Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leicester parking 13:48 - Feb 25 with 2364 viewsStanisgod

First timer Saturday, so any tips or info on where to park.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Leicester parking on 14:17 - Feb 25 with 2305 viewsted_hendrix

As you near the ground you can see the stadium on the left ahead of you, that main road that you come in on I swung the car around and parked on It as It had no parking restrictions and was great for a quick get away, not sure of course If that's still the case. (5-10 minute walk).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Leicester parking on 14:30 - Feb 25 with 2271 viewsStanisgod

Leicester parking on 14:17 - Feb 25 by ted_hendrix

As you near the ground you can see the stadium on the left ahead of you, that main road that you come in on I swung the car around and parked on It as It had no parking restrictions and was great for a quick get away, not sure of course If that's still the case. (5-10 minute walk).

Cheers.

Leicester parking on 17:10 - Feb 25 with 2171 viewsstowmarketrange

Leicester parking on 14:30 - Feb 25 by Stanisgod

Cheers.

According to the football ground guide they have implemented a lot of parking restrictions in the streets close to the ground.They say you can park at the Leicester Tigers rugby club for £10 and the postcode is LE2 7TR.
There is a park and ride scheme in Enderby,but the buses go back to the city centre after the game and you then catch another bus back to the P&R.
Leicester parking on 17:47 - Feb 25 with 2102 viewsNoDiddley

In front the goal?
Leicester parking on 18:11 - Feb 25 with 2077 viewsstowmarketrange

Leicester parking on 17:47 - Feb 25 by NoDiddley

In front the goal?

Only if you’re in a bus.
Leicester parking on 19:43 - Feb 25 with 1997 viewsslmrstid

Hi Stan (and anyone else going who hasn't been before)

There's a lot of permit parking restrictions now in the area within a 1 mile radius of the stadium so you will find free street parking quite difficult within a close walk, although there are options further out if you don't mind a bit of a walk.

Paid parking:-
- Leicester Rowing Club - Upperton Road - LE2 7AU - my running club meet here. Its 400m from the stadium, the rowing club open up their car park at £10 per car (they bloody rake it in!) BUT personally I wouldn't recommend it - it'd be a nightmare getting away from, the car park is quite small, and they double/triple park to squeeze as many in as they can. It is the closest though so I'll mention it.

- Freemans Common Industrial Estate - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6167746,-1.1321732,17z?entry=ttu - The vast majority of the businesses on this estate are shut at weekends and open up their car parks for football and rugby. I don't think they charge as much as the rowing club do and I think some of them try and undercut each other, so try anywhere around the square coming off Putney Road. There is also a multistorey car park for the University at the top of Putney Road near the Homebase. I have no idea how much this charges or whether it'd be possible to park in on a football matchday.

- Saffron Lane Athletics Stadium - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6137716,-1.1326667,17z?entry=ttu - a big car park is available at the Athletics Stadium, council run, no idea how much it charges. If you do park here though you're giving us some funds to stop the council constantly threatening to shut our track down though!

You may also have some luck for free on Sheridan Street, Shakespeare Street or Thackeray Street just south of Saffron Lane Stadium. I often park here for cricket, I'd say its a 25/30 minute walk to the stadium from here. Its not a permit area - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.612586,-1.1332031,18z?entry=ttu

Free street parking:-
- Morris Road Industrial Estate - just the other side of the railway line from Saffron Lane. None of the businesses here do football parking, they are probably 35-40 minute walk away so are just a bit too far. I wouldn't park in any of the businesses car parks but you will be able to street park. https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6130974,-1.1277046,17z?entry=ttu

Any of the streets from Dumbleton Avenue to Rowley Fields Avenue - however you are getting to 1.5 miles plus from the stadium here so its a bit of a walk. These are best reached off J21 of the M1 and follow the A5460 into Leicester - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6155691,-1.1595288,16z?entry=ttu

You might be able to get some joy on the terraced streets from Raymond Road to Hopefield Road BUT it is very tight so you might find no spaces at all. North of Raymond Road is all permit parking I think - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6213402,-1.1513213,17z?entry=ttu

Braunstone Avenue & Westcotes Drive - probably the closest outside of permit parking my side of the city but it gets busy and fills up so it might not be easy - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6304057,-1.1556986,17z?entry=ttu

I'm not quite sure of best parking options east of the stadium. Before I moved to Leicester we'd park in the Clarendon Park area and walk down in 15 minutes but in the last couple of years that's had permit parking introduced so is no longer viable.

