Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR v Reading — Reading Chat 09:30 - Sep 24 with 3421 viewsdaib0

A warm hello again to all Rangers fans … look, just to let you know we’ve prepared a very detailed match presentation on the Q.P.R. v Reading game from our Reading forum, and the fullest respect shown to Rangers from our friendly site with full information produced equally for both sets of fans — but in all honesty far, far more on your team.

It's here: http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/9714945/1
And a fine mention given of your forum …

It would be really interesting for us to have any comments underneath from you. I know some people don’t particularly like other fans producing a shopping list of questions to answer, and I perfectly understand that, so I leave any comments freely and totally with you. But if you like, these following points might be used as a very basic guide in case you’d like to write to something slightly longer, but don’t feel at all pushed to go along this road if it doesn’t suit you:

A] What are currently the strongest areas of YOUR squad, and how do they click together?
B] Who should Reading specially look out for / fear most of your squad?
C] Any young stars coming through the academy that we should keep an eye on, now or in the future?
D] Realistically, where do you hope Rangers might finish if all goes more-or-less well?
E] How strong do you see the general level of the premier this season?
F] Any general opinions of Reading FC - either for or against (you can be honest!)

daib0

Royals Rendezvous - a friendly Reading forum

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 09:31 - Sep 24 with 3396 viewssmegma

Oh dear. Do you realise what you're doing ??
QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 09:56 - Sep 24 with 3329 viewsadhoc_qpr

A] What are currently the strongest areas of YOUR squad, and how do they click together?

Midfield by the far the strongest area of our squad, we are leaving players on the bench who would walk into a lot of prem teams. 2 good performances vs Chelsea and Spurs deserved more than 1 point.

Bobby Zamora is on form with 4 goals now and looks like our main threat. Hoillet if he plays has been unlucky not to score so far.

C] Any young stars coming through the academy that we should keep an eye on, now or in the future?

No, in a word!

D] Realistically, where do you hope Rangers might finish if all goes more-or-less well?

12th-14th would be nice, well clear of the relegation places and we should be more than capable of that.

Bit of a mixed bag really. I expect the top 8 to be the same teams as last season, but after that any team could finish anywhere from 9th to 20th and it wouldn't suprise me greatly. Form, injuries and luck etc will play a big part.

F] Any general opinions of Reading FC - either for or against (you can be honest!)

If you don't have anything nice to say...

I think you'll be down at the bottom end of the table 15-20th. You have some decent players in Pog, Kebe, Guthrie but far more players who have to step up to compete and i don't think will like Mcanuff and Legs-of-Wood.
QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 10:12 - Sep 24 with 3284 viewslondonscottish

Cesar has been excellent in goal and has immediately struck up a good rapport with Ryan Nelson. In turn this has brought out some good performances in the the other CB's, Ferdinand and Hill.

Faurlin and Granero are bossing central mid field, ably assisted by Park and (to my surprise) SWP.

Bobby Zamora is on form.

Faurlin/Granero/Zamora.

Nope

Would be very happy with 14th this season an 10th-12th next.

The top clubs keep getting stronger but the Manchester clubs have shown some defensive frailty on occasion. And Man Utd are v reliant on Rooney and VP. Chelsea have been consistent if a little toothless so far. I thing Arsenal could be the surprise package as they are scoring for fun and actually seem to have a developing a proper defensive shape for the first time in a decade.

Below that it's a lot more open and (in theory) anyone can just about beat anyone (like the last two seasons). Lots of teams are being set up to score on the counter and I thing the general standard of defending is a bit weaker than in the past. Which makes the whole thing compelling.

No really tbh - too early to judge in terms of this season. Norwich and Swansea showed how to do it last season (strong at home and usually picking up points from the teams around them). Rangers only managed to perform consistently at home at the very end and were very inconsistent through most of the season. So don't do what QPR did last season.....

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 10:23 - Sep 24 with 3238 viewsdaib0

fine, sensible replies, many thanks for those.
A few more would be most welcome, if any of you have a couple of free minutes ...

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 10:26 - Sep 24 with 3215 viewsFFE

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 10:23 - Sep 24 by daib0

fine, sensible replies, many thanks for those.
A few more would be most welcome, if any of you have a couple of free minutes ...

Our physio is pretty fit.

The bogs are pretty rotten in the White Horse.

Keep an eye for a lad called Shaun Derry.

Champions League

Not very

None at all.

