Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell 11:14 - Jan 2 with 5829 viewsParkRoyalR

This post is not about finding another scapegoat as in Dykes, Dunne & Kakay I reckon its easier for the majority of our fans to focus on just those three.

This post has been prompted by what went catastrophically wrong with our team performance at Millwall, the improvement at Ipswich and the reversion to type yesterday.

After the Millwall game I've taken to watching Mr Dozzell closely as thought his contribution, or complete lack of in the Millwall game, meant we were never in the game as seemed to be playing with a man short.

Undeniably returning to his ex-club at Ipswich he had a point to prove and for the first half he actually got involved in the game and in the 2nd half managed to overlap and run into space to put a cross into the box. So low is the bar with this lad, I was genuinely shocked when he did this.

Yesterday Mr Dozzell reverted to his preferred role of hiding in plain sight. Seemed more than happy to let Jimmy Dunne become our main creative spark as he sauntered from one marker to the next.

Again I was pleasantly surprised (so low is the bar with this lad) when he made an ambitious forward pass mid-way through the 2nd Half, which was his sole contribution, apart from pointing to where the Centre Backs should pass the ball (never to him mind) or when he did decide he could'nt hide any longer, he engaged in a a bit of fromyoutomebacktoyou which is his primary contribution in any game.

Until we find a formation that returns this lad to his rightful place on the bench we will continue on a downward trajectory (presume with SJ's demise he somehow became a 1st team starter) as we will be relying on our main creative midfielder to contribute his usual 1 Goal but more tellingly 1 Assist Per Season.

Every player tried their best yesterday, bar Dozzell. I have not given up hope but the longer he remains a starter in a 4-4-3 formation that hope will diminish.

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 11:38 - Jan 2 with 4452 viewsbongo_king

Pretty much agree with you, apart from his rightful place. Don't think its on the bench, its away from the first team! (yesterday was the final straw for me, he needed to step up and disappeared entirely).

I suspect Marti has clocked the Dozzell problem a while back, but there are simply no other options (well, Duke Mckenna or move Ilias from the 10 as he has a couple of times). I think Marti is right to play 3 in the middle, we spent the first part of this season being consistently overrun in midfield. Now we have 3 in the middle (well, 2.5 with Dozzell) we're not being overrun.

I'm hoping we can get at least 1 CM in (probably on loan.... could end up being Tim O, mixed feelings on that but its the type of player we need albeit without his errors). A 3 with Field at the base (instead of Field trying to do the playmaker thing like yesterday cos Dozzell was hiding so much), EDB/Collback and a real no 8 who can carry and create would be not bad, IMO - if they are all available.
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 11:47 - Jan 2 with 4388 viewsPhilmyRs

Share similar concerns over Dozzell. Not defending him at all, but I do think the problem was made worse yesterday by Field doing exactly the same thing - i.e. both just coming for a short 'to-me-to-you' pass with our centre back or full back. We were crying out for one of them to play on the turn and get the ball moving forward. Given the profile of player you'd expect that to be Dozzell of the two of them but he just went missing. EDB did try and do that but lacked the technical quality to impose himself. Actually seemed to me to be a game where a more direct style to get the most from the players we had available would have been more productive. So Dykes with Smyth and Armstrong close to him with their pace would have caused Cardiff a lot more problems. Without Chair, and to a lesser extent Willock, we just look very poor from a technical, ball playing level.
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 12:02 - Jan 2 with 4322 viewsBAWHoops

If everyone is fit then I think we'd play Colback and Field as a 2 with Chair in the 10 flanked by Willock and Smyth.

But nobody is ever fit except Dozell so he plays.... poorly

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 12:06 - Jan 2 with 4297 viewsNorthernr

Hides.
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 12:21 - Jan 2 with 4232 viewsngbqpr

Specifically re yesterday's game - I thought EDB / Field / Dozzell were all equally culpable - or incapable.

Given the personnel we have, I'd prefer 4231 to 433.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 12:26 - Jan 2 with 4209 viewsRed_Ranger

Agree with OP.

Saddest thing is when he does 'have a go' you see flashes of good stuff.

I think its totally a confidence thing, same with Willock.

