Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dog Fostering Update. 11:24 - Sep 23 with 1393 viewsBrightonhoop

Firstly again to thank those stepped up to the plate during July, we are now settled in a stable place and can stay here as long as we want to. We are between a small town population of about 25,0000 and Lorca, a City of 80,000 that suffered a major earthquake in 2011, so less rural but few neighbours to disturb and more than enough private land to exercise the dogs. It genuinely wouldn't have been possible without the support we had to get here. It's a half decent place and the dogs are very happy. Much better than in a more rural area where we were isolated in emergencies, falling off the roof and breaking my arm being the scariest, 2okm from the nearest medical centre, then the car giving up the ghost has made it a very challengeable year. So it is a blessing to have found this place at such short notice and to be able to continue the work with the dogs. So I cannot thank our supporters enough, your help made the difference between packing it all in and returning to the UK and continuing.

We had a rain deluge that flooded the house late one night a couple of sundays ago, the water level rose dramatically and breached the back door, ran all the way through the kitchen and into the bathroom and living room. I had to punch two holes in the perimeter wall with a sledge hammer for the water to run off site and away, and discovered my old motorbike on its side, convinced it had been hit by lightening, but the deluge had softened the ground it was standing on and it had just fallen over. The rain in Spain.......by the standards of challenges this year it was manageable, spent the rest of the night bailing out the house of about 3-4 mil of water, but no lasting damage or loss fortunately. These floods are supposed to occur every 40 years or so, and although nowhere near as bad as 2012 when several people lost their lives, this is the second event in 3 years.

Now it is hunting season, meaning I walk the dogs on a lead, which I am supposed to by law even on private land, because there is a risk of shooting of the dogs escape and also from 'poison packages' left by the hunters to slow down wild boar. So we stick to main tracks and Ramblas, to keep them safe.

Partly for this reason, we have delayed the next intake by a couple of weeks, but also to give Jago and Rocky, my two, some respite from the comings and goings. With fewer mouths to feed I am also able to backfill the food store for the winter ahead and be better prepared for if/when emergencies occur in the future. The next Fosters arrive in less than a couple of weeks and will likely stay until December whilst I re-home them.

To that end, I am always seeking one off donations or monthly donations from supporters able to help us. So far we've had no horrendous Vets bills or associated costs, but the day to day costs include vaccinations, chipping and passporting as well as transporting, all of which mount up. We try to pass these costs on to adopters, but sometimes have to swallow these costs to ensure adoptions happen so donations are always welcome, in peace time as well as 'war time.' :-) Our Donors Page is here:

http://www.fivewaysonline.com/#/almeria-dog-fostering/4585234409

Thank you again for your ongoing support, simply could not do it without our supporters.

Dog Fostering Update. on 13:09 - Sep 23 with 1336 viewswombat

keep up the good work

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Dog Fostering Update. on 13:19 - Sep 23 with 1315 viewsBrightonhoop

Cheers Wombat, I think/hope worst of times are behind us now.
Dog Fostering Update. on 08:33 - Sep 25 with 1205 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Good to hear mate.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Dog Fostering Update. on 09:39 - Sep 25 with 1173 viewswombat

Dog Fostering Update. on 08:33 - Sep 25 by Metallica_Hoop

Good to hear mate.

saw the video of the floods mate scary stuff esp the when the cars started floating past

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Dog Fostering Update. on 10:25 - Sep 25 with 1148 viewsDWQPR

Dog Fostering Update. on 09:39 - Sep 25 by wombat

saw the video of the floods mate scary stuff esp the when the cars started floating past

Where my place is in Arboleas not far from where Brightonhoop is there is a 'ramble' which is in fact the Almanzora river and this dried river bed is some 100 yards across at the village. There are two bridges that cross it and during the floods of three years back, almost to the day now, the ramble was a raging torrent up to almost the road level of the bridge, as a result of 24 hours of torrential rain. It caused motorway bridges to collapse and also one country road leading from our village to the motorway there were five bridge collapses. The worst of the damage was close to the coast. We were fortunate that we only had a small amount of water enter our villa, although it was full of silt. To gage the amount that fell during that time, our pool water is usually around 4-5 inches below the edge of the pool. During that rain the pool was overflowing.

Brighton, on a side note, we are out during half term so I will try and make contact, would love to pop over and see what you are achieving. Hopefully the Spanish sun will continue to shine.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Dog Fostering Update. on 14:19 - Sep 25 with 1062 viewsSINGINGDETECTIVE

keep up the great work you are doing, just sent a bit so you can stock up on winter supplies
Dog Fostering Update. on 15:31 - Sep 25 with 1046 viewsBrightonhoop

Cheers fellas, DW certainly get in contact when you are over, perhaps partake in a beer or two locally as well.

Sining, thank you very much, very generous thank you.

Norf, cheers for making a sticky, ta.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2015 15:35]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024