Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? 20:16 - Aug 5 with 4877 viewshbk4894

serious question , when you started watching Rochdale , would you say they are better or worse now than they were then?
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 20:26 - Aug 5 with 3772 viewsSuddenLad

As I started watching in the early 1960's the answer has to be a resounding 'better'. If we miss out much of the following 40 years, we are now an attractive side who appear to be going places.

Patience is the by-word for Dale fans. Everything comes to he who waits. 😀

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 20:31 - Aug 5 with 3743 viewsjohndale

I've been watching the Dale since 1976 so I think my answer is obvious!
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 20:32 - Aug 5 with 3730 viewsnordenblue

You'll get very few who say we are worse now, thats pretty obvious?
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 20:35 - Aug 5 with 3722 viewsSimpkinsLeftPeg

Worse. Bring back Eyre.
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 22:29 - Aug 5 with 3560 viewsmeeee

I first started watching rochdale when i was 7 and the only players I can remember were Christie, Boardman, Doolan and Gary Brown. They were all dreadful
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 22:33 - Aug 5 with 3551 views442Dale

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 22:29 - Aug 5 by meeee

I first started watching rochdale when i was 7 and the only players I can remember were Christie, Boardman, Doolan and Gary Brown. They were all dreadful

Christie and Boardman were, the latter has had a few mentions recently...

Brown was ok, his size was always going to count against him but he wasn't a bad player. Doolan was terrible under Parkin but a big part of our initial revival under Hill. His form alongside Perkins when Jones got injured was very good.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2014 22:44]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 22:44 - Aug 5 with 3523 viewsmacro

I started watching when barrow was in charge... The only way was up
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 22:45 - Aug 5 with 3519 viewsfitzochris

Better now. Started watching in 1988 and regularly from about 1991. Until Parkin, I knew nowt but despair really. Hilly has taken us to a level beyond anything I thought I would see. Just a shame I don't see it often enough.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 22:47 - Aug 5 with 3515 viewsboromat

Definitely better now than the mid 90s. My first proper memories as I was only young was the Barrow era which has to be one of the clubs low points. However seeing the likes of Russell, Stuart, A.Johnson, Peake, I.Gray, Whitehall and a few others made it worthwhile.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 22:49 - Aug 5 with 3511 viewsPotterDale

1985- Steve Taylor & £5 on the nose Ronnie Moore will always be my boyhood heroes.
But to answer the question, Better
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 23:14 - Aug 5 with 3477 viewsTomRAFC

Came to my first games in 1995 so we are definitely better!

Did get to glimpse a few great players in those early years though. Steve Whitehall and Alan Johnson especially.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 23:29 - Aug 5 with 3444 viewsRotherhamDale

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 22:33 - Aug 5 by 442Dale

Brown was ok, his size was always going to count against him but he wasn't a bad player. Doolan was terrible under Parkin but a big part of our initial revival under Hill. His form alongside Perkins when Jones got injured was very good.

Still despise Dickov for that horror tackle in the pre season game that ended Brown's career. Horrible little shit manager.

Possession with progression.

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 23:56 - Aug 5 with 3410 viewsHopwoodblue

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 23:29 - Aug 5 by RotherhamDale

Still despise Dickov for that horror tackle in the pre season game that ended Brown's career. Horrible little shit manager.

First season was 73/74 one home win and one away win ! relegation was quickly achived.
Rock bottom you would think,but oh no we went on to become far worse over the coming years
But thankfully in more recent times it has become a pleasure to support the Dale and not
Be the laughing stock anymore.
Long May it continue.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 00:39 - Aug 6 with 3379 viewsTomRAFC

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 22:33 - Aug 5 by 442Dale

Boardman was woeful. He looked excellent against non-league opposition pre-season and we soon found out why. he was a non-league player. I recall a certain sandy lane fan who shall remain nameless once shouting out to Christie how much we had paid for him worked out in Chomp bars (which were a steady 10p at the time thank you very much!).

Brown was a decent prospect but his size was always going to be an issue. Had a couple of good games though.

