Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town Centre Redevelopment 21:07 - Apr 7 with 15641 viewsfinberty

Does anyone know the latest state of play with regard to the redevelopment? A flying start appeared to take place with the new bus station, council offices and tram stop. The black box and old bus station were flattened, as were St Andrew's Church and Broadwater Hall, to be replaced with - well - pay & display parking. And plenty of it.
The river is being opened up. Telegraph House is supposedly being flattened, but I walked past it last week so it still seems to be there. There is no sign whatsoever of new building works, plans, ideas, just the odd announcement in the Ob that Next and M&S are interested.

Does anyone have any info on what we can expect?
Town Centre Redevelopment on 18:20 - Apr 10 with 4236 views1mark1

Town Centre Redevelopment on 18:15 - Apr 10 by since58

Not the ones who are selling Colombian marching powder.

Ah, see what you mean.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Town Centre Redevelopment on 19:29 - Apr 10 with 4163 viewsBlueMessiah

Town Centre Redevelopment on 16:13 - Apr 10 by 49thseason

Apparently anyone from the EU can drive in the UK using their country of origin licence without having to take another test I wonder what sort of driving test they have in Latvia or Romania and does it cover driving on the left?
Of course, there is a section of our local population that might have UK driving licences but who seem to think that minor things like red lights, speed limits and road signs are for other people to worry about. The current weapon of choice that I keep seeing is a white Audi A8 driven by Lewis Hamilton's uglier and undoubtedly less proficient cousin. Perhaps I should by a dashboard camera - maybe we all should?

I bought a dash-cam, mainly to try to protect myself from the "crash for cash" brigade that proliferate our area. Have often wondered if evidence captured on a civilian camera such as that could be used as evidence by the police to prosecute the red light jumpers. Anyone know?

Poll: Do I Know You?

Town Centre Redevelopment on 19:37 - Apr 10 with 4148 viewsArthurDaley

Town Centre Redevelopment on 07:11 - Apr 8 by rochedale

There are 25 retail units, with M&S and Next already confirmed, to make it an ideal shopping experience, for me, they need to add... Debenhams, Topshop, Topman, Nando's/5 guys/Prezzo/Pizza express/Las iguanas (any 2/3 of those), Hotel Chocolate (or Thorntons), H&M, Primark, sports outlet - ideally JD, selfridges would never happen but would be awesome, electrical/gadget store, Mothercare, Gap, with the rest being made up of local independent stores including clothing, deli and leisure. This kind of presence would cater for most and surely attract a more pleasant level of clientele. One can dream...

If the council offed the right terms I recon they could get Selfridges.

A large VAT Dave

Town Centre Redevelopment on 21:29 - Apr 10 with 4071 viewsD_Alien

Town Centre Redevelopment on 19:29 - Apr 10 by BlueMessiah

I bought a dash-cam, mainly to try to protect myself from the "crash for cash" brigade that proliferate our area. Have often wondered if evidence captured on a civilian camera such as that could be used as evidence by the police to prosecute the red light jumpers. Anyone know?

Yes, it's happening.

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/nicked-by-dashcam-the-in-car-cameras-turning-drive

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Town Centre Redevelopment on 21:54 - Apr 10 with 4047 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Town Centre Redevelopment on 16:32 - Apr 10 by 1mark1

Yes and anyone from the UK can drive in another EU country on the right hand side of the road, without having prior experience of doing so, or being tested to do so. I think in general the vast majority if not all of European countries gave at least the same rigorous testing for driving as this country, even Latvia and Romania. Maybe there should be a EU standard of testing.

Don't talk bollocks.......letting the EU interfere with anything else is ludicrous.......most of us want OUT!

Soon you will not be able to go for a poo without Brussels agreeing.......and using authorized Izal!
Town Centre Redevelopment on 22:45 - Apr 10 with 4020 views1mark1

Town Centre Redevelopment on 21:54 - Apr 10 by Yorkshire_Dale

Don't talk bollocks.......letting the EU interfere with anything else is ludicrous.......most of us want OUT!