IF you plan to use the paid parking options, DO NOT go down Narborough Road into Leicester city and down Upperton Road - Upperton Road has been having bridge works which causes havoc on the roads every day and is currently 6 months overdue in finishing and no sign of finishing anytime soon so will be an absolute nightmare. Its another reason I'd avoid aiming for Leicester Rowing Club.

Instead, for Freemans Common Industrial Estate I'd come off the M1 at J21, take the first available exit for the A563 ring road, turn left at the roundabout so you are following it south and east for Soar Valley Way. Follow for approximately 1.75 miles, take the A426 left at the traffic lights for Lutterworth Road, which becomes Aylestone Road. After approx 2 miles you come to a tri-junction with Aylestone Road/Saffron Lane/Putney Road - turn right at the traffic lights onto Putney Road. Go up Putney Road for approx 500m then you can enter Commercial Square and at this point search for a suitable industrial premises car park.

IF aiming for Saffron Lane, take the same instructions as above but continue STRAIGHT at the crossroads for the A426 at the traffic lights, remaining on the ring road which is now Glenhills Way. After about 0.75 miles, at the first roundabout (Pork Pie roundabout its called) take the B5366 for Saffron Lane (second exit). After approx 1.75 miles Saffron Lane Stadium will be on your right hand side, although you won't see the athletics stadium as its hidden, but you'll see the entrance on your right hand side by some metal gates.

Good luck everyone, if I had a big enough house you could all park at mine but...I don't (sorry).

If you have any questions about Leicester travel or parking though, feel free to ask me, either on this post or by DM.

Cheers

SLM :)
[Post edited 25 Feb 19:44]
Leicester parking on 20:37 - Feb 25 with 1901 viewslangtoft

In the back streets to the right of the ground there are lots of streets which have parking in lock ups, church car parks, school car parks. There is a big pay and display just around the corner next to the rugby ground - all not bad for getting back on the main ring road
Leicester parking on 16:21 - Feb 26 with 1603 viewsStanisgod

Leicester parking on 19:43 - Feb 25 by slmrstid

Hi Stan (and anyone else going who hasn't been before)

There's a lot of permit parking restrictions now in the area within a 1 mile radius of the stadium so you will find free street parking quite difficult within a close walk, although there are options further out if you don't mind a bit of a walk.

Paid parking:-
- Leicester Rowing Club - Upperton Road - LE2 7AU - my running club meet here. Its 400m from the stadium, the rowing club open up their car park at £10 per car (they bloody rake it in!) BUT personally I wouldn't recommend it - it'd be a nightmare getting away from, the car park is quite small, and they double/triple park to squeeze as many in as they can. It is the closest though so I'll mention it.

- Freemans Common Industrial Estate - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6167746,-1.1321732,17z?entry=ttu - The vast majority of the businesses on this estate are shut at weekends and open up their car parks for football and rugby. I don't think they charge as much as the rowing club do and I think some of them try and undercut each other, so try anywhere around the square coming off Putney Road. There is also a multistorey car park for the University at the top of Putney Road near the Homebase. I have no idea how much this charges or whether it'd be possible to park in on a football matchday.

- Saffron Lane Athletics Stadium - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6137716,-1.1326667,17z?entry=ttu - a big car park is available at the Athletics Stadium, council run, no idea how much it charges. If you do park here though you're giving us some funds to stop the council constantly threatening to shut our track down though!

You may also have some luck for free on Sheridan Street, Shakespeare Street or Thackeray Street just south of Saffron Lane Stadium. I often park here for cricket, I'd say its a 25/30 minute walk to the stadium from here. Its not a permit area - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.612586,-1.1332031,18z?entry=ttu

Free street parking:-
- Morris Road Industrial Estate - just the other side of the railway line from Saffron Lane. None of the businesses here do football parking, they are probably 35-40 minute walk away so are just a bit too far. I wouldn't park in any of the businesses car parks but you will be able to street park. https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6130974,-1.1277046,17z?entry=ttu

Any of the streets from Dumbleton Avenue to Rowley Fields Avenue - however you are getting to 1.5 miles plus from the stadium here so its a bit of a walk. These are best reached off J21 of the M1 and follow the A5460 into Leicester - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6155691,-1.1595288,16z?entry=ttu

You might be able to get some joy on the terraced streets from Raymond Road to Hopefield Road BUT it is very tight so you might find no spaces at all. North of Raymond Road is all permit parking I think - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6213402,-1.1513213,17z?entry=ttu

Braunstone Avenue & Westcotes Drive - probably the closest outside of permit parking my side of the city but it gets busy and fills up so it might not be easy - https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6304057,-1.1556986,17z?entry=ttu

I'm not quite sure of best parking options east of the stadium. Before I moved to Leicester we'd park in the Clarendon Park area and walk down in 15 minutes but in the last couple of years that's had permit parking introduced so is no longer viable.

