Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watering the pitch 11:31 - Nov 12 with 2495 viewsW12Mikey

Would be interested in the views of those more knowledgable than me on this. Yesterday, it seemed to me a few of our players were slipping over in the first half. So at half time the powers that be decided to water the pitch some more, and Dykes then falls over right in front of goal. We haven’t exactly had a drought recently so why is it necessary to put so much water on? Do other clubs do this? Not just yesterday, either, I’ve had a bee in my bonnet about this for years!
Watering the pitch on 11:35 - Nov 12 with 2471 viewscolinallcars

I was thinking the same, it's been raining dogs & cats in West London lately.
Watering the pitch on 11:43 - Nov 12 with 2444 viewsBoston

Hmm, would this be the 'water sports' I saw mentioned in Bayswater telephone boxes when I was a lad?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Watering the pitch on 12:00 - Nov 12 with 2366 viewsstevec

Designed to stop the opposition passing their way through us under the previous regime.
Watering the pitch on 12:36 - Nov 12 with 2292 viewsRangersDave

Noticed this quite a bit at LR, surely unless its raining or flooding, you should be looking to produce a pitch that takes and holds a stud laterally? if the grass gives (and i've noticed it does) then less water, more root meshing and a decent stud. (if they are still the things we use?).

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Watering the pitch on 12:48 - Nov 12 with 2235 viewsNorthernr

Couple of them could do with some proper boots.
Watering the pitch on 13:33 - Nov 12 with 2094 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Watering the pitch on 11:43 - Nov 12 by Boston

Hmm, would this be the 'water sports' I saw mentioned in Bayswater telephone boxes when I was a lad?

I did not take the bait and google that activity Boston too early in the day
It will be interesting to see how the new pitch holds up through the winter though.
Watering seems to defy logic to me because a soaking pitch tears up so much easier but it would be interesting to hear any experts opinion
Watering the pitch on 14:14 - Nov 12 with 1995 viewsOldPedro

Watering the pitch seems to happen everywhere. When we played at Huddersfield, they were watering the pitch just before kick off when the previous 2-3 days had seen significant rainfall in Yorkshire and there were some localised floods in the surrounding areas.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Watering the pitch on 18:14 - Nov 12 with 1759 viewspaulhoop2

From my limited knowledge of the rules etc I believe this would be a call made by the qpr manager and groudstaff carry out what ever has been requested

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Login to get fewer ads

Watering the pitch on 18:28 - Nov 12 with 1724 viewsBoston

I was under the impression you watered the pitch if you were playing a team that were good, better than you at playing the ball on the ground.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Watering the pitch on 18:53 - Nov 12 with 1649 viewsted_hendrix

Not 100% certain but from memory and with the pitch being recently relaid, I'd assume that the new grass (under warranty) would require an amount of litres per square metre per day/week or whatever to ensure proper recorded maintenance thus keeping the warranty live and active.
Again from memory new grass has a habit of drying out very fast and should be watered In the morning, long since retired now but the last two pitches we laid was over Ten years ago down In Wiltshire on a new academy.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 18:54]

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Watering the pitch on 19:38 - Nov 12 with 1549 viewsOakR

They might also turn the pressure down - they managed to get some of the cadets by the Paddocks who'd been waiting in line pre KO.

I assumed slightly more watered equalled better for slick passing but total guesswork.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Watering the pitch on 19:46 - Nov 12 with 1525 viewsCateLeBonR

I don't think there's much soil on these modern pitches (mostly sand) so the water drains away easily.
Watering the pitch on 21:26 - Nov 12 with 1417 viewsbaz_qpr

Pitches are hybrid aren't they and they have a drainage section underneath them so I suspect its required to keep them maintained, they never really seem to cut up
Watering the pitch on 22:19 - Nov 12 with 1304 viewskernowhoop

'Do other clubs do this?'

Yes and it is a puzzle.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024