Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town Centre Redevelopment 21:07 - Apr 7 with 15643 viewsfinberty

Does anyone know the latest state of play with regard to the redevelopment? A flying start appeared to take place with the new bus station, council offices and tram stop. The black box and old bus station were flattened, as were St Andrew's Church and Broadwater Hall, to be replaced with - well - pay & display parking. And plenty of it.
The river is being opened up. Telegraph House is supposedly being flattened, but I walked past it last week so it still seems to be there. There is no sign whatsoever of new building works, plans, ideas, just the odd announcement in the Ob that Next and M&S are interested.

Does anyone have any info on what we can expect?
Town Centre Redevelopment on 09:41 - Apr 15 with 2988 viewsD_Alien

Town Centre Redevelopment on 20:32 - Apr 14 by EllGazzell

Come on Francis, lets have it f**kin right. He wasn't/they aren't Asian, they are Pakistani descendants from the UK, I'm getting tired of this Asian thing.

Let's call them Ukistani (with the 'U' pronounced as 'you')

I'm not ragging at you in particular, but your double Asian reference tipped me over the edge.

My auntie was from the Philippines, and I'm not allowing her to be bundled in with them dirty, horrible, creatures from Ukistan.

I too won't apologise for my comments, I'm as open to other people and cultures as you can be, but the English Pakistani community have a fookin lot to answer for in my opinion.

When compared with the Indian (all religions) and Bangladeshi cultures that I grew up with, the Pakistanis (becoming Ukistanis) have shown minimum effort in any type of adaption or adoption to the UK (however let's not for one minute pretend that British culture is anything wonderful to aspire to).

I can't be bothered with any more, but can we all stop referring to them as Asian, it's like calling Dr Shipley European.

It's the Czech Republic where you're based these days, I believe? Well, your remark about British culture can't go unchallenged.

As I've said a couple of times, in different contexts recently - speak for yourself.

The values we aspire to in the UK are toleration, freedom under the law, equality of the sexes, broadly democratic principles, religious freedom. Sure, none of these are applied perfectly, but it's not a perfect world, is it EG?

And sure, we have the remnants of a class structure, but we continue to work on it and anyone with the talent and determination to succeed can do so. We have the much-maligned NHS and sure, it's having it's problems, in no small measure due to it's success and pressures put upon it due to an aging population and immigration. I've complained in this thread about issues with Pakistanis, but lest anyone thinks I've got a racist agenda, let me also say that in 35 years of working in the NHS I've worked alongside some fantastic Pakistani people, and been friends with some of them. Of both sexes.

You"d have to ask yourself why so many peoples of different nationalities seek to make a new life for themselves in the UK, and no, it's not just the benefits since the vast majority come here to work, in freedom and largely in peace.

These are the cultural values we aspire to. I've no doubt the cynics will find ways to denigrate this defence of our way of life,but let me finish with this. Our values are under attack, and they do need defending. Cynicism is fine, but it's also a luxury enjoyed by the complacent. Be careful what you wish for.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2016 9:53]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Town Centre Redevelopment on 12:58 - Apr 15 with 2871 viewsmingthemerciless

Town Centre Redevelopment on 09:41 - Apr 15 by D_Alien

It's the Czech Republic where you're based these days, I believe? Well, your remark about British culture can't go unchallenged.

As I've said a couple of times, in different contexts recently - speak for yourself.

The values we aspire to in the UK are toleration, freedom under the law, equality of the sexes, broadly democratic principles, religious freedom. Sure, none of these are applied perfectly, but it's not a perfect world, is it EG?

And sure, we have the remnants of a class structure, but we continue to work on it and anyone with the talent and determination to succeed can do so. We have the much-maligned NHS and sure, it's having it's problems, in no small measure due to it's success and pressures put upon it due to an aging population and immigration. I've complained in this thread about issues with Pakistanis, but lest anyone thinks I've got a racist agenda, let me also say that in 35 years of working in the NHS I've worked alongside some fantastic Pakistani people, and been friends with some of them. Of both sexes.

You"d have to ask yourself why so many peoples of different nationalities seek to make a new life for themselves in the UK, and no, it's not just the benefits since the vast majority come here to work, in freedom and largely in peace.

These are the cultural values we aspire to. I've no doubt the cynics will find ways to denigrate this defence of our way of life,but let me finish with this. Our values are under attack, and they do need defending. Cynicism is fine, but it's also a luxury enjoyed by the complacent. Be careful what you wish for.

Very much my philosophy of life also.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 15:55 - Apr 15 with 2755 viewsEllGazzell

Town Centre Redevelopment on 09:41 - Apr 15 by D_Alien

"Based these days"...? I'm not a gypsy or in the RAF.

You believe correct, I've been living in the Czech Republic (soon to be renamed internationally to Czechia) for 8 years, and lived in the UK for 28 years before this, although I fail to see what the f**k that has to do anything. Unless you're speculating that not being resident in the UK detracts from my points?

