Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speedway 12:00 - Aug 14 with 2624 viewsQPRSteve

Any fans on here?

I got hooked going to Wembley Lions in the 70's. Also went to White City.

It was the Speedway GP last night at Cardiff. Won by a Brit, Dan Bewley, for the first time since 2007. Not that you'd know if you relied on the BBC for your news. Absolutely nothing, zero, nada.
Speedway on 12:31 - Aug 14 with 1981 viewsdixiedean

Me too Steve . Lived at Hanger Lane as a kid near the Fox & Goose and used to go regularly to Wembley . Remember Reidar Eide and Bert Harkins ( great names!) before it closed down and then followed Wimbledon. Sadly very few tracks remaining now . Bewley looks a class act . Must go to the GP one day but Cardiff isn’t exactly convenient.
Speedway on 12:45 - Aug 14 with 1957 viewsted_hendrix

I used to take my two lads to Swindon Speedway through the Summer months, they both rode junior grasstrack too but with work and the cost I couldn't keep It going, they both rode in the British grasstrack championship down in Cornwall but the poor little sods were outclassed, FWIW a young Joe Screen won the big prize that day.
I'm delighted for Dan Bewley who seems to have come on in leaps and bounds, I've been watching Great Britains Tai Woffinden's career since he first became World Champion, last night was another bad night for him not quite sure what's happened with him.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Speedway on 13:04 - Aug 14 with 1911 viewsQPRSteve

Speedway on 12:45 - Aug 14 by ted_hendrix

I used to take my two lads to Swindon Speedway through the Summer months, they both rode junior grasstrack too but with work and the cost I couldn't keep It going, they both rode in the British grasstrack championship down in Cornwall but the poor little sods were outclassed, FWIW a young Joe Screen won the big prize that day.
I'm delighted for Dan Bewley who seems to have come on in leaps and bounds, I've been watching Great Britains Tai Woffinden's career since he first became World Champion, last night was another bad night for him not quite sure what's happened with him.

I heard Tai became ill.

Let's hope Swindon comeback next year.
Speedway on 13:48 - Aug 14 with 1864 viewsNed_Kennedys

Went to Poole Pirates most weeks when I lived down there, a good night out with mates.
Poole were the most successful team in the UK for a few decades and had quality riders like Antonio Lindback, Darcy Ward, Chris Holder etc but the money has run out and they have demoted themselves to the 2nd division nowadays:
Speedway on 14:04 - Aug 14 with 1836 viewsterryb

I've only been there twice in my life, but Ipswich Witches still get reasonable crowds.

At least it seemed so last Thursday after I got stuck in the traffic leaving the stadium!
Speedway on 14:17 - Aug 14 with 1804 viewsQPRSteve

Speedway on 14:04 - Aug 14 by terryb

I've only been there twice in my life, but Ipswich Witches still get reasonable crowds.

At least it seemed so last Thursday after I got stuck in the traffic leaving the stadium!

Was a "derby" game against Kings Lynn.
Speedway on 14:36 - Aug 14 with 1773 viewsNoelmc

Went to watch a couple of White City Rebels fixtures in the 70's. Then in 1979, when I had a spinal cord injury and spent several months in Stoke Mandeville Hospital, there were two pro-riders on my ward following Speedway accidents, Pip Lamb and Steve Weatherley. All three of us left the hospital as wheelchair users.

My 92 year-old mother-in-law is a big fan and watches most of the TV coverage. Like F1 it seems a lot safer these days.
Speedway on 14:50 - Aug 14 with 1751 viewsQPRSteve

Steve Weatherley rode for White City Rebels when we done the league.
Login to get fewer ads

Speedway on 14:53 - Aug 14 with 1743 viewsBoston

Wouldn't describe myself as a fan, but often went to Wembley (occasionally the White City), more drawn by the 'nothing better to do factor' and it was waking distance from our house to the Stadium. Thinking back, the most lasting memories were the noise of the bikes and getting hit by stones thrown up as they rounded the turns if you stood at the ends - though that seems a little odd now I think about it, why were there stones at the tracks?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Speedway on 14:55 - Aug 14 with 1739 viewsBoston

I have White City Rebel programmes from those days.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Speedway on 15:15 - Aug 14 with 1689 viewsdezzar

Used to go watch Rayleigh Rockets in the seventies , think folded sometime around 1980
Speedway on 15:18 - Aug 14 with 1683 viewsted_hendrix

Speedway on 13:48 - Aug 14 by Ned_Kennedys

Went to Poole Pirates most weeks when I lived down there, a good night out with mates.
Poole were the most successful team in the UK for a few decades and had quality riders like Antonio Lindback, Darcy Ward, Chris Holder etc but the money has run out and they have demoted themselves to the 2nd division nowadays:

Been down to Poole a couple of times when Swindon raced their, lost on both occasions.
Darcy Ward was a bit special no doubt about that but sadly crashed badly in Poland whilst riding for his Polish club and has been back living in his native Australia Wheelchair bound.

Take a look at some of Tai Woffindens races.

