Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I maybe wrong... 20:23 - Jan 2 with 4591 viewscarlosthebulb

but was i seeing things when we were flagged for offside late on and the defender took the resulting free-kick at least 2 yards inside our half?

Bonkers decision
I maybe wrong... on 20:26 - Jan 2 with 4576 viewsBlackCrowe

You weren't. It was comical.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

I maybe wrong... on 20:30 - Jan 2 with 4558 viewscolinallcars

There has been a discussion on dotorg about this. Apparently the correct decision. Something about our player becoming active in our own half but it'sbeyond my understanding.
I maybe wrong... on 20:32 - Jan 2 with 4545 viewscarlosthebulb

I maybe wrong... on 20:30 - Jan 2 by colinallcars

There has been a discussion on dotorg about this. Apparently the correct decision. Something about our player becoming active in our own half but it'sbeyond my understanding.

that's mental
I maybe wrong... on 20:37 - Jan 2 with 4515 viewsozranger

No, and to beat Pinner, it is the law! This actually came in a little while ago, but unfortunately the punter has no knowledge. The real people to blame are the commentators who lack any real knowledge about the rules and thus convince us that what they believe is the truth. I was a little surprised that we took a free kick in a similar situation in our own half instead of in theirs.

So, to make this plain and simple, the rules now state: "In the event of an offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free kick to the opposing team to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 — Position of free kick)." That is, not where he was when the ball was played, but where he was when he interfered with play. This is part of Law 11, on pg. 36 of the current laws.
I maybe wrong... on 20:46 - Jan 2 with 4456 viewsWatford_Ranger

I appreciate I’m sadder than the average football fan on these things but I was a bit bemused that no one else including the players and management seemed to know about this rule at the time.
I maybe wrong... on 20:57 - Jan 2 with 4403 viewsLblock

See discussion on the Sky highlights thread

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

I maybe wrong... on 15:31 - Jan 3 with 4056 viewsdodge_stoke_r

I maybe wrong... on 20:37 - Jan 2 by ozranger

No, and to beat Pinner, it is the law! This actually came in a little while ago, but unfortunately the punter has no knowledge. The real people to blame are the commentators who lack any real knowledge about the rules and thus convince us that what they believe is the truth. I was a little surprised that we took a free kick in a similar situation in our own half instead of in theirs.

So, to make this plain and simple, the rules now state: "In the event of an offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free kick to the opposing team to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 — Position of free kick)." That is, not where he was when the ball was played, but where he was when he interfered with play. This is part of Law 11, on pg. 36 of the current laws.

It also says this:
Offside position
It is not an offence to be in an offside position.
A player is in an offside position if:
any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line)

But the later goes on to say:
If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play.
Which to me contradicts itself. Its no wonder we all scream at referees!
Its such a simple game, so why do people try to make it so difficult?
I maybe wrong... on 15:37 - Jan 3 with 4034 viewsPinnerPaul

I maybe wrong... on 20:37 - Jan 2 by ozranger

Yep spot on.

Commentators - Yes its ridiculous that those that earn a living from the game don't know the laws.

Guy Mowbray (BBC) actually said this when Man City player scored from rebound after a penalty kick recently.

'I don't THINK he was offside'

Bearing in mind you have to line up behind the kicker at a penalty kick, how the **** can ANYONE EVER be offside following up a spot kick?!!!!!!!! - astounding incompetence.
Login to get fewer ads

I maybe wrong... on 15:39 - Jan 3 with 4029 viewsNorthernr

I maybe wrong... on 15:37 - Jan 3 by PinnerPaul

Yep spot on.

Commentators - Yes its ridiculous that those that earn a living from the game don't know the laws.

Guy Mowbray (BBC) actually said this when Man City player scored from rebound after a penalty kick recently.

Bearing in mind you have to line up behind the kicker at a penalty kick, how the **** can ANYONE EVER be offside following up a spot kick?!!!!!!!! - astounding incompetence.

Kamara is the worst for this on Sunday morning. Slows everything down to frame by frame, goes for super zoom close ups and multiple angles to prove a referee who got one look at normal speed was in fact wrong, and when it comes to deliberate handball and offside he's got absolutely no idea of the rules himself.
I maybe wrong... on 15:45 - Jan 3 with 4013 viewsPinnerPaul

I maybe wrong... on 15:39 - Jan 3 by Northernr

Kamara is the worst for this on Sunday morning. Slows everything down to frame by frame, goes for super zoom close ups and multiple angles to prove a referee who got one look at normal speed was in fact wrong, and when it comes to deliberate handball and offside he's got absolutely no idea of the rules himself.

Moving away from the laws but staying on the bashing TV people theme!

Last nights MOTD made mention plenty of times about how SOME of the poor PL teams had to play two games with one day's rest in between.

The 'team' implied that Man City (with the best squad) should be able to cope and not moan about it.

