Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford 21:12 - Oct 16 with 7071 viewsMyke

Excellent second half performance. Such a pity they didn't give Chelsea a bloody nose.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 21:14]
Brentford on 20:22 - Oct 19 with 720 viewsdistortR

Brentford on 20:10 - Oct 19 by Juzzie

This is what I was referring to when i said the PL is ruthless. If results start dipping no one will give a schit about pretty performances (though i much prefer good football than route-one shithousery). Shareholders, directors, investors, sponsors will start asking questions and maybe the fans too as panic sets in about the thought of relegation. Then people will start clamouring for signings to be made which will cost large amounts (all on exorbitant transfer fees, salaries and agents fees leaving little for anything else) and suddenly the money pit that is the PL becomes apparent.

we can but hope.
Brentford on 22:29 - Oct 19 with 652 viewsNewBee

This is what I was referring to when i said the PL is ruthless. If results start dipping no one will give a schit about pretty performances (though i much prefer good football than route-one shithousery). Shareholders, directors, investors, sponsors will start asking questions and maybe the fans too as panic sets in about the thought of relegation. Then people will start clamouring for signings to be made which will cost large amounts (all on exorbitant transfer fees, salaries and agents fees leaving little for anything else) and suddenly the money pit that is the PL becomes apparent.

"If results start dipping no one will give a schit about pretty performances (though i much prefer good football than route-one shithousery)."

It's nothing to do with "pretty" football or "shithousery". Rather it's a case of effective football. And if your stats/xG's suggest that you're playing well, but results are going against you, you need patience until it reverts to the mean. And our owner, Matthew Benham, has always been patient until now.

"Shareholders, directors, investors, sponsors will start asking questions and maybe the fans too as panic sets in about the thought of relegation."

Er, Benham owns the club 100%. There are no other shareholders and he appoints - and so can dismiss - the Directors. As for the fans, the more measured ones trust him implicitly, while the social media mob are irrelevant to him.

"Then people will start clamouring for signings to be made which will cost large amounts (all on exorbitant transfer fees, salaries and agents fees leaving little for anything else) and suddenly the money pit that is the PL becomes apparent."

Ever since he took control of the club in League One and throughout the Championship years, he has always exercised disciplined financial control, not just to satisfy FFP, but also to keep within his own parameters.

After all, as an extemely wealthy, self-made man, he made his fortune in the gambling industry, so he understands better than any of us the difference between a calculated risk and a desperate punt, especially when it's his money we're talking about.

P.S. You're not mistaking him with Mel Morris by any chance?
Brentford on 22:37 - Oct 19 with 633 viewsQPR_Jim

Yeah I agree, I imagine that the media will pile on the pressure too.

I hope they stick with it but because they did in the championship under ffp restrictions and with relatively little media attention doesn't necessarily mean they will.
Brentford on 23:03 - Oct 19 with 597 viewsNewBee

Brentford on 22:37 - Oct 19 by QPR_Jim

Yeah I agree, I imagine that the media will pile on the pressure too.

I hope they stick with it but because they did in the championship under ffp restrictions and with relatively little media attention doesn't necessarily mean they will.

Benham doesn't give a stuff about the media, nor does he need to. Neither of his two main companies, SmartOdds and Matchbook, are publicly listed, nor are Brentford.

He hardly ever gives interviews (at least not football-related) and you never see him in the gossip columns etc. He doesn't even appear in eg the annual Sunday Times Rich List, despite being easily wealthy enough. Indeed he doesn't even have a Wiki page!

Basically he does things differently from other football club owners because he is different.

Although a bit Cut & Paste, this profile written for an American publication after the Play-Off win, gives a flavour of the man:
https://huddleup.substack.com/p/the-sports-gambler-who-turned-700k
Brentford on 23:11 - Oct 19 with 587 viewsted_hendrix

Brentford on 23:03 - Oct 19 by NewBee

Benham doesn't give a stuff about the media, nor does he need to. Neither of his two main companies, SmartOdds and Matchbook, are publicly listed, nor are Brentford.

He hardly ever gives interviews (at least not football-related) and you never see him in the gossip columns etc. He doesn't even appear in eg the annual Sunday Times Rich List, despite being easily wealthy enough. Indeed he doesn't even have a Wiki page!

Basically he does things differently from other football club owners because he is different.

Although a bit Cut & Paste, this profile written for an American publication after the Play-Off win, gives a flavour of the man:
https://huddleup.substack.com/p/the-sports-gambler-who-turned-700k

Out of a total lack of interest I have unfortunately spontaneously self combusted.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024