Not mentioned also is I thought how well Luongo played the role we would all like to see Dozzell play (at Ipswich).
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:12 - Jan 2 with 3943 viewsbaz_qpr

It was a 4-1-4-1 first half and it was Prime Dozzell hiding, watched him closely and was driving mad how often he moved into a position he could not be passed to. Dont get the criticism of Field yesterday I think he did all right his role is to hold and screen. EDB and Dozzell role is to get forward when in possession and only EDB was really doing that 1st half
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:17 - Jan 2 with 3919 viewsThGrimRanger

I have no doubt that he'd be dropped if we had a viable replacement but there lies the problem

TheGrimRanger

Login to get fewer ads

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:23 - Jan 2 with 3891 viewsHunterhoop

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:12 - Jan 2 by baz_qpr

It was a 4-1-4-1 first half and it was Prime Dozzell hiding, watched him closely and was driving mad how often he moved into a position he could not be passed to. Dont get the criticism of Field yesterday I think he did all right his role is to hold and screen. EDB and Dozzell role is to get forward when in possession and only EDB was really doing that 1st half

Exactly.

I did the same and felt the same. Dozzell hugely irritated me. Once you start watching it closely you could see how frequently he moved to be behind one Cardiff player and in front of another so he was impossible to be passed the ball, other times he made runs far too late, other times when he was available he should played a wall pass back, and then he was pointing where Dunne or JCS should pass it. I counted 3 forward passed in the first half. Not once did he open his body and receive on the half turn or drive forward.

Criticising Field for the same failings is lazy and wrong because a) he isn’t playing the same role, b) he did play forward far more often (still not as much as I’d like), and c) he does all the donkey work of tracking their midfield runners and making tackles and blocks. If he was a great ball player too, he wouldn’t play for us. You need a Field and a ball player, just like Derry and Faurlin. It’s the ball player role we massively struggle with.

EBD tried to play forward although execution was a bit poor, but I’d play him over Dozzell simply for attempting to progress us up the pitch,

Dozzell is a big earner, with eel over 100 league games under his belt. Yesterday we were missing Chair and Willock. He was the ball player in that side. He was there to create. If there was ever a game to stand up in, it was yesterday. Instead we got that performance. Bloke is a charlatan.
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:26 - Jan 2 with 3870 viewsTheChef

I can't believe that Duke-McKenna could do any worse.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:26 - Jan 2 with 3864 viewsPhilmyRs

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:12 - Jan 2 by baz_qpr

The role of the defensive screener is changing though. Just as full back and centre backs changed over time, so too has the defensive midfielder. Spending 45 minutes only playing short backward, or the occasional sideways pass, is not good enough. You have to do more. Agree this is a lot less of an issue if your other midfielders are doing more but Field needs to show a bit more ambition with the ball. I’m not expecting him to be Ray Wilkins, but a few quick switches of play a few passes into Dykes feet, maybe even the odd first time pass would push him up a level and help us immensely. It could be it’s all on Dozzell, Derry always had Faurlin as an option after all, whereas Field has head below the Parapet Dozzell, but I still just think he could do a bit more with the ball.
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:30 - Jan 2 with 3822 viewsHunterhoop

Obviously he could be better and more adventurous on the ball. But the issue is Dozzell. It’s his primary role, and Field’s secondary role. And yet, to my eyes, Field still plays more forward passes than Dozzell, certainly yesterday in the first half.

I’d have Field, Colback, and EDB all ahead of him, and, tbh, I’d fit, I’d like to try Chair in the middle in front of Field and Colback/EDB with Smyth and Willock wide.
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:30 - Jan 2 with 3822 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:26 - Jan 2 by PhilmyRs

The role of the defensive screener is changing though. Just as full back and centre backs changed over time, so too has the defensive midfielder. Spending 45 minutes only playing short backward, or the occasional sideways pass, is not good enough. You have to do more. Agree this is a lot less of an issue if your other midfielders are doing more but Field needs to show a bit more ambition with the ball. I’m not expecting him to be Ray Wilkins, but a few quick switches of play a few passes into Dykes feet, maybe even the odd first time pass would push him up a level and help us immensely. It could be it’s all on Dozzell, Derry always had Faurlin as an option after all, whereas Field has head below the Parapet Dozzell, but I still just think he could do a bit more with the ball.