Soon you will not be able to go for a poo without Brussels agreeing.......and using authorized Izal!

So you don't think it would be good to have an international standard, a standard that would ensure minimum levels of competence for drivers internationally? Whether in or out of the EU, we will still have international travel, and I believe it would be good to know that everyone with a license from whatever country that took part in such a scheme, would have a decent level of competence to drive.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Town Centre Redevelopment on 00:13 - Apr 11 with 3982 viewsD_Alien

Town Centre Redevelopment on 22:45 - Apr 10 by 1mark1

So you don't think it would be good to have an international standard, a standard that would ensure minimum levels of competence for drivers internationally? Whether in or out of the EU, we will still have international travel, and I believe it would be good to know that everyone with a license from whatever country that took part in such a scheme, would have a decent level of competence to drive.

An international standard of competence is a great idea.

The EU has proven itself time and again to be an organisation incapable of delivering a standard of sufficient quality in any field. If you'd like to name one, please do so.

Town Centre Redevelopment on 01:12 - Apr 11 with 3957 viewsjokerthief

I hope there is some one pound shops, I mean what will Rochdale become if there are no pound shops.
Login to get fewer ads

Town Centre Redevelopment on 10:56 - Apr 11 with 3853 viewsrochdaleriddler

i bought a dash cam because of the appalling driving, and also the possibilty of being surrounded by family members, conned by false insurance claims etc. My car insurance also dropped by nearly £40. well worth it

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Town Centre Redevelopment on 13:47 - Apr 11 with 3769 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Town Centre Redevelopment on 00:13 - Apr 11 by D_Alien

An international standard of competence is a great idea.

The EU has proven itself time and again to be an organisation incapable of delivering a standard of sufficient quality in any field. If you'd like to name one, please do so.

Agree......an International Standard is spot on......what is n't spot on is letting the spongers at the EU getting their grubby fingers and snouts into the organising of said Standard.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 21:36 - Apr 11 with 3652 viewsrochdaleriddler

if m and s go to new shopping centre that will be another empty unit on yorkshire st

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Town Centre Redevelopment on 22:20 - Apr 13 with 3483 viewsmingthemerciless

Coming back from visiting a pal tonight we are waiting at the lights at the John St - Entwistle Rd junction. We've just come down past TKMaxx etc. A Golf GTI was waiting just in front of us at the front. After about 15 seconds of us waiting the Golf just set off straight through the junction and up the hill towards the Townhead Roundabout ! The lights changed about 30 seconds later.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 22:25]
Town Centre Redevelopment on 22:31 - Apr 13 with 3457 viewsR17ALE

Town Centre Redevelopment on 16:13 - Apr 10 by 49thseason

Apparently anyone from the EU can drive in the UK using their country of origin licence without having to take another test I wonder what sort of driving test they have in Latvia or Romania and does it cover driving on the left?
Of course, there is a section of our local population that might have UK driving licences but who seem to think that minor things like red lights, speed limits and road signs are for other people to worry about. The current weapon of choice that I keep seeing is a white Audi A8 driven by Lewis Hamilton's uglier and undoubtedly less proficient cousin. Perhaps I should by a dashboard camera - maybe we all should?

I've had problems with that car! I think I saved his life with my anticipation a few days ago.

And yes, he was Asian as are virtually all the shit drivers on our roads.

Others have alluded to it earlier far cleverer than I can, but the Asians are making our roads much more dangerous than they ought to be.

The run between Smallbridge and town has become an extreme sport!

And there's no point anyone who is horrified at my direct approach challenging me as I really don't give a shit about upsetting anyone!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Town Centre Redevelopment on 00:35 - Apr 14 with 3364 viewsD_Alien

Town Centre Redevelopment on 22:31 - Apr 13 by R17ALE

I've had problems with that car! I think I saved his life with my anticipation a few days ago.

Others have alluded to it earlier far cleverer than I can, but the Asians are making our roads much more dangerous than they ought to be.

And there's no point anyone who is horrified at my direct approach challenging me as I really don't give a shit about upsetting anyone!