Speedway on 16:00 - Aug 14 with 1645 viewsEsox_Lucius

I was a regular at Wimbledon when they had Tommy Jansson, Trevor Hedge, Bert Harkins, Ronnie Moore and Barry Briggs but I lost all heart in it after Tommy Jannson was killed grass track racing. Too close to home for me even though I enjoyed watching them all over the country too.

The grass is always greener.

Speedway on 16:06 - Aug 14 with 1630 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Speedway on 14:53 - Aug 14 by Boston

Wouldn't describe myself as a fan, but often went to Wembley (occasionally the White City), more drawn by the 'nothing better to do factor' and it was waking distance from our house to the Stadium. Thinking back, the most lasting memories were the noise of the bikes and getting hit by stones thrown up as they rounded the turns if you stood at the ends - though that seems a little odd now I think about it, why were there stones at the tracks?

Another attendee rom the 'nothing better to do' brigade.

I do recall Wembley and White City getting big crowds, but I used to get bored a lot.

Was it me, but there was always a distinct aroma to speedway meetings. Something akin to fried bacon and a BBQ.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Speedway on 16:24 - Aug 14 with 1606 viewsted_hendrix

Speedway on 16:06 - Aug 14 by PlanetHonneywood

Another attendee rom the 'nothing better to do' brigade.

I do recall Wembley and White City getting big crowds, but I used to get bored a lot.

Was it me, but there was always a distinct aroma to speedway meetings. Something akin to fried bacon and a BBQ.

*Was it me, but there was always a distinct aroma to speedway meetings. Something akin to fried bacon and a BBQ.*

That smell would be methanol fuel , the fuel used by the engines. (very distinct aroma).

Speedway on 17:50 - Aug 14 with 1553 viewsStanisgod

Used to go to Wembley to see the Lions, still got some programmes. Was it Gordon Kennett? Did they leave Wembley and become Eastbourne ?
Or is it too much sun?

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Speedway on 17:58 - Aug 14 with 1541 viewsQPRSteve

Speedway on 17:50 - Aug 14 by Stanisgod

Used to go to Wembley to see the Lions, still got some programmes. Was it Gordon Kennett? Did they leave Wembley and become Eastbourne ?
Or is it too much sun?

Kennett rode for White City. When they folded the team was bought by Eastbourne.
Speedway on 18:00 - Aug 14 with 1538 viewsdixiedean

Speedway on 16:00 - Aug 14 by Esox_Lucius

I was a regular at Wimbledon when they had Tommy Jansson, Trevor Hedge, Bert Harkins, Ronnie Moore and Barry Briggs but I lost all heart in it after Tommy Jannson was killed grass track racing. Too close to home for me even though I enjoyed watching them all over the country too.

Some great names there . Remember SlimJim Tebby ?! Tommy Jansson’s death was tragic - he would have become a great rider . Weird that NZ dominated the sport with Briggs/Moore/Mauger yet haven’t had a quality rider in years .
Speedway on 18:16 - Aug 14 with 1518 viewsslmrstid

Leicester have a speedway team that I think last time I looked were in the second tier of Speedway. But it was a long time since I looked so that could be well out of date.

Its been on a to-do list for years to wander up there and have a look but its quite a way from where I live so I've never got around to it. Maybe one day as it does pique my curiosity the handful of times I've seen it on TV!
Speedway on 18:21 - Aug 14 with 1520 viewsW13R

I remember as a kid my old man took me and brother to Wembley to see Ole Olsen & Ivan Mauger to battle it out for the World Championship. Loved the noise of the engines and the smell of the fuel in the air.
Speedway on 18:24 - Aug 14 with 1516 viewsted_hendrix

Speedway on 17:50 - Aug 14 by Stanisgod

Or is it too much sun?

Gordon Kennett was indeed an Eastbourne rider, he holds the record of getting a 21 point maximum at Swindon in a league match seven races and he won them all.
His Son Edward Kennett rides for Eastbourne but must be coming to the end of his career by now.
Bloody Covid decimated Speedway.

Speedway on 18:30 - Aug 14 with 1509 viewsQPRSteve

I think Edward's Kennett's dad was David, Gordon's brother. A third brother, Barney, rode for Canterbury Crusaders.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 20:43]
Speedway on 20:29 - Aug 14 with 1441 viewsCamberleyR

I used to follow it abit in the late 70s/early 80s when the likes of Peter Collins, Dave Jessup, Malcolm Simmons, Michael Lee were the top English riders. Attended a few meetings at the old Smallmead stadium at Reading which like a few of the venues from back then is no more.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Speedway on 22:07 - Aug 14 with 1353 viewsStanisgod

Speedway on 17:58 - Aug 14 by QPRSteve

Kennett rode for White City. When they folded the team was bought by Eastbourne.

Ahh, getting the two teams mixed up 🙄

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Speedway on 09:39 - Aug 15 with 1257 viewsdigswellhoop

we love speedway been going for years wembly with parents who met at harringay racers speedway rye house loads moer brilliant sport
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 21:26]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024