Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bob Dylan 15:02 - Apr 14 with 4790 viewsjohann28

Any fans out there? Would be interested to hear your top 5, and reasons. Rules: one song per album.

Mine are:

* Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands (1966). Perfection. Elgeiac, wistful, beautiful. I would defy you to find 11 minutes of 'popular' music more poignant.

* Desolation Row (1965). Lyrically up there with TS Eliot and Thomas Hardy. Stark and oppressive, but lures you into to its hypnotic melody.

* Tangled Up In Blue (1975). Probably the best 'ending of relationship' song ever written. Unbearably sad.

* With God on our Side (1963). Voltaire: 'Good people do bad things, bad people do bad things. It takes religion for otherwise good people to do bad things.'

* Sara (1976). Probably the second best 'ending of relationship' song. Rips your guts out.

[Post edited 14 Apr 2020 15:03]
Bob Dylan on 15:24 - Apr 14 with 3893 viewsterryb

With God on our side is my favourite, but I do prefer it being performed by Manfred Man. Paul Jones gave an excellant rendition!
Bob Dylan on 15:49 - Apr 14 with 3874 viewsted_hendrix

1) "Like a Rolling Stone" awesome and typical Dylan lyrics, in addition although I normally haven't got time for 'covers' Hendrix's live version is bloody awesome especially his guitar intro and introduction when he mentions Bob Dylan.

2) "Mr. Tambourine Man" Heard The Byrds version and thought that was excellent before realizing it was a Dylan song, Dylan's version is superior (IMO)

3) "Subterranean Homesick Blues" Any song that starts with the lyrics "Johnny's in the basement Mixing up the medicine I'm on the pavement Thinking about the government" has got to be good and it is.

4) "Song To Woody" I'm a fan of Woody Guthrie and his politics so that's why, sort of mutual respect between two artists.

5) "One Of Us Must Know" Again excellent lyrics and just a great, great song.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Bob Dylan on 16:59 - Apr 14 with 3861 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Remember hearing Hurricane and thinking "it's a great song, but it's political?" and not being able to reconcile the two sides of the song.

Love a lot from that era like Jokerman and Dignity, but there is such a huge catalogue of brilliant songs across so much time
Bob Dylan on 17:11 - Apr 14 with 3848 viewsBlackCrowe

Tangled Up In Blue
Lay Lady Lay
Tell Me That Isn't True
A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall
All Along The Watchtower

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Bob Dylan on 20:49 - Apr 14 with 3792 viewsToast_R

Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (Especially the Live 66 Bootleg version)
Positively 4th Street
It aint me Babe
Isis
Spanish Harlem Incident

Wonderful things and so so many more.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2020 20:50]
Bob Dylan on 21:12 - Apr 14 with 3769 viewsCiderwithRsie

Quite an interesting Top 50 in The Grauniad recently, which had a few decent entries from After I Stopped Listening

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/09/bob-dylans-50-greatest-songs-ranke

Until I was about 35 I thought he was a whiny old hippy but an older colleague made me a mix-tape and the love songs converted me, most of which have already been mentioned, but my stab'd be

I Want You
Its all Over Now Baby Blue
Up To Me
Got To Serve Someone
All Along The Watchtower

Could easily switch any of those for others just as good though. Genuine genius in all time top 10 rock/pop writers (quite a bit further down as performer, though, I think.)
Bob Dylan on 21:22 - Apr 14 with 3765 viewsBlackCrowe

Bob Dylan on 21:12 - Apr 14 by CiderwithRsie

Quite an interesting Top 50 in The Grauniad recently, which had a few decent entries from After I Stopped Listening

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/09/bob-dylans-50-greatest-songs-ranke

Until I was about 35 I thought he was a whiny old hippy but an older colleague made me a mix-tape and the love songs converted me, most of which have already been mentioned, but my stab'd be

I Want You
Its all Over Now Baby Blue
Up To Me
Got To Serve Someone
All Along The Watchtower

Could easily switch any of those for others just as good though. Genuine genius in all time top 10 rock/pop writers (quite a bit further down as performer, though, I think.)

