Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The road to Wembley - History 10:23 - Apr 12 with 554 viewsNorthernr

The road to Wembley - History 12th Apr 2024 10:21
We’re back up to East Yorkshire tomorrow to face Hull City, and in preparation we're looking back to a classic cup tie from the 1980s, and the various horror shows Mark Hateley inflicted on both clubs for the history. 0

The road to Wembley - History on 12:32 - Apr 12 with 419 viewsngbqpr

I was living in Hull at the time of the 5-1, had stayed on for a little while after going to uni there. Couldn't believe my luck when the draw came out.

These were tough times for the Tigers, and obviously after the comfortable 3-0 first leg win for the higher ranked team, neither home or away fans were too fussed about a cold night on the terraces for the return. Me? I could walk to the ground, and as I had very limited funds at the time to get back south for home games. local aways were a must.

Thinking "this is the smallest Rs away turn out I've ever been part of" (and 39 years on I think it still is), I took time out in the second half to count the numbers in the away end.

I have never forgotten the number. 132 hardy souls (apologies if you were in the bogs and I missed you).

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

The road to Wembley - History on 12:35 - Apr 12 with 412 viewsJuzzie

The Hull away leg was the only game I missed in that Milk Cup final run. Such good games (Watford, Forest, Chelsea, Liverpool) and then fked it up on the big day.

edit: I remember thinking at the time I wanted Villa to overcome Oxford in their semi as I just knew the whole focus would be on Smith with his Oxford connection and we'd be the favourites all adding to the pressure.

I'd imagine Villa would have been favourites, or at least got most of the media attention, if they'd got to the final even though they were below us in the League.

No guarantee of anything but all the media hype on us (and the Smith>Oxford connection) really did not help us.

[Post edited 12 Apr 12:41]
The road to Wembley - History on 13:05 - Apr 12 with 336 viewsMrSheen

The road to Wembley - History on 12:32 - Apr 12 by ngbqpr

I was living in Hull at the time of the 5-1, had stayed on for a little while after going to uni there. Couldn't believe my luck when the draw came out.

These were tough times for the Tigers, and obviously after the comfortable 3-0 first leg win for the higher ranked team, neither home or away fans were too fussed about a cold night on the terraces for the return. Me? I could walk to the ground, and as I had very limited funds at the time to get back south for home games. local aways were a must.

Thinking "this is the smallest Rs away turn out I've ever been part of" (and 39 years on I think it still is), I took time out in the second half to count the numbers in the away end.

I have never forgotten the number. 132 hardy souls (apologies if you were in the bogs and I missed you).

I counted 88 in the away end at St James's Park at the beginning of the next season, though there might have been some in seats elsewhere. Not sure if it was the pain of the game-that-never-happened or the fact that some were still away on holiday that explained the poor numbers. Won 2-0!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024