Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best and worst gigs you've attended 16:39 - Apr 7 with 13942 viewsQPRSteve

For me, my best gig has to be Thin Lizzy at the Marquee in the early 70's. A rumour went round that Gary Moore (then of Skid Row) was filling in for Eric Bell who was ill. I later heard there was around 900 people there in a club that was only supposed to hold around 300. Fantastic atmosphere.

A close second was seeing a then unknown Clannad performing in the foyer of Wandsworth Town Hall to an audience of no more than around 20.

Worst gig has to be Devo at the then Hammersmith Odeon that a friend persuaded me to take my girlfriend to. Spent most of the concert watching them on a screen before they finally graced us with their presence on stage for a whole 20 minutes! What a pile of crap they were too.
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 17:57 - Apr 10 with 2682 viewsstowmarketrange

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 17:50 - Apr 10 by Paddyhoops

You must be a lot younger than me Stow.
I'm talking 20 years ago.
A great venue by the way. Brixton.
Saw The the at the same venue not long after that .

I’ve been to more gigs in the last 9 years than I ever saw in the previous 50 years.They were good that night too.
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 10:43 - Apr 11 with 2591 viewsonlyrinmoray

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 15:57 - Apr 8 by QPRSteve

My first proper job after Uni was in the Civil Service in Chancery Lane where I worked for a while with Cha Burns. He was in the process of forming Fingerprintz at the time and I saw their first gig in a room above a pub in Putney.

Porcupine Tree - one of the only bands post 1975 that I've actually liked!
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 16:00]

Cha was an excellent guitarist for the Silencers a very underated band IMO. He passed away a few years ago. Porcupine tree were a great band first heard them on The Bob Harris show he played Trains. Ive been hooked on them and Steven Wilson ever since
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 16:23 - Apr 11 with 2527 viewsMetallica_Hoop

So many amazing gigs I couldn't pick one.

Megdeth at the Astoria 2007 was pretty special was one massive long mosh at the front (I was 3 rows back right in the middle of it)
The mighty Carcass at the Underworld in 2013 for £5 a ticket was awesome.

Epica and Revamp at La Scala in 2009/10 was superb two amazing bands and female singers at their best and Floor touched my arm on the way past. (Brucie bonus)

The worst was Iron Maiden at Earls Court in about 2002. It wasn't their fault though. I've seen them live so many times and they are always brilliant but the top of Earl's court is concrete it was the first time I'd seen a gig up there (and the last) it was like an echo chamber. Percussion like somebody hitting bottles in a garage randomly.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 18:35 - Apr 11 with 2502 viewsRebalhoop

Nazareth at Slough Fulcrum Center,must of only been about 20 people,
Was going to see The Sex Pistols at the Nags Head in High Wycombe,but when the bus stopped outside,and I saw the state of the mob outside,I bottled it and went home.
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 10:44 - Apr 12 with 2431 viewshubble

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 18:35 - Apr 11 by Rebalhoop

Nazareth at Slough Fulcrum Center,must of only been about 20 people,
Was going to see The Sex Pistols at the Nags Head in High Wycombe,but when the bus stopped outside,and I saw the state of the mob outside,I bottled it and went home.

I did the same - bottled it on my way to see the Pistols at Brunel University. I was still at school at the time to be fair, but I've regretted it ever since. Likewise the Jam, who had a residency at the Red Cow in Hammersmith, my schoolmates saw them there several times before anyone knew about them and told me how fantastic those early gigs were. I just couldn't be arsed to go. We could start another thread, the best gigs you bottled going to!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 21:54 - Apr 13 with 2369 viewsTacticalR

Elvis Costello & Squeeze, benefit gig for boxer Johnny Owen, Top Rank, Swansea, 1980
Suede, Colosseum, Watford, 1995
Cubanismo and Compay Segundo, Royal Festival Hall, 1997 (Compay Segundo was 90, but still going strong)

I think the worst one was REM at the National Bowl, Milton Keynes, 1995. My brother was a big REM fan so I bought tickets for their planned gig at Wembley Arena (in those pre-internet booking days you had to queue for ages outside Wembley to get the tickets). However, that gig was cancelled when drummer Bill Berry collapsed on stage during the tour in March. The tour resumed and we went to the rescheduled concert at the open-air National Bowl in July. It was baking hot, we were miles from the stage, couldn't hear much, and it was the journey from hell getting back as thousands of people swamped Milton Keynes station.