IF you plan to use the paid parking options, DO NOT go down Narborough Road into Leicester city and down Upperton Road - Upperton Road has been having bridge works which causes havoc on the roads every day and is currently 6 months overdue in finishing and no sign of finishing anytime soon so will be an absolute nightmare. Its another reason I'd avoid aiming for Leicester Rowing Club.

Instead, for Freemans Common Industrial Estate I'd come off the M1 at J21, take the first available exit for the A563 ring road, turn left at the roundabout so you are following it south and east for Soar Valley Way. Follow for approximately 1.75 miles, take the A426 left at the traffic lights for Lutterworth Road, which becomes Aylestone Road. After approx 2 miles you come to a tri-junction with Aylestone Road/Saffron Lane/Putney Road - turn right at the traffic lights onto Putney Road. Go up Putney Road for approx 500m then you can enter Commercial Square and at this point search for a suitable industrial premises car park.

IF aiming for Saffron Lane, take the same instructions as above but continue STRAIGHT at the crossroads for the A426 at the traffic lights, remaining on the ring road which is now Glenhills Way. After about 0.75 miles, at the first roundabout (Pork Pie roundabout its called) take the B5366 for Saffron Lane (second exit). After approx 1.75 miles Saffron Lane Stadium will be on your right hand side, although you won't see the athletics stadium as its hidden, but you'll see the entrance on your right hand side by some metal gates.

Good luck everyone, if I had a big enough house you could all park at mine but...I don't (sorry).

If you have any questions about Leicester travel or parking though, feel free to ask me, either on this post or by DM.

Cheers

SLM :)
[Post edited 25 Feb 19:44]

Blimey mate, thanks for taking the time

Login to get fewer ads

Leicester parking on 12:36 - Feb 28 with 1292 viewsYorkRanger

On a slightly different tact, if there are any pointers on pre match pubs etc that would be appreciated. Persuaded my good lady that Leicester is a nice place for an overnight stay this time of year....
Leicester parking on 13:48 - Feb 28 with 1232 viewsSuperhoop83

Leicester parking on 12:36 - Feb 28 by YorkRanger

On a slightly different tact, if there are any pointers on pre match pubs etc that would be appreciated. Persuaded my good lady that Leicester is a nice place for an overnight stay this time of year....

I was about to ask the same thing.

We'll be getting into Leicester station just after 12 and could do with somewhere decent for a beer and, ideally, a burger too. We may also have an hour to kill after the match, so a pub near the station may be needed to celebrate/down our sorrows.

Suffering since 1978.

Leicester parking on 14:01 - Feb 28 with 1217 viewsslmrstid

Leicester parking on 12:36 - Feb 28 by YorkRanger

I'd take a look at St Martins Square in the city centre. Some nice eateries and bars in that section - its a small square thats nicer/posher than the rest of the city centre, only 10-15 minute walk from the station then probably 20-25 minutes to the stadium.

If you're staying into Sunday the Richard III visitor centre is worth a visit, and I think the cathedral is open again if you want to go and see his tomb (its been shut for refurbishment for 2+ years).
Leicester parking on 11:24 - Feb 29 with 951 viewsYorkRanger

Leicester parking on 14:01 - Feb 28 by slmrstid

I'd take a look at St Martins Square in the city centre. Some nice eateries and bars in that section - its a small square thats nicer/posher than the rest of the city centre, only 10-15 minute walk from the station then probably 20-25 minutes to the stadium.

If you're staying into Sunday the Richard III visitor centre is worth a visit, and I think the cathedral is open again if you want to go and see his tomb (its been shut for refurbishment for 2+ years).

Many thanks
Leicester parking on 13:22 - Feb 29 with 844 viewslangtoft

When my youngest was born and she was in high dependency care I pretty much lived in Leicester for best part of a month. Got to know the landlord at the Bowling Green (you'll have to google it mind) who basically invited me to drop in whenever I wanted to charge phone, have a change of scenery and a chat if needed. It became, and remains, one of my favourite pubs despite being a bit 'chainy'.

If memory serves correctly it's about a 10 minute walk to the ground. Decent enough food, and beer and plenty of space inside. Bloody decent landlord (and still was pretty good when I was last in a year or so ago).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024