Well put.

At the moment we are playing Field as our pivot, and he doesn't ever, um, pivot.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:32 - Jan 2 with 3800 viewsTheChef

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:30 - Jan 2 by Hunterhoop

Obviously he could be better and more adventurous on the ball. But the issue is Dozzell. It’s his primary role, and Field’s secondary role. And yet, to my eyes, Field still plays more forward passes than Dozzell, certainly yesterday in the first half.

I’d have Field, Colback, and EDB all ahead of him, and, tbh, I’d fit, I’d like to try Chair in the middle in front of Field and Colback/EDB with Smyth and Willock wide.

Re Colback - well yes but is he fit and is he actually interested?

I was beginning to wonder on the latter but hopefully he can still make a difference.

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:41 - Jan 2 with 3759 viewsParkRoyalR

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:30 - Jan 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Well put.

At the moment we are playing Field as our pivot, and he doesn't ever, um, pivot.

If your correct on this Brian, then this is major failing by our Manager.

I would'nt play Field as the pivot (presume this means out-ball from the GK / Defence) in my 5 aside team.

If Field is the pivot, we're playing the wrong formation for the players in our squad.

We would probably all agree Dozzell is poor in the tackle, poor in the air, lacks pace, stamina, rarely takes on a man and breaks the line but....... he does have a good first touch, control and can pass a ball cleanly without it bobbling up to the intended receiver.

If you're playing Dozzell anywhere on the pitch but in this role, you're making a huge mistake.
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:47 - Jan 2 with 3727 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:41 - Jan 2 by ParkRoyalR

If your correct on this Brian, then this is major failing by our Manager.

I would'nt play Field as the pivot (presume this means out-ball from the GK / Defence) in my 5 aside team.

If Field is the pivot, we're playing the wrong formation for the players in our squad.

We would probably all agree Dozzell is poor in the tackle, poor in the air, lacks pace, stamina, rarely takes on a man and breaks the line but....... he does have a good first touch, control and can pass a ball cleanly without it bobbling up to the intended receiver.

If you're playing Dozzell anywhere on the pitch but in this role, you're making a huge mistake.

Well, it's tongue-in-cheek by me.

Field is playing as the holding midfielder, cleraly, and in Cifuentes' Cryuffian style that player is the pivot/pivote.

His most important job is to protect the back four, which is why Field plays there and not Dozzell.

But his secondary job, and it's huge, is to show for the ball and distribute it, which Field doesn't. Heis job seems to be pointing which way the GK and CB's should pass the ball, left or right, but not to him. Maybe it's by instruction, maybe it isn't, unless we're in the dressing room we won't know.

But the main problem is that we don't have a player who can play both parts of that role, and yet again we don't have players in the building who can play the style that our manager wants.
[Post edited 2 Jan 14:48]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 15:00 - Jan 2 with 3673 viewsJimmyR

it does rather beg the question why he is on the pitch. MC has limited options, but we must have someone who would at least show some willing or attempt to do the basics (even if they make mistakes). I'm a big fan of MC, i think he has done great with what he has, so i'm sure MC is going with what he thinks is best.
If you are going to hide the whole match then hide in the reserves and get someone out there willing to get stuck in. Makes me think there is something i'm missing, but what? I certainly haven't been watching Dozzell as closely as you - but i have been watching!
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 15:16 - Jan 2 with 3617 viewskernowhoop

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:32 - Jan 2 by TheChef

Re Colback - well yes but is he fit and is he actually interested?

I was beginning to wonder on the latter but hopefully he can still make a difference.

"Re Colback - well yes but is he fit and is he actually interested?"

And, is he disciplined enough to get through a game without two yellows or a red?
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 15:20 - Jan 2 with 3592 viewsNorthernr

Colback's been a disaster let's be honest. Never fit, and when he is he's a card machine. Brought in to oversee an uplift in culture and standards. Absolute lol. Two year contract with an option for a third. What a club.
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 15:25 - Jan 2 with 3548 viewsTheChef

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 15:16 - Jan 2 by kernowhoop

"Re Colback - well yes but is he fit and is he actually interested?"

