Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Google Chromecast 10:23 - Nov 16 with 3874 viewsWokingR

Has anyone on here got one, used one or happy to recommend one of these.
Daughter wants a telly in her room for Christmas and rather than forking out for yet another virgin media box thought this might be the answer. She could hopefully stream the virgin tv anywhere app straight to the telly and would give her far more choice than just freeview.
Any help appreciated as always
Google Chromecast on 10:43 - Nov 16 with 3851 viewsA40Bosh

Yes, but only got it in the last month.
Have used it in conjunction with Show Box and have streamed only about 3 films thus far but no complaints. As I have a 14yr old I just handed the box to her and told her to sort it out for us and it was done in about 20mins. I watched the Ron Howard Eight Days A Week Beatles film, the new Jason Bourne (had Far East subtitles, but saves me waiting for ever for Virgin to get it) and the new Star Trek. Once the film starts to load and play there were no interruptions and the quality to my eyes was perfectly acceptable, and I did not really notice anything different than if I had been watching them on Virgin Media or a DVD I suppose.

But as I say it is early days yet.

Something to be mindful of though is I noticed on Show Box that it has some VERY adult themed films on there and I am not sure of the potential risks of younger phone users who might use Show Box having unrestricted film choice when hidden away in their bedrooms.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Google Chromecast on 10:55 - Nov 16 with 3836 viewsrsonist

Are you sure that Virgin supports Chromecast? Haven't checked recently but it was my understanding that providers like Sky won't jeopardise multiroom revenue for precisely cases such as yours.

For supported services Chromecast is very good, simple as can be.
Google Chromecast on 11:02 - Nov 16 with 3828 viewsWokingR

Thanks for the advice guys especially the heads up about virgin media not supporting chromecast.
Google Chromecast on 11:44 - Nov 16 with 3786 viewsToast_R

I have one. It works okish.
You can stream from your phone easily enough with minimum messing around once youve downloaded the Chromecast App.
I tried straming BT Sports as I'm getting it free for 6 months with EE but the frame rate to the TV is p*ss poor.
Google Chromecast on 12:21 - Nov 16 with 3750 viewslondonscottish

In the last place I used a Chromecast (the oginial one which is for video streaming) and Chromecast Audio (the second one which is for music, obvs).

Well when I say I used the Chromecast (video) it was 99% used by the kids. I only used it a couple of times to stream the football from Sky via the Now TV app. Which worked fine.

As others have said it works for Chromecast enabled apps on your phone - so you can stream all sorts - iPlayer was popular with the kids, you tube, films, whatever.

I had Virgin TV but never tried that.

The neat thing about it is that it streams content straight from your router to the TV (NOT via your phone) and so your phone handset becomes a very useful remote control.

I liked the CC audio ones even more as I could stream hi bitrate Spotify music straight into an amp via an optical connection which (for a music addict) is just fantastic. So you can have a Sonos-like experience for peanuts.

BUT when I recently moved from one end of Willesden to the other I went from 150Mb/s of Virgin broadband to 15Mb/s of BT shit. Suddenly, streaming everything just didn't work so the Chromecasts are all in a cupboard for now. When (if?) BT ever get round to offering Infinity here i'll fire them up again as I really like the concept.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Google Chromecast on 12:28 - Nov 16 with 3742 viewslondonscottish

List of main apps here. No Virgin or Sky. I guess it would kill their multiroom revenues.

https://www.google.com/chromecast/tv/ultra/apps/

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Google Chromecast on 12:34 - Nov 16 with 3734 viewsOakR

Google Chromecast on 10:55 - Nov 16 by rsonist

Are you sure that Virgin supports Chromecast? Haven't checked recently but it was my understanding that providers like Sky won't jeopardise multiroom revenue for precisely cases such as yours.

For supported services Chromecast is very good, simple as can be.

Not idea re sky, but I get NOWTV periodically if there i a sporting even I want to watch, and I can broadcast that on the Chromecast. It's been set-up for a while now, and there are a limit to devices (PCs Laptops etc) you can use (4 I think) but Chromecast I believe counts as a device. I had to wait a month I think to add it as you are limited to one change per month.

I only really use it with youtube, 4OD, IPLayer, Netflix and I think it's works with Amazon but not 100% on the last one.

If you download Chromecast to your mobile I think you can see which apps it is compatible with.

For us, it works really well, very easy to set-up and you can take it with you if required and just hook it up to someone else's WIFI I believe.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Google Chromecast on 20:31 - Nov 16 with 3619 viewsted_hendrix

I decided about a Month ago to get into all this casting or mirroring malarkey.

I read the reviews on the google chromecast which were very positive so I got one, It took a while to link up to the Samsung smart tele thing but when It did link up its been excellent ever since click the icon on the laptop and there's my laptop screen on the television clear as day.

I also got the Amazon fire TV box (not the stick) and I also downloaded the superb Plex which works well with the Amazon fire tv box, the game controller operates the TV with ease.
As for Plex if anyone is thinking about getting it then do, It took all of my music/photo's DVD films organised them and puts them on my TV screen with ease, If I rip a DVD I'll sign into Plex and there it is in the Plex library.

Still finding my round it all at the moment but there's not a single cable connection anywhere now If were looking through old photo's it belts through them on the big screen in seconds and it plays our films effortlessly.

I've got a BT Broadband Infinity hub thing in the hall which is pretty good and all my walls in the house are solid block and brick.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Google Chromecast on 00:14 - Nov 17 with 3543 viewsCanadaRanger

I have the original Chromecast. No longer supported but still works fine. Occasionally the white LED on it turns red or red flashing and I have to unplug it and re-plug it. This is probably due to an upgrade coming in to it that the old version can't handle. You shouldn't have any problems with the new one. We stream movies from Netflix and YouTube via a Sony tablet computer to the TV no problem.
Google Chromecast on 05:09 - Jul 18 with 2935 viewsMessagesic

I have a Chromecast 2 and I just take it to cast DVD or online videos to my Sharp 4K TV. Some TV show, like Criminal Minds I have cast to my TV via Chromecast. Indeed, viewing on the big screen will get a better watching experience. If you want to get one, you can have a check on Amazon, Walmart. With Chromecast, you’ll first need to install the Google Home app on your phone or tablet and set it up before continuing. If you need more guidance on this, check https://www.howtogeek.com/237403/how-to-setup-your-new-chromecast/
If you need a guide on cast DVD movies, videos, TV shows, check this tutorial: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/google-chromecast.html
Hope you can get some help.
Google Chromecast (n/t) on 06:14 - Jul 18 with 2918 viewsSydneyRs

[Post edited 18 Jul 2017 6:21]
Google Chromecast on 06:21 - Jul 18 with 2913 viewsSydneyRs

Google Chromecast on 10:43 - Nov 16 by A40Bosh

Yes, but only got it in the last month.
Have used it in conjunction with Show Box and have streamed only about 3 films thus far but no complaints. As I have a 14yr old I just handed the box to her and told her to sort it out for us and it was done in about 20mins. I watched the Ron Howard Eight Days A Week Beatles film, the new Jason Bourne (had Far East subtitles, but saves me waiting for ever for Virgin to get it) and the new Star Trek. Once the film starts to load and play there were no interruptions and the quality to my eyes was perfectly acceptable, and I did not really notice anything different than if I had been watching them on Virgin Media or a DVD I suppose.

But as I say it is early days yet.

Something to be mindful of though is I noticed on Show Box that it has some VERY adult themed films on there and I am not sure of the potential risks of younger phone users who might use Show Box having unrestricted film choice when hidden away in their bedrooms.

Seems Show Box lives up to it's name then?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024