I've seen him 4 or 5 times since early 80s. Ranged from underwhelming through to dire, with only his backing band holding things up. i kept going in the hope of a performance that shone through but it was not to be. Every track bizarrely reworked to the point of being unrecognisable. But worst of all is his lack of warmth, never speaking to or acknowledging his paying audience.

But his catalogue, lyrics and vision is one of greatness to be sure.

Bob Dylan on 21:47 - Apr 14 with 3753 viewsjohann28

Bob Dylan on 21:22 - Apr 14 by BlackCrowe

I've seen him 4 or 5 times since early 80s. Ranged from underwhelming through to dire, with only his backing band holding things up. i kept going in the hope of a performance that shone through but it was not to be. Every track bizarrely reworked to the point of being unrecognisable. But worst of all is his lack of warmth, never speaking to or acknowledging his paying audience.

But his catalogue, lyrics and vision is one of greatness to be sure.

That was the whole point of course. Went to see him 3 consequentive nights in 70s and every concert was different. Lots of people saying the same at the time ... aaaah why doesn't he just play what I've heard on the recorcd etc. Now, after all this time, I'd say what do you what do you want? Dylan karaoke? or an artist with integrity?
Login to get fewer ads

Bob Dylan on 22:05 - Apr 14 with 3745 viewsBlackCrowe

Bob Dylan on 21:47 - Apr 14 by johann28

That was the whole point of course. Went to see him 3 consequentive nights in 70s and every concert was different. Lots of people saying the same at the time ... aaaah why doesn't he just play what I've heard on the recorcd etc. Now, after all this time, I'd say what do you what do you want? Dylan karaoke? or an artist with integrity?

just an artist that played his wonderful back catalogue vaguely faithfully and created great new stuff. Guess i'm a bit too karaoke.

Bob Dylan on 22:16 - Apr 14 with 3737 viewsjohann28

The word 'faithfully' gives it away. As if it was the fkg bible or something. Dylan was one of the few prepared not to pander to the audience. Plenty of ( really good fwiw) people in pub singing Blowing in the wind to death, sorry, I mean faithfully, better than he did maybe. Is that what you want? So, yes, don't go and see Dylan.
Bob Dylan on 22:25 - Apr 14 with 3735 viewsEsox_Lucius

Definitely at #1 for me is Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.
#2 All Along The Watchtower
#3 I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
#4 Positively 4th Street
#5 Like A Rolling Stone

The grass is always greener.

Bob Dylan on 22:41 - Apr 14 with 3720 viewsted_hendrix

I seem to recall a long time ago Bob Dylan dropping the acoustic and going electric and then touring and his fans were booing at gigs and walking out, it made the musical press at the times, I was at his gig at Wembley a fair few years ago and it wasn't great, I can live with that because I got the chance to see the bloke live.
Joe Walsh made a balls up on stage by starting the wrong song with a guitar that was tuned to an opening tuning, he stopped, laughed and sorted it out, he's human too, again I was just glad to be at the gig and see him live.
They dragged the one and only Peter Green out of retirement years ago and as much as I love the bloke he wasn't quite 'on the money' that night, but hey ho I waited Years to see him live and never thought I would, it was just great to be there (and actually speak to him afterwards)

These guys/artists change over the years, so do we not sure WTF I'm on about now--I'm waffling.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Bob Dylan on 22:54 - Apr 14 with 3711 viewsLythamR

Just Like A Woman
Hurricane
Maggies Farm
Knocking On Heavens Door
Lay Lady Lay

Temporary like Achilles would have made my list apart from the 1 per album rule

My car confirms "Just like a woman"" is the third most played track whilst driving behind only Master of the Universe by Hawkwind and Bron Y aur Stomp by Led Zep
Bob Dylan on 22:56 - Apr 14 with 3711 viewsitsbiga

I connect with it.