And, is he disciplined enough to get through a game without two yellows or a red?

Well yes his interest ties in with his discipline - if he's looking to accumulate cards and miss games, then clearly he's not interested!

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 15:25 - Jan 2 with 3549 viewsDesertBoot

Agree with the OP and Dozzell is never injured because all his done is walk, occasionally jog, for ninety minutes.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 15:27 - Jan 2 with 3538 viewsParkRoyalR

Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 14:47 - Jan 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, it's tongue-in-cheek by me.

Field is playing as the holding midfielder, cleraly, and in Cifuentes' Cryuffian style that player is the pivot/pivote.

His most important job is to protect the back four, which is why Field plays there and not Dozzell.

But his secondary job, and it's huge, is to show for the ball and distribute it, which Field doesn't. Heis job seems to be pointing which way the GK and CB's should pass the ball, left or right, but not to him. Maybe it's by instruction, maybe it isn't, unless we're in the dressing room we won't know.

But the main problem is that we don't have a player who can play both parts of that role, and yet again we don't have players in the building who can play the style that our manager wants.
[Post edited 2 Jan 14:48]

Agree we don't have a player who can play both parts of that role and if we don't have players who can play the style the Manager wants, surely he has to be pragmatic and play a formation that best suits the cards in his hand?

Colback in his younger days could arguably play both parts of this role?

Either way, we have two players in Colback & Field who compliment each other and can double up as a two and play this role in a 4-2-3-1 or if we think we don't have the players to transition through the middle of the park in a 4-2-3-1 (as we saw at Millwall), surely a 5-3-2 gets Cannon & Paal further up the pitch to support the Midfield 3 and Front 2.

Don't understand formations well enough, but I do know if we persist in starting Dozzell in a 4-3-3, unless we sign Jude Bellingham & Declan Rice to compensate for his inactivity, we're done in this division.
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 15:32 - Jan 2 with 3519 viewsParkRoyalR

If not Colback, I'd like to see EDB & Field in the 2 (4-2-3-1) or with Chair in the middle of the 3 (5-3-2).

Whatever formation, the starting point has to be 10 outfield players with a will to win & stamina, and with Dozzell, this team can ill afford to be playing games a man down.
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 15:34 - Jan 2 with 3505 views1JD

Midfield has been a huge problem for some time now going back to Warburtons time as manager. We don’t have the right combination or combinations.

We not only lack a CM who is willing to take the ball back to goal and get on the half turn, but also able to execute it frequently, with an opponent breathing down his neck. For me the likes of Field and Dozzell are not willing to make themselves available, or choose to play a safe “wall pass”, because they know they don’t have the ability to do so.

Equally important for me is a CM that can break lines when everyone is being pressed or marked. We lack this type of ability which is why we appear so static going to right to left, and left to right, but not really going anywhere. Same as under Warbs at times.

A CM that can beat his man, drive forward, commit the opposition, and create angles, opportunities and passes that weren’t previously available. A Martin Rowlands type. EDB tried it once just before half time, and it opened up everything in an instant.

With that in mind and absent of a loanee who could do this, I’d also like to see Chair played as one of the three in CM, he did it recently to good effect, but has not been seen there since, which I have been surprised by. He also played there under Warburton on a couple of occasions, along with Eze as 8s, Field as a 6, in a 3-5-2 formation. Sheff wed away springs to mind were both dominated as central midfielders rather than 10s.
Hiding in Plain Sight - Andre Dozzell on 15:35 - Jan 2 with 3495 viewsdannyblue

I found myself shouting at Sam, yesterday, 'you're the midfielder! you play the [expletive] pass' when he gave it to Dunne again.

Dom Ball, for all his faults, was very prepared to receive the ball from the defence, invite a challenge, and roll it to face forward. The fact that the following pass was often a bit wild isn't the point. He had the confidence and ambition to 'move it through the thirds'.

As we are, we simply can't. And if we can't. Then yes let Field and ANOther just be blockers to clog the middle up, stop the counter, and all our attacking will have to come by working it up the flank for a cross. Back to basics.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024