Maybe you misunderstood my comments about culture, although after reading it back now, I can understand why - they are a little ambiguous. So I'll elaborate a little:

"however let's not for one minute pretend that British culture is anything wonderful to aspire to - it's on the whole sound principally, but, IMO, containing many flaws, which become more apparent when you spend time away and engrossed in other cultures. However I would add that there are some huge positives of British culture over Czech and German (I can only compare with what I have experienced)."

How's that?

I know you love the NHS, but I'm afraid to tell you that from my personal experience it was a huge let-down. I also am afraid to tell you that people I speak to here who have lived in the UK or worked in the UK, don't hold it in much regard either. I've even experienced doctors laughing and joking about it. Now it let me down personally, but I won't run it down, I think like a lot of British things, it is conceptually great, but alas, the execution holds it back. It's the medical version of Rover.

Regarding "other nationalities" going to the UK for work, if we are talking about EU countries of origin, there are nearly equal numbers of British people who choose to go into the EU to work, than go to the UK from the EU.

So the (legal) immigration question needs stripping out of the referendum argument.

As for non-EU nationals going to the UK, I would premise the majority of immigration over the last 50 years has come from countries who were once under the control of the British empire, ex colonies or other countries which were depredated under British rule or influence. In those terms, I would not be using them as a shinning example of the UK's attractiveness for "freedom and largely in peace". Whether they would have flourished as nations without colonial influence is a totally hypothetical point, so cannot be argued either way.

Anyway, I'm off to enjoy some Czech culture which is far superior to anything British in terms of cost and quality, and that's some tankové pivo - Plzeň in today's case; as I've had a shitty day dealing with the shambolic Czech system of, which the UK excels at in comparison, collecting the paperwork required to buy and renovate an old barn. You would not believe how important and complicated getting papers with a f***ing stamp is!!

na zdraví

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Town Centre Redevelopment on 16:28 - Apr 15 with 2706 viewsD_Alien

Town Centre Redevelopment on 15:55 - Apr 15 by EllGazzell

You believe correct, I've been living in the Czech Republic (soon to be renamed internationally to Czechia) for 8 years, and lived in the UK for 28 years before this, although I fail to see what the f**k that has to do anything. Unless you're speculating that not being resident in the UK detracts from my points?

Maybe you misunderstood my comments about culture, although after reading it back now, I can understand why - they are a little ambiguous. So I'll elaborate a little:

"however let's not for one minute pretend that British culture is anything wonderful to aspire to - it's on the whole sound principally, but, IMO, containing many flaws, which become more apparent when you spend time away and engrossed in other cultures. However I would add that there are some huge positives of British culture over Czech and German (I can only compare with what I have experienced)."

How's that?

I know you love the NHS, but I'm afraid to tell you that from my personal experience it was a huge let-down. I also am afraid to tell you that people I speak to here who have lived in the UK or worked in the UK, don't hold it in much regard either. I've even experienced doctors laughing and joking about it. Now it let me down personally, but I won't run it down, I think like a lot of British things, it is conceptually great, but alas, the execution holds it back. It's the medical version of Rover.

Regarding "other nationalities" going to the UK for work, if we are talking about EU countries of origin, there are nearly equal numbers of British people who choose to go into the EU to work, than go to the UK from the EU.

So the (legal) immigration question needs stripping out of the referendum argument.

As for non-EU nationals going to the UK, I would premise the majority of immigration over the last 50 years has come from countries who were once under the control of the British empire, ex colonies or other countries which were depredated under British rule or influence. In those terms, I would not be using them as a shinning example of the UK's attractiveness for "freedom and largely in peace". Whether they would have flourished as nations without colonial influence is a totally hypothetical point, so cannot be argued either way.

Anyway, I'm off to enjoy some Czech culture which is far superior to anything British in terms of cost and quality, and that's some tankové pivo - Plzeň in today's case; as I've had a shitty day dealing with the shambolic Czech system of, which the UK excels at in comparison, collecting the paperwork required to buy and renovate an old barn. You would not believe how important and complicated getting papers with a f***ing stamp is!!

na zdraví

There's a lot I'd agree with in that.

As for the NHS, I wouldn't say I love it. It is what it is: a huge, imperfect organisation and one which I know inside out, but it delivers in 90-odd percent of cases for the people who need it, free of charge. That simple fact is rarely publicised; the areas where it fails are under constant scrutiny. It's absolutely nothing like the Rover model you describe.

I remember you posting some time ago about your health problems, and how living (not based, sorry) in the Czech Republic has helped you overcome, or at least alleviate them. That's great. Enjoy the beer.

Town Centre Redevelopment on 18:38 - Apr 15 with 2613 viewsColDale

How's that?

na zdraví

10 years not 8 now. Them red letters that I still get act as a reminder.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 18:43 - Apr 15 with 2607 viewsmingthemerciless

How's that?

na zdraví

You need to try buying a car or an apartment in Spain if you want to see paperwork. Don't they love an official stamp out there also.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 20:33 - Apr 15 with 2526 viewsCamdenDale

EllGazzell's 'points/comments'.

