Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players you were gutted to see leave 23:24 - Feb 17 with 10194 viewsFDC

Which players were you most disappointed to see leave the club?

Growing up, Sinton and Ferdinand were the players that broke my heart when they left. But in recent times Routledge is the one I was most gutted to see leave. He's the kind of player I just love to watch -- pacey, tricksy winger that whips balls in. And he left in a weird way, with no fanfare.

Players you were gutted to see leave on 08:13 - Feb 19 with 2146 viewsPommyhoop

Dave Thomas when I was a kid.

And Sir Les later on. oh and Paul Parker.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Players you were gutted to see leave on 09:33 - Feb 19 with 2098 viewsElHoop

Funnily enough when I saw the subject I thought of David Needham too.

I can't believe that we took him as a go-between from Notts County to Forest though. If the plan was to replace Frank McLintock then I'm bloody sure that the intended replacement was not Ernie Howe.

In the back of my mind is some quote from Clough to the effect that clubs in our position shouldn'tbe selling their best players, or something like that anyway. That came after he'd signed Needham anyway.

Other than him, I agree that Goddard was a strange one, but maybe that was Gregory paying for the new stands which I think happened at around that time didn't it?
Players you were gutted to see leave on 10:30 - Feb 19 with 2078 viewsCamberleyR

Players you were gutted to see leave on 09:33 - Feb 19 by ElHoop

Funnily enough when I saw the subject I thought of David Needham too.

I can't believe that we took him as a go-between from Notts County to Forest though. If the plan was to replace Frank McLintock then I'm bloody sure that the intended replacement was not Ernie Howe.

In the back of my mind is some quote from Clough to the effect that clubs in our position shouldn'tbe selling their best players, or something like that anyway. That came after he'd signed Needham anyway.

Other than him, I agree that Goddard was a strange one, but maybe that was Gregory paying for the new stands which I think happened at around that time didn't it?

Yeah, I think most of the Allen & Goddard money which was about £2m combined, paid for the School/Loft End improvements that happened in 1980/1981
[Post edited 19 Feb 2018 11:08]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Players you were gutted to see leave on 10:53 - Feb 19 with 2064 viewskingsburyR

The big two for me were Sinton and Trev.

Oddly felt almost hurt when both of these left.

Some players out grew us, accepted the likes of Les leaving us!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:12 - Feb 19 with 2013 viewsElHoop

Players you were gutted to see leave on 10:30 - Feb 19 by CamberleyR

Yeah, I think most of the Allen & Goddard money which was about £2m combined, paid for the School/Loft End improvements that happened in 1980/1981
[Post edited 19 Feb 2018 11:08]

Going off topic completely, but can you remember how much we paid for Allen when he came back from Palace? I've always had it in my head that we swapped him or something, and that we sold him twice for loads without ever really paying anything for him, but I might be wrong.
Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:56 - Feb 19 with 1972 viewsTheChef

Taarabt
Hill
Faurlin
Helguson

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:56 - Feb 19 with 1972 viewsCamberleyR

Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:12 - Feb 19 by ElHoop

Going off topic completely, but can you remember how much we paid for Allen when he came back from Palace? I've always had it in my head that we swapped him or something, and that we sold him twice for loads without ever really paying anything for him, but I might be wrong.

From the excellent qprnet.com site, the stats files that are on there say we paid £475K for him in May 1981 from Palace. Sold him to Spurs three yeas later for £700K.

Sold him initially to Arsenal for £1.2m in summer 1980 who almost immediately swapped him for Kenny Sansom from Palace.

Players you were gutted to see leave on 13:02 - Feb 19 with 1967 views2Thomas2Bowles

Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:56 - Feb 19 by CamberleyR

From the excellent qprnet.com site, the stats files that are on there say we paid £475K for him in May 1981 from Palace. Sold him to Spurs three yeas later for £700K.

Sold him initially to Arsenal for £1.2m in summer 1980 who almost immediately swapped him for Kenny Sansom from Palace.

The only player we have made a profit from twice?

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Login to get fewer ads

Players you were gutted to see leave on 13:12 - Feb 19 with 1948 viewslongbottom

Players you were gutted to see leave on 13:02 - Feb 19 by 2Thomas2Bowles

The only player we have made a profit from twice?

Mark Lazarus shirley?
Players you were gutted to see leave on 13:14 - Feb 19 with 1944 viewsElHoop

Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:56 - Feb 19 by CamberleyR

I'm sure that there was more to it than that. We really shafted Palace quite badly at that time, well Venables did. I'm not sure that one club has ever comprehensively shafted another in quite the same way as we did back then.

Trying to find the answer on Allen is difficult, but Googling around it might have been Wicks who went the other way when we resigned Allen, and then we ended up signing back Wicks as well for not much money. So in a way we didn't really pay anything in the end, if that's how it was. It was totally bonkers if you are a Palace fan.

And we also paid them £100k for Fenwick at some stage!
Players you were gutted to see leave on 13:30 - Feb 19 with 1926 viewsennisR

Steve Wicks, I even wrote a letter to the club begging them to change their minds!!
Players you were gutted to see leave on 13:41 - Feb 19 with 1917 viewsCamberleyR

Players you were gutted to see leave on 13:14 - Feb 19 by ElHoop

I'm sure that there was more to it than that. We really shafted Palace quite badly at that time, well Venables did. I'm not sure that one club has ever comprehensively shafted another in quite the same way as we did back then.

Trying to find the answer on Allen is difficult, but Googling around it might have been Wicks who went the other way when we resigned Allen, and then we ended up signing back Wicks as well for not much money. So in a way we didn't really pay anything in the end, if that's how it was. It was totally bonkers if you are a Palace fan.

And we also paid them £100k for Fenwick at some stage!