Air hostess clique

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 21:56 - Apr 13 with 2365 viewsbosh67

Best gig: Thin Lizzy
Worst gig: Lyn Fizzy (she was terrible)

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 22:27 - Apr 13 with 2322 viewsdanehoop

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 21:54 - Apr 13 by TacticalR

Elvis Costello & Squeeze, benefit gig for boxer Johnny Owen, Top Rank, Swansea, 1980
Suede, Colosseum, Watford, 1995
Cubanismo and Compay Segundo, Royal Festival Hall, 1997 (Compay Segundo was 90, but still going strong)

I think the worst one was REM at the National Bowl, Milton Keynes, 1995. My brother was a big REM fan so I bought tickets for their planned gig at Wembley Arena (in those pre-internet booking days you had to queue for ages outside Wembley to get the tickets). However, that gig was cancelled when drummer Bill Berry collapsed on stage during the tour in March. The tour resumed and we went to the rescheduled concert at the open-air National Bowl in July. It was baking hot, we were miles from the stage, couldn't hear much, and it was the journey from hell getting back as thousands of people swamped Milton Keynes station.

I think that REM must just suck when they play in Milton Keynes.

I went to see U2 at the Longest Day Tour in June 1985, they were great and the support bands through the day were pretty damn good, Ramones, Spear of Destiny, Faith Brothers, Billy Bragg all absolutely spot on, U2 had just released Unforgettable Fire and starting to really get to their best.

On the down side, REM were also just starting to get big in the US, but didnt really get going at the gig at all. Turned in one of worst performances I'd seen, no idea why it didnt work for them as the crowd were until that point pretty relaxed and listening to what was a very eclectic bill. They were pretty much bottled off stage by an increasingly intolerant crowd. That was the downside to any concert at the Milton Keynes Bowl is that is a pretty average venue that is a nightmare to get back from in 1985.

Never knowingly understood

Login to get fewer ads

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 22:33 - Apr 13 with 2321 viewstimjones

Best gig: The Boomtown Rats at Brunel University in 1982. Hall was jam-packed - standing only - I was near the front and nearly lost my shoe which was admittedly a little scary, but great gig. Afterwards had to walk between a group of punks and skinheads which was errm interesting ......Stan Ridgeway-a one hit wonder with ‘Camouflage” (good song) supported. The Who in 1989 at Wembley Arena also stood out.....worst gig was Transvision Vamp at Hammersmith.
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 00:38 - Apr 14 with 2286 viewsqueensparker

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 17:24 - Apr 7 by charmr

Brilliant idea for a thread

Up there is the Idles here in Baltimore not that long ago, blew me away. Immense Rock and Roll show.

Most disappointing was the smiths at Brixton Academy. Think it was one of their last gigs before Johnny pulled the plug. Makes sense now

Honorable mention, James also at Brixton Academy. The band couldn’t start playing their next song(s) because the audience wouldn’t stop cheering and clapping after they finished their Previous song. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 17:28]

I was at that James gig. They get forgotten about these days when people talk about Madchester / indie / Britpop era but they were absolutely incredible live and were were one of the biggest bands around in the early 90s. Great T shirts too.

Best for me is a toss up between Stone Roses at an all-nighter at Brixton Academy when the second album came out, New Order at Reading in 1993 (had been wanting to see them play live forever and they finally did), Super Furry Animals at Glastonbury in I think 2002 (pupils were so dilated I went blind during the light show at the finale) and Sonic Youth at Brixton in 1991-ish (had to go on my own as nobody I knew liked them but they were brilliant).

Can't think of a gig that has been truly bad but can remember many many club nights where I had to go with a mob of mates and listen to hours of nosebleed fairground Euro techno or handbag house both of which I f--king hated.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2020 0:45]
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 02:02 - Apr 14 with 2277 viewsBoston

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 21:16 - Apr 7 by easthertsr

Deep Purple Rainbow Finsbury Park early seventies just absolutely fu*kin brilliant and the loudest thing I've ever heard! X)

Loudest gigs - I just about remember being at what was billed the loudest ever...1981, Motorhead, Port Vale. Helluva day, so drunk. There was an issue with alcohol, no beer being sold in the ground I think. Myself and my mates were mainly 'football', knew our way around a ground and loaded up - already pie eyed, we went down the local supermarket, bought f knows how many gallons of orange juice, then to the nearest pub where the management poured away the citrus alternative, washed the containers and filled 'em up! Paid the barman for a lift to the ground, quick recce of the fences then sent four of the lads the other side of the barbed wire. Pitched every one of them over with no casualties, mind you, Cricklewood's finest, Gibbo and Holly had to display a little muscle to hang on to them until we got in. On to the winners enclosure, middle of the field, we'd brought a small tarp to keep dry, forgetting that vomit would linger on such material, so wasted a few pints cleaning up. Not sure how I got home from Stoke.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 09:10 - Apr 14 with 2201 viewsStevenageRanger

