Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When Did You Know? 22:05 - Jun 18 with 3574 viewszicoshoops

Come on, when did you know?
That you was never going to be a professional footballer.

I knew at the age of thirteen.
I thought I was good enough playing for a District team.
Then we played another District team and I spent most of the match watching one of their forwards.............

Laurie Cunningham.

A million miles away from anyone else on the pitch.

A harsh lesson, but at least I learnt it early..

Still, I look on the bright side................If I had of made it......
Imagine all of the Alcohol I would have missed out on in my life.

What's going on?

We should be told

Sort it out
When Did You Know? on 14:55 - Jun 19 with 726 viewsHAYESBOY

Was scouted playing for Park Lane in the Hayes & Harlington District boys league in 1982 by a QPR Scout.
My Dad and me jumped on the 207 from Hayes to the stop outside William Hill and the trials took place over a few sessions on the plastic pitch down the road from the stadium.
I didn't feel out of place there but there were kids that were really pushy and seemed to be confident, whereas I was like a rabbit in the headlights.
At the end of the sessions over 4 weeks they took us into the offices at Loftus Rd and took our details, and said would contact you soon. No contact.
I don't know of anyone on the sessions I was on that made it.
I never really believed I could be come a pro footballer.
The only time I ever thought that there are players here that are at a different level was when I played against the likes of Paul Merson and Mick Bodley and they were at a different level.
Played with them a couple of times at District level also and you could see they were really good players.
By the way the scout for QPR..……...Chris Gieler. (shudder)

[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 14:58]

Smells like a trout farm in here

When Did You Know? on 15:09 - Jun 19 with 711 viewsBoston

When Did You Know? on 14:55 - Jun 19 by HAYESBOY

Was scouted playing for Park Lane in the Hayes & Harlington District boys league in 1982 by a QPR Scout.
My Dad and me jumped on the 207 from Hayes to the stop outside William Hill and the trials took place over a few sessions on the plastic pitch down the road from the stadium.
I didn't feel out of place there but there were kids that were really pushy and seemed to be confident, whereas I was like a rabbit in the headlights.
At the end of the sessions over 4 weeks they took us into the offices at Loftus Rd and took our details, and said would contact you soon. No contact.
I don't know of anyone on the sessions I was on that made it.
I never really believed I could be come a pro footballer.
The only time I ever thought that there are players here that are at a different level was when I played against the likes of Paul Merson and Mick Bodley and they were at a different level.
Played with them a couple of times at District level also and you could see they were really good players.
By the way the scout for QPR..……...Chris Gieler. (shudder)

[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 14:58]

I trained with QPR boys when I was 13/14. I did not enjoy it. Some of the lads present had two likely career opportunities, pro footballers or leg breakers for a criminal syndicate. Me being short, lightly built and able to run rings around them did not go down well, for the sake of my health and wishing to retain the chance of having children, it became obvious that this was not the ‘trade’ I wished to apprentice in. Also pissed off with he coaches, don’t recall their names but in the main they were a bunch a cvnts.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

When Did You Know? on 16:16 - Jun 19 with 673 views2Thomas2Bowles

When Did You Know? on 14:46 - Jun 19 by Boston

Really, Mark Hughes is your agent?

Joorbachian

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

When Did You Know? on 20:51 - Jun 19 with 626 viewsstowmarketrange

When Did You Know? on 10:53 - Jun 19 by ted_hendrix

I found out whilst in the army in Germany late Sixties, I thought I was pretty good tbh but never seemed to get picked for the Regiments games, whilst stood on the sidelines watching one of our games against another Regiment it started to dawn on me that our players were in fact a better standard than me so I had to swallow my pride and accept it.
So I took up boxing instead (wrong move) again I thought I was pretty good at boxing so I signed up for the Regiments boxing trials (fck me that was a mistake) I never lasted past the second of three rounds as the sergeant jumped in the ring and said words to the effect "look, thanks for trying but you've come up against a good opponent there".

(I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody)

I've got a lot of respect for professional sports people, but it still doesn't stop me shouting *you useless bastard, even I could have made that pass, five fcking yards that's all and you still gave the ball away*

Great thread Mr Z

You should be proud of yourself Ted.You managed to keep the ball away from Bale longer than most other people did that season.
When Did You Know? on 21:10 - Jun 19 with 609 views2Thomas2Bowles

When Did You Know? on 15:09 - Jun 19 by Boston

I trained with QPR boys when I was 13/14. I did not enjoy it. Some of the lads present had two likely career opportunities, pro footballers or leg breakers for a criminal syndicate. Me being short, lightly built and able to run rings around them did not go down well, for the sake of my health and wishing to retain the chance of having children, it became obvious that this was not the ‘trade’ I wished to apprentice in. Also pissed off with he coaches, don’t recall their names but in the main they were a bunch a cvnts.

What year was that?

When Did You Know? on 21:13 - Jun 19 with 606 viewsBoston

When Did You Know? on 21:10 - Jun 19 by 2Thomas2Bowles

What year was that?

I’m s...six...sixty one since last week☹️

When Did You Know? on 21:26 - Jun 19 with 582 viewsjohann28

Can't do football but I can do cricket. For those old enough, can you recall Norman Cowans, Middx fast bowler? He looked a bit like Eze, very nonchalant and unassuming. An over in the nets, never saw one, career over, but happy to be able to walk away 😢
When Did You Know? on 21:28 - Jun 19 with 581 views2Thomas2Bowles

When Did You Know? on 21:13 - Jun 19 by Boston

I’m s...six...sixty one since last week☹️

I have a terrible feeling I know you from then, I got let go when there was a big change (if you know what I mean) I want to foolham with a couple of mates after, but then got stabbed in FPR could not play for a year and killed off any chance, if I had any, drifted into NL for next few years but having to find a job and family stuff took over.

My Brother was a really good player but had his leg busted with the bone coming out sideways, still has a limp to this day, I think I was more gutted for him.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 21:29]

Login to get fewer ads

When Did You Know? on 00:56 - Jun 20 with 544 viewsBoston

When Did You Know? on 21:28 - Jun 19 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I have a terrible feeling I know you from then, I got let go when there was a big change (if you know what I mean) I want to foolham with a couple of mates after, but then got stabbed in FPR could not play for a year and killed off any chance, if I had any, drifted into NL for next few years but having to find a job and family stuff took over.

My Brother was a really good player but had his leg busted with the bone coming out sideways, still has a limp to this day, I think I was more gutted for him.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 21:29]

Sorry, no one I know ever went to Fulham.

BTW, my bollocks still give me occasional gip ya big thug!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024