Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pre-season countdown: what's on your squad shopping list? 01:38 - Jul 4 with 1640 viewsstainrods_elbow

Only a month to go to our first game on 5 August - what does this squad still need?
For me, at a minimum, and pending other possible outgoings, we're short of:

(i) 2/3 central defenders (to replace Dickie + Balogun and owing to Glass-Salter's fragility issues)
(ii) 2 x defensive/attacking midfielders (to replace Amos and improve on last season's failings - this is a big season for Richards, and for us, either way)
(iii) 1 x right-back (to replace Laird)
(iv) 1 (or preferably 2) x GOAL-SCORING strikers (Martin now out of the building)*

* since about 1485 (BCE)

I'd suggest, as I say, that's a MINIMUM estimate for us to be competitive - if any of Dieng/Field/Chair/Willock depart, the requirements will obviously need to be upcycled.

Although the one or two recent incomers give a soupcon of hope, all those players are still needing to prove themselves at this level.

In the meantime, is anyone else not holding their breath?
[Post edited 4 Jul 2023 1:39]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Pre-season countdown: what's on your squad shopping list? on 02:36 - Jul 4 with 1603 viewsAndybrat

One centre half, Lewis Wing, don’t lose Illy or Sam. Taylor Richards to blossom
Pre-season countdown: what's on your squad shopping list? on 06:45 - Jul 4 with 1489 viewsHAYESBOY

As it stands without losing anyone. Minimum is:

A centre half. Have a feeling Balogun will get another year.
Two centre mids. If one is Lewis Wing then the other has to be more of a holding mid.
A quick striker who can play on the shoulder of defenders.
That is the minimum.

If possible I would add a right back. For me I would of gone for Laird at 500k.
Another centre half, Regan Pool? That could cover above also.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Pre-season countdown: what's on your squad shopping list? on 06:51 - Jul 4 with 1482 viewsstainrods_elbow

Hasn't Balogun been released?

Was Laird offered a deal before he went to Brum?

I worry our business is already done for the summer.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Pre-season countdown: what's on your squad shopping list? on 07:23 - Jul 4 with 1443 viewsHoopstar

There is no way on God's green earth that our signings are done for the summer.

This is QPR.
Pre-season countdown: what's on your squad shopping list? on 07:43 - Jul 4 with 1396 viewsstevec

We are so short in so many positions and so financially restricted that I’ve given up thinking about it.

Taking a never expect anything and you’ll never be disappointed viewpoint on this, I’m basing this season on certain relegation until proven otherwise.
Pre-season countdown: what's on your squad shopping list? on 07:49 - Jul 4 with 1375 viewscyprusmel

For me anyone with some pace, apart from Armstrong last season we were so slow and predictable by the time we mounted an attack we had all the opposition team facing us.

The game time that Armstrong had you could see with his strength and speed he was unsettling the opposition, two or three like him in attack or midfield would make a big difference.

We were beaten so many times last season because of the speed of other teams we were so pedestrian in defence.

Many teams had one or two players who could hit us at speed and turn defence into attack with just one well hit pass.
A quick centre half is a must.
Pre-season countdown: what's on your squad shopping list? on 08:05 - Jul 4 with 1329 viewsdmm

To replenish the squad with transfers and loans, up to 8 players would be required at this point. I expect a few Bteamers will be included in the squad which would reduce that number but however it's done I think we'll need:

1 RB, 2/3 CBs, 3 CMs, 1 striker.

Ainsworth has spoken of having a slightly smaller squad this season so that may affect things. Should there be outgoings they'll obviously need replacing.
Pre-season countdown: what's on your squad shopping list? on 14:31 - Jul 4 with 1171 viewsderbyhoop

Low expectations. Finishing 21st or higher could be seen as a success.

A new RB would be good. Kakay is OK but not quite good enough to be Championship first choice.
At least 1 CB. Glass Salter wont play more than 30 games and I wouldn't want to rely on Gubbins or Woodman to fill in. Although we may have to put faith in them.
Midfield - somebody to cover for/supplement Field.
A striker with pace. Smyth and/or Armstrong might be OK, but the jury is out on both.

Much will depend on who is still here at end of August. Dieng, Willock and Chair could all be gone. In which case we'll need replacements. For peanuts!!

Otherwise, we will be hoping someone steps up from B team.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024