Two things sprung to mind

1) ALL PL teams have a 25 man squad, so when teams moan about having a 'small' squad its a nonsense really and

2) No one in the studio mentioned that ALL 24 teams in the Championship , some of whom really DO have 'smaller' squads had to play two games in 3 days plus the other 2 festive games as well.
I maybe wrong... on 15:49 - Jan 3 with 3998 viewsPinnerPaul

In fairness I have to say the offside law has become ridiculously complicated & open to interpretation.

The Bournemouth goal v Arsenal was debated over pages and pages on RefChat & no consensus reached among refs who have officiated 1000's of games between us!

To expect some poor 'club lino' to know all the nuances of the law as I have to is a bit ridiculous really.
I maybe wrong... on 16:01 - Jan 3 with 3949 viewsEsox_Lucius

My first instinct at the game was scorn but quickly realised that the laws had changed and it was in fact one of the few good decisions taken by the officiating staff. I also spent about 20 minutes after the game in SA Road explaining it to some of my friends there and I am not convinced that they understood what I was telling them TBH. It's just another of those recent "tinkering" laws that don't improve the game in any shape or fashion; they should be a lot harder on diving and shirt pulling in the pen area instead IMO.

The grass is always greener.

I maybe wrong... on 16:04 - Jan 3 with 3945 viewsQPR_John

I maybe wrong... on 15:45 - Jan 3 by PinnerPaul

Moving away from the laws but staying on the bashing TV people theme!

Last nights MOTD made mention plenty of times about how SOME of the poor PL teams had to play two games with one day's rest in between.

The 'team' implied that Man City (with the best squad) should be able to cope and not moan about it.

Two things sprung to mind

1) ALL PL teams have a 25 man squad, so when teams moan about having a 'small' squad its a nonsense really and

2) No one in the studio mentioned that ALL 24 teams in the Championship , some of whom really DO have 'smaller' squads had to play two games in 3 days plus the other 2 festive games as well.

It could be argued that 'small' refers to the talent available. Most if not all secondary players in Manchester City's squad could do a job not I suspect the same for other teams
I maybe wrong... on 21:57 - Jan 3 with 3754 viewsdachiltern

I maybe wrong... on 15:37 - Jan 3 by PinnerPaul

Yep spot on.

Hmmm, ‘Those earning a living from the game don’t know the laws.’

Whatever next, referees sitting on MOTD explaining law and thus numbing pundits brains?
I maybe wrong... on 22:19 - Jan 3 with 3726 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

If we've got to the point where there are lots of people at all levels of the game that don't understand the rule. Then perhaps there's something wrong with the rule? I've read a few discussions on this now and I still don't really get it.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

I maybe wrong... on 22:55 - Jan 3 with 3651 viewsterryb

I maybe wrong... on 22:19 - Jan 3 by CliveWilsonSaid

If we've got to the point where there are lots of people at all levels of the game that don't understand the rule. Then perhaps there's something wrong with the rule? I've read a few discussions on this now and I still don't really get it.

The problem is that the general public were not informed & the chances of our commentators getting it right is very remote!

However, the free kick for offside will be taken from where he was when he played the ball.

Therefore, if he ran back from an offside position & touched the ball in his own half, the kick will be taken in the offending sides half.

I'm far from sure what difference this makes rather than have the free kick just inside your half though!
I maybe wrong... on 23:04 - Jan 3 with 3631 viewsqpr1976

Loads around me in Upper Loft were up in arms about it. Amazing how few people know the rules of the game, even more so how rarely the Authorities publicise them to avoid such confusion.
Rule was amended, see link and item clearing up offside. And comment from David Elleray, which should make it fair clear.

RULE CHANGES ? - http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/sport/football-rule-law-changes?utm_conte

Offside Rule Change - Elleray: “Part of the law book says when players commit an offside offence you give a free-kick where the offence occurred. The other part of the law book says you give a free-kick where the player was when he was in the offside position. So a player can actually move 20 yards from being in an offside position … and it is only the moment he plays the ball that he is penalised. The law tells you to give the free-kick in two different places.
“So, in future, the free-kick will always be given where he commits the offside offence, even if he is in his own half, because you cannot be in an offside position in your own half, but you can go back into your own half to commit an offside offence.”
I maybe wrong... on 15:32 - Jan 4 with 3433 viewsPinnerPaul

I maybe wrong... on 22:55 - Jan 3 by terryb

The problem is that the general public were not informed & the chances of our commentators getting it right is very remote!

However, the free kick for offside will be taken from where he was when he played the ball.

Therefore, if he ran back from an offside position & touched the ball in his own half, the kick will be taken in the offending sides half.

I'm far from sure what difference this makes rather than have the free kick just inside your half though!

Laughingly this was part of a remit to make the laws 'simpler' and more consistent.

In this case the logic is all fks are taken where the offence occurs (obviously!) so the same should apply to offside and as others have said the offence only happens once the player has touched the ball, even though he is only penalised because he was in oppo half when the ball was kicked!!!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024