Just a great simple sad song

Timeless lyrics

Because Woody was such an influence

Such an awesome 'fook you' song

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Bob Dylan on 20:39 - Apr 15 with 3618 viewsitsbiga

Bob Dylan on 22:54 - Apr 14 by LythamR

Just Like A Woman
Hurricane
Maggies Farm
Knocking On Heavens Door
Lay Lady Lay

Temporary like Achilles would have made my list apart from the 1 per album rule

My car confirms "Just like a woman"" is the third most played track whilst driving behind only Master of the Universe by Hawkwind and Bron Y aur Stomp by Led Zep

Master of the Universe by Hawkwind is a belter.
Love that song. Hawkwind are great, only seen them live once but it was brilliant.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Bob Dylan on 20:59 - Apr 15 with 3604 viewsdezzar

Dont think twice its alright
Idiot Wind (bootleg series version)
Stuck inside of Mobile
Bob Dylans 115th dream
Brownsville Girl

but it could change on anyday , so much amazing stuff
Bob Dylan on 20:59 - Apr 15 with 3604 viewsBlackCrowe

Only saw them once and that was at Stonehenge in '84. i remember very little, except it rained a lot.

Bob Dylan on 21:05 - Apr 15 with 3600 viewsjohann28

Bob Dylan on 20:59 - Apr 15 by dezzar

Dont think twice its alright
Idiot Wind (bootleg series version)
Stuck inside of Mobile
Bob Dylans 115th dream
Brownsville Girl

but it could change on anyday , so much amazing stuff

Hat's off to you sir. That's the same 5 mrs Johann came up with.

We're still arguing.
Bob Dylan on 21:06 - Apr 15 with 3600 viewsCiderwithRsie

Bob Dylan on 20:39 - Apr 15 by itsbiga

Master of the Universe by Hawkwind is a belter.
Love that song. Hawkwind are great, only seen them live once but it was brilliant.

Another band that varied wildly in performance. I would seriously consider nominating them in both categories in the best/worst gigs attended thread.
Bob Dylan on 21:13 - Apr 15 with 3594 viewsjohann28

Bob Dylan on 21:06 - Apr 15 by CiderwithRsie

Another band that varied wildly in performance. I would seriously consider nominating them in both categories in the best/worst gigs attended thread.

Sigh. Not this again. It all depends on what you expected. Hope you're not one of those getting irate because 'it's different to the record' etc
Bob Dylan on 20:47 - Apr 17 with 3501 viewsdezzar

Bob Dylan on 21:05 - Apr 15 by johann28

Hat's off to you sir. That's the same 5 mrs Johann came up with.

We're still arguing.

Thanks your Mrs has excellent taste , im still looking for Henry Porter x
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 20:48]
Bob Dylan on 20:56 - Apr 17 with 3489 viewsLythamR

Bob Dylan on 21:13 - Apr 15 by johann28

Sigh. Not this again. It all depends on what you expected. Hope you're not one of those getting irate because 'it's different to the record' etc

to be fair with Hawkwind concerts much depended on the level and quality of the drugs along with the level of love or animosity between those on stage, I saw them a couple of times when they were sub par but also a couple of times when they were sublime,
Bob Dylan on 23:13 - Apr 17 with 3455 viewsCiderwithRsie

Bob Dylan on 21:13 - Apr 15 by johann28

Not at all. Sometimes they were on it, sometimes they weren't.

Since a gazillion members have passed through the band with only Dave Brock as a permanent member, and they've been going for over 50 years, it's not surprising they vary a bit when it comes to both their recordings and live performances.

IMO they were at their best when they contained a range of creative influences, especially when Brock, Calvert and Turner were all in the band.
Bob Dylan on 09:46 - Apr 18 with 3398 viewsCFW

Not a great fan to be honest but fully appreciate the 'genius' in him. I recently visited Bath and whilst there I went into an art gallery. I had no idea he is such a great artist and his work is much acclaimed - shows how much I know about art!!!

Anyway after not very long I had purchased a limited addition print of the words to Mr Tambourine Man along with his sketch by the side. Only 495 in the world with 5 left for sale. Not going to say how much it cost but as iimpulse purchases go it is right up there!!!!
Bob Dylan on 17:23 - Apr 20 with 3314 viewsswitchingcode

Rolling stone
Positively 4th street
Sad eyed lady of the low lands
Visions of Joanna
It’s all over now baby blue
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024