Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bob Dylan 15:02 - Apr 14 with 4840 viewsjohann28

Any fans out there? Would be interested to hear your top 5, and reasons. Rules: one song per album.

Mine are:

* Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands (1966). Perfection. Elgeiac, wistful, beautiful. I would defy you to find 11 minutes of 'popular' music more poignant.

* Desolation Row (1965). Lyrically up there with TS Eliot and Thomas Hardy. Stark and oppressive, but lures you into to its hypnotic melody.

* Tangled Up In Blue (1975). Probably the best 'ending of relationship' song ever written. Unbearably sad.

* With God on our Side (1963). Voltaire: 'Good people do bad things, bad people do bad things. It takes religion for otherwise good people to do bad things.'

* Sara (1976). Probably the second best 'ending of relationship' song. Rips your guts out.

[Post edited 14 Apr 2020 15:03]
Bob Dylan on 21:19 - Apr 20 with 879 viewsessextaxiboy

Thunder on the Mountain
Things have Changed
Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues (I prefer the cover by Bryan Ferry )
Bob Dylan on 22:14 - Apr 20 with 858 viewsWesty75

Still struggling with the idea of selecting a Dylan top 5. How is that even possible...perhaps a top 20, but even that would be tough.
Bob Dylan on 22:59 - Apr 20 with 854 viewsPBLOCK

Always had a passing interest in Dylan mentioned it once while watching a programme on the box with my Mrs who then for my Birthday got me the Greatest Hits.

Was decent, but why I now look a bit more into what’s he’s done is that when we had our little girl she would often go off to Blowin in the wind, Mr Tambourine Man then a couple of years later so would our little boy

Thanks Bob!
Bob Dylan on 23:08 - Apr 20 with 852 viewsEsox_Lucius

Bob Dylan on 21:19 - Apr 20 by essextaxiboy

Thunder on the Mountain
Things have Changed

Hey! how are you doing? I remember you posting that the lockdown was hitting you hard. I hope you are able to get through this and keep your sanity.

The grass is always greener.

Bob Dylan on 23:19 - Apr 20 with 847 viewsessextaxiboy

Bob Dylan on 23:08 - Apr 20 by Esox_Lucius

Hey! how are you doing? I remember you posting that the lockdown was hitting you hard. I hope you are able to get through this and keep your sanity.

Hi , taxi work is finished , I only did airport transfer and
that stopped dead so got rid of the car and ceased trading . I have a found a permanent part time job delivering prescriptions .I am 59 so that will be enough I hope

Thanks for asking
Bob Dylan on 08:47 - Apr 21 with 819 viewsToast_R

Bob Dylan on 21:19 - Apr 20 by essextaxiboy

Thunder on the Mountain
Things have Changed

Things have changed - I forgot about that one, a truly magnificent piece of writing. There is a cover by Curtis Stigers which is very good, worth a listen.
Bob Dylan on 08:53 - Apr 21 with 812 viewsTheChef

Bob Dylan on 22:59 - Apr 20 by PBLOCK

Always had a passing interest in Dylan mentioned it once while watching a programme on the box with my Mrs who then for my Birthday got me the Greatest Hits.

Was decent, but why I now look a bit more into what’s he’s done is that when we had our little girl she would often go off to Blowin in the wind, Mr Tambourine Man then a couple of years later so would our little boy

Thanks Bob!

Yeah he does seem a bit marmite in so much as you're either absolutely besotted with him or he just kind of passes you by.

I'm more in the latter camp, can appreciate his work but for the most part it doesn't really float my boat.

Although my favourite track of his largely is related to one of my favourite films The Big Lebowski...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Bob Dylan on 10:10 - Apr 21 with 797 viewsfrancisbowles

1. Watching the river flow.
2. Oxford Town
3. Tonight I'll be staying here with you.
4. Spanish is the loving tongue.
5. Senor (tales of Yankee power)

Just songs that caught my attention and have stuck in the memory. There are many more!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024