Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A new Pope.Who cares? 18:43 - Mar 13 with 10820 viewshighlandbill

Its white smoke folks so the guys in red frocks have picked their new boss. (I wish we could all do that). Will he be black? Will he be young? (By young I mean under 60). Will he be an ex Nazi or child mollester? Will anyone other than Mrs Doyle give an f***? Either way its time this nonsence was relegated to a tiny paragraph on page 10. The result of the next QPR match is hugely more important than this dross.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

At my age I should not be doing this!

A new Pope.Who cares? on 11:56 - Mar 14 with 1569 viewsTacticalR

A new Pope.Who cares? on 11:33 - Mar 14 by pomanjou

Well I certainly dont belong to a faith but I do know a few folks who get a lot from religions and good luck to them. As I get older I too wish I had a faith.

The points you make are valid. In the era of the smart quickie poking fun at religions are an easy with the tradition of daft dresses and beliefs with some depth to them.

Whilst I dont have a faith/belief per se I do believe that many of the principals of some religions regarding goodwill to all men, honesty and loyalty are valid principles to stick by.

I think the Catholic Church is rapidly losing its power (in fact already lost most of it) but they undoubtedly still have influence amongst the world's leading movers and shakers.

Well put. Isn't a much greater danger the cynicism of our time? A time when, as the Eagles put it in 'Take It To The Limit', 'there's nothing to believe in'.

Air hostess clique

A new Pope.Who cares? on 12:00 - Mar 14 with 1562 viewsAlbRanger

A new Pope.Who cares? on 11:39 - Mar 14 by TacticalR

I have to say that I don't believe religion causes war. I say that as an atheist.

I think it's more that religion has been a justification for war. Throughout history most people have believed in religion. Given that context it's inevitable that warring groups would present their own interests in religious terms. Henry VIII started a new religion to grab church property and get rid of his wife.

Perhaps things haven't changed that much...people used to start wars in the name of invisible beings, now the West invades Iraq in the name of invisible weapons.

Well said - and I say that as a Christian
A new Pope.Who cares? on 12:05 - Mar 14 with 1557 viewsTheBlob

A new Pope.Who cares? on 11:56 - Mar 14 by TacticalR

Well put. Isn't a much greater danger the cynicism of our time? A time when, as the Eagles put it in 'Take It To The Limit', 'there's nothing to believe in'.

I think it's rather rich when The Church comes out and slams other characters out of a book as rank superstition and myth.
And aliens.

I'm more sympatico with Nodens,an Old English god,all to do with healing,the seas,hunting and dogs.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

A new Pope.Who cares? on 12:10 - Mar 14 with 1552 viewsTacticalR

A new Pope.Who cares? on 12:05 - Mar 14 by TheBlob

I think it's rather rich when The Church comes out and slams other characters out of a book as rank superstition and myth.
And aliens.

I'm more sympatico with Nodens,an Old English god,all to do with healing,the seas,hunting and dogs.

As in the world of business, so in the world of religion.

The diverse gods of the ancient world have been driven out, to be replaced by the monopolistic god of Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

Air hostess clique

A new Pope.Who cares? on 12:32 - Mar 14 with 1528 viewsWareRanger

I'm not religious. Don't believe in God. Never go to church. Couldn't give a stuff who the next Pope is.

But I do pray to someone everytime I watch Rangers try to defend a corner.....
A new Pope.Who cares? on 12:38 - Mar 14 with 1520 viewsTheBlob

A new Pope.Who cares? on 12:10 - Mar 14 by TacticalR

As in the world of business, so in the world of religion.

The diverse gods of the ancient world have been driven out, to be replaced by the monopolistic god of Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

A lot of them got "assimilated",like Mithras the sun god.The earliest depiction of Christ is with the sun behind his head(halo) - and horns.

A new Pope.Who cares? on 13:04 - Mar 14 with 1510 viewsR_from_afar

At the last count, only about 1.3 billion people cared.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

A new Pope.Who cares? on 13:13 - Mar 14 with 1503 viewsR_from_afar

A new Pope.Who cares? on 22:37 - Mar 13 by A40Bosh

Dave, save your breath mate, you are wasting your time on here with a lot of people who appear to feel that their own non belief in God or a Deity means that they also do not have to show any restraint nor respect to those who perhaps do have beliefs. The only time the Church gets a mention on here is when someone decides to jump on a story about a sexual abuse scandl by a priest and decides to paint all members both lay and clerical as kiddie fiddlers lead by an ex nazi.

No mention about all the good work that thousands within the church do in helping fight poverty around the world, who provide support to the bereaved and no intelligent thought to separate the institutional church fom the working church in many communities.

It's like saying all BBC presenters and northerners are dirty pedophiles cos of Mr Now Then Now Then.

Good post.

A church I used to go to helped build the local community centre and converted one of its own buildings, at great cost, into a gym targeted at recovering drug addicts.

Way too many cliches on this thread...

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

A new Pope.Who cares? on 13:20 - Mar 14 with 1499 viewsR_from_afar

While I am here, I wonder if this will be re-released in honour of the new pontiff?

RFA

A new Pope.Who cares? on 13:26 - Mar 14 with 1483 viewsTacticalR

A new Pope.Who cares? on 12:32 - Mar 14 by WareRanger

I'm not religious. Don't believe in God. Never go to church. Couldn't give a stuff who the next Pope is.

But I do pray to someone everytime I watch Rangers try to defend a corner.....

On corners, Christopher Samba is probably more effective than prayer.

Air hostess clique

A new Pope.Who cares? on 13:29 - Mar 14 with 1478 viewsMetallica_Hoop

A lot of

going on here.

Sorry Just an excuse to post some Dimmu

BTW this video is a tribute to 60's horror films like the 'Marque of Red Death'

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

A new Pope.Who cares? on 13:30 - Mar 14 with 1474 viewsTheBlob

A new Pope.Who cares? on 13:13 - Mar 14 by R_from_afar

Good post.

A church I used to go to helped build the local community centre and converted one of its own buildings, at great cost, into a gym targeted at recovering drug addicts.

Way too many cliches on this thread...

RFA

Very laudable to be sure.

Woman who lived next door to me in Orpington,bigwig in the Salvation Army she was.She and her husband used to minister to the dossers at Crimbo,but if her cooking was anything like the (alleged) Fruit Cake she gave us then their sorry lot must have been greatly deepened.Anyway,she used to say the dossers were subjected to Bible readings before they were allowed to dip their spoons into the steaming slop."No such thing as a free lunch" she used to chortle.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024