Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ankle sprains 10:05 - Jan 6 with 1182 viewsBklynRanger

Anybody know a lot about ankle pulls/sprains/strains/knackerings? I've done something odd to mine. Was at the gym on Wed and Thurs nights - doing the right thing for mind and body etc etc...

On Friday morning I was cycling to work and felt a pull on the outside of my left ankle. Hobbled around a bit during the day but when I cycled home it seemed to make it worse - it's a far from strenuous 'commute' so I'm guessing that there was too much tension in my calf or something like that? The problem seems to be with one or more of the ligaments - the PTFL, ATFL or CFL according to google.

Anyway I'm now finding that my ankle constantly wants to roll out to the left. I'll try to do a proper R-I-C-E on it but wondering which calf/ankle stretches I should be doing to alleviate and prevent it. Thanks, any pointers gratefully received.
Ankle sprains on 10:20 - Jan 6 with 1158 viewstimcocking

Calf, or ankle? Not the same. Depending on what you've done, you probably don't want to be doing any stretches yet, i'd likely just rest it for a bit if it's bad. Strap it up if you want if it's your ankle.

Also, at the gym wednesday AND thursday? Are you talking cardio, or weights? Recovery is vital, you shouldn't be lifting weights two days running, or at least you won't get any benefit from it. Even cardio, depending on how old you are, no need to overdo it unless you're training for the olympics or something. Mon wed fri almost certainly going to yield better results with less time and effort.

Ps So, i don't know if you're a regular gym goer or not, but i've been training for over 30 years. Oftentimes, beginners get into it, start going daily. Usually, three months later they've almost all got burnt out and sick of it and given up. It's the textbook beginner's mistake. Much better to keep it simple and easy, mon wed fri as i said. Increases the chance of you persisting long term (apologies if you aren't a beginner, not trying to show off, just impart a little wisdom if i may). And besides, you'll actually get better results if you go less often.

Pps in those 30+ years, i've never heard of R-I-C-E, what is that? Oh googled it. Well, there you go, just rest basically.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2019 10:40]
Ankle sprains on 10:37 - Jan 6 with 1129 viewsBklynRanger

Ankle sprains on 10:20 - Jan 6 by timcocking

Calf, or ankle? Not the same. Depending on what you've done, you probably don't want to be doing any stretches yet, i'd likely just rest it for a bit if it's bad. Strap it up if you want if it's your ankle.

Also, at the gym wednesday AND thursday? Are you talking cardio, or weights? Recovery is vital, you shouldn't be lifting weights two days running, or at least you won't get any benefit from it. Even cardio, depending on how old you are, no need to overdo it unless you're training for the olympics or something. Mon wed fri almost certainly going to yield better results with less time and effort.

Ps So, i don't know if you're a regular gym goer or not, but i've been training for over 30 years. Oftentimes, beginners get into it, start going daily. Usually, three months later they've almost all got burnt out and sick of it and given up. It's the textbook beginner's mistake. Much better to keep it simple and easy, mon wed fri as i said. Increases the chance of you persisting long term (apologies if you aren't a beginner, not trying to show off, just impart a little wisdom if i may). And besides, you'll actually get better results if you go less often.

Pps in those 30+ years, i've never heard of R-I-C-E, what is that? Oh googled it. Well, there you go, just rest basically.

Thanks - I put a support on it yesterday which did help.

Yeah, 2 days in a row, but that's quite normal for me - clearing the mind and all that. I know it carries a bit of a risk of this kind of strain but the benefits generally outweigh the positives for me. I blame the new treadmills... :)
Ankle sprains on 10:41 - Jan 6 with 1119 viewstimcocking

Ankle sprains on 10:37 - Jan 6 by BklynRanger

Thanks - I put a support on it yesterday which did help.

Yeah, 2 days in a row, but that's quite normal for me - clearing the mind and all that. I know it carries a bit of a risk of this kind of strain but the benefits generally outweigh the positives for me. I blame the new treadmills... :)

Fair enough, if you enjoy it, go for it.

