers mentioned are licenced and I'd be more concerned about the owners credibility.
[Post edited 15 May 2016 15:00]
Persimmon homes on 15:42 - May 15 with 6344 viewsBanosswan

I know a couple of people who've had enormous snag lists with persimmon and whenever I've gone to look at their developments, the houses just seem a little more flimsy than other developers'.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Persimmon homes on 17:23 - May 15 with 6270 viewsmitchwales

Persimmon are shit in my opinion. We've bought a house in Newport with them and complained the the NHBC about how poor their service has been.
Persimmon homes on 18:20 - May 15 with 6215 viewsJack11

Thanks for the replies all - confirms what I suspected. Think I'm going to have to go down the project route, dust down the saw and hammer and wave goodbye to my life for a year or two!
Persimmon homes on 19:17 - May 15 with 6130 viewsPrivate_Partz

Persimmon homes on 14:55 - May 15 by jack_lord

We have looked at a large number of houses in all areas of Swansea and those include new estates. I have had loads of great advice, especially through pm's, about moving. My personal view is that you get a lot more for your money buying a "second hand" property and you can see how an estate is shaping up after a few years.
There are a few advantages of the new homes and sometimes you can screw down the negotiator as they have to hit sales targets but if you can get people to put in extras in a second hand house you can choose where you would actually like to live.

This is true. Check out Killay and Dunvant. There are properties that come on the market that were built in the 60s. They need very little doing to them. Try the Wimpey built houses as these are the best. There is great for public transport but getting in to the centre of Swansea is as bad as anywhere else if you are driving.
[Post edited 16 May 2016 9:08]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Persimmon homes on 20:57 - May 15 with 6036 viewsNatterjack

If you are planning on buying a new home I'd stay away from Persimmon as they are thrown up with little regard to quality.

Some Barratt developments are OK, so to are Taylor Wimpey (both star builders). Personally, I'd find a Redrow Homes house or a small developer
Persimmon homes on 21:07 - May 15 with 6022 viewsSwanzay

Dont buy new, last year we had a 'new' house and the quailty was shite, couldn't wait to move out and we did!
building standards are piss poor these days!
Login to get fewer ads

Persimmon homes on 21:35 - May 15 with 5983 viewsjack247

They tend to be built very close to each other with thin walls, so you won't get much privacy. You may also find yourself living on a building site for a number of years, depending how early or late into the development you buy.

On the plus side, they are normally situated near enough to the motorway and to amenities without being too close. This makes them attractive to professionals, so you have a decent chance of quiet neighbours. They also do shared equity deals, so attractive to first time buyers and people who can't raise a big deposit.

As a first home, I think they are pretty good, but be prepared to lose out a bit if you buy it brand new and then try to sell it a few years on, particularly if they are still building in your estate. As a long term home, I'd personally look for something a bit less flat pack.
Persimmon homes on 07:27 - May 16 with 5848 viewssquarebear

I bought a Wimpey new build. Heaven knows why. I suppose, after my divorce I just literally wanted a fresh start.

My house was on a housing estate of both family and affordable homes (this was apparently a rule to minimise the risk of ghettoising neighbourhoods). In real terms this meant buy-to-letters bought up the cheap housing, so the street was half-full of tenants, some of whom simply didn't give a f***.

I had some issues with leaks. The plumber who fixed them explained that Wimpey (presumably they're not unique in this) subcontracted the plumbing work on a fixed price arrangement so you've got plumbers dashing about trying to do however many properties a week. The plumbers just want the properties signed off. They don't really give a f***. If they've not got the right part they'll fit something as near as dammit (at least they did in mine and my neighbour's houses.

But, putting that anecdotal stuff to one side. You get your keys, you move in, there's no carpet, no lino, no curtains, no blinds, not even a bathroom mirror or a loo roll holder. I reckon I spent close to 10K to make the house liveable.
Persimmon homes on 08:29 - May 16 with 5806 viewsDr_Winston

I'd never buy a new build. Much, much better value older properties out there, even if some of them do need a bit of work.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Persimmon homes on 09:20 - May 16 with 5780 viewsSwaneeRiver

Went last week to look down Coed Darcy. typical new housing estate, although a few quirks thrown in.
The show house is a four bedroomed house that knocks your eyes out, but then if you go to look at the two or three bedroom houses straight after (not show houses, so what you see is what you get) the difference is obvious.
We were looking for an investment property but even the three bedrooms are very small.
The estate and infrastructure was I have been reliably informed planned by someone who doesn't drive - this becomes obvious when you drive up the narrow streets.
Better off buying a "nearly new" property in an established area.
For example on my road £165k buys you a lovely large three bedroomed house with a massive garden and garage. Easy reach of Liberty, M4, Neath and Swansea.
Persimmon homes on 10:16 - May 16 with 5751 viewsjedijack

I'd always go for a house in the best area you can afford, even if the house does need a bit of work.

I bought a lovely detached bungalow a few months back. The area, and house should have been out of my price range really but it needed a bit of modernisation. Looking at other properties on the street I underpaid 25 - 30k on it and bartered for 9k under the surveyors valuation. My property even has a lovely plot for an extension the others don't have

So far I've spent around 5k on rewiring (mates rates), plastering, kitchen and flooring. Been trying to do a lot of work myself, but seeing as I work in IT and never had to do this before has been difficult but hugely rewarding. That with the fact I've certainly added 15k onto the value of the house. (not that I intend moving, ever)

Be careful with what you choose, and as mentioned always go for the full (more expensive) survey. I almost bought a property at the end of last year until knotweed was spotted at the back of the garden and adjoining gardens. It was £500 down the drain but probably saved thousands in the long run.

Good luck, whatever you decide upon anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024