The qprnet.com site says we signed Wicks (for the second time) in March 1982 from Palace for £325K however the ever reliable Wiki says we sold him to Palace in 1981 and bought him back sometime later the same year.

I think I would tend to believe qprnet.com as their stats files are a series of Excel spreadsheets that have tabs for among other things match results and lineups for each match. In their it says Wicksy made his second debut for us in a 1-0 defeat at Rotherham on March 27th two days after signing.

You're right in that Venners absolutely gutted Palace for their best players when he became manager; Burridge, Francis, Fenwick, Flanagan, Sealy, Allen, Wicks . The first six all in the space of about six months from taking over.

Players you were gutted to see leave on 14:00 - Feb 19 with 1902 viewsMick_S

Players you were gutted to see leave on 13:12 - Feb 19 by longbottom

Mark Lazarus shirley?

Chapeaux duly doffed.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Players you were gutted to see leave on 14:02 - Feb 19 with 1897 viewsElHoop

Players you were gutted to see leave on 13:41 - Feb 19 by CamberleyR

The qprnet.com site says we signed Wicks (for the second time) in March 1982 from Palace for £325K however the ever reliable Wiki says we sold him to Palace in 1981 and bought him back sometime later the same year.

I think I would tend to believe qprnet.com as their stats files are a series of Excel spreadsheets that have tabs for among other things match results and lineups for each match. In their it says Wicksy made his second debut for us in a 1-0 defeat at Rotherham on March 27th two days after signing.

You're right in that Venners absolutely gutted Palace for their best players when he became manager; Burridge, Francis, Fenwick, Flanagan, Sealy, Allen, Wicks . The first six all in the space of about six months from taking over.

We didn't have Wicks in 1981/82 I'm pretty sure. When Roeder was suspended for the cup final replay I think that's when Fenwick moved over and Neill came in. I'm sure that Wicks wasn't around at all.

So OK - we effectively paid £325k for two lots of Clive Allen, who we sold for a total of £2m. Meanwhile Palace in the end received £325k for Kenny Sansom.
Players you were gutted to see leave on 14:58 - Feb 19 with 1857 viewsNov77

Players you were gutted to see leave on 14:02 - Feb 19 by ElHoop

We didn't have Wicks in 1981/82 I'm pretty sure. When Roeder was suspended for the cup final replay I think that's when Fenwick moved over and Neill came in. I'm sure that Wicks wasn't around at all.

So OK - we effectively paid £325k for two lots of Clive Allen, who we sold for a total of £2m. Meanwhile Palace in the end received £325k for Kenny Sansom.

wicks played for Palace against us in the FA cup quarter final!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Players you were gutted to see leave on 15:18 - Feb 19 with 1845 viewsCamberleyR

Players you were gutted to see leave on 14:58 - Feb 19 by Nov77

wicks played for Palace against us in the FA cup quarter final!

And left a couple of weeks later to sign for us but as you state he played for Palace in the Cup so was cup tied for us.

http://qprnet.com/misc/seasonalstats/excels/QPR1981.xls

Players you were gutted to see leave on 15:47 - Feb 19 with 1824 viewsElHoop

Players you were gutted to see leave on 15:18 - Feb 19 by CamberleyR

And left a couple of weeks later to sign for us but as you state he played for Palace in the Cup so was cup tied for us.

http://qprnet.com/misc/seasonalstats/excels/QPR1981.xls

Oh right, so Wicks was around at the end of the season then - I'd forgotten that.
I never thought that Venables really fancied Hazell and Roeder - he inherited them and did well with them but they weren't exactly his sort I didn't think. Wicks was very good in his day - very calm and strong - fitted well with Fenwick. We had some fantastic centre backs from the 70's through to the mid 90's. Parker was obviously a loss but Maddix did step up and do a very decent job.
Players you were gutted to see leave on 16:36 - Feb 19 with 1798 viewsEsox_Lucius

Latterly Charlie Austin, Loic Remy & Tjarron Chery were missed by me, along with a few loanees; Taye Taiwo, Kyle Walker and Andros Townsend.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2018 16:39]

The grass is always greener.

Players you were gutted to see leave on 16:06 - Feb 20 with 1598 viewsqprphil

Going back a bit I know but Clive Clark to WBA. Phil Parkes, Stan Bowles, Dave Thomas.
Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:05 - Feb 21 with 1516 viewsTheBlob

Paolo Wanchope.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:19 - Feb 21 with 1507 viewsCamberleyR

Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:05 - Feb 21 by TheBlob

Paolo Wanchope.

Stewart Houston wasn't.

Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:33 - Feb 21 with 1498 viewsTheBlob

Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:19 - Feb 21 by CamberleyR

Stewart Houston wasn't.

Please don't mention that name mate - trying to have some lunch.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Players you were gutted to see leave on 12:36 - Feb 21 with 1494 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Lee Cook, though I didn't know that injury had fooked him.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Players you were gutted to see leave on 13:40 - Feb 21 with 1437 viewsFleckers86

The only time I have been genuinely gutted for anyone to leave QPR was Gerry Francis as manager in 1994-95. Even as a young fan then, you knew that the good times were over and so it subsequently played out.
I think that most of QPR's problems for the next 10 years after that can all be linked back to that day.
Players you were gutted to see leave on 14:07 - Feb 21 with 1405 viewsFDC

Players you were gutted to see leave on 13:40 - Feb 21 by Fleckers86

The only time I have been genuinely gutted for anyone to leave QPR was Gerry Francis as manager in 1994-95. Even as a young fan then, you knew that the good times were over and so it subsequently played out.
I think that most of QPR's problems for the next 10 years after that can all be linked back to that day.

I remember being in school and my PE teacher and fellow R calling me over to solemnly break that news to me. Like you say, there was an unspoken understanding that it was a seismic moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024