Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments 17:59 - Jun 11 with 3090 viewsloftboy

The PFA are against this but surely clubs could unofficially bring this in by just refusing to pay more than a certain amount.
Rick Parry also want to abolish the parachute payments, definitely a good idea but again the PFA would step in as it would mean players having relegation clauses in their contracts.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 18:33 - Jun 11 with 3037 viewsQPR_John

Good luck in getting all clubs to agree to a salary cap
Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 18:35 - Jun 11 with 3034 viewsenfieldargh

unless theres a cap in the prem how can that work?

If a club sticks to its principle of keeping a tight budget its unlikely they can stay up.

On the other hand SWP, Anton Ferdinand, Bothroyd, DJ Campbell, 3 minute Dyer and who ever else we got into replace the promotion team of 2011 on inflated salaries did not improve us.

Tommy Smith, Clint, Gorkes all frozen out in favour of expensive crud.

Like to see a team go up and keep their squad and recruit from lower leagues.

come on QPR 2020 you know you can do it

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 18:42 - Jun 11 with 3028 viewsQPR_Jim

I think it depends on the way it's done, I don't think it would work unofficially as someone would always break rank to gain the advantage, if they can afford it.

I'd introduce a 25-man squad that you have to register at the start of the season with U21's not needing to be registered, so they could be in addition to you 25 over 21 year olds. You then say that the salary cap for those 25 players is £13m which would make an average of 10k a week for every player if it were shared equally. However theoretically you could pay a play 20k a week or 30k if you wanted to, so the PFA can't say you're restricting any individual players earnings.

It would hopefully promote using youth players and giving them game time and avoid massive squads. May also halt the rise in transfer prices.

I think players should all have a relegation and promotion clause in their contract, so I'd happily refuse to sign a player if they refused to have a relegation clause. If you buy someone to play in the premiership because you believe them to be, and they believe themselves to be, premiership quality then you pay them accordingly. If they turn out not to be up to it, they should share some of the pain.
Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 21:06 - Jun 11 with 2928 viewsderbyhoop

I've just seen details of football club financial performance. Published because earnings are going to be well down because of season being suspended and remaining games BCD.

Championship clubs had record income overall, but spent 107% of turnover on players' wages. If anybody thinks that is sustainable they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

I see an earlier suggestion of a voluntary salary cap. It only takes 1 club to break it, in pursuit of PL dream, and you quickly get back to spending more on wages than you bring in.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 21:24 - Jun 11 with 2905 viewsdaveB

A salary cap has a better chance of working than FFP imo, it will come in league 1 and 2 this summer, they are close to agreeing on it

Once the squad is agreed you submit your wage bill at the end of the transfer window, if it's higher than what is permitted then a points deduction. You could have it so relegated teams say their wage cap is 30 million and the rest of the league 20 million, they then have to bring that down within a year to 20 million or gets a points deduction.

There are ways to do it and harder to get around than the current FFP rules
Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 12:14 - Jun 12 with 2745 viewsderbyhoop

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 21:24 - Jun 11 by daveB

A salary cap has a better chance of working than FFP imo, it will come in league 1 and 2 this summer, they are close to agreeing on it

Once the squad is agreed you submit your wage bill at the end of the transfer window, if it's higher than what is permitted then a points deduction. You could have it so relegated teams say their wage cap is 30 million and the rest of the league 20 million, they then have to bring that down within a year to 20 million or gets a points deduction.

There are ways to do it and harder to get around than the current FFP rules

The problem is when PL clubs have players on 2/3 year contracts and then get relegated. If player refuses to leave, because nobody else is daft enough to pay the wages at said club, there's little the clubs can do. If they just get rid, they could be sued for breach of contract. And not many PL clubs are going to insert relegation clauses into player contracts as they'd struggle to recruit players.

It's easier below the PL, because you haven't got the same disparity between club income and wages paid. I seem to remember Martin Rowlands leaving behind a £65K per annum salary to join QPR, where his wages were probably 3-8 times that.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 14:12 - Aug 7 with 2540 viewsstevec

League One and Two are going ahead with wage cap with immediate effect for 20/21 season, we’ll done them.

Wonder if the Championship will have the balls to go through with theirs.

Be interesting to see how transfers pan out at our level, how are you meant to negotiate new salaries when existing ones may be needed to be scaled down to fit any new criteria?
Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 14:15 - Aug 7 with 2529 viewspaesanu

League 1 cap at £50k a week, am I reading that right???

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Login to get fewer ads

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 14:19 - Aug 7 with 2517 viewsstevec

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 14:15 - Aug 7 by paesanu

League 1 cap at £50k a week, am I reading that right???

For the entire first team squad I believe
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 14:21]
Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 09:20 - Aug 9 with 2278 viewsRoller

Leagues 1 and 2 voting for a salary cap is hardly a major step forwards considering that they already had one called Salary Cost Management Protocol. That is how FFP worked in those divisions. League 1 clubs were only allowed to spend 60% of their income on salaries, League 2 clubs 55%.