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 02:02 - Apr 14 by Boston

Loudest gigs - I just about remember being at what was billed the loudest ever...1981, Motorhead, Port Vale. Helluva day, so drunk. There was an issue with alcohol, no beer being sold in the ground I think. Myself and my mates were mainly 'football', knew our way around a ground and loaded up - already pie eyed, we went down the local supermarket, bought f knows how many gallons of orange juice, then to the nearest pub where the management poured away the citrus alternative, washed the containers and filled 'em up! Paid the barman for a lift to the ground, quick recce of the fences then sent four of the lads the other side of the barbed wire. Pitched every one of them over with no casualties, mind you, Cricklewood's finest, Gibbo and Holly had to display a little muscle to hang on to them until we got in. On to the winners enclosure, middle of the field, we'd brought a small tarp to keep dry, forgetting that vomit would linger on such material, so wasted a few pints cleaning up. Not sure how I got home from Stoke.

Went to loads of gigs as a teenager with my Dad who was/is big into Soul/Funk.

My first gig at Ham Odeon when I was 11 was also my loudest. Cameo.

After that I see Fatback, Maze, Teena Marie, Melisa Morgan, Guy, Keith Sweat, Freddie Jackson, Jean Carne, Will Downing, Mica Paris, Alex O Neal, Atlantic Starr (plus others I have probably forgot!) all before I was 17.

Best out of all those was Maze, worst I struggle with as enjoyed all, but least memorable was probably either Will Downing or Mica Paris
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 11:10 - Apr 14 with 2170 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Great thread!

Too many to mention, I prefer my gigs in smaller venues and have seen some great acts in places like the Black Heart in Camden and the Windmill in Brixton. But some of the most memorable was Metallica at Earl's Court in 1996 when Metallica Hoop and yours truly almost caused a riot in the queue outside when we jumped queue to join my then girlfriend's sister. Great gig too. Honourable mentions go to Tool at the Brixton Academy and my first ever gig which was Napalm Death at the Marquee in 1994 on my a tab of acid (my first and last!). Also saw Ennio Morricone at the Royal Albert Hall which was tremendous - thanks 'Talli Hoop.

Worst? Iron Maiden at the O2 in 2018 simply because I'd seen them there a few years earlier and the later gig paled into comparison for me personally...
@ Metallica Hoop - thought you would've mentioned Zoltan at the Black Heart during Desertfest. One was not impressed as I recall
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 12:31 - Apr 14 with 2148 viewsqueensparker

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 02:02 - Apr 14 by Boston

The loudest gig I’ve been to was Leftfield by some distance. Pretty sure I lost a fair chunk of my hearing that night
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 12:41 - Apr 14 with 2139 viewsBoston

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 10:44 - Apr 12 by hubble

I did the same - bottled it on my way to see the Pistols at Brunel University. I was still at school at the time to be fair, but I've regretted it ever since. Likewise the Jam, who had a residency at the Red Cow in Hammersmith, my schoolmates saw them there several times before anyone knew about them and told me how fantastic those early gigs were. I just couldn't be arsed to go. We could start another thread, the best gigs you bottled going to!

We broke into the Brunel for that one.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 12:46 - Apr 14 with 2134 viewsSilverfoxqpr

So many gigs the last 35 years so very difficult to pick one. That said the Butthole Surfers at Reading in 1989 is definitely top 10. Totally out of control, unpredictable mayhem, just awesome. Funnily enough The Fall would be up there for both the best and worst ever, wouldn't have it any other way.
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 10:06 - Apr 15 with 2069 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 11:10 - Apr 14 by Orthodox_Hoop

Great thread!

Too many to mention, I prefer my gigs in smaller venues and have seen some great acts in places like the Black Heart in Camden and the Windmill in Brixton. But some of the most memorable was Metallica at Earl's Court in 1996 when Metallica Hoop and yours truly almost caused a riot in the queue outside when we jumped queue to join my then girlfriend's sister. Great gig too. Honourable mentions go to Tool at the Brixton Academy and my first ever gig which was Napalm Death at the Marquee in 1994 on my a tab of acid (my first and last!). Also saw Ennio Morricone at the Royal Albert Hall which was tremendous - thanks 'Talli Hoop.