Running is tough on the joints full stop, particularly as one ages. Not massively keen on treadmills.
Ankle sprains on 10:45 - Jan 6 with 1110 viewsBklynRanger

Ankle sprains on 10:41 - Jan 6 by timcocking

Running is tough on the joints full stop, particularly as one ages. Not massively keen on treadmills.

Definitely yeah - can't do it anymore - in fact I meant to write elliptical!...
Ankle sprains on 10:48 - Jan 6 with 1106 viewsWatford_Ranger

Ankle sprains on 10:20 - Jan 6 by timcocking

No harm in lifting weights more regularly but mix up what you’re doing and probably avoid training the same muscles on consecutive days.

Also just listen to your body. If you feel fcked take a day off or do something light like swimming.
Ankle sprains on 10:58 - Jan 6 with 1088 viewsDannyPaddox

Do the I of the R-I-C-E thing every 2 hours. Nothing's better than a bag of frozen peas. Elevate your ankle so it's above your heart ie: crash out on sofa with feet up. Take ibuprofen and don't worry about buying the cheapest. A surgeon told me it's all the same just different boxes. I don't know too much about the lower leg but what I learnt from doing months of knee rehab is that there can be plenty of exercises to rehabilitate a part of the body but the exercises themselves are not directly on that part of the body. Ie: I was doing loads of glutes and core stuff. The principle being if these muscles are strong they take the workload off your joints. All the best with it.
Ankle sprains on 11:01 - Jan 6 with 1086 viewsloftboy

Did my ankle a few weeks before Christmas, funnily enough I can cycle on it no problems, I walk about 5 miles a day up and down stairs carrying heavy baskets of shopping again no problem, but the moment I get home and take off my boots it swells up and all night will have a burning sensation going through my ankle and up my calf, Dr reckons I need a few weeks off to completely rest it easier said than done working for the company I work for.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Ankle sprains on 12:06 - Jan 6 with 1028 viewsBklynRanger

Thanks Danny - good advice.

All the best with it LB - maybe aim for a week off it at least if you can? - easier said than done I know.
Login to get fewer ads

Ankle sprains on 12:28 - Jan 6 with 1001 viewstoboboly

Rest, rest, rest

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ankle sprains on 13:24 - Jan 6 with 943 viewstimcocking

Ankle sprains on 10:48 - Jan 6 by Watford_Ranger

No harm in lifting weights more regularly but mix up what you’re doing and probably avoid training the same muscles on consecutive days.

Also just listen to your body. If you feel fcked take a day off or do something light like swimming.

A fair post.
Ankle sprains on 16:20 - Jan 6 with 875 viewsSimonJames

Ankle sprains on 10:41 - Jan 6 by timcocking

I feel like treadmills are a bit like mastering the art of falling forward onto a road that's moving towards you. Relatively little glute or quad effort needed.

I do an hour of steady state rowing (HR 110-120bpm) every morning instead.
Works the upper body as well as lower, and doesn't put nearly as much stress on knee and ankle joints that had to survive 42 years of ice hockey/rugby.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Ankle sprains on 17:32 - Jan 6 with 829 viewsBklynRanger

Ankle sprains on 16:20 - Jan 6 by SimonJames

I feel like treadmills are a bit like mastering the art of falling forward onto a road that's moving towards you. Relatively little glute or quad effort needed.

I do an hour of steady state rowing (HR 110-120bpm) every morning instead.
Works the upper body as well as lower, and doesn't put nearly as much stress on knee and ankle joints that had to survive 42 years of ice hockey/rugby.

I'd really like to be able to row for longer but they moved the machines so now you can't look out the window when you're on them - which seems to have tipped them over the boredom threshold for me sadly. Good exercise though for all the reasons you say Simon. Maybe if I listened to an audiobook when I was on them. Used that for marathon training and it actually worked, though not in traffic :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024