What they have now voted in seems to be to the advantage of relegated clubs from the Championship who will be able to keep their higher earners on their existing contracts as anything they are paid above the league average will be discounted down to that average.
Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 09:43 - Aug 9 with 2244 viewsstevec

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 09:20 - Aug 9 by Roller

Leagues 1 and 2 voting for a salary cap is hardly a major step forwards considering that they already had one called Salary Cost Management Protocol. That is how FFP worked in those divisions. League 1 clubs were only allowed to spend 60% of their income on salaries, League 2 clubs 55%.

What they have now voted in seems to be to the advantage of relegated clubs from the Championship who will be able to keep their higher earners on their existing contracts as anything they are paid above the league average will be discounted down to that average.

60% of Sunderland’s income versus 60% of Tranmere’s income does not make for a fair playing field.

At the new levels Sunderland will still be strong whilst potentially making a profit they can reinvest in club infrastructure. At £2.5 Mill even smaller clubs could compete as good owners more likely to step in with funds rather than doing a runner when they realise they cannot even compete let alone ever balance the books.

There will be some unbalance due to relegated clubs contracts but they’ll need to get back up fast if theyre to prosper from that short lived boost. And that’s assuming those on big contracts actually hang around.

Think we’ll gradually also see some good young sides emerge from lower leagues due to the new wage structure.

Best thing that’s happened in football for a long time.
Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 09:46 - Aug 9 with 2236 viewsGloucs_R

I read an article yesterday which spoke about the value of the current Fulham squad, including the players also out on loan. All I can say is 😲😲😲😲

On paper they should have walked this league.

I think abolishing the parachute payments would be a good start and inevitably lead to contracts having release clauses. That's a good thing in my opinion.

The PFA are no different to any other Union, Their only interest is in the people that pay their salaries.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 11:08 - Aug 9 with 2186 viewsRoller

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 09:43 - Aug 9 by stevec

60% of Sunderland’s income versus 60% of Tranmere’s income does not make for a fair playing field.

At the new levels Sunderland will still be strong whilst potentially making a profit they can reinvest in club infrastructure. At £2.5 Mill even smaller clubs could compete as good owners more likely to step in with funds rather than doing a runner when they realise they cannot even compete let alone ever balance the books.

There will be some unbalance due to relegated clubs contracts but they’ll need to get back up fast if theyre to prosper from that short lived boost. And that’s assuming those on big contracts actually hang around.

Think we’ll gradually also see some good young sides emerge from lower leagues due to the new wage structure.

Best thing that’s happened in football for a long time.

Personally I’m not in favour of restrictive practise. If a club is able to generate more revenue they should be able to spend it as they see fit. However, I suspect that the cap has been set so that it doesn’t cause to many issues for the higher revenue clubs and the smaller ones won’t have enough funds to get anywhere near it.
Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 11:51 - Aug 9 with 2129 viewsDavieQPR

I can agree with some sort of parachute payment but at the moment it is far too much and it should only be available to use on existing contracts.
Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 12:46 - Aug 9 with 2063 viewsMiss_Terraces

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 09:46 - Aug 9 by Gloucs_R

I read an article yesterday which spoke about the value of the current Fulham squad, including the players also out on loan. All I can say is 😲😲😲😲

On paper they should have walked this league.

I think abolishing the parachute payments would be a good start and inevitably lead to contracts having release clauses. That's a good thing in my opinion.

The PFA are no different to any other Union, Their only interest is in the people that pay their salaries.

I wish my Union had 1% of the power that the PFA has

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 13:49 - Aug 9 with 2022 viewsstevec

Salary caps in EFL and. Parachute payments on 11:08 - Aug 9 by Roller

Personally I’m not in favour of restrictive practise. If a club is able to generate more revenue they should be able to spend it as they see fit. However, I suspect that the cap has been set so that it doesn’t cause to many issues for the higher revenue clubs and the smaller ones won’t have enough funds to get anywhere near it.

I’d agree on restrictive practice argument where workers are being exploited but that’s hardly the case in professional football.

First off, at £2.5 million, squad numbers likely to be set at 22, that means these players would average a salary of £100k a year. Yep, £100k a year. For League One players. And that’s before promotion bonuses which are allowed. Not too shabby I’d have thought?

Second, our very own club have spent the money as they see fit. No issues with restrictive practice to hold us back. That went well.

And with our players taking salaries fit for a king and largely pissing it up the wall we get to turn up week after week to be confronted by an antiquated 1980’s ground that has seen next to zero investment for nigh on 35 years. Think what we might be sitting in if we hadn’t literally squandered every penny on ‘the workers’ who’s work has largely condemned us to the backwaters of professional football with absolutely zilch to show for it.

As in all walks of life there needs to be a reasoned balance. Footballs gone from underpaid players and owners coining it, to the other extreme of overpaid players and bankrupt clubs. Basically, as is usually the case, whoever held power took liberties with it. This is a step in the right direction.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024