Doolan game good for us and his partnership with Perks during Jonah's injury was key to that season. Then again you could have paired anyone with Perks he was that good at the time.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 02:51 - Aug 6 with 3352 viewsCornish_Dale

Better better better. Although my love for our club has not changed and I would not change the last 25+ years. I have seen glimpses of good teams and players and started watching players like Milner, Hilditch, Holmes, Reid,Flounders et al. Since we have teased and even flirted with play offs but never anything like the Hill era. I don't think Rochdale has ever had it so good. The future can be even better. In Hill we trust.
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 03:05 - Aug 6 with 3348 viewsThran

I started coming around December of the relegation season a few years back, at the time I was just enjoying being at the matches as it was a new and better experience than watching the footy on the TV and it wasn't until my 10th game in I saw a Dale victory (3-0 at home to Bury) so even though I still enjoyed coming, I found it hard to believe that Dale could actually win anything xD

The answer is definitely better.

At the time my mate kept telling me all about the mighty Keith Hill, boy was he right.

Poll: Bigger drop, Wigan or Tranmere?

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:57 - Aug 6 with 3278 viewselectricblue

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 08:38 - Aug 6 with 3243 viewsAucklandjeff

Obviously better now (along with the whole way the club is run) than when I started watching in 1985 but wins did seem so special back then (especially away from home!). Only missed a handful of games in 25 years and then the season we get promoted I immigrate to New Zealand in the December missing out on the celebrations....sods law! I did get to see us at Darlo 0-5 , County 2-7 and of course the play off win and Wembley. I still read this forum religiously and always need my daily Dale fix! Roll on Saturday:)
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 08:52 - Aug 6 with 3234 viewsYadHoDale

My first full season was 80/81. By no means the worst Dale xi ever, but nowhere near as good as the present one.

I reckon 3 players from that team might get into our current squad:
Brian Taylor as centre back cover
Eui Martinez as cover for Hendo/Hery
Mark Hilditch as an option up front - got 10+ goals per season, which compares well with Andrew/Donnelly.
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 12:59 - Aug 6 with 3092 viewsbornosdale

I started sneaking in when they opened the gates in the 50s and have supported ever since. I remember players like Frank Lord and Tony Collins, Ray Aspden Stan Milburn and remember good times in the League cup and our first promotion and the many re-elections as well but I believe the sustained quality of football under Keith as never been equalled.
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 13:38 - Aug 6 with 3045 viewsjokerthief

Agree with above ...Players from bygone days were pound for pound probably better..The two stand outs being Stan Milburn and Reg Jenkins...No molly cuddling these players, Spanish holidays etc to start pre-season training, no greedy behind the scenes agents wanting huge payouts..But times move on..
Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 13:51 - Aug 6 with 3027 viewsolympicdale

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 22:44 - Aug 5 by macro

I started watching when barrow was in charge... The only way was up

I caught the end of the Barrow era....that was enough..

Life is a game of fate.

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 13:55 - Aug 6 with 3022 viewsSuddenLad

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 13:51 - Aug 6 by olympicdale

I caught the end of the Barrow era....that was enough..

You were lucky it was only the end. Some of us had to endure the lot. In hindsight it would have been a more pleasant experience walking to Giggle Lane with a nail in my shoe.

To think he's assistant manager at a Championship club defies belief.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 14:00 - Aug 6 with 3005 viewsfitzochris

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 13:55 - Aug 6 by SuddenLad

You were lucky it was only the end. Some of us had to endure the lot. In hindsight it would have been a more pleasant experience walking to Giggle Lane with a nail in my shoe.

To think he's assistant manager at a Championship club defies belief.

Absolutely. I seem to remember a season under him where we did rather well at home and abysmally away (never the while playing attractive football), but then the home form went too and it all became a bit much.

Thank God the club appointed Parkin after him.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Rochale- best or worse now than when you first started going? on 14:27 - Aug 6 with 2967 viewsChaffRAFC

Started watching when Dave Sutton was manager so it's a lot better although I do have some good memories of the early years of my Dale watching. Also, after the shower of sh!te that was the God awful Barrow era, Steve Parkin was almost angelic for us. He got us playing good, attacking football and turned our club around completely. His second spell wasn't as successful but he had his work cut out from the start taking over from the disastrous Simpson and Buckley eras.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024