He's welcome to them, Those on the NHS, well, I appreciate. D_Alien knows more. Our model of healthcare is difficult to sustain - but as EG says, we do love the idea of it and for great reasons. I'm all for supporting it in every way we can, as long as we can.

As to names he wants to call or not call people, no matter where his aunty comes from, well that's also his business. Not doing so, i.e. lumping all things together, is based on an idea also, the idea of a person having a value in their own right. What is called the Czech Republic has had no effing positive input on developing any of this.

So, EG, great, how super you having a nice Czech beer. Thanks for Mahler and being a lie down for any monster that takes over your country.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 22:05 - Apr 15 with 2456 viewsmingthemerciless

Town Centre Redevelopment on 20:33 - Apr 15 by CamdenDale

He's welcome to them, Those on the NHS, well, I appreciate. D_Alien knows more. Our model of healthcare is difficult to sustain - but as EG says, we do love the idea of it and for great reasons. I'm all for supporting it in every way we can, as long as we can.

As to names he wants to call or not call people, no matter where his aunty comes from, well that's also his business. Not doing so, i.e. lumping all things together, is based on an idea also, the idea of a person having a value in their own right. What is called the Czech Republic has had no effing positive input on developing any of this.

So, EG, great, how super you having a nice Czech beer. Thanks for Mahler and being a lie down for any monster that takes over your country.

Hey don't forget Skoda and Bata shoes.
Login to get fewer ads

Town Centre Redevelopment on 23:31 - Apr 15 with 2408 viewsEllGazzell

Town Centre Redevelopment on 20:33 - Apr 15 by CamdenDale

See, that's the difference between the likes of you and D.A. One's capable of having a debate with on an intellectual level, the other is just a dick head who sticks it's head out of the parapet now and then for a bit of gobby agro.

The beer was great, how was Camden?

Town Centre Redevelopment on 23:38 - Apr 15 with 2394 viewsD_Alien

Town Centre Redevelopment on 23:31 - Apr 15 by EllGazzell

See, that's the difference between the likes of you and D.A. One's capable of having a debate with on an intellectual level, the other is just a dick head who sticks it's head out of the parapet now and then for a bit of gobby agro.

The beer was great, how was Camden?

Ha, there's plenty on here who'd think you'd got that the wrong way round EG!

Edit: btw you just can't beat a pint of proper northern-brewed bitter
[Post edited 15 Apr 2016 23:39]

Town Centre Redevelopment on 23:44 - Apr 15 with 2380 viewsEllGazzell

Town Centre Redevelopment on 18:38 - Apr 15 by ColDale

10 years not 8 now. Them red letters that I still get act as a reminder.

Hehehe, Col, my citizenship application says 8 years, so that's what it is. The foreign police (maybe the UK could do with a version) are never wrong. Maybe you're confusing years away from Rochdale with years in CZ.

BTW, I got your letter, lovely, we're 99% if we can cancel our week's holiday in a Moravian shoe factory. I'll let you know asap

Town Centre Redevelopment on 00:01 - Apr 16 with 2366 viewsEllGazzell

Town Centre Redevelopment on 23:38 - Apr 15 by D_Alien

Ha, there's plenty on here who'd think you'd got that the wrong way round EG!

Edit: btw you just can't beat a pint of proper northern-brewed bitter
[Post edited 15 Apr 2016 23:39]

Why? Just cos you might not follow the grain, don't detract from anything.

I'll argue till the cows come home on anything with anyone prepared to have a proper debate.

For example your concept of Northern brewed bitter - I'll take a central European brewed pilsner any day of the week over warm ale.

Town Centre Redevelopment on 00:06 - Apr 16 with 2357 viewsD_Alien

Town Centre Redevelopment on 00:01 - Apr 16 by EllGazzell

I'll argue till the cows come home on anything with anyone prepared to have a proper debate.

For example your concept of Northern brewed bitter - I'll take a central European brewed pilsner any day of the week over warm ale.

If you reckon it's brewed warm up north these days, yours must come on a lollystick!

Same here, re: debates. People just don't know how to have a right good verbal set to these days, without taking undue offence. We're growing a younger generation of "safe spacers" who can't stand hearing things they're not comfortable with.

Town Centre Redevelopment on 06:08 - Apr 16 with 2292 viewsTalkingSutty

Can I have a Belgium please? I could bath in some of that suff.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 12:15 - Apr 16 with 2180 viewsmingthemerciless

Me too. Pilsner Urquell is a really nice drink. Not as good as it was before it was privatised but still very good.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 13:11 - Apr 16 with 2156 viewspioneer

Town Centre Redevelopment on 12:15 - Apr 16 by mingthemerciless

Me too. Pilsner Urquell is a really nice drink. Not as good as it was before it was privatised but still very good.

had a brilliant tour of the brewery in Pilsen back in the communist days.

Wonderful old building, wonderful beer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024