The Pakistani bastard who killed a motorist at the Cem junction was featured on the North West news this evening. He'd gone through the lights at 80mph whilst on red, after bragging about taking 11 minutes to drive from Leeds to Rochdale the week before. He posted it online. He had no insurance and had passed no test. He got 6 years.

Six years is all the law will allow. The news featured the bereaved parents taking a petition to Downing Street to have the law changed.

There are dozens of such bastards on the roads of Rochdale, and every other major town and city, yet the police take very little action against them. Why?

And to think that some people get upset over strong language.

[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 1:01]

Town Centre Redevelopment on 09:02 - Apr 14 with 3269 viewsmingthemerciless

Town Centre Redevelopment on 00:35 - Apr 14 by D_Alien

The Pakistani bastard who killed a motorist at the Cem junction was featured on the North West news this evening. He'd gone through the lights at 80mph whilst on red, after bragging about taking 11 minutes to drive from Leeds to Rochdale the week before. He posted it online. He had no insurance and had passed no test. He got 6 years.

Six years is all the law will allow. The news featured the bereaved parents taking a petition to Downing Street to have the law changed.

There are dozens of such bastards on the roads of Rochdale, and every other major town and city, yet the police take very little action against them. Why?

And to think that some people get upset over strong language.

[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 1:01]

Motorists in general seem to be protected in this sort of incident.

I remember a few years ago a young bloke got into a row with some other young people in a pub car park. He got into his car and drove straight into them at speed. He killed a least one, maybe two, and seriously injured the others. He got a similar ridiculously short sentence.

If he'd have driven home and got a gun or a knife and then come back and set about them the sentence would have been much longer.

Same with that lunatic that drove his car at speed into groups of people stood outside " The Flying Horse " etc a few years back. His sentence was also ridiculously short.

The lad that was involved in the fatality outside " The Cemie " was a student at Oulder Hill during my time there. I was surprised when I found out he was the driver. He was a very quiet kid. I suppose people change when they get behind the wheel.

My slant on the issue is for some reason young Asian lads are indulged by their parents leading to them be allowed to drive high powered, expensive cars at an early age. I know this happens with English kids as well, but not to the same extent.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 10:39]
Town Centre Redevelopment on 09:39 - Apr 14 with 3134 viewsD_Alien

Town Centre Redevelopment on 09:02 - Apr 14 by mingthemerciless

Motorists in general seem to be protected in this sort of incident.

I remember a few years ago a young bloke got into a row with some other young people in a pub car park. He got into his car and drove straight into them at speed. He killed a least one, maybe two, and seriously injured the others. He got a similar ridiculously short sentence.

If he'd have driven home and got a gun or a knife and then come back and set about them the sentence would have been much longer.

Same with that lunatic that drove his car at speed into groups of people stood outside " The Flying Horse " etc a few years back. His sentence was also ridiculously short.

The lad that was involved in the fatality outside " The Cemie " was a student at Oulder Hill during my time there. I was surprised when I found out he was the driver. He was a very quiet kid. I suppose people change when they get behind the wheel.

My slant on the issue is for some reason young Asian lads are indulged by their parents leading to them be allowed to drive high powered, expensive cars at an early age. I know this happens with English kids as well, but not to the same extent.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 10:39]

Yes, to all of that. It's not just one nationality that flouts the rules - of course it isn't!

But there does seem to be a specific disregard within the Pakistani community for UK driving rules, just as there seems to be a specific disregard within the same community for female rights.

And it's not just youths. Some of the most dangerous drivers on the road are older Pakistani males driving clapped out vans.

It's not that the law needs to be changed with regard to dangerous driving - although it does - more that the preventative measures our police forces choose to take (or not take) are almost certainly for the same reasons why they chose to ignore the evidence of the grooming of vulnerable underage girls for so long.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 9:43]

Town Centre Redevelopment on 10:20 - Apr 14 with 3105 viewsdingdangblue

Town Centre Redevelopment on 09:39 - Apr 14 by D_Alien

Yes, to all of that. It's not just one nationality that flouts the rules - of course it isn't!

