Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME 10:50 - Sep 13 with 2880 viewsMarshy67

Those of us of a certain age delighted that Rodney will be at HQ on Saturday.
I get that Stanley seems to be the main man for many supporters but without Rod would there have been a Stanley?
We all were in awe of Rod's televised hat-trick back in 1970 against Birmingham but he scored other fantastic goals that were never captured on film.They only live in the memories of those of us old enough to remember them.
242 appearances 134 goals.
What do you think his worth would be now?
KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 11:09 - Sep 13 with 2817 viewsLblock

From what I've seen and am old ..... £100mill player

However if our board are doing the negotiations then he'd go for £340k and a bag of unwashed training kit.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 11:31 - Sep 13 with 2750 viewsDaBurgh

A supposed conversation between Alf Ramsey and Rodney.

"I'll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don't work harder I'll pull you off at half time," to which Marsh replied: "Crikey, Alf, at QPR all we get is an orange and a cup of tea."

Hehehe
KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 11:35 - Sep 13 with 2715 viewsknocker

My hero as a lad. This club has so much to be thankful for Rod. And Jim Gregory for bringing him to rangers. Where all the success we've had over the years, and we've had a bit, begun. God bless you Rod. See you Saturday and hope you get the reception you so deserve.
KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 11:47 - Sep 13 with 2693 viewsstantheman10

Legend
KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 13:25 - Sep 13 with 2531 viewsderbyhoop

And remember he was a Fulham reject.

Even back then, we were prepared to take other clubs' cast offs. See Eze, Chair, Lumley, Fielld (?) but also Richards.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 14:35 - Sep 13 with 2410 viewseasthertsr

Brilliant, gifted player, saw him at his absolute peak in the early seventies, just stunning ability,two-footed and a scorer of magnificent goals. The day he finally went to Man City felt like the end of the world. Thanks for the memories Rodney.
KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 19:46 - Sep 13 with 2186 viewsMalintabuk

KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 13:25 - Sep 13 by derbyhoop

And remember he was a Fulham reject.

Even back then, we were prepared to take other clubs' cast offs. See Eze, Chair, Lumley, Fielld (?) but also Richards.

Fantastic player and was my hero as well. Might the ill fated 1968 season been different if he hadn't been injured for the first few months
Didn't he move from Fulham to restart his career after being injured in a match causing his deafness?
KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 21:49 - Sep 13 with 2063 viewsextratimeR

KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 19:46 - Sep 13 by Malintabuk

Fantastic player and was my hero as well. Might the ill fated 1968 season been different if he hadn't been injured for the first few months
Didn't he move from Fulham to restart his career after being injured in a match causing his deafness?

Wonderful, Wonderful player, hard as nails as well, remember him getting stuck into a Glasgow Rangers defender in a pre-season friendly, (whose bright idea was that!).

Memory ropey but his England debut home to Switzerland? at Wembley, ground must have been half full with QPR fans, (not a great time for flare players with Sir Alf).

For me, he really put us on the map, and the great ones followed on, (with a decent mention for Les Allen who sort of started it rolling).

Rodney also was well and truly kicked to pieces in the Third Division week after week.

Looking forward to seeing him Saturday.
Login to get fewer ads

KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 22:21 - Sep 13 with 2013 viewsCateLeBonR

KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 22:22 - Sep 13 with 2005 viewspaulhoop2

Unfortunately I am too young for the 60 and 70 players those of you that saw them who was better Rodney or Stanley? Or Is it too close to call ?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 22:35 - Sep 13 with 1964 viewsLanhoop

KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 22:22 - Sep 13 by paulhoop2

Unfortunately I am too young for the 60 and 70 players those of you that saw them who was better Rodney or Stanley? Or Is it too close to call ?

For me, too close to call.
KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 08:15 - Sep 14 with 1767 viewsPlanetHonneywood

He'd left before my first game at LR.

Somewhat ironically, it was against United on what was either George Best's penultimate or final game for them. That day, we won 3-0 with Stan scoring a brace.

However, I did see Marsh and Best play a couple of times for Fulham. Of course, both past their primes, but it was clear they were head and shoulders above nearly everyone else, with the exception of one of Fulham's centre halves.

However, when we talk about the likes of Bowles, Best Marsh et al, there are four things that are often overlooked: they drank like fish; the balls weighed a ton; the pitches were bogs; and with the possible exception of the centre half above, the defenders they were up against were thugs.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 09:53 - Sep 14 with 1694 viewsterryb

KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 22:22 - Sep 13 by paulhoop2

It's a difficult one & I might upset the members of the Rodney & Stan camps!

IMO Rodney, had more natural ball control, heading ability & strength. He often played as an individual though. We used to travel across the country to away games hoping to see two minutes of Rodney being supreme, but often he was absent on the pitch & we lost easily!

Stan was a far better team player, better passer of the ball & worked harder than you may imagine. He influenced a lot more games than Rodney & created more goals. He also played alongside better players for us.

Both were wonderful to watch & for me Rodney was more exciting, but Stan the better player. They both had a nasty side as well & were very happy to leave their physical mark on opponents. Another thing I loved about them!
KING RODNEEE....AT THE SUNDERLAND GAME on 10:28 - Sep 14 with 1640 viewsdmm

I've always said that it's Rodney's fault I'm a QPR supporter. That and I grew up in Kensal Rise so QPR was my local club.

My dad, a Hearts man, took me and a mate along for the first time during the famous 66/67 season as he knew something special was happening at QPR. And that was that. Rodney was just so spell binding, entertaining, infuriating, cheeky and completely unique. He was called the clown prince of football for good reason. People will always compare Rodney and Stanley, and rightly so. But I often think Rodney was more like Taarabt than Stan.

I loved the whole team, of course, but Rodney (and I'll never forgive you Rodders!) is to blame for my lifelong affliction of being an R.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2023 12:08]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024