Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best and worst gigs you've attended 16:39 - Apr 7 with 13918 viewsQPRSteve

For me, my best gig has to be Thin Lizzy at the Marquee in the early 70's. A rumour went round that Gary Moore (then of Skid Row) was filling in for Eric Bell who was ill. I later heard there was around 900 people there in a club that was only supposed to hold around 300. Fantastic atmosphere.

A close second was seeing a then unknown Clannad performing in the foyer of Wandsworth Town Hall to an audience of no more than around 20.

Worst gig has to be Devo at the then Hammersmith Odeon that a friend persuaded me to take my girlfriend to. Spent most of the concert watching them on a screen before they finally graced us with their presence on stage for a whole 20 minutes! What a pile of crap they were too.
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 21:32 - Mar 13 with 950 viewsStanFan

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 18:43 - Apr 7 by ted_hendrix

I've got numerous best gigs but the one that stands out (just) was the band Free early Seventies, they were fcing awesome as was the late Paul Kossoff their guitarist, he 'owned' his fretboard and could hold a note, bend it, trill it for as long as he saw fit, a true blues guitarist.
None of the following gigs disappointed and all stood out; ZZ Top (Brixton Academy) Hawkwind (Reading Top Rank) AC/DC (Wembley Stadium) Ten Years After (Reading Uni) Rolling Stones (Wembley & Twickers). Ray Davies (one man show) had a backing band and he/they sang all of the Kinks songs, in between songs though Ray would tell stories about the Kinks, it wasn't what I was expecting but turned out to be a brilliant evening. (Who the fck don't love the legendary Kinks?) special mention for Dave Gilmour and Joe Walsh who I saw at the Strat Pack Wembley arena).

Worst Gigs.

Velvet Revolver at the Hammersmith Apollo, disappointing sound and all round gig, happy enough to have seen Slash live but the gig was a huge let down.
Bob Dylan, I'm a massive fan of his but his gig at Wembley Arena wasn't that great, his backing band were bloody good but Dylan himself seemed to be going through the motions and you kind of felt he didn't want to be there.
Clannad or Enya or whatever they are called at Readings Hexagon, bit of a family get together at a gig so I went to 'keep the peace' After sitting through the first two songs of someone warbling about trees and dolphins I walked out. Each to their own and all that but it was agony. Plenty of verbals from the Missus on the way home which sounded much better than the gig.

Would have loved to see Free in their prime. Was just a year or two too young so it was just the albums and a few bootleg tapes for me. Still love their music.
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 21:47 - Mar 13 with 923 viewsHoosWho

I’ve seen The Cure many times over the last 35 years, always great. Elbow and James similar.

My two worst gigs by a country mile, Stone Roses at Wembley, they were clearly disinterested, Ian Brown had long since had lost his voice, just awful walked out. Also, Maroon 5 Wembley Arena, barely spoke to the audience, played their formulaic crap set and only at the very end, when they were filming a video for what was to be their new single, did they bother to interact with the audience as they wanted to film the crowd all hyped up. Utter rubbish, didn’t help that I can’t stand the band I suppose.
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 10:25 - Mar 14 with 805 viewsBrisbaneR

Most unexpectedly loud was The Proclaimers concert...can't remember the London venue but it was packed, and never have two men with a guitar and tambourine made such a sound...great night.

A couple of Pogues concerts from the same era also rank right up there (Brixton Acadamy Paddys Day 88 was mentioned), and anything that Billy Bragg did into to the late 80's was fantastic. Love it when the crowd harmonises with the singer...
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 14:00 - Mar 14 with 720 viewsNewYorkRanger

Best: Guns n Roses Wembley Stadium 1992
Worst: Guns n Roses Milton Keynes Bowl 1993

Seen GnR loads of times but by 93 they'd been on the road for almost 3 years straight and were clearly phoning it in. I think Izzy had left by that point and they were just so disappointing.

They also played Wembley in 91 (all part of the same tour) but in 92 they had Soundgarden and Faith No More supporting which was a very decent line up. Me and my mates ended up in the Wembley Tandoori afterwards even though that meant no way of getting home. Ah to be young and not giving a sh*t!

Glory hunter, me

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 15:28 - Mar 14 with 680 viewsEsox_Lucius

Best: Roundhouse Chalk Farm 1971. The Who topped the bill and were imperious but 2nd on the bill was Elton John, Dee Murray, Nigel Olsson & Bernie Taupin.
Worst: Toss up between Magic Micheal, supporting Hawkwind, who was thrown off the stage by security once the crowd stated booing him and his response was to set fire to the stage or Airborne (winners of some tv talent show) at the Hamborough Tavern Southall who sparked a pitched battle inside the pub when the regulars started telling them to shut the fück up and get out and the bands response was for the bass player to unhook his guitar strap and smash the bass into someone's face.

The grass is always greener.

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 16:51 - Mar 14 with 613 viewsSK_hoops

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 14:00 - Mar 14 by NewYorkRanger

Best: Guns n Roses Wembley Stadium 1992
Worst: Guns n Roses Milton Keynes Bowl 1993

Seen GnR loads of times but by 93 they'd been on the road for almost 3 years straight and were clearly phoning it in. I think Izzy had left by that point and they were just so disappointing.

They also played Wembley in 91 (all part of the same tour) but in 92 they had Soundgarden and Faith No More supporting which was a very decent line up. Me and my mates ended up in the Wembley Tandoori afterwards even though that meant no way of getting home. Ah to be young and not giving a sh*t!

I think that 91 gig was the one where (the relatively unknown) Nine Inch Nails supported them. They sold something like 4 shirts and got a chorus of boos throughout their entire set.

I'd have rather seen NIN myself.
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 22:50 - Mar 18 with 494 viewsSteveB

Went to see Amy Winehouse at Festival City Dubai, 13th Feb 2011 - VIP section (Valentines gift for my wife) Amy, well she kept walking off stage & was clearly distressed. Very pissed probably. It was truly awful. Except for 1 song, "You know I'm No Good", it was an awful concert - that 1 song though - wow.

She died less than 4 months later. It was her 2nd last concert and she was booed off stage.

Best & worst concert I ever went to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024