But there does seem to be a specific disregard within the Pakistani community for UK driving rules, just as there seems to be a specific disregard within the same community for female rights.

And it's not just youths. Some of the most dangerous drivers on the road are older Pakistani males driving clapped out vans.

It's not that the law needs to be changed with regard to dangerous driving - although it does - more that the preventative measures our police forces choose to take (or not take) are almost certainly for the same reasons why they chose to ignore the evidence of the grooming of vulnerable underage girls for so long.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 9:43]

Apparently you can only pass their driving test if you can park up in a really busy area and put your hazard lights on.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Town Centre Redevelopment on 10:46 - Apr 14 with 3062 viewsDaleiLama

Beggars belief that he only got a 6 year driving ban too. Hopefully this and his prison sentence won't run concurrently, otherwise he isn't being banned.

If I were the beak* on this case, it would be a lifetime ban (which I'm sure would be broken on the day of his release).

*all copyright royalties for use of outdated expressions donated to D_Alien's charity of choice

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Town Centre Redevelopment on 10:58 - Apr 14 with 3047 viewsmingthemerciless

The road where I live is plagued by all sorts of lunatics in expensive cars driving at excessive speeds down to the junction where they scream to a halt. I noticed in a recent leaflet posted by my local councillor that he's lobbying the council for a 20 mph limit to be imposed.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 11:16 - Apr 14 with 3039 viewswatford_dale

Town Centre Redevelopment on 10:58 - Apr 14 by mingthemerciless

The road where I live is plagued by all sorts of lunatics in expensive cars driving at excessive speeds down to the junction where they scream to a halt. I noticed in a recent leaflet posted by my local councillor that he's lobbying the council for a 20 mph limit to be imposed.

The chances of a fatality when being hit by a car drop from 7% to 1% when the speed is reduced from 30 mph to 20 mph and can see this being common place amongst most councils.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 11:30 - Apr 14 with 3022 viewsmingthemerciless

Town Centre Redevelopment on 11:16 - Apr 14 by watford_dale

The chances of a fatality when being hit by a car drop from 7% to 1% when the speed is reduced from 30 mph to 20 mph and can see this being common place amongst most councils.

I don't mind the limit just as long as it's not " enforced " by speed bumps !
Town Centre Redevelopment on 20:32 - Apr 14 with 2833 viewsEllGazzell

Town Centre Redevelopment on 22:31 - Apr 13 by R17ALE

Come on Francis, lets have it f**kin right. He wasn't/they aren't Asian, they are Pakistani descendants from the UK, I'm getting tired of this Asian thing.

Let's call them Ukistani (with the 'U' pronounced as 'you')

I'm not ragging at you in particular, but your double Asian reference tipped me over the edge.

My auntie was from the Philippines, and I'm not allowing her to be bundled in with them dirty, horrible, creatures from Ukistan.

I too won't apologise for my comments, I'm as open to other people and cultures as you can be, but the English Pakistani community have a fookin lot to answer for in my opinion.

When compared with the Indian (all religions) and Bangladeshi cultures that I grew up with, the Pakistanis (becoming Ukistanis) have shown minimum effort in any type of adaption or adoption to the UK (however let's not for one minute pretend that British culture is anything wonderful to aspire to).

I can't be bothered with any more, but can we all stop referring to them as Asian, it's like calling Dr Shipley European.

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Town Centre Redevelopment on 21:50 - Apr 14 with 2763 viewswindowsbug

Town Centre Redevelopment on 11:30 - Apr 14 by mingthemerciless

Like Entwistle Rd has become.

Mmmmmmm...me thinks
Town Centre Redevelopment on 22:09 - Apr 14 with 2745 viewsnordenblue

Town Centre Redevelopment on 11:30 - Apr 14 by mingthemerciless

You can set a limit at what you like it does mean the bell ends pay one bit of attention to it,they will still whistle past at 90mph
Town Centre Redevelopment on 09:32 - Apr 15 with 2544 viewsdingdangblue

Superb this

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024