Worst? Iron Maiden at the O2 in 2018 simply because I'd seen them there a few years earlier and the later gig paled into comparison for me personally...
@ Metallica Hoop - thought you would've mentioned Zoltan at the Black Heart during Desertfest. One was not impressed as I recall

That Metallica at Earl's Court was hilarious, everyone followed us! I can't believe no one said a word. still 2nd row back from the front.
We did our Karma re-compense by protecting that girl who couldn't breathe then chucking her over the crowd to the first aid.

Turned out nice again.

I was going to mention Zoltan but it wouldn't be fair because they were very talented and the gig was fine but someone with two mugues and a base/guitar player just wasn't doing it for me.

From the youtube:

Genre/Style: Progressive Electronic, Progressive Rock, Horror Synth, Instrumental.

Actually the album sounds better than what I remember.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 22:38 - Apr 15 with 2019 viewsRangersDave

My ex partners female friend recounted to me the day she fcuk'd up walking to the NK Bowl, her and 2 female friends are simply walking a couple of miles from the gig and up draws a black limo. the girls stop and the rear window winds down and a chap leans out of the window as says 'hi girls, any idea to get to the bowl'?
'They say yes, just follow this road and you cannot miss it.'
He then says "do you want a lift"?
They look at each other, the big black tinted windows limo, and say 'no',
"ok, have fun, see you at the gig" says David Bowie, and drives off.
The girls really didnt click until the car was 100 yards further down the road. lol

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 00:28 - Mar 13 with 1182 viewsBluce_Ree

Just back from Killing Joke at the Albert Hall. Much better than they've been in a few years. Drummer was amazing.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 07:15 - Mar 13 with 1051 viewsRs_Holy

Best - Dire Straits at Woburn Abbey 20 June 1992

Worst - REM at the Milton Keynes Bowl 22 June 1985 (weather didn’t help mind).
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 09:02 - Mar 13 with 984 viewswombat

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 07:15 - Mar 13 by Rs_Holy

Best - Dire Straits at Woburn Abbey 20 June 1992

Worst - REM at the Milton Keynes Bowl 22 June 1985 (weather didn’t help mind).

where do you start on this one
Best Gig ,Oasis at wembley stadium ,
Foo Fighters cosmopolitan hotel las vegas new years eve few years ago, small venue in the basment of a hotel prob 2k in there amazing gig.
Kasabian ally pally recently brilliant live band
springstein wembley stadium 4th of july tour

worst gig
5 star hammersmith appllo

special mention to blowing off LIVE AID as couldnt be bothered going as thought it would be crap !

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 10:13 - Mar 13 with 947 viewsHayesender

Best has gotta be Madness at Finsbury Park in 92, the one where Morrissey got the hump and stormed off after three songs.

Unfortunately the worst is also Madness a couple of years ago in Minehead. I walked out of there thinking they need to give it up now

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 13:26 - Mar 13 with 862 viewsbollockchops

The Pogues at Finsbury Park , Mantronix at The Hacienda , Thin Lizzy at MK Bowl . Happy Mondays GMEX , New Order all over

and the worst was being on the guest list for BAD and not going due to too much fun the night before !
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 15:03 - Mar 13 with 799 viewsbaz_qpr

Best - (Sorry Tim) My Bloody Valentine @Reading University 1992 spur of the moment decision, ears ringing for days + Stone Roses reunion at Heaton Park 2012, Michael Kiwanuka Ally Pally 2022 much delayed home coming gig was just out of this world

Worst - Morrisey - Wembley Arena 1991 we walked out it was all Rockabilly and half-arsed never been so disappointed. Primal Scream - 1991. Screamadelica tour, just could not play the songs Simple Minds Wembley Arena 1989, Again could not play the songs super disappointing
Best and worst gigs you've attended on 21:23 - Mar 13 with 690 viewshantssi

Best and worst gigs you've attended on 10:13 - Mar 13 by Hayesender

Best has gotta be Madness at Finsbury Park in 92, the one where Morrissey got the hump and stormed off after three songs.

Unfortunately the worst is also Madness a couple of years ago in Minehead. I walked out of there thinking they need to give it up now

Agree with you about Madness, saw them at Victorious a couple of years ago, dreadful, not sure if they were drunk or just truly bad!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024