I'm NOT the Fox

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 10:45 - Sep 24 with 3156 viewsloftboy

Midfield without a shadow of a doubt
Granero, Zamora, Cesar if he plays
No, Liverpool nicked Sterling and claimed him as their own
10th- 17th will do me
Strong, the gulf between the championship will become unbridgeable in a couple of seasons
Sorry cant see beyond the 2000 that used to grace Elm Park in the 70's wearing a sky blue kit without a hoop in sight for best part of two decades whilst never ever being called the R,s or singing our song either.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 11:15 - Sep 24 with 3103 viewsJuzzie

Central midfield - Faulin & Granero are sublime. We just need defence to click (getting better) and the striking pairings when we play two upfront, to do likewise.

B] Who should Reading specially look out for / fear most of your squad? Well, there are quite a few but it's how they perform on the day. Zamora, Hoilett, Cisse, Mackie can all do damage.

Nope. Our Academy/Youth set up has been decimated for over a decade due to the financial dire straits we were in. New training facilities have been approved and it'll take a good 2-3 years before it's built and fully up and running and another 5 years on top of that before we can even look to be producing any youngsters of note on a regular basis. This is why we're now a buying club and getting unfair stick for, IMO as the long term plan is to be self sufficient financially as well as in terms of acquiring players.

D] Realistically, where do you hope Rangers might finish if all goes more-or-less well? If more or less goes well, I'd also take 12th-14th.

E] How strong do you see the general level of the premier this season? I think it's stronger than last season. Funnily enough, I thought that we may have got promoted too early but actually I think it now favours us having had last season's experience as there just aren't any obvious teams that may go down compared to last season.

Honestly? I don't really have any problem with them apart from the fact they started to call themselves "The R's" or "Hoops" when their nickname is the Biscuitmen or The Royals.
I don't have a problem with the "they only had 5k at Elm Park".... if we're looking to increase our attendance with a new stadium (be it 25k/30k or 45k!![doubtful]) then that will happen to us too just as with a lot of other clubs that have built new grounds.

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 11:58 - Sep 24 with 3033 viewsNorthernr

daib0 - I sent some qs through for our match preview on e-mail, did you get them?
Login to get fewer ads

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 13:30 - Sep 24 with 2895 viewsdaib0

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 11:58 - Sep 24 by Northernr

daib0 - I sent some qs through for our match preview on e-mail, did you get them?

Yep, seen it on my e-mail now, just give me a couple of hours over lunch-time!

Meanwhile - FFF, no worries, they all count!!

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 13:33 - Sep 24 with 2879 viewsCharlie1

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 10:45 - Sep 24 by loftboy

Midfield without a shadow of a doubt
Granero, Zamora, Cesar if he plays
No, Liverpool nicked Sterling and claimed him as their own
10th- 17th will do me
Strong, the gulf between the championship will become unbridgeable in a couple of seasons
Sorry cant see beyond the 2000 that used to grace Elm Park in the 70's wearing a sky blue kit without a hoop in sight for best part of two decades whilst never ever being called the R,s or singing our song either.

+1 other than would add Faulin and if he finds his form / boots, Cisse

Re youngsters; not really but a few sniffing round

We'll be mid table.

Disagree on E)
Top half is strong but lower Premiership is very tight especially bottom 5 0r 6. It can be bridged. But from there, what and where do you go?!

Bang on with F

2:59 baby!

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 14:45 - Sep 24 with 2795 viewsNorthernr

Granero and Faurlin is a dream central midfield partnership, potentially the best outside the top six and sure to attract interest from higher up if they stay fit and in form.

Well, those two, but Junior Hoilett looked very good at Spurs on Sunday and Bobby Zamora is in really good form with four goals already this season. Cisse was a monster last season but has started slowly, he will surely click back into form soon as he was prolific in pre-season.

The academy has been woefully underfunded for years and the only two players we've produced - Dean Parrett and Raheem Sterling - were quickly picked off by Spurs and Liverpool in their early teens. There is massive investment going into it now so hopefully things will improve. For now we have promoted Michael Doughty, Max Ehmer and Michael Harriman into the first team squad of which Ehmer looks the pick, and lower down Aussie keeper Aaron Lennox impressed in the pre-season games.

10th-14th

The top is strong and getting stronger. The bottom is weak and getting weaker. We essentially know that Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea are going to be the top four with an occasional exceptional season from Everton, Spurs or Newcastle potentially troubling them. Lower than that though teams are just aiming for 17th or higher, surrendering early in cup competitions and focusing purely on that 42 point total each year. They're not going to get to the Champions League, nobody wants to be in the Europa League, people fear injuries from cup runs, so it's breeding mediocrity. There was a column in the West Brom programme last season from Dan Ashworth that basically said they were 14th prior to that match, if they spent another £20m they might be able to finish seventh or eighth, but what reward is there for that?

The identity theft is a little bit bizarre. Fair enough we both play in blue and white hoops, but why have you started shouting Come on you R's? You're the Royals, we're the R's. Seems a bit muggy to me.
QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 15:28 - Sep 24 with 2722 viewsJuzzie

A slight aside, sorry.....

"There was a column in the West Brom programme last season from Dan Ashworth that basically said they were 14th prior to that match, if they spent another £20m they might be able to finish seventh or eighth, but what reward is there for that?"

I don't know if the content is consistent for all their home games but that programme in particular was one of the best, if not the best, I've read in years.

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 16:00 - Sep 24 with 2658 viewsdaib0

Actually, it's more the 'Urzzz' than the 'Rs' ... and better to be separate, agreed. Perhaps younger fans say 'Rs' but most 'fanatics' say 'Urzzz' (with long u sound).

And the Royals doesn't even go down well with me - because I'm not a monarchist! But the name came as a result of a newspaper poll back in the late 70s (if I remember correctly), in my opinion there are better nicknames rlating to the area and the Thames Valley, but what can I do about that?!

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 16:02 - Sep 24 with 2648 viewsNorthernr

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 15:28 - Sep 24 by Juzzie

"There was a column in the West Brom programme last season from Dan Ashworth that basically said they were 14th prior to that match, if they spent another £20m they might be able to finish seventh or eighth, but what reward is there for that?"

I don't know if the content is consistent for all their home games but that programme in particular was one of the best, if not the best, I've read in years.

Yes it's always the best programme in whatever league they're in every season. A real labour of love for the editor.

He's from my school of not buying into all this "people have short attention spans and won't read a long feature" bolox.
QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 16:06 - Sep 24 with 2637 viewsMichael_Hunt

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 15:28 - Sep 24 by Juzzie

Agreed, I believe I said so at the time. It was the only real "read" that I saw last year and should be a publication that all clubs aspire to.
QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 17:26 - Sep 24 with 2538 viewsqueensparker

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 16:00 - Sep 24 by daib0

Actually, it's more the 'Urzzz' than the 'Rs' ... and better to be separate, agreed. Perhaps younger fans say 'Rs' but most 'fanatics' say 'Urzzz' (with long u sound).

And the Royals doesn't even go down well with me - because I'm not a monarchist! But the name came as a result of a newspaper poll back in the late 70s (if I remember correctly), in my opinion there are better nicknames rlating to the area and the Thames Valley, but what can I do about that?!

You seem like a nice guy daib0, but that's a pretty weak defence. It's exactly the same, and it only seems to have popped up at Reading in the last five years.

Stop stealing our songs and we'd all get along much better

(and kit)
QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 17:47 - Sep 24 with 2483 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 17:26 - Sep 24 by queensparker

You seem like a nice guy daib0, but that's a pretty weak defence. It's exactly the same, and it only seems to have popped up at Reading in the last five years.

Stop stealing our songs and we'd all get along much better

(and kit)

I agree. It might annoy me if it wasn't so pathetic, to be blunt about it.

No problems with you taking our Michael Meaker, though.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 17:56 - Sep 24 with 2458 viewsngbqpr

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 17:47 - Sep 24 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree. It might annoy me if it wasn't so pathetic, to be blunt about it.

No problems with you taking our Michael Meaker, though.

We'll keep Meaker for the Masters please

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 18:50 - Sep 24 with 2393 viewsRangersAreBack

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 16:00 - Sep 24 by daib0

Negligible difference between 'Urzzz' and 'You Rs'. Clutching at straws me thinks.

I've noticed that this season Reading made the switch from blue and white stripes with a solid back to fully fledged hoops. Can we have our kit back please?
QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 18:56 - Sep 24 with 2380 viewsderbyhoop

Won't repeat what others have already said. But my take on Reading is (and you may not like it)
From what I saw of last season, I thought they were the worst side to get promoted for 5/6 years. But you still won the title. The year we went up I believe we effectively sealed promotion by winning 1-0 at the Madjeski on a Friday night, depite finishing with 10. After that, I analysed our squad and thought we had 3 players of Premiership quality. Sadly, I wasn't far off and we scraped into 17th place. Last year's Reading side didn't have that many. If you stay up McDermott is a miracle worker.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 23:30 - Sep 24 with 2202 viewsdaib0

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 18:50 - Sep 24 by RangersAreBack

Negligible difference between 'Urzzz' and 'You Rs'. Clutching at straws me thinks.

I've noticed that this season Reading made the switch from blue and white stripes with a solid back to fully fledged hoops. Can we have our kit back please?

No, because Urzzz is really "You Royals" !

Reluctantly agreed that we were rather fortunate to be promoted, especially as champions - individually weaker than others, but collectively performed better than the sum of the individuals if you see what I mean!

Kit - Hoops? I try to keep a balanced view - if you check this big report out: "Essay on The ‘Real and Fake Hoops’ " you'll see that I credit you rather more than 90% of Reading fans would dare! - http://www.not606.com/showthread.php/170262-Essay-on-The-?Real-and-Fake-Hoops?-!

And comments on that welcome too!!!

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 23:44 - Sep 24 with 2172 viewsBrightonhoop

It's the identity theft that troubles me with Reading. Particularly in recent years. Why dont you have a lineage as a Club? You seem to have been blindsided by Madjeski and a bit of dough selling your soul along the way.
Not very positive I know, but for me Reading only stand out for what they have misappropriated from QPr and not on their own ID or merits. Which I thinkis a shame for any Football Club. Lineage and Identity is everything.
I wasn't keen on your manager in our Promoted season but he turned out to be very graceful in defeat that Friday night we beat you 1-0 with 10 men.
QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 23:59 - Sep 24 with 2163 viewsdaib0

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 23:44 - Sep 24 by Brightonhoop

It's the identity theft that troubles me with Reading. Particularly in recent years. Why dont you have a lineage as a Club? You seem to have been blindsided by Madjeski and a bit of dough selling your soul along the way.
Not very positive I know, but for me Reading only stand out for what they have misappropriated from QPr and not on their own ID or merits. Which I thinkis a shame for any Football Club. Lineage and Identity is everything.
I wasn't keen on your manager in our Promoted season but he turned out to be very graceful in defeat that Friday night we beat you 1-0 with 10 men.

fair enough, good post. It falls on just a few of us to seek out a 'Thames Valley' character, well different from that of London 'domination', but a few of us are onto it believe me!
We've got a problem reconciling the 70s/80s fan accustomed to the 3rd/4th tier with more more additions - some of whom are plastics I have to agree - who wouldn't be around if we suddenly plummeted to division 1 in a couple of years.
But - believe me - the core group on RR are trying to healthily rub shoulders with more established teams like QPR without sending you up the wrong way!! I, for one, appreciate the way that you are trying to stake a claim on a premiership future ...

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 00:06 - Sep 25 with 2155 viewsBrightonhoop

QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 23:59 - Sep 24 by daib0

fair enough, good post. It falls on just a few of us to seek out a 'Thames Valley' character, well different from that of London 'domination', but a few of us are onto it believe me!
We've got a problem reconciling the 70s/80s fan accustomed to the 3rd/4th tier with more more additions - some of whom are plastics I have to agree - who wouldn't be around if we suddenly plummeted to division 1 in a couple of years.
But - believe me - the core group on RR are trying to healthily rub shoulders with more established teams like QPR without sending you up the wrong way!! I, for one, appreciate the way that you are trying to stake a claim on a premiership future ...

Good post, thanks. I have developed a vague dislike of Reading for reasons mentioned in previous post so it is good to hear a core remains from the leaner years.
True, we may end going along wrong roads too trying to establish a Premier future, but it's too recent at this time that QPR were in the laps of the Gods. How we didn't go bust a second time I'll never know.
QPR v Reading — Reading Chat on 13:38 - Sep 25 with 1976 viewsdaib0

A bit of extra info:

Sporting Life
Ferdinand missing for QPR
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-preview/274387/ferdinand-missing

Reading Chronicle
Royals skipper admits: 'We must improve'
http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/articles/2012/09/25/62977-roya

Daily Mail
Injury-prone Dyer thanks QPR manager Hughes for his recall
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2208060/Kieron-Dyer-thanks-Mar

goal . com
Now is not the time to panic, says Reading captain McAnuff - The 30-year-old has pointed to his side's slow start in the Championship last season as a reason to remain calm after a harsh introduction to life in the Premier